Code of Conduct

Thread: EDP frags?

Default EDP frags?

How many non-niche fragrances have EDP versions of the EDT? So far the ones I own are:

1. Jaipur EDP
    2. Boucheron EDP
    3. Opium EDP
    4. Hanae Mori EDP

Are there any others I've overlooked? I like EDP's because they're the few scents I can count on to last during a night on the town.

Default Re: EDP frags?

Habit Rouge (gettign soon, I MUST!)
    Heritage (yumsters!)
    Rykiel Homme
    Guepard Gentleman

Hmm, I bet theres more!

[blue]*Bvlgari Pour Homme Extrême* (16%)
    *Helmut Lang* EDP
    *Lalique Pour Homme Equus* EDP
    *Lalique Pour Homme Lion* EDP
    *YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration*[/blue]

This is very much offtopic, but still, how do you decide what is niche and what's not?

Well, to me niche are houses that deal exclusively with fragrances, unlike designer brands who make clothes and other products. Another way I explain niche to my non-basenote buddies are "very expensive colognes". The reason they're niche is because they contain high quality ingredients (or so I believe) and take the time to make them high quality products (or so I believe) unlike mass marketed frags.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    Well, to me niche are houses that deal exclusively with fragrances, unlike designer brands who make clothes and other products. Another way I explain niche to my non-basenote buddies are "very expensive colognes". The reason they're niche is because they contain high quality ingredients (or so I believe) and take the time to make them high quality products (or so I believe) unlike mass marketed frags.
    I guess one could had CdG 2 to that list then, since CdG has a collection of clothes too. But usually they are packed together with niche houses. I guess there is no easy answer to the niche question and it is more of a feeling than anything else that decides. And the scent in itself of course.

It might sound like I am bitching, or trying to prove someone wrong, but that is not it at all. I was just curious to see the answer. Maybe there was no need for this disclaimer, but you never know

Jicky EDP
    Chanel Pour Monsieur concentré

About niche scents I always thinked were niche all the scents not sold in traditional mass fragrance stores like sephora or others but with a selling policy focused on a partiular non mass client target. That's why they are difficult to find, quite expensive and a bit with an elitish taste.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=teflondog link=1125700728/0#4 date=1125712285]Well, to me niche are houses that deal exclusively with fragrances, unlike designer brands who make clothes and other products. Another way I explain niche to my non-basenote buddies are "very expensive colognes". The reason they're niche is because they contain high quality ingredients (or so I believe) and take the time to make them high quality products (or so I believe) unlike mass marketed frags.
    I guess one could had CdG 2 to that list then, since CdG has a collection of clothes too. But usually they are packed together with niche houses. I guess there is no easy answer to the niche question and it is more of a feeling than anything else that decides. And the scent in itself of course.

It might sound like I am bitching, or trying to prove someone wrong, but that is not it at all. I was just curious to see the answer. Maybe there was no need for this disclaimer, but you never know [/quote]

I appreciate your input. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think there is a clear cut definition of niche. We all have our own opinions which is so great about this forum. I remember someone from Amsterdam jested by saying that Axe deodorant spray was considered niche where he lived.
    [smiley=grin.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    [quote author=shifts link=1125700728/0#7 date=1125761467][quote author=teflondog link=1125700728/0#4 date=1125712285]Well, to me niche are houses that deal exclusively with fragrances, unlike designer brands who make clothes and other products. Another way I explain niche to my non-basenote buddies are "very expensive colognes". The reason they're niche is because they contain high quality ingredients (or so I believe) and take the time to make them high quality products (or so I believe) unlike mass marketed frags.

It might sound like I am bitching, or trying to prove someone wrong, but that is not it at all. I was just curious to see the answer. Maybe there was no need for this disclaimer, but you never know [/quote]

I appreciate your input. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think there is a clear cut definition of niche. We all have our own opinions which is so great about this forum. I remember someone from Amsterdam jested by saying that Axe deodorant spray was considered niche where he lived.
    [smiley=grin.gif][/quote]

Niche = non mass. *It's funny, most companies and the industry as a whole have exploited "niche" to the sense it is no longer relevant. *Just like the "alternative" music scene from the early 90's that became so mainstream. *Many niche fragrances (were) defined by attention to detail, quality of juice, creativity, etc. and are made by independent companies that have the ability to go against the grain. *True "niche" fragrances rarely exist these days because the companies can't compete with global fragrance companies masking their products as "niche" when they really are not. *Slapping an interesting name on a product yet working with the same perfumers who create mass products hardly qualifies as "niche".