Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Quorum By Antonio Puig

Any opinions on this? Its really cheap at my local chemist thinking of purchasing it, i hear its heavy and spicy, aslong as its not anything like Aramis I will buy it.

Thanks
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Default Re: Quorum By Antonio Puig

I recently tried this at Penny's. I had read about it here and it got mostly glowing reviews. I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but I know what I like. I don't like this stuff at all. It had a very "chemical" smell to me and reminded me of cleaning products. I had to wash it off after an hour and a half. It is a cheap fragrence and it smells it IMHO.

Isaac

*shudder*

A harsh and cheap smelling herbal leather fragrance. I couldnt wash this stuff off fast enough.

To me, it's mean and nasty. I have a little bottle which I smell from time to time, and I enjoy the sense of wonderment that anybody would ever wear it.
    Every collection should have a bottle of Quorum as a reference point for what is meant by the term "harsh".
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    To me, it's mean and nasty. I have a little bottle which I smell from time to time, and I enjoy the sense of wonderment that anybody would ever wear it.
    Every collection should have a bottle of Quorum as a reference point for what is meant by the term "harsh".
    Renato
    YES YES! Harsh is the best description. I understand that scents smell different on different people, but this stuff was particularly nasty on me.

Isaac

Well I just don't know about all this. I like the stuff. Back in high school Quorum was downright respectable. Sparkling scent of tobacco, it never let me down. IPaid is right though, herbal and leather. What a beauty it is. I've got a few cheap bottles, I think I'll get to using them up. Seems like ten bucks buys 100ml. Can a man go wrong for that price? I think not!

Seriously, I like the stuff. On my wear-it-soon list.

When the weather gets a little cooler, man alive, you guys are going to love having wafts of this stuff coming up through your collar and sweater.

It might smell tough, but it is no hairshirt.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yvan

I'll stick up for Quorum too. *I had it for a while, and while I did, I liked it. *I noticed, if I remember correctly, moss, a carnation-type note, a powdery note and patchouli, I think, among others...it was a fairly smooth blend, though strong. *The main reason why I gave it up, in addition to wanting to trim my collection, was that the moss came off too strongly on me and gave me the impression that it might suit me better when I'm, say, in my 50s or 60s, so I may revisit it then.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Well I just don't know about all this. *I like the stuff. *Back in high school Quorum was downright respectable. *Sparkling scent of tobacco, it never let me down. *IPaid is right though, herbal and leather. *What a beauty it is. *I've got a few cheap bottles, I think I'll get to using them up. *Seems like ten bucks buys 100ml. *Can a man go wrong for that price? *I think not!

Seriously, I like the stuff. *On my wear-it-soon list.

When the weather gets a little cooler, man alive, you guys are going to love having wafts of this stuff coming up through your collar and sweater. *

It might smell tough, but it is no hairshirt.
    --Chris
    Serously Chris, given that your tastes and mine are often similar, I keep wondering if there are different versions of Quorum around.
    So far I've had three occasions to spray it on my wrist and get a woman to smell it and give me an opinion. Three times I've had extreme dislike - "Oh no!", "That's Awful" and "No way".
    Renato

Yvan

It came out in 1982, and I think it is very much of that "era," a power scent--it even reminded me of some scents from the 70s--certainly not fresh or citric. *But I'm sure it has its admirers, outdoorsmen...lumberjacks?!

Actually, I just took another look at the Basenotes page for this one, and a ton of guys own it. *Including marcel, who points out that other distinguished men who've worn it include "the Duc de Guermantes, Baron de Charlus, Swann, the diplomat M. de Norpois, the writer Bergotte, the painter Elstir, myself, Papa, etc., etc."

Hmm...a little googling reveals another clue as to who marcel and de Charlus might be. All the above names are characters that Marcel Proust wrote about! Well, that's narrowed it down to probably several million who read Proust! And maybe two thirds of those like cologne! I give up...

Thanks all, I will try and buy the smallest bottle I can find i am sure its dead cheap.

By the way Yvan your wardroble link should be,

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/viewwrd.cgi?drobe=Yvan
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5

Yvan

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    By the way Yvan your wardroble link should be,

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/viewwrd.cgi?drobe=Yvan
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quorum is AWESOME !!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I once tested something else by Antonio Puig but i don't know remember what it was called or what the bottle looked like, but i do remember hating it, I remember it smelt like sweat and gave me a headache I recall it having a small similarities to Aramis. *Alot of stuff I have tested that I have no memory of them but that Puig i can still remember it.

Top 5

Puig did Sybaris, which I recall liking a lot in the early 90's. Quite a powdery scent that one.

Yes, awesome! A certain era cannot explain everything, Yvan forgive, when you compare colognes from all over the world. And this one is a Spanish Cologne and, fortunately so, these have been created for a certain climate and with a certain type of person in mind - NOT to suit a maximum of people all over the world! I am very happy such ambitions still exist. It is in the same class as Knize Ten, and I am not sorry it sells at much less and thus remains affordable in terms of an average Spanish budget in Europe and South America(hopefully). This one is for a mature character not the Student Prince.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    I once tested something else by Antonio Puig but i don't know remember what it was called or what the bottle looked like, but i do remember hating it......
    You are talking of AGUA BRAVA, I am sure. Another down to earth scent which gets bashed here and there (if considered worth mentioning at all). Sea Tang and Lavender - Barcelona & Costa Brava to me. Top quality for a modest price!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Just came back from the Chemist with a 20ml of Quorum, sniff from the bottle it smells ok then i sprit some on my wrist and comes of very heavy, it smells just like this Adidas deodorant I have, as i keep sniffin my wrist its ok but not bad, has something in it that is a bit too strong i dont know what as I am not good at identifying notes overall it is good not bad.

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=Incedal link=1125614111/0#12 date=1125650691]I once tested something else by Antonio Puig but i don't know remember what it was called or what the bottle looked like, but i do remember hating it......
    You are talking of AGUA BRAVA, I am sure. Another down to earth scent which gets bashed here and there (if considered worth mentioning at all). Sea Tang and Lavender - Barcelona & Costa Brava to me. Top quality for a modest price!
    [/quote]

I think thats it, I remember asking the lady at the counter for Quorum at the time but she said it was out of stock, but that she had something new that was meant to be lighter, after testing Quorum today i doubt it was Aqua Quorum so it had to be the one you mentioned, I still get a headache even thinking about.

Top 5

I recently got this and like it a lot. It's wood, leather and tobacco, and to my nose, not harsh at all. A lot of similarity to RL Polo.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

The drydown smells alot like RL Polo

Top 5

I like Agua Brava much more than Quorum. Both are very inexspensive but the Quorum has too much of the overbearing BaMMM that just wont be tamed. It doesnt develope on me and I think thats what kept me off this scent. I used to have a large bottle ,but about 1/4 of the way through it I
    just couldnt take it any more . And on top of that the Formaldehyde top note reminded me of biology lab and all the dissected critters.

The only good thing I can say about Quorum is that it lasts for a long time. Puig scents are known for longevity. With that being said, I don't like this fragrance at all. It doesn't wear well on me and it's a little too "masculine" for my tastes. I'm a sucker for orientals so I guess it's the reason why I don't like this one. Not a hint of sweetness at all. If you want an alternative to this, you might want to sample the Aqua Quorum version. It's a fresh light scent with just a hint of spice from the original Quorum. It reminds me of Wings in a way and I like it much much much better. It's also within the same price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    It came out in 1982, and I think it is very much of that "era," a power scent--it even reminded me of some scents from the 70s--certainly not fresh or citric. *

Actually, I just took another look at the Basenotes page for this one, and a ton of guys own it. *Including marcel, who points out that other distinguished men who've worn it include "the Duc de Guermantes, Baron de Charlus, Swann, the diplomat M. de Norpois, the writer Bergotte, the painter Elstir, myself, Papa, etc., etc."
    I love the reviews by the mysterious de Charlus/marcel UK and, if they give a scent the thumbs-up I would certainly buy it blind, so accurate is their judgement IMO. Of course these reviews are a little tongue in cheek and historically inaccurate as in this case Quorum came out in 1982 and Proust was of course writing his great work in the early 20th Century!

Quorum will only really come into its own on a crisp winter day. Lets all try it again then - a future SSD?! [smiley=grin.gif]

Trot

A) Whenever I read a deCharlus review I get an itchy buying finger.

B) Quorum kicked ass when I wore it in high school back in the 80's. Chicks dug it. I bought a bottle a few months ago, and I swear my memory of it was completely different. It smelled much harsher than I recall from the good old days. Had to give it away to a coworker. Maybe I'll get a mini and revisit it again soon...
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

[quote author=Renato link=1125614111/0#7 date=1125644399
    Serously Chris, given that your tastes and mine are often similar, I keep wondering if there are different versions of Quorum around.
    So far I've had three occasions to spray it on my wrist and get a woman to smell it and give me an opinion. Three times I've had extreme dislike - "Oh no!", "That's Awful" and "No way".
    Renato
    [/quote]

Renato,
    I've long been surprised that we share tastes in so many fragrances, but that you still hold out and, despite torture, refuse to turn over and join Big Brother Quorum, who really does love you.

I don't know what it is but even a shot of this fine reviled juice on my wrist today makes me feel great. The blend is supurb--everything is tightly wound together yet comes out smooth. Yvan, I think it was, must be right about the carnation in it too as there is a bit of smooth powder that seeps out from within the deep rich vegetal tobacco leaves.

As soon as the temps drop 15 degrees here, or there's an overcast day, I'm going to wear Quorum and record all observations and reactions I can. I'll make sure I ask three ladies for reactions as well. I seem to remember Quorum being more sparkling with herbs, sort of like Molinard's Madrigal sparkles, and even VC&A's Tsar sparkles, but I'll give it a shot and see what kind of clothes it seems to go with and what kind of mood it makes me live for a day.

Quorum isn't a who's your daddy scent, it's a who's your big brother scent. But that's actually a dumb and meaningless line. Anyway, I'm happy to have Quorum share my nasty shelf with the other ones reviled.

I remember the old Yahoo board and your dislike of Quorum from there.
    --Chris

Certainly, Quorum is not a scent for all. Its a dry, herbal, spicy, leather and tobacco scent. By this description alone, you would tell that it would be very difficult for an "average" guy to be wearing this scent.

Quorum is not like any other scent out there... it has no pretensions (like most of the typically popular fresh scents), and it has no illusions whatsoever to be the best scent (niche, expensive scents). But it definitely has a character of its own. It was a great scent of its era, a powerhouse scent that screams masculinity with a touch of refinement. I do agree that it has some harshness (top notes i believe) but beyond that, everything settles to a warm and dry herbal accord leading to a tobacco/leather base.

With this, i believe that everything settles down to preferences.... You just have to wear what you want to wear. There's no one pushing you to wear something you dont like.

As with Renato's post, I really find it hard to believe that someone would really be disliking Quorum and yet would be keeping a bottle and smelling it from time to time.... Now, isnt that a bit of an irony? Maybe, deep inside he does like Quorum but consciously not aware of it

By the way.... I LOVE QUORUM!!!

John

It's definitely for someone older. I used to get a ton of miniatures as samples of this stuff in the 80s, which I proceeded to toss to the side.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    Quorum will only really come into its own on a crisp winter day. *Lets all try it again then - a future SSD?! [smiley=grin.gif]

Trot
    I'm up for this idea. Why don't we lovers/haters of the scent just decide informally that one day, soon after Northern hemisphere fall begins (I beg forgiveness from all of you friends across the globe for this self-serving suggestion of mine), we'll all wear it if we have it.

We could make it quick and easy. Someone will just say hey, now that the leaves are falling, let's all wear Quorum on Friday, or Monday, or next Wednesday if we've got some to wear. We'll do it quick and painless, direct and with results. It can't hurt to propose it anyway, and the ones who do it will sure have fun!
    --Chris

I own a 100ml bottle ...

Personally, I think it smells ROUGH. Definitely not something I wear when I want to be nice to the ladies... but when I wear it, I feel like a badass.

It's funny. I wore it once on a cool, summer day. When I met my dad that day, he said it reminds him of all the Portugese guys he measured suits for.

I believe Quorum was my 2nd bottle of real cologne I ever bought for myself.

The reason I bought it was I saw an ad in GQ. I recall the ad show two men in fine suits in a plush high rise office. Both looked like they were horse playing and slapping a high 5. To this day I remember the caption underneath reading Quorum the scent of success.

Me being the future junior republican I wanted to be so bought into that ad and bought a bottle of Quorum to feel that "greed is good" lifestyle.

I seem to like Smelling Quorum from the bottle rather then on my skin.

Top 5

There's something about it that's not good: does it have vinegar or formaldehyde in it? I wouldn't be surprised. Definitely harsh. AQUA-quorum sounds nice (from what I've read), but never tried it.
    Favorite blend:

Piment Brulant by L'Artisan (2 sprays)
    and
    Plum Japonais by Tom Ford (1 spray)

Aqua Quorum is nice, but it's had its time with me, not to mention brings back bad memories along with PS and Anucci.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

That's a scent... I thought it was made for cold weather.
    But it is even nicer when the weather is hot and I'm sweating.
    The lasting power is great.
    Yes, there is a cheap note similar to a note in Jovan Musk for men.
    But it smells very good and all the Azzaro, Polo and Sir Irisch Moos lovers should try it.
    Also similar to Kouros without the urine.
    Don't overspray!

I don't particularly care for this scent.

I don't think I'd buy the new formulation at this point, but if I didn't have a large vintage bottle I'd be on the hunt for one, that's for sure. Over time, it just gets better and better, which is not something you can easily find these days (most of today's frags go into a decent but generic base after a few hours, and that's if you are lucky!). And it lasts for 10 hours, minimum !

it's very strong

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't think I'd buy the new formulation at this point, but if I didn't have a large vintage bottle I'd be on the hunt for one, that's for sure. Over time, it just gets better and better, which is not something you can easily find these days (most of today's frags go into a decent but generic base after a few hours, and that's if you are lucky!). And it lasts for 10 hours, minimum !

Howdy Bigsly
    Is it easy to differentiate between vintage & current formulations ?
    My current stuff is running out & I prefer to find a vintage bottle if possible.
    Cheers

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

A lovely old school fragrance for men and women.

No matter how much it is bashed on BN, I still have a fondness for this one

Quorum is a loud and uncomplicated leather and tobacco fragrance. It's great if you want to smell like a chain smoker in a buckskin jacket.

I have a real soft spot in my heart for this one. I find myself reaching for when I'm visiting my mother (she loves fragrances and adores classic masculine scents), when I'm relaxing at home alone, or when I'm travelling long distances by car. Every time is put it on I wonder why I don't wear it more, as it really is a great scent.

Dimitrios, the vintage box looks like this:

Personally I actually like the current formulation better... (and I don't say that often).

It may be profoundly out of fashion but it's a very good composition. There's a lot going on in there. Check out the pyramid and keep sniffing.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I have the current formulation and its lasting power is just unreal. The heat makes it smell heavenly.

I have the vintage formulation and the current one, plus a local version that resembles quite closely the original one.

The local one and the vintage are just too bold, harsh and punchy. The current formulation is, IMHO, an excellent blend: it mellows down almost immediately into a soft leather scent that brings lots of compliments by everyone around. When told what it is, people are surprised it is a USD 25 scent easily found in drugstores around the city.

Its massive appeal due its price and distribution makes it rather offputting for fragrance snobs, though, LOL.

Bought it cheap at a local drugstore (about 9.95 €, 14$ or so), 100ml, i feel it kinda mature for my tastes (I've worn it though) and i gave it to my father. On him it smells heavenly, i don't feel like being near a smoker or something, it's a serious, mature and uncomplicated good blend that smells perfect in the right person.

Holy thread necropsy, Batman. A seamless jump from September 2005 to September 2011.

I rather like Quorum - one of those scents that kills all misery dead.

Dependent

I like the challenging, bitter opening, but the leather is all birch tar. To some of us, that just smells of wintergreen, which clashes with all the other groovy notes like tobacco and wormwood.

Quorum is the shit, and I used to not like it. I bought a small 1oz bottle, and it didn't smell right, but the 3.4oz bottle changed my mind big time. I have even been complimented on it which is rare. I also really like Quorum Silver.

if comme des garcons released quorum in an avant garde bottle and put a £100 price tag on a 100ml, people would be going mad over it, this scent is genius. a great way of evoking summer woodland strolls, invaluble stuff if you work in the concrete jungle imo, one of my current faves, and wouldnt want to live without.

Some have claimed there are at least 3 formulations, and that the middle one, pictured above, is actually not especially good. I have one that I think is original, and I also have a newer one, but since I didn't get a box with it I don't know if it is the second or third (assuming there were three). Yes, it's frustrating to deal with this reformulation issue, but since you can get lucky on ebay with Quorum, I suggest keeping your eyes open for an older one. Look for splash bottles (mine is a 200 ml one) or ones with a black collar around the sprayer area. I think those are the original formulation.

Check out this thread for pics of which one is which.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/288...-regulation%29

After finding out which one was vintage (thanks Derbyman), I was able to score a vintage (first picture) bottle of Quorum in the 4.2oz size, about 95% full. It just arrived this week. I'm not a fan of the current formulation, too much of something (patchouli?) in it, and I don't dig the grapefruit opening either. Let me tell you though, the the vintage stuff lives up to the hype. Dark, mossy, smokey, leathery and downright dirty. Amazing juice.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

I have just blind-order this one. I did make an order on Polo green, when I saw they had Quorum very cheap, so I thought why not ;-)

Good choices on both don't be too quick to judge on either of them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I unfortunately purchased the second formulation of Quorum. It was good, but not good enough for me. Too synthetic and lacking depth. Wish I had gotten the third formulation, or better yet stumbled across the original.

Couldnt it be that they just changed the design of the box? Where is all this information coming from. If it is from people remembering how it smelled 25 years ago then i dont think that is very good evidence. im sure they have changed ingredients in all this time but why would they change the box exactly when they change the formulation?
    i really dont care enough for a long answer from anyone, i got a new bottle from amazon for $10 and its great.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Couldnt it be that they just changed the design of the box? Where is all this information coming from. If it is from people remembering how it smelled 25 years ago then i dont think that is very good evidence. im sure they have changed ingredients in all this time but why would they change the box exactly when they change the formulation?
    i really dont care enough for a long answer from anyone, i got a new bottle from amazon for $10 and its great.
    the only real way to tell for certain what happened to the formula is to compare boxes, if at all possible. I don't know if the oldest formulation had any ingredients listed on its box, but wonder if more recent boxes have differences in the list.

I love it! It's my husbands signature scent and has been for over 25 years. On cost it's brilliant

It`s a cheap fragrance, but does anyone think it smells cheap?