Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain...OK, I finally GET it now!

Well guys...

I have a confession. I never really understood the whole Guerlain thing. I always thought their scents were pretty unremarkable, dated, stodgy, unwearable, and heavy. Oh, and boring. All Guerlain talk bored the HELL out of me.

And (Oh god forgive me for saying this) I thought that Basenoters belonging to the CULT OF GUERLAIN were the kind of precious souls who could be found dusting their bottles of Habit Rouge off, setting them on back down on their lace doilies, and then sitting down for a laugh with Hyancinth Bucket on the tube. OK, I thought the Guerlain lovers were a bunch of "old maids".LOL Sorry "Guerls"

I have Vetiver, because its a must have. I only really wore it to a wedding once, because I wanted something timeless. And I bought and love L'Instant (Its just my luck that some of you don't consider it a "real" Guerlain). And I've tried Jicky and Habit Rouge, and while they are interesting they belong in a museum somewhere. They are not made for these times.

Well, yesterday I was at Marshalls and I remember some of the posts about a scent showing up there for $20. I saw a bottle of Heritage and snapped it up unsmelled. After i got into my car, it dawned on me that the scent you were all getting at Marshalls was Imperial, I think- not Heritage. Oh well, I may as well sniff it.

Damn, that is one of the HEAVIEST, thick scents I've ever smelled. At first I was pissed because its just one of those scents that is not ever gonna be my style. It hit me with a big Obsession kind of blast. If L'Instant is Obsession on a diet, then Heritage is Obsession on a holiday binge! But I smiled really big, when I could detect a classic Guerlain signature. There seems to be that Jicky civet note. And also that chemical smell I remember from Habit Rouge. And lots of Patchouli. Kind of how I recall Givenchy Gentleman smelling. If you took Jicky and loaded it full of Patchouli, you would have Heritage. IT is STRONG. I sprayed some on paper and thought it a bit caustic. But then I took the paper and rubbed it on the back of my hand, and Heritage really is nice on the skin. It could really choke out a room, and it might get cloying. Definitely a tricky scent, but very deep and very well made. A definite sillage scent. It has those really dirty tension notes in there to offset the sugar and spice. And then I was shocked to see on the Basenotes profile of Heritage that it came out as recently as 1992. Can this be true? It seems like something from much further back.

Now I can see why alot of people are fans of Guerlain. I know its a historic house and its one of the oldest, and its products do seem like artifacts. I don't think Guerlain makes alot of everyday kinds of scents, but when you want to dress up and stand out from the masses, a Guerlain will definitely get attention.

Still, I think I'm gonna need a few more million in the bank before I can pull of Heritage. I can still admire it though... In the mean time I've got my L'Instant pour homme.

Default Re: Guerlain...OK, I finally GET it now!

Heh, that's funny, because I had always heard that of all the Guerlain scents, Heritage was the one that most people associated with "old people".

I personally don't understand this whole idea that some perfumes just smell too "old". I am a young woman, if I were to wear, I don't know, Shalimar, I don't think anybody would mistake me for an old lady. Besides, I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with being older, so maybe I'm just confused in general. I think it works the other way too. One of my mother's favorite perfumes is Blush (Marc Jacobs) which most people would probably say was created for a younger crowd. But my mother loves it and it smells really nice on her. That's just how I feel personally, of course.

Yes, on their own terms, the many scents of Guerlain are [imho] timeless, classy, bold, imaginative, daring, discrete, and romantic, excepting L'Instant, of course. [smiley=tongue.gif]

In deference to your post, and because my L'Occitane Vetiver flew the coop on my skin this morning like hens around a cat, I have just applied a number of dabs of glorious Heritage that I keep stashed in my office. It really is a wonderful scent! I agree it is similar to Givenchy Gentleman, which I also enjoy, but I prefer Heritage.

Oh, the scents I keep stashed in my office? Heritage, Guerlain Vetiver, Nino Cerruti Pour Homme, and Zino Davidoff!

Jeff

I've never seen civet listed as an ingredient in Heritage. I love Heritage but hate civet, so I don't think that Hertitage would be one of my favorite scents if it had civet!

I absolutely agree with LoneFish. Fragrances are not "old" or "young". It's funny that Heritage is considered by some to be "old" since it came out in 1992!

A young woman can wear an "old" scent like Shailmar or a young man can wear an "old" scent like Caron Pour Un Homme and no one in the general public would even have the remotest idea about this "young-old" crap. Just like a senior citizen who wearis an aqua scent. This distinction can be made by someone in the general public who may recognize a scent as being worn by an older person, but that is it. That member of the general public would have no clue as to when scents came out and who is "supposed" to wear them.

This "old-Young" thought is part of some hobbiests' hobby. But hobbiests like to study and analyze things and this "old" and "young" idea comes up. I guess it's part of the fun. But no one in the general public would care to bother about this. So I believe it's only an innocent hobbiest thing. Just like my fellow subway buffs who only like the old trains and wish for stations lit only by bulbs and trains without no air conditioning. No one in the riding public would ever think like this.

Hobbiests aside - hobbies are fun and these distinctions are part of the fun for some. But the worse is a person with no mind of his/her own and only goes along with the crowd, and thus would be afraid of being considered "old" or "dated". I find this kind of person pathethic as I always found those who give in to peer pressure pathetic.

I love Habit Rouge, Vetiver, Heritage and L'instant - I will love L'instant even more when the EDP comes out. I find no distinction at all between these scents based upon when they came out. Nor do I give a thought to wearing Caron Pour Un Homme one day and Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil the next. They are men's scents, plain and simple!

Well, welcome to the club!

For years I've extolled the virtues of various fragrances (and they all earned their due) but I FINALLY settled on a "signature fragrance" and it was Heritage de Guerlain!

Never mind that I've just today bought my 6th bottle at Marshalls (thats 6 in my wardrobe that are unused, not my 6th altogether...seriously, I have 6 bottles of it in my house), it is the single most manliest, sexiest (according to the women who tell me so...up to AND including my wife) and most sophisticated of men's fragrances. I tend towards the more woodsy, smoky orientals, and Heritage fits in there seamlessly.

Besides that, the house of Guerlain is a slice of history unto itself. In my office I have a box of sample bottles from Guerlain, with a picture of American G.I.'s standing in line to get a bottle of one of their creations. The ongoing American boycott of French products notwithstanding, what could be more American than the tradition of buying or wearing (or preferably both) a prized fragrance from the house of Guerlain?

Enjoy their offerings for what they are: a wonderful representation of one of the oldest arts of our species, replete with the tradition of quality and fantasy that the name evokes.

I am a huge Guerlain fan. I'm one of the L'Instant Pour Homme Lovers...and cannot wait for the Extreme version.
    I've been checking my T J Maxx stores hoping to land Heritage....but to not yet....When and IF I do....I Will let you know.
    I did purchase my Habit Rouge EdC at the Maxx....and I hope to score again.
    Glad that you finally saw the light and have joined the club.
    Welcome to Guerlain
    Gary

Damn, I swear it must be civet in Heritage, but then my knowledge of individual notes is only from what I deduce from fragrances having common notes. There is something common to both Jicky and Heritage, but I don't know what. Maybe its not the civet but I wonder what it is. And now that I think of it, Givenchy Gentlemen has civet and patchouli and smells like Heritage. I've never smelled singled out civet notes, but I'm still thinking that Heritage has some. I know that alot of times, the mention of civet is omitted from olfactory pyramids, so who knows...

They did have a few different Guerlains at Marshalls yesterday. Je Reviens, Vetiver, Shalimar, etc. I just hate it that they moved all the colognes right up near the cash registers, which makes it uncomfortable to browse. I already feel like a big fruitcake anyway, looking through all the colognes, and they have to make me do it right by the people checking out. Probably to keep people from opening the boxes and testing stuff.

Welcome aboard Indie!

This is also one of my favorite houses, though like many, I too was disappointed by L'Instant...not so much in the smell itself, but the longetivity is an issue and I'm looking forward to the stronger version too.

If you haven't yet, you HAVE to get your hands on a sample of MdM. Just one of the greats, period.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    .....Sorry "Guerls".....
    [smiley=grin.gif]

Perfume Houses are like Fashion Houses...you're looking for a certain type of scent, just like the way you look for a certain type of style of clothes to wear. Guerlain scents generally attract the refined gentleman/woman with sophistication and an air of sexuality and sensuality, IMO. In a way, this type of person wouldn't be much excited about the new Tommy Hilfiger jeans or J-Lo sweats. I'm still at a Guerlain Vetiver level, but hoping to make the jump to Habit Rouge one day. Haven't seen or tried the Legere version. Maybe it'll help make that jump!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

May I ask what is wrong with Hyancinth Bucket ?

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    For the non-Brits, Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouqet) is a character from a sitcom called "Keeping up appearances", she's an interfering old bag who gives her husband the run around, she's a social climber & moreso one whose manners are affected with a pompous swagger.

What is wrong with her? She's a twit of immense proportions. Hope this makes things much clearer?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    [quote author=cedriceccentric link=1125436789/0#10 date=1125481557]

Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouqet) ....
    ..and I always thought it was the other way around, why else should it upset her all the time, why should the vicar always correct himself just in time?
    Yes Hyacinth should collect either Roger & Gallet or Guerlain Perfumes - if just to dust them! If you start, that's boundless - what would she make her husband wear (instead of whatever after shave, I imagine) and what would she send to their son for his birthday - Le Male? And Rose what does she wear, I wonder.

Back to the subject: I think HERITAGE w a n t s to smell like plush old 19th century! For which other reason that name?
    All in all, Guerlain is famous for his ladies perfumes, two or three of old days Eaux de whatever and hardly for their male frags, good as they may be. And all of this, I am afraid, is almost history coming to its very end.

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm madly in love with Heritage and get an insane amount of compliments on it wherever I go. I recently traded my Habit Rouge and I regret it immensely, fortunately I will be re-aquiring it this evening as a 3.4oz is on sale at my local Filenes for 29.99. Their Vetiver is perfect though, very clean and yet somehow dark at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy

They did have a few different Guerlains at Marshalls yesterday. Je Reviens, Vetiver, Shalimar, etc. I just hate it that they moved all the colognes right up near the cash registers, which makes it uncomfortable to browse. I already feel like a big fruitcake anyway, looking through all the colognes, and they have to make me do it right by the people checking out. Probably to keep people from opening the boxes and testing stuff.
    Man, I know exactly what you mean! I feel the same way at Marshalls.

As for Guerlain--I consider them as classy and "nichey" as any of the Creeds/L'Artisans/MPGs, etc. As soon as I get the $ I'm scoring bottles of Heritage and Coriolan. Pure class in a bottle.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Hehe, I think a lot of the fascination with Guerlain has to do with the intellectual side of the perfumes. For me it does; tradition, the generations, the stories you hear behind the scents (what if they are all just PR-tricks!...the thought of that makes me sad....) I adore many of the scents; the classicals l´heure bleu, Mitsuko, Jicky, Vetiver and also some of the "younger" (or basically: lighter) ones. But even though I´m not to fond of the actual scent of for example Shalimar, I kind of "respect" the perfume and find it interesting in a way....

Must say I the picture of the Guerlain-fanatics dusting Habit Rouge-bottles on lace doilies

I was in Marshall's a few months ago, and all I was doing was sniffing (not even spraying!) some stuff that was already opened, and this mean old lady yelled at me across the store to stop! Sheesh! I think both TJ Maxx and Marshalls have recently instituted new policies whereby this kind of behavior is frowned upon (it used to be overlooked) and even open boxes are now taped shut. Too bad, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Perfume Houses are like Fashion Houses...you're looking for a certain type of scent, just like the way you look for a certain type of style of clothes to wear. *Guerlain scents generally attract the refined gentleman/woman with sophistication and an air of sexuality and sensuality, IMO. *In a way, this type of person wouldn't be much excited about the new Tommy Hilfiger jeans or J-Lo sweats. *I'm still at a Guerlain Vetiver level, but hoping to make the jump to Habit Rouge one day. *Haven't seen or tried the Legere version. *Maybe it'll help make that jump!
    Spot on my son!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric

HA! nothing at all... I love Keeping Up Appearances. Its kind of a guilty pleasure. I even caught my dad watching it once and he seemed embarrassed- like it wasn't a real "man's show" like the cowboy and action movies he usually watches. So I bought him a Keeping Up Appearances boxed set for X-Mas! He loved it.

Back to Guerlain- WAS it Imperial that alot of you were buying at Marshalls recently? I think that was what it was called. And if so, how does it compare to the other Guerlains?

I really do give my praise to L'Instant pour homme. I have no longevity issues with it, and probably will not spring for an extreme version. I'll probably try it, but part of what I like about L'Instant is how it wears at the perfect volume. Its a warm citrus. I don't wear Orientals much these days, but L'Instant is still within my comfort level. What it may lack in novelty, it makes up for in solid wearability and quality.

Maybe it's just demographics. Once past your Forties you will all want NOT to smell like Guerlain's. And who could blame you? Not me...

Basenotes Institution

Bumping this old IndieGuy thread from '05...

I have also 'got' Guerlain recently. It started with oh...let me think...Heritage EdP I believe. Fascinating juice! Then it was Habit Rouge (vintage EdC), then Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours (the discontinued one), then Shalimar (new EdC), then Vetiver (vintage EdC), then Heritage (new EdT), then L'Heure Bleue (vintage EdC), then Mitsouko (vintage parfum), and then Chant d'Aromes (new EdT).

Next up...I'm definitely buying Shalimar Light, Vol de Nuit (so friggin hard to find for a good price...) and Jicky.

You could say, I'm on a roll. Just call me Mr. Guerlain II.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Damn, I swear it must be civet in Heritage,
    Wouldn't it be the lavender?

All my favourites are made by the house.
    I'm not one of those snobs who decries the ones made by anyone outside of the Guerlain family, though. In fact, I think that L'Instant is as good as Vetiver, and much better than Habit Rouge, which I hate. I like the sharpness of Imperial and Du Coq, but they're nothing to go too wild over.
    In fact, the only ones I really, really love are Mouchoir de Monsieur, Jicky, Shalimar, and Vetiver

Anyway, as far as the comment about 'old people,' I think we should simply consider that, like fashion, taste in fragrance also changes over time. Nowadays, men like fresh scents made with light herbs and citrus. A heavy wood/green scent will appear 'old' to a young man today, but it has more to do with an older aesthetic than an objective quality of the smell.

Guerlain has been around for about 150 years, hasn't it? Clearly, their range reflects those changing aesthetic tastes.
    Habit Rouge is 'old,' and Mouchoir de Monsieur is over 100. Compare the two, though, and you'll find that they're completely different; Habit Rouge is spice and powder. MdM is lightly floral and very, very subtle.
    Last edited by DadaSiegt; 18th October 2008 at 11:06 PM.

I've been holding back - until recently - on getting into Guerlain only because I knew that once I did, I wouldn't be able to stop. Among other things, I sincerely appreciate the thought with which they put into their fragrances and the extent to which the person wearing them is an integral part of the fragrance. It's almost the opposite of say, CdG, in which fragrances are concepts in and of themselves, independent from the person wearing them. Not that this is a bad thing. CdG has a lot of balls for putting out some the frags it does - it's just a polar opposite mindset.

I have my first dozen or so obscure Guerlain samples en route, and I can't wait.

And LOL at Jicky belonging in a museum. I think it's as wearable and contemporary as anything else today (and certainly a lot more interesting).

Post Re: Guerlain...OK, I finally GET it now!

Nice catch! You have just re-confirmed what I have alway's thought, there are no young, no old, there are just fragrances!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I must say that after having been completely repulsed by Guerlain initially, I've slowly warmed up to it first through the new Homme (un-loved on BN, sadly) and now L'Instant (hated it at first, but now I see it as an increadibly sophisticated and classy scent). Revisited Jicky, Heritage or Habit Rouge but I still don't get them. However, I grabbed a sample of Shalimar and looking forward to testing it. I now love the Guerlinade (I hope that's what it is, a similar complex accord I smell in many of their scents, even the ones I don't like). It's interesting how our perception can change, I now like the same combination of notes that used to turn me off as "stuffy, dated and owerpowering".

Incidently, what notes is Guerlinade made of? If it's not a closely guarded Guerlain secret, of course...

Great topic

Now I feel somewhat left out not having smelled any Guerlain yet, but that's set to change soon.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Mike, how nice of you to dig this old thread out from obscurity!

I'm sure I've had a Hyacinth Bucket (definitely pronounced "bouquet") - or even better, a Catherine Deneuve - inside me forever! At least I can say that I somehow think that I've been a Guerlain type of person even long before I sniffed my first Habit Rouge birthday present at age 21 when I lived in Paris. Or, AT LEAST I can say that it just said "click" when I sniffed it. I felt like saying something like "Oh THAT is what I've been looking for for so long". "The plush, spicy smell of boudoirs and the Indian kitchen", some say about this house - yup that's me! Add to that gilded bottles, ornamented flacons, exotic drawings and the whole shebang of Art Deco and Art Nouveau - and I'm sold. I think I was born at least thirty years too late - and maybe, just maybe, in the wrong body.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Mike, how nice of you to dig this old thread out from obscurity!

I'm sure I've had a Hyacinth Bucket (definitely pronounced "bouquet") - or even better, a Catherine Deneuve - inside me forever!
    You're welcome Ulrik.

LOL