Code of Conduct

Thread: Intro--newbie

Default Intro--newbie

I'm an older, married man and we have one grown son. I've been interested in great smelling colognes since I attended high school at Miami Senior High in Miami, Florida many years ago.

I just found this forum after doing a Google on "vetiver" that I saw in a novel(one of my passions along with Bass fishing and Cuban cigars) last week. From the search, I ordered my first niche cologne, Creed's OV and I've been using it for a few days now. After reading many of the posts here today, I just ordered another Creeds, their Tabarome Millisime for it's blend of Cuban tobacco and the recommendations that I read.

I have Boucheron(from another novel), Mariella Burani Colgen for Men, Bulgari Extreme, and some other non-niche colgnes too but I'm 'hooked' on these new-to-me Frags.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Default Re: Intro--newbie

As a newbie, you got yourself a pretty good start. Creed's Original Vetiver is the only vetiver scent that I like. I hate Guerlain's version. It's good you appreciate Millesime Tabarome because a lot of people favor the Vintage Tabarome over it. Eventually you'll want to explore scents from different categories (i.e. soapy, citrus, sweet) but I recommend you testing them first before buying them...or you'll end up like me: buying a bunch of scents based on reviews and not really liking a lot of them. Welcome to Basenotes!!!

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Hello Lightninrod... Welcome to BN.

Nice selection out the gate! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Welcome [smiley=smiley.gif]

MMM

Welcome to Basenotes, Lightninrod!

Please tell, which are the novels that mention vetiver and the other scents?
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Welcome to Basenotes, Lightninrod!

Please tell, which are the novels that mention vetiver and the other scents?
    --Chris

Thank's for the warm welcome.

DB, I'll try and remember them and get back to you. I read so many, they start to run togeather.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the MADNESS! I too am a bit older (just turned 50 this past July).
    I must agree that your choice of CREED TABAROME MILLESIME is a FANTASTIC choice! TABAROME just happens to be my ALL AROUND favorite Cologne period! Since you enjoy good Cigars (God...I haven't had a Cigar in years) I would be REMISS if I didn't STRONGLY recommend my GULITY PLEASURE FAVORITE fragrance....SANTA MARIA NOVELLA "ACQUA DI CUBA!" ACQUA DI CUBA is a accquired taste for most but...I am betting that you would like this SMN. May I also recommend a less expensive (but nevertheless) wonderful TOBACCO fragrance...DOLCE & GABANNA ph. I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Tom Patrick aka SixCats!

Welcome to BN!

Anyone who likes Cuban cigars and fragrance is a-okay in my book! Please do share those books you mentioned.

If you've not read it yet, you will probably want to check out Perfume: The Story of A Murderer, which is currently being made into a movie...hopefully it won't suck. The book was a good review, even for the non-fragranced obsessives of the world.

Oh bloody hell...damn double post...I swear I've not done this in ages. I can't delete it, but I can at least make it say something else to eliminate the echo.

Guys, I'm having a hard time recalling the specific novels I referred to but here is an author that mentioned Bulgari(I bought without smelling it and do not care for it.) in describing one of the main characters in one of her books. *They are very funny stories especially when the lead character's grandmother get's going.

This author's novels have the main character wearing Boucheron which I love and so do the ladys [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

I just can't remember the most recent book where I noticed the referral to the scent "vetiver". *It was only a passing comment in the novel and it continues to slip my mind.

Btw, anyone familiar with the now discontinued Cigar Afficianado cologne, soap, and deoderant? *What a wonderful fragrance. *I d/k who made it but it was marketed under the magazine of the same name. *If anyone know's where I could buy some, please let me know.

Also, I find it interesting that Creeds made a fragrance with Cuban tobacco because the CC smokers that I know all describe the aroma from a freshly opened box as a "barnyard smell" or even as the aroma of "chicken excrement". [smiley=shocked.gif] *That's right, that's how a cured and rolled CC smells and believe it or not but it's not a 'bad' thing but of course, the aroma from the smoke is very pleasing to the nose. *It is interesting too that the Cuban cigars are conterfieted everywhere and as here; know your source.

Also, Cuban cigrs are described with having some of the same scents as the frags we adore; cedar, chocolate, citrus, leather, etc.

TP: *I will surely check out the Aqua di Cuba. *Thank you for the info.

Dan

Daily Wardrobe

Welcome Lightninrod. Listen to SixCats. He talks sense.

Welcome to basenotes Lightninrod. Sounds like you have a gnice collection already. Looking forward to your post and reading about the new scents that you discover.
    Once again, welcome to basenotes.
    Gary

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!