Code of Conduct

Default Noobie needs help!

Hi guys, i just recently started to get interested into colognes and stuff like that. I need help in deciding what to get i was personally looking at VS Very Sexy 2, Visit and Chrome by azzaro. The only thing i didnt like about chrome was the fact it is so popular can anyone give me any alternatives to it? or maybe some suggestions for an around the work cologne,a good "evening cologne" and maybe just some all around tips and such thx guys.

Matt

Default Re: Noobie needs help!

Hi there and welcome

I'm quite new too and I the best suggestion I can come up with is to find a shop and go nuts with the testers. Spray it on your skin and have a sniff once in a while for the rest of the day. I've found out that a lot of people judge a fragrance just when the alcohol has evaporated but most fragrances change somewhat within an hour. I happen to walk by a shop every day and on my way home I used to test 4-6 fragrances. If you do that for a week or two you should have tried A LOT of different ones and most likely have some favorites. When you have a list of faverites you might want to bring a female to the shop and test the favorites so you don't pick one that women hate.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Hi guys, i just recently started to get interested into colognes and stuff like that. I need help in deciding what to get i was personally looking at VS Very Sexy 2, Visit and Chrome by azzaro. The only thing i didnt like about chrome was the fact it is so popular can anyone give me any alternatives to it? or maybe some suggestions for an around the work cologne,a good "evening cologne" and maybe just some all around tips and such thx guys.

Matt
    Welcome to Basenotes!!! Out of your list, I would recommend Azarro Visit as a good evening cologne. It's a good scent that turns heads. Since you don't like Chrome due to it's popularity, you may want to try some of the Dunhill fragrances. Many of them share the same characteristics as Chrome. My cologne of choice for work is Chanel Platinum Egoiste. It's a safe scent that many have complimented me on. But the important thing is to test them on your skin. Everybody has different body chemistry so even if one scent may smell good on me, it might smell bad on you. Hope this helps.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Just wanted to say welcome to BN, Thumper!

Welcome to BN.

Helpful hints...

~ Let your nose decide
    ~ Sample and test on your skin since scent strips won't give you an accurate impression
    ~ Read reviews...read threads...never let someone else's opinion be too big a factor...it's you who has to wear it...
    ~ If you can't sample something due to lack of local availability, look to buy decants from members who have solid trading reputations or order them online
    ~ Remember this is a hobby...it is about fun...and pleasure...never take it too seriously, it is only fragrance after all
    ~ Post your thoughts on things you try, this place is full of really helpful and friendly folks
    ~ Don't ask "what scent makes girls hot"...its old and trite and there is no answer to such a question
    ~ Hide your credit cards!