Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Bois Rouge

I am wearing this today and went searching for threads on it, but couldn't find anything really. There are 11 reviews though.

It strikes me as similar to Creeds' Bois du Portugal, albeit less sharp in the opening and with a touch of smokiness.

Any opinions on Bois Rouge?

Default Re: Tom Ford Bois Rouge

I gave a bottle to my father for Christmas but he didn't like it so I am now the proud owner. This one is a bit of a challenge for me. I love the spicy opening which doesn't last as long as i would like. As it dries down the spicy nature dies and my skin chemistry amps up the wood smoke. This is the challenging part as it is like putting my head in a bonfire and inhaling the smoke. A light application is certainly appropriate. The dry down is a delight. A raw leather appears as the bonfire is reduced to smoldering embers.
    Bois Rouge is a raw, gruff scent to my nose and has an intensity about it that I don't find in other of the Private Blends. At this point I really like it but don"t love it. It'll take a few more wearings to get my arms around this one. Enjoy it, I intend to.

It is note wise very similiar to Tom Ford's Oud Wood. The only difference is it lacks the oud, and vanilla that Oud Wood has. Bois Rouge instead has patchouli and moss. Unfortunently, Bois Rouge has been discontinued.

Basenotes Institution

It is one of the scents in the line that left the very least impression on me. I honestly can't even remember what it smelled like, which must mean that I didn't like it (or didn't find it sufficiently engaging to re-try).
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I never tried Bois du Portugal, but if they have something in similar, i`ll enjoy it. Bois Rouge is an easy leather fragrance on me. It keeps smooth but noticeable all the day. I love the suede touch that leather assumes here on me, giving space for a medicinal citrus at top, then a spiced heart to develop.
    It seems it was discontinued, so if you like, don`t take too long to buy yours...

I think this was the second Private Blend I tried. I owned it for a bit and then sold it off to fund new purchases when I stopped wearing it often. I still have some 4ml vials around here but I haven't worn it in forever. I definitely see a connection to Bois du Portugal only not as lush, maybe its the absence of lavander in BR. Its definitely a cold weather scent for me. I remember it being cloying in warm weather but it did really well in the cold. My favorite part was the smokey woody vanilla dry down.

Today I decided to wear Bois Rouge and Bois du Portugal simultaneously (one each wrist) so I could compare them and verify that my initial impressions were accurate and not a false impression. First, I would say that wood is the central theme in both scents and the wood notes smell very close. Yes, in Bois Rouge that wood is touched by smoke and in Bois du Portugal it isn't. The lavender in Bois du Portugal seems to be the other chief difference. Bois Rouge projects less (per comments from a co-worker friend, when I wore it exclusively yesterday). I would say the base is a bit more intense in Bois du Portugal.

At any rate, I like both and think that Bois Rouge probably deserved more notice than it has gotten.

When I started my hardcore fumehead trip, I was introduced via the Private Blends and bought 5 of them to start with. I liked Bois Rouge but didn't get it. After testing it, someone mentioned that I should try Bois Du Portugal. I tested the two wrist to wrist several times and ended up going with BdP for a few reasons which were mainly personal.

1. BdP PROJECTS! When I wear it in the club, people notice. I like that in a frag.
    2. BdP makes me feel a little more mature - its a masculine powerhouse thats kinda old school in feel. I think that was an important thing to have in my collection.
    3. At the time, I had 7 PBs in my collection (I now have 9), I thought it would be good to diversify and enter the world of Creed rather than getting another Tom Ford.

Both are strong frags, but I went with BdP. As for Bois Rouge deserving more notice, I agree with you... but when you release 10 frags at once - a few are bound to get lost in the shuffle. I find myself going back to Moss Breches lately with the cold weather which I didnt wear that often when I first purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Today I decided to wear Bois Rouge and Bois du Portugal simultaneously (one each wrist) so I could compare them and verify that my initial impressions were accurate and not a false impression. First, I would say that wood is the central theme in both scents and the wood notes smell very close. Yes, in Bois Rouge that wood is touched by smoke and in Bois du Portugal it isn't. The lavender in Bois du Portugal seems to be the other chief difference. Bois Rouge projects less (per comments from a co-worker friend, when I wore it exclusively yesterday). I would say the base is a bit more intense in Bois du Portugal.

At any rate, I like both and think that Bois Rouge probably deserved more notice than it has gotten.
    Thanks for the comparison scentsitivity. Bois Rouge is light on me, and if Bois du Portugal in similar in the structure, but with a better projection and more intense, i`ll like Bois du Portugal. It definitely entered now on my list of fragrances to try.

I can`t belive Tom Ford discontinued this. It`s sooo good, and deserves much more attention. I can see some similarities with BDP, but Bois Rouge is smoother and more refined. Great sillage and longevity on this classy fragrance! I`m lucky to own a bottle.

Why So Serious?

It really is great of a scent, i also find it similar to BDP, but i do smell leather or something suede like in BR, it's a great woody leathery smell. But it just does not project or last at all, a few sprays and poof it's gone in an hour or so, i can see why it's discontinued, very sad, if it lasts longer or nearly as good as Bdp i'd actually end up liking it better than Bdp.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I found this one to be repulsive, and smell very metallic and synthetic. Bois Marrocain (sp?) and another one as well which I forgot, that didn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I found this one to be repulsive, and smell very metallic and synthetic.
    Didn't care for it when I tried it either.