Code of Conduct

Default New: Unforgivable by Sean Combs

WWD.com

Diddy's Memorable Day
    By Julie Naughton

New York — Some things are just unforgivable, if you are the Bad Boy impresario formerly known as P. Diddy.

Sean Combs — who, for the record, now prefers to be called just Diddy — is rather passionate about that point. 'When you believe in yourself, it is unapologetic,' he said during an exclusive interview with WWD in his Midtown offices. 'It is explosive and seductive. Make it real and live your life out loud. To some, this is unforgivable. If so — I say be unforgivable.'

So strong is his belief in this philosophy that Combs has dubbed his debut men's fragrance with The Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. Unforgivable. "One of the main reasons I picked it is because I am unapologetic in who I am, what I represent. You can't forgive someone that's not apologizing for what they stand for, so it represents strength." Also, he added of the scent — which has been seen as a radical departure for Lauder — "it smells so good, it's unforgivable. "

And he hopes it will throw a bombshell into the staid men's fragrance category.

"I think it's similar to what I do in fashion — to get men to break out of their chains of being conservative," he said. "And not be afraid to be sexy and smell good. You can still be macho, still be a man and take care of yourself. Smell is something that people remember. You may forget the way a person looks, but their smell, even years later, will jog your memory.

"And when I make a fragrance," Combs said, "I make it to the point where you damn near want to taste the person."

Combs added that he created the fragrance hoping women would like it just as much. "About 75 or 80 percent of what I do every day has women in mind," he said. "This fragrance was made by a man who likes to smell good [to appeal to the] way that a man would want to smell for his woman."

And there's yet another reason: "Women get to have all the fun, dressing up and wearing diamonds." Of course, Combs has definitely left most people — of either gender — in the dust when it comes to carat count: Combs' accessories at the interview included a gold and diamond watch, large diamond stud earrings, a diamond cuff bracelet and a yellow and white diamond ring.

John Demsey, president of the Estée Lauder and MAC Cosmetics brands, has worked closely with Combs throughout Unforgivable's development process. Two forms of the fragrance will be produced, Demsey explained: a high-end eau de parfum that he calls "the couture version," and a "core scent" that will be more broadly distributed. Both were developed by Combs and Karyn Khoury, senior vice president of corporate fragrance worldwide for The Estée Lauder Cos. in cooperation with Givaudan. The manpower involved represents an unusual alignment for Lauder. A virtual unit was created within the company with most of the creative work done by the MAC Cosmetics creative team along with Khoury, and the distribution done by the Aramis and Designer Fragrances division, all under the auspices of Lauder's corporate resources.

Both fragrance formulas are built on the same basic notes and accords, although the high-end version is considerably more concentrated, said Demsey. Top notes are of Sicilian lemon, Italian bergamot, Moroccan tangerine, grapefruit, juniper and sparkling champagne accord; the heart is of Mediterranean air accord, Tuscan basil, Florentine iris, clary sage and lavender, and the drydown is of cashmere accord, cool sea moss, Australian sandalwood, amber and tonka bean.

"Unlike a lot of celebrities doing scents, Sean was a thousand percent involved," said Demsey, who calls Combs "the most product-savvy person I've ever met. He was totally consistent — he knows exactly what he wants and was dead-on consistent every step of the process."

Combs is a self-described toiletry aficionado. "I have everything from bath salts to milk baths to lotions that are scented to bath gels and all of that," he said. "Scent puts you in a certain mood, in a certain space. It can be soothing, it can remind you of a person, of a place. All of this attention to detail was built into this fragrance, and it's that attention to detail that I put into smell and also into fashion and into design."

Lauder plans a two-tiered strategy, which is also unusual, for the rollout of Unforgivable. A very limited-edition eau de parfum will retail for $300 for 2.5 oz., and will launch exclusively at Saks Fifth Avenue on Dec. 15. An eau de toilette and ancillary line, which will be sold in 1,500 to 1,800 department and specialty stores, will be on counter on Feb. 15. The core juice will retail for $55 for 2.5 oz. and $75 for 4.2 oz. And Combs won't stop with the scents, adding that a men's ancillary line is planned. "We're going to go all the way into the category," said Combs. "From bath to shower — every last thing."

And bling is not the thing when it comes to the brand's packaging. Indeed, it is elegantly understated. The couture version is of smoked gray glass in a clear acrylic holder, topped with a gunmetal sculptured cap and packaged in a black keepsake box. The core scent's bottle is smoked gray glass with rose-gold accents in a smoked gray acrylic holder. Both bottles were manufactured by Pochet and designed by Combs working with James Gager, senior vice president and creative director for MAC Cosmetics.

The packaging was inspired by Combs' favorite things, including Ferraris, yachts and planes, and his homes around the world. "It's architectural, a mix of classic and contemporary," he said. "I saw maybe 20 different bottles, and when I saw this one, I thought it was different and unique and something that I felt would be remembered."

The company's aim is to drive the fragrance to a top-five ranking. While neither Combs nor Demsey would comment on projected sales, industry sources estimated that Unforgivable would do $30 million to $35 million at retail in its first year on counter. Lauder is thought to be spending upward of $15 million on advertising and promotion for Unforgivable.

"I think this will energize the entire men's fragrance category, and women's fragrance, as well," said Demsey. "Sean is a lightening rod. And he's bringing the young generation into the stores — they haven't had a reason to go for a long, long time. He's their hero. This is a brand that's a reflection of an apparel brand, as well as a real-life man. This isn't just about a celebrity fragrance. Sean brings back glamour and sexiness to a business that hasn't had that in a long time."

While Combs believes that every man could benefit from a shot of sex appeal Diddy-style, he concedes that the scent's core consumer will be in the 18- to 35-year-old age range.

TV ads will break in February to coincide with the launch of the core fragrance in department and specialty stores. National print advertising will break in February and March men's and dual-interest magazines. As well, the brand will undertake an extensive sampling campaign designed to disseminate at least 40 million scented impressions. "The campaign is definitely going to push the envelope," he promised. "It'll get some tongues wagging, some cold showers will be necessary. It's going to be a great aphrodisiac. We're going to be edgy. We're going to be following in the footsteps of the edgy risk-takers that have come before us." The team has shot possible campaigns with several top photographers, Combs noted.

While he wouldn't discuss further details, citing the fact that neither the TV nor the print campaigns are finished, Combs promises one thing: They'll be sexy. A sultry mood video put together to show retailers — featuring a barely dressed Combs with a stunning female model — gives a good idea of what Combs and Demsey are aiming for with the TV campaign.

"The mood video — it's pretty hot," said Combs. "I had said that I wanted to go make love after seeing the video," he said with a laugh. But he's serious about the effect he hopes it will have on the industry. "I think that right there is an example of the revolutionary focus and attention and marketing that we are going to do with this brand. I think that the men's maintenance category is definitely one of the fastest-growing [beauty] categories, and I definitely am happy that Estée Lauder has seen the possibilities. Your body is your temple, and also your presentation."

Combs also is planning to make in-store appearances promoting the fragrance. "I have to support my brands — this is my job," he said. "I'm going to go and speak directly to men and go where they're at." And likely, not just in New York. "If there's somebody in Chicago or Detroit or Nebraska, I'm trying to give them the attention and the appreciation, too," said Combs. "I want to talk to people, to have them give me their point of view so that I can take that information and keep on getting better. So yes, there will be appearances. There are millions of men that are taking my lead, and I've got to make sure that they come into the promised land of sexy."

He also already has started working on a women's fragrance, a process that naturally evolved from the men's development, he said. "There were two that we thought were too soft for men — but will be number-one women's fragrances," he said. "The men's and the women's fragrances will have a synergy. They come from the same sensibility." The women's scent is tentatively slated for a fall 2006 launch. "It has a very clean and sensual smell — it's sweet, without being too tart," he said.

Default Re: New: Unforgivable by Sean Combs

This fragrance sounds like a whole load of bollocks!
    Let your nose be your pilot

GnuGnuAntiloop

Many thanks for the scoop Cedric! I have to agree with magnnum that this fragrance sounds like a whole load of empty words! Let's take a closer look at the notes:

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Both fragrance formulas are built on the same basic notes and accords, although the high-end version is considerably more concentrated, said Demsey. Top notes are of Sicilian lemon, Italian bergamot, Moroccan tangerine, grapefruit, juniper and sparkling champagne accord; the heart is of Mediterranean air accord, Tuscan basil, Florentine iris, clary sage and lavender, and the drydown is of cashmere accord, cool sea moss, Australian sandalwood, amber and tonka bean.
    Top notes are rather ordinary don't U think? The only thing that caught my attention is the sparkling champagne accord - is there already a scent that has such a note? Cannot remember... In the middle notes we can detect some Mediterranean air accord. BLAAH, me says! Some sort of an ozonic note again? Please!!! Finally in the basenotes is cool sea moss. What's that supposed to smell like? Marine? Oh no, not another marine scent again!!

The bottle looks awesome and you can hardly tell from the notes how the scent is actually going to smell, but I'm VERY suspicious it's gonna be anything ground breaking...

-T-

Sean brings back glamour and sexiness to a business that hasn't had that in a long time.
    What? WHAT? Isn't perfumery glamourous and sexy?

I too am skeptical about how this scent will smell, but I think that the idea is great and I look forward to it for two reasons.

Firstly, a male celebrity releasing a scent? Wow. Now that doesn't happen very often. In fact, when's the last time it happened at all? The only one I can think of is Cumming...and...well...um yeah, I think this one may have a slightly different effect. I think it will tell the younger generation of men that it's OK, in fact good, to be interested in scent. If a badass rapper can be so into scent that he owns a wide array of scented bath salts and is very involved with the creation of a scent, then maybe basenoters will find their sexualities questioned less often for their fragrant obsessions. So even if Unforgivable sucks, this is a good thing, no?

I also am impressed that Sean Combs is so involved in the process, and so into scent in general. I feel that most celebrities releasing scents nowadays are simply thinking "I should do a scent" and then drop a couple of details about the bottle design, maybe. I respect his take on the whole thing. I know that when I become a celebrity (yeah yeah, you all just wait), I'm going to release a scent line that will be more than just "so-and-so's scent", but rather a real quality scent that represents the ultimate culmination of my love for fragrance.

So, I'm going to give Unforgivable a try when it comes out. It probably won't be anything special, but deserves that much.

~Silk

Don't know; I'll give it a shot. I have a kick-ass Sean John tie, utterly conservative, so who knows.

What's a cashmere accord?
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Don't forget guys, this is the guy who allegedly invented "the remix" a little bit over a couple of years ago, so probably next thing he will invent will be a glamorous and sexy perfume, because (god knows) we have no idea what that could be. He should invent the wheel next. Too bad the internet was already claimed by Al Gore...

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Don't know; I'll give it a shot. I have a kick-ass Sean John tie, utterly conservative, so who knows.

What's a cashmere accord?
    Probably something with a lot of the synthetic cashmeran. It's sort of a musk.

This might be the scent that wakes up the whole industry........Well......maybe.
    Gary

Will this be considered niche? [smiley=laugh.gif]

I dunno, this guy always me me wanna laugh!. He's trying soo hard to give himself that "bad boy"image ,but he just looks *funny to me. And those names, pee Diddy, poo daddy, duddy whatever... And now he's got a perfume called "Unforgivable", lol. *I was surprised to see how popular he was (is ) in the States, with his stores and all. * Maybe the kids will buy this.

I refuse to give a dime to that arrogant pig. Even if it smells great,(imagine that!)i would NEVER buy it.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

'When you believe in yourself, it is unapologetic,' he said during an exclusive interview with WWD in his Midtown offices. 'It is explosive and seductive. Make it real and live your life out loud. To some, this is unforgivable. If so — I say be unforgivable.'

So strong is his belief in this philosophy that Combs has dubbed his debut men's fragrance with The Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. Unforgivable. "One of the main reasons I picked it is because I am unapologetic in who I am, what I represent. You can't forgive someone that's not apologizing for what they stand for, so it represents strength." Also, he added of the scent — which has been seen as a radical departure for Lauder — "it smells so good, it's unforgivable. "
    What the f*%k?! *That has to be the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever read!

The only thing "unforgivable" is that Sean "Puff-Daddy-Puffy-P. Diddy-Diddy-Diddly-Widdly" Combs has managed to maintain his joke of a career. *For the life of me, I cannot understand why people pay attention to this rip-off artist.

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Lot's of blah, blah, blah...
    Like his clothes: very refined for the catwalk and press. But what you get in stores is just basic sports wear made in China. Same will go for the fragrance.

Who cares about the man, does it SMELL good? That, we have no way of determining. I look forward to trying this because like him or not, he knows his stuff in fashion and who knows? It might be great. Or really bad, but that's another point.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Blog Entries

I'm w/ Silk...if he's a scent junkie & played a major role in creating the scent, it should be worth a sniff @ least.

I still wish he would've called it Eau de Diddy (try saying that aloud, lol)
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I'll be picking this up when I finally get some of that Hilton Hummer.

Unforgivable, huh? Sounds like something my ex-wife might want to spray on me. [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

As any flight attendant who has had the misfortune of working on the same flight as one with Mr. Combs can tell you, he is a PIG. Lets just say that I have had enough of Mr. Combs' "scent"...if you catch my drift. (And I hope never to catch his again.)

I find his regular bludgeoning of the English language unforgivable. Seriously...as a woman I just can't get interested in anything he is doing fashion wise or musically because I just can't get sparked by a man that sounds so stupid when he speaks. Come to think of it, his dancing is pretty unforgivable too. I guess the name is pretty fitting...haha

Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    I'll be picking this up when I finally get some of that Hilton Hummer.
    LOL [smiley=grin.gif]

I wouldn't mind getting a "Hilton Hummer"..... [smiley=wink.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Prediction: This fragrance will break every possible record worldwide. It will add an entirely new dimension into the scope of scent and its potential. One day my great grand-children will reminsce upon the launching of this groundbreaking cologne and say to themselves, "It's amazing how this scent has remained unchanged through an entire century and is still as popular and notorious as in the times of our great grandpa."

Quote Originally Posted by diddy49
    Prediction: This fragrance will break every possible record worldwide. *It will add an entirely new dimension into the scope of scent and its potential. *One day my great grand-children will reminsce upon the launching of this groundbreaking cologne and say to themselves, "It's amazing how this scent has remained unchanged through an entire century and is still as popular and notorious as in the times of our great grandpa."
    Yeah,and the Earth is square too.

Quote Originally Posted by diddy49
    Prediction: This fragrance will break every possible record worldwide. *It will add an entirely new dimension into the scope of scent and its potential. *One day my great grand-children will reminsce upon the launching of this groundbreaking cologne and say to themselves, "It's amazing how this scent has remained unchanged through an entire century and is still as popular and notorious as in the times of our great grandpa."
    What did I tell ya? sooooo funny!!

die yuppie scum.

sean combs is the leader of unorginality. dig his use of all old school beats/music and his placement of stupid lyrics over the top of them... great job.

yes, i am a hater. i am unforgiveable.

oh my gosh I let out a big yawn after I read those fragrance notes.

i can even tell now what it is going to smell like...boring.

$300.00 for crapy Lauder version of men's EDP? they must be smoking crack!

Boucheron is much higher quality and thats only $120.00 Jaipur come with a REAL metal case too!

The only thing "unforgivable" is ripping off Millesime Imperial and trying to pass yourself off as original...

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    I find his regular bludgeoning of the English language unforgivable. Seriously...as a woman I just can't get interested in anything he is doing fashion wise or musically because I just can't get sparked by a man that sounds so stupid when he speaks. Come to think of it, his dancing is pretty unforgivable too. I guess the name is pretty fitting...haha
    Yeah, he's a complete tosser...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Yeah, he's a complete tosser...
    Amen to that.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.