Code of Conduct

Thread: Grey Flannel

Default Grey Flannel

I am thinking of buying this because of the notes sounds like my kind of smell, what are peoples experiences with it? Some say its kind of like Fahrenheit?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120728.html

Thanks
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grey Flannel

I have a 25-year old friend who LOVES it...because it reminds him of his dad who passed a few years ago. Don't know how much help that is, but it's the only thing I've heard about it.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I have owned both Grey Flannel and Fahrenheit and do not think they smell similar at all. They both are pretty long lasting, though. If I had to distill each frag down to one word, it would be "violet" for Grey Flannel and "warm woody" (OK, that's two words) for Fahrenheit. Also, I suggest that when you try Grey Flannel, give it at least a half day in which to evolve before deciding.

As I mentioned in your other post it does not *smell* like fahrenheit,
    but is similar in structure/style/architecture/constrcution.
    It Has Very fresh soapy topnotes, in fact if you sniff it from the bittle you will smell a bar of
    fresh deodorant soap. But there is also a bitter note in it which used to put me off and make me very sad for some reason ! So I had to trade it away. It is very green and the best part of it is the sudden blooming into
    something totally differet from what is started out as... and THAT'S where the Fahrenheit
    comparison comes in. The floral softer drydown is very prominent and surprising but might vary from skin to skin. My suggestion would be go to a TjMaxx/Marshalls if you are in the US, theye sell it there for
    VERY cheap, try it on your skin and see if you like.

Gotham

Both Grey Flannel and Fahrenheit are both woody mossy florals. Fahrenheit if very offset by leather. Were has said here Flannel is so much softer and richer in the mossy soapy notes. Grey Flannel reminds me very much of Chanel's Cristalle.

I wouldn't wear Grey Flannel if it was the LAST fragrance available on Earth.
    I have the same feeling about GF as some people here have about Kouros....i HATE it!!!! [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Explorator Dumpsterorum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    I wouldn't wear Grey Flannel if it was the LAST fragrance available on Earth.
    I have the same feeling about GF as some people here have about Kouros....i HATE it!!!! [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

Jeff
    Sorry to say that GF is the one single fragrance I have a total aversion to! I can find at least something enjoyable or good to say about every fragrance -- except this one... [smiley=evil.gif]

...But it's been spoiled for me by a co-worker who morbidly overdoses in GF and so I endure it three hours every day -- five days a week! Trust me -- this scent when grossly overapplied will linger ad infinitum!!! I literally can smell this guy's arrival at the parking lot from 150 yards away!!!

The GF pyramid looks fantastic, and I'm sure I would like it if not for this negative over-exposure each and every day year in and year out!!! Sadly IMO it has come to deserve a new scent classification of its own: "Sour Floral."

Hope your experience is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled GF several times and really tried to like it as its ingredients sound promising and I have a soft spot for all-time classics. But GF and I do not match in any way. On my skin it develops from a lemony-earthy scent to a rather cloying damp, fleshy, mossy fragrance which resembles of rotten plants or even worse.
    I assume this fragrance develops very individually from skin to skin. So you should absolutely sample it befor you purchase.

It's strange but I also put Fahrenheit anf Grey Flannel in the same category, even though they smell nothing alike. I love the violet note on GF mixed with the green, mossy stuff. I'm usually into heavier frags but I think this is very wearable.

Post Thanks / Like

GF - I like it because of the violet top note which is less sweet than usual. And true: it does not lift my spirits. Violets just do this to me. Definitely missing sunshine- you walk along the main alley of a graveyard in November.....
    The bottles' design sends a perfect signal of the mood the cologne breathes - dark and elegant in a colder way. I cannot help but seeing a plain dark blue tie, flashy though, with a grey flannel suit. Not a very original characterization, but that's exactly how I feel about it. THere will be season for it soon. Hardly an incentive for someone who feels insecure about it, I know. A great scent still, and I myself do not want to be without it.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems this is a love-it-or-hate-it scent. I'm in the love it camp.

It is cold, sad, wary, and resilient. Not goth in the contemporary sense, but gothic in the sense of gothic novels (no, not gothic graphic novels either). A cold wind blowing at twilight as the last dead leaves fall from the tree and the tree's branches start to jerk and whip like fingers of death in the wind. The violet in Grey Flannel is like a cold steel letter opener that you stick up your nose hard.

Somehow this one really really works. It always has something enticing that makes me want to sniff it further and wish I could figure it all out. Art. A masterpiece.

Buy at least two bottles.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

IT doesn't lastttttttttttttttttttttttt

BUT try Seigneur by Galimard you will have the violett ressemblance but more power lasting

good luck

laurent
    Invisible Power

Post Thanks / Like

Laurent, Is it easy to find Galimard in France - I mean in a medium size town like Strassbourg or Mulhouse?

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I dearly love this one as well, but it can be a tough one to wear. It lasts and lasts, so be careful not to overapply. Also, in warmer weather, it can take quite a bit of time to settle down, and the mossiness can be overwhelming until it does. But when it hits the drydown, it's heavenly.

I bought this one in 1986. It smelled outrageous and not masculine at all. The violet here is quite prominent yet different from Violetta di Parma or your token artificial violet flavor. I call it green violet - it's artificial with a difference, probably because of the way it bonds with the musky base. Too bad it's changed. I think this was one of the best fragrances of the past 30 years.

I enjoy GF because it's the only masculine fragrance I've experienced with a narcissus/paperwhites note. There is a Diptyque fragrance with a heavy narcissus smell but I found it too feminine overall. I can't remember the name but it starts with an "O" I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Grey Flannel is pretty harsh and bad for the first half hour, then changes to something I don't mind.

Eau de Grey Flannel is not as harsh, and is the one that to me has an obvious similarity to Fahrenheit.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confuse the issue, if you are thinking along the lines Grey Flannel/Fahrenheit there is a third option:

JOLIE MADAME. Please do not be put off by the name and the fact it is supposed to be a womans fragrance.
    I find it very masculine.

I like Grey Flannel, but I find it somehow monotone. However, more subtle than Fahrenheit.

Jolie Madame has a drier, even more bitter note to it, but an incredible, sensuous, leather/violet warmth that evens it out. I love violet and leather, and the combination in this perfume is mindblowing !!
    The drydown takes ages, but the post drydown effect is exquisite.

Jolie Madame is from Balmain and may have been recently discontinued ??? It will be hard to find, but worth it.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by david
    Just to confuse the issue, if you are thinking along the lines Grey Flannel/Fahrenheit there is a third option:

JOLIE MADAME. Please do not be put off by the name and the fact it is supposed to be a womans fragrance.
    I find it very masculine.

I like Grey Flannel, but I find it somehow monotone. However, more subtle than Fahrenheit.

Jolie Madame has a drier, even more bitter note to it, but an incredible, sensuous, leather/violet warmth that evens it out. I love violet and leather, and the combination in this perfume is mindblowing !!
    The drydown takes ages, but the post drydown effect is exquisite.

Jolie Madame is from Balmain and may have been recently discontinued ??? *It will be hard to find, but worth it.
    The Balmain website lists it as current.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipriano
    I enjoy GF because it's the only masculine fragrance I've experienced with a narcissus/paperwhites note. There is a Diptyque fragrance with a heavy narcissus smell but I found it too feminine overall. I can't remember the name but it starts with an "O" I believe.
    I think it's Olene. Heady stuff.

Ladylonestar

Another men's chypre that I'm wild about -- if not overapplied. Sprayed on the chest, under shirt or sweater, and lightly at each wrist, it's breathtaking, I think -- a very inviting, snuggly, scent. Here are some comments gleaned from prior threads:

Like an old friend back in the fold. -- Yvan, 1/21/2005

Going down the street in a leather jacket, kicking fallen leaves in autumn chill, right, that's Grey Flannel to me. -- Russlan, 7/23/2004

I don't think I would wear it unless I was going out on a date with an ugly girl who I never wanted to see again. -- Cookesoul, 1/12/2005

I find it rather unique and consider it best suited for rainy days. -- Narcus, 6/29/2005

That scent is almost unique!!! -- Moonfish, 8/5/2005

This baby is a winner. -- DustB, 8/22/2005

And then there's The Odor's comprehensive review of it:

Now the Tribute.
    17.03.04 (Wednesday)
    SOTD: Grey Flannel, Geoffrey Beene, 1976 (it is the same year FiFi Award winner).

"Gender marketed" of the fragrance: male

THE ITEM INFO
    Concentration: Eau de Toilette
    Form/package: 120ml (4.0 fl.oz.) retail bottle, spray.
    Where purchased: retail, small local fragrance shop in Moscow, Russia.
    Price paid: $17.3

THE SMELL
    The scent starts out with transparent, fresh, cold and sharp citrus-flowery-green accord. The cold green is provided by galbanum, I think. Citrus notes are very lively and sparkling but they move a bit "backwards" after a 5-10 minutes after the application.

Heart note brings out a variety of restrained flowery notes with some tart undertone. I'm not that erudite about flowers but these also have the green quality, and I can feel a clean watery violet note in there, along with bitter undertone of mimosa. The heart note accord is more warm and welcoming than the top one. Has some "metallic" undertone to it.

The base note is even warm and reveals green mossy and warm woody undertones. Some light sweetness appears no earlier that almost on the fadeout.

The whole scent character is kinda "floral chypre" (not sure if there is such a category). It is something behind floral woody scents, like, say, Fahrenheit, and regular chypres (that seem sharp-citrus at first and then soften to mossy, woody and sweet tones).

As for "linearity", I can say that the scent has a perfect green floral "line" that goes its way from icy cold to warm-hearted and understanding. I mean the scent does change while you're wearing it, but that change is around some steady "core".

THE FEEL
    My overall feel of the scent is very formal and restrained, kinda out-of-body, always keeping some distance. Has some etiquette to it. It seems like it is freezing the wearer at first but then softens and warms up gradually. Though, on some shiny warm day of spring it could be nice and cozy scent. Diplomatic to the last stitch of the suit and a shoe-shine.

THE SIMILARITY
    I don't know for sure but top accord of the scent reminds me of Eau de Campagne Sisley and somewhat of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte. No other similarities come to mind. Can't say it by myself, but I also heard that it's somewhat similar to Chanel Cristalle.

THE IMAGE
    It is like a time-compressed seasons change. At first, you were walking in the winter forest on a frosty day towards its border. In half an hour, when you stopped on the border, the whole snow have Ęmelted away, trees have started to bud and birds have been singing around there. Later, when you went to the field, the sun have been shining brightly onto the field covered with spring flowers, and a warm comfortable and pleasant scent was rising from the heated ground. The embodiment of grey and green.

THE USE
    Personal experience with the scent: worn about 15ml (0.5 fl.oz.)
    Average duration: 10-12 hrs

The scent fits good the colder season and some days of spring and fall. Would be excessively sharp for higher temps of summertime.

I prefer to wear this to the office, it's a winner of my can't-go-wrong scents, really. Sometimes it feels good to me with a casual wear, there's some romantic about it too (much deeper inside).

I'd advise to apply it gently 'cause greater amounts can cause one a headache hands down.
    I had headaches of it constantly for the first 10 wears (even out of 1-2 spritzes). Then I put it aside for some time, and after a two or three months I sampled it again and started to like it a lot. Now I wear 4 spritzes that usually are applied directly on skin.

THE MULTIGENDER CAPABILITY
    I think it's quite wearable for women 'cause mainly the scent is composed of floral notes. Heard some women wear it successfully and with great pleasure. I'd love to smell Grey Flannel on a woman.

THE VERDICT
    In spite of its "core" it is quite a complex scent. Now came the Spring and I hope Grey Flannel would show some new undertones to me. I love it so much!

I think it's a gentleman's must-have. It's a Bvlgari PH's grandfather, much more knowledgeable and wise, very hale and hearty, still can pick up a girl.

Pros: one of the best men's florals; you can't go wrong with that (if applied moderately).
    Cons: quite sharp and strong at first; needs some "getting-used-to" period.

THE PACKAGE
    The remarkable one! It is one of the most elegant packages I ever seen with fragrances - simple dark green bottle with a black cap and a label in some old style. It is packed in a dark grey bag of soft flannel with a nice lace.

------ made with Comprehensive Fragrance Review Pattern ------------

Regards, Odor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    .... Here are some comments gleaned from prior threads:...
    .....Regards, Odor. [/i]
    From a sea of beauties - how did you manage to bring these back to the surface, LLS? Thank You!
    TheOdor's contribution takes the crown, what a review - almost better than the cologne!
    And amazing how almost everybody mentions that cold part in GF, how a simple smell can set the temperature 'felt' in ones mind!
    Is anybody here familiar with the songs 'The death and the maiden'? & 'The death of a boy' by F. Schubert? He comes not to threaten but to embrace and comfort them. I now believe, he brings some violets with him.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    From a sea of beauties - how did you manage to bring these back to the surface, LLS?
    Abracadabra and a wave of my magic wand (while wearing my Lancome Magie Noire, of course)! *[smiley=wink.gif] * Now, since you might not have the same powers that I have, Narcus, you could use the Basenotes super-duper search function! *I just typed in "Grey Flannel", selected "Male Fragrance discussion", and "within the last year". *Voila!

And amazing how almost everybody mentions that cold part in GF, how a simple smell can set the temperature 'felt' in ones mind!
    Yes. *I even mentioned it in my own comments in an earlier thread. It has a cold feel to it initially, yet the soft, somewhat powdery drydown evokes images for me of a soft, warm flannel shirt.
    Is anybody here familiar with the songs 'The death and the maiden'? & 'The death of a boy' by F. Schubert? He comes not to threaten but to embrace and comfort them. I now believe, he brings some violets with him. *
    That's beautiful, Narcus. *I believe I may have a Schubert CD... I'll look into this.