Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water

Sunday afternoon, I had the opportunity to finally sample ONE spray of Green Irish Tweed on my arm. The salesperson jokingly told me it would cost me $5 for the one sample spray and for a moment, I believed him (he said the full bottle was $160, the most expensive scent he had!!). Well, I tried it and liked it immediately!

Thing is, after about an hour, I smelled my arm and thought, "This smells exactly like Cool Water!" (which I've owned and loved, but am currently out of and have been for over a year). While I'm sure they don't smell EXACTLY the same (or do they?), I didn't have any Cool Water to spray on my other arm at the time, so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison. But (to my nose anyway) I thought GIT smelled EXTREMELY similar.

So my question is this: Would it be worth the extra cost (BTW, I have seen GIT selling for much, much less than $160 on eBay!) to own "the original" (GIT)? How much difference (in scent, quality, or longevity) is there between GIT and CW? Would I notice any difference between the 2 in a side-by-side comparison? Like I said, I thought GIT smelled exactly like Cool Water AT THE TIME, but without having any CW with me on Sunday, I couldn't be 100% sure.

If there's anyone who has tried/owned both of these, I'd appreciate any and all comments/advice.

That GIT bottle would SUUUUURE look nice in my wardrobe, though...!! [smiley=grin.gif]
    David and Becca forever!!

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water

Trust your nose.

In my mind, there's no comparison. GIT is more complex and far superior.

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

The new version of Greenbriar by Caswell Massey is a nice aquatic scent that is very reminiscent or Cool Water

but with more green notes. May be worth checking out. I enjoy it in the summer months. I have not tried GIT yet.

Believe me GiT is way better, Cool water gives me a headache and is way spiceyer than GiT, only the first 10 mins smell like Cool water but after that nothing like cool water.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

To my nose they are only superficailly similar, especially at dry down.

As brad says, GIT is more complex and superior.

Where Cool Water ends, GIT keeps going deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    In my mind, there's no comparison. *GIT is more complex and far superior.
    That's what I would imagine, being that GIT is the "original classic".

Thanks for the info and suggestions, guys! Anyone else wanna chime in on this?

Dave...make sure you don't pay $160 for that GIT. You can get it from fragrancenet.com or theperfumespot.com or others for more like $60.

Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    Dave...make sure you don't pay $160 for that GIT. You can get it from fragrancenet.com or theperfumespot.com or others for more like $60.
    Absolutely!!

Dave,

I'm wearing GIT today(decant sample) and love it, it did strike me as smelling just like cool water of which I had years ago but still have a miniature bottle of, so I tried both - one spritz on each arm and I've gotta say that it's pretty hard to tell the difference, at least initially to my nose anyway. Having said that I'm going to treat myself in the next month and buy a bottle of GIT - it just makes me feel better when I'm wearing a $160 fragrance over a $40 one, or am I just being a snob? [smiley=laugh.gif]

Get the GIT! (could become a slogan)

-Mike

GIT smells nothing like cool water. Git IS FAR SUPERIOR and there is no comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    In my mind, there's no comparison. *GIT is more complex and far superior.

- Brad
    100% true, there is no comparison whatsoever!

If you need a fragrance to compare cool H20 with, try Floris special 127 (I know it is one from the Floris range, can someone put me straight if I've got it mixed up?)

Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Mike68

it just makes me feel better when I'm wearing a $160 fragrance over a $40 one, or am I just being a snob? [smiley=laugh.gif]

-Mike
    snob [smiley=cool.gif]

I read places that GiT smells like Curve, so does Curve smell like Cool Water?
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5

GIT for sure. I believe they smell close for about an hour and then C W gets left in the dust.
    Gary

In my opinion, the similarity is temporary and superficial, as I believe you would see if you wore GIT for an extended period of time. The development of the Creed is quite different from the Davidoff. To me, even the topnotes are noticeably different....

GIT and Cool Water to me are somewhat similar but GIT has a much better development of course. But to be COMPLETELY honest, my friends who are not into fragrances cannot tell the difference between the two. Even when I let them smell each one side by side they think that they are smelling the exact same thing. You have to keep in mind that when you become a cologne fanatic, your sense of smell becomes trained and you are able to analyze each individual note. We can distinguish citrus top notes and woody bottom notes. An average person on the other hand can only describe a scent as being "good" or "not good". I've finished my bottle of GIT and I enjoyed every drop of it, but I'm not going to replace it due to the fact that 1.) it is expensive and 2.) everybody thought I was wearing Cool Water. Owning a Creed scent is somewhat of an experience though because you get an idea of what a good quality fragrance should be like. The only downside is that when you get used to high quality cologne, you become really picky and realize that the scents you used to like before don't seem as good anymore.

Could someone please tell me, does Curve smell like Cool water? what is it simalir to? This becuase i have just orderd Curve from Ebay USA and i am in england so it will take a week for me to find out my self.

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    Could someone please tell me, does Curve smell like Cool water? what is it simalir to? This becuase i have just orderd Curve from Ebay USA and i am in england so it will take a week for me to find out my self.
    I really don't get the Curve - Cool Water - GIT thing at all! GIT + CW god yes, almost identical, but I favour GIT, just has something about it.

Curve is mush dryer and more, powedery I suppose and NOTHING WHATSOEVER like the other two AT ALL! Well, IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    [quote author=CreedFan link=1124208500/0#2 date=1124209839]In my mind, there's no comparison. GIT is more complex and far superior.

- Brad

If you need a fragrance to compare cool H20 with, try Floris special 127 (I know it is one from the Floris range, can someone put me straight if I've got it mixed up?)

[/quote]

It's Floris JF that you are thinking of. Quite similar Cool Water but better quality with more depth. GIT has that Creed accord that can be found no where else. I can also see the superficial similarity to Cool Water but it is brief and only close to the top of the fragrances. Just as Original Vetiver has a similarity to Mugler's Cologner for a short while but it runs away and hides very soon. Thankfully, GIT does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel
    [quote author=magnnum link=1124208500/0#11 date=1124218064][quote author=CreedFan link=1124208500/0#2 date=1124209839]In my mind, there's no comparison. *GIT is more complex and far superior.

- Brad

[/quote]

* *It's Floris JF that you are thinking of. *Quite similar Cool Water but better quality with more depth. * GIT has that Creed accord that can be found no where else. *I can also see the superficial similarity to Cool Water but it is brief and only close to the top of the fragrances. *Just as Original Vetiver has a similarity to Mugler's Cologner for a short while but it runs away and hides very soon. *Thankfully, GIT does the same.[/quote]

Yes indeed, it is JF! Thanks!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    The only downside is that when you get used to high quality cologne, you become really picky and realize that the scents you used to like before don't seem as good anymore.
    WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Blog Entries

I too think that GIT & Cool Water smell similar. I DON'T get the Curve = GIT comparison either. After hearing that GIT smells like Curve I got a sample vial of GIT & was pretty disappointed. I'm not much of a Cool Water fan, after all.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by scenthound

Am I the only one that thinks that taking advantage of free samples and then buying from a cheaper place is a bit off? If a place is willing to let you sample things (which costs them money BTW) that are very expensive, it would seem to me that it is worth supporting them. I understand wanting a better price, but I couldn't live with myself for getting the advantages of a full service shop and not paying for it. If you want discount, perhaps you should try to get some samples from that internet company or just buy blind.

Isaac

""Needless Markups" (not my creation...but very funny all the same)...aka....Nieman Makus, in Chicago, atleast the one on Michigan Avenue...has the entire Creed line...including Cuir de Russie and Angelique Ensence open for testing.

You should try it if you get a chance.

Blog Entries

Hall's in Kansas City, MO also has all the Creed line & they have testers out. They don't do decants, though . But they let me spray all I want to on their test cards. They also have all of the Bond No. 9 line & they let me do the same w/ that as well.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

The scents of GIT and CW are very similar, but I have no difficulty in telling that the formar has more natural ingredients and the latter is a synthetic approximation.

For what it's worth here's my opinion. I think that GIT is the 'emperor's new clothes' of the scent world, and I mean no disrespect to my fellow basenoters but the differences in dry down between CW and GIT are miniscule and over emphasized.
    To clarify, yes CW ripped off GIT. Yes there are differences and I can easily detect them upon drydown. How can I say that without contradicting my first statement? I liken the differences to two top of the line BMWs, of the same make and model. But one is painted green and one is painted red. Clearly there is a detectable difference but the overall PERFORMANCE is the same.

Thats what GIT and CW are to me. Sure you can detect the differences, but to me they aren't worth the difference in cost. I'd rather buy something that has no comparison.

Also, the average person will think that you are wearing Cool Water. Take that as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    Clearly there is a detectable difference but the overall PERFORMANCE is the same.
    Are you sure? [smiley=undecided.gif]

Sure you can detect the differences, but to me they aren't worth the difference in cost. I'd rather buy something that has no comparison. Also, the average person will think that you are wearing Cool Water. Take that as you will.
    Hmmm...that's an interesting take on all this. *Anybody else agree with the above statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    [quote author=madgradrx link=1124208500/15#27 date=1124291309]Clearly there is a detectable difference but the overall PERFORMANCE is the same.
    Are you sure? [smiley=undecided.gif][/quote]

Perhaps I went too far on that one.

The CW is a base line BMW model. The GIT is fine tuned, can go 20MPH faster, and handles curves 20% better. It also costs almost double.

To me CW=Aqua Velva,
    so if CW=GIT, then
    GIT=Aqua Velva !!!!!!!!!!

I have to sample this bad baby (GIT) now at any cost.. not really true ..$1.99 at PerfumeBay
    (the sample vial)

Gotham

For what it's worth here's my opinion. I think that GIT is the 'emperor's new clothes' of the scent world, and I mean no disrespect to my fellow basenoters but the differences in dry down between CW and GIT are miniscule and over emphasized.
    To clarify, yes CW ripped off GIT. Yes there are differences and I can easily detect them upon drydown. How can I say that without contradicting my first statement? I liken the differences to two top of the line BMWs, of the same make and model. But one is painted green and one is painted red. Clearly there is a detectable difference but the overall PERFORMANCE is the same.

Thats what GIT and CW are to me. Sure you can detect the differences, but to me they aren't worth the difference in cost. I'd rather buy something that has no comparison.

Also, the average person will think that you are wearing Cool Water. Take that as you will.
    It may be important to note that women's sense of smell is an order of magnitude better than men's. So what you perceive as a very small difference, to women is probably more major.

I've had several women in my life compare CW to GIT and none of them has ever said they smelled the same, and after drydown, they laugh at the comparison.

There is a similar analogy in high-end audio. A $10,000 amp does not sound twice as good as a $5,000 amp. In fact usually the difference is subtle. It's up to the user to decide whether those differences are worth it. But in no way does it make the $10,000 amp "the emporer's new clothes" or overrated.

Cool Water is spicey, GiT is not, not in my opinion

Top 5

These folks say GIT is a unisex fragrance! *HUH??!! *[smiley=huh.gif]

http://www.unlimitedperfumes.com/pro...roducts_id/753

My 2 cents: If you want something better than Cool Water and less expensive than GIT, buy a bottle of Floris JF.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

The CW is a base line BMW model. The GIT is fine tuned, can go 20MPH faster, and handles curves 20% better. It also costs almost double.
    Hmmm...nice analogy!

I personally think GIT isn't expensive enough, but there you go.

GIT. It's my SOTD, and it just rocks. My favorite, hands down.

Hey fellas, I saw a "Just for you" knock off of Cool Water at Walmarts for $5/bottle. I guess this means Cool Water wears the NAKED emperor crown.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I say Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, Aspen for Men, Greenbriar Caswell Massey need to be all put into a bonfire along with their recipes and be burned for eternity till they are completely obliterated from the face of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    I say Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water, Aspen for Men, Greenbriar *Caswell Massey need to be all put into a bonfire along with their recipes and be burned for eternity till they are completely obliterated from the face of the earth. *
    I respectfully disagree. [smiley=smiley.gif]

I am wearing GiT today and i just love the notes that pop out after about 20 mins, i just keep on sniffin, its the part that smells nothing like CW, does anyone know of any other scent that smells like that part?

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    The only downside is that when you get used to high quality cologne, you become really picky and realize that the scents you used to like before don't seem as good anymore.
    Ain't it the truth...ain't it the truth...!! *[smiley=embarassed.gif]

I *was at the mall and tried a CW again, i say it smells nothing like GiT, i mean out of 1-10 i say 2 is the closest to GiT. *CW smells like
    Indian restuarants, and people who will not wear GiT because it smells like CW need to get their noses tested.

Top 5

NEITHER !!! They both smell like toilet cleaners.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Another vote for neither. I hate Cool Water and tried and tried to like GIT ... but it never happened.

A big "yuck" to both

Green Irish Tweed is more refined, long lasting compared to a lot of Creed scents, but Cool Water lasts longer and a tad fresher. GIT smells less mass produced, CW smells more synthetic to me.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

cw = yuck
    git = double yuck

Quote Originally Posted by david
    NEITHER !!! They both smell like toilet cleaners.
    Oh, well. To each their own, I guess... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Honestly I've owned GIT for a few years now and absolutely adore it. I sampled CW the other day to detect the similarities and it did smell alot like GIT from the git go. ...the same thing with Millesime Imp. and Sean John, however, the one thing I have noticed -and those around you will unawaringly (if that's a word) take note of, is the vast complexity that Creed offers. The sillage is soooo much better and the drydown of GIT is the sweetest thing in the world. ..totally intoxicating. I really don't think Clooney and Brosnan and some of these other guys would be wearing this stuff if it really wasn't that great. Sure, you shouldn't wear a scent necessarily because a celeb wears it...the thing is, though, that it is something to take note of because out of all the people in the world, they're usually the ones who have the greatest access to the best of the best...so if they choose something, I think it's at least interesting to know that...anyway, that's a different topic. Fragrance is fragrance and there are for sure going to be some like Creed offers, but you're never going to get the magic and extra sparkle with the dept. store stuff.

The two smelled almost identical when I first acquired GIT.
    Now they smell entirely different.. There's no saying which is "better" because they are basically different scents, but GIT is definitely more refined.

my co-workers husband wears cool water and has been wearing it exclusively for the last 5 years. She ALWAYS compliments me on my GIT. She has never said anything about them smelling similar until the other day when she asked me to bring the bottle of GIT to work so she could get her husband a bottle. I sprayed some on my business card for her and she said it smells kinda like cool water at first. Then she said "although I have been buying him Cool water for years, I am going to buy him a bottle of GIT" She said it is the best smelling mens cologne she has EVER SMELLED. She loves it on me. I asked her about the comparison and she says THERE IS NONE!! I agree. Right out of the bottle, it smells similar. From then on, CREED is KING and it wins awards and sells like it does for a reason. It is an EXTRAORDINARY fragrance with no comparison at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    In my mind, there's no comparison. GIT is more complex and far superior.

- Brad
    this

There are a ton of Creed threads, creedjunkies. Will there be other questions from 2005 you'll be re-opening?

GIT vs Cool Water has been discussed to death. Search and read the other discussions. You'll see some in the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom of this page.

I am in the GIT is worth it arena. We've got you in the GIT is worth it arena. Welcome aboard.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th May 2010 at 04:38 AM.

I tried on Cool Water for the first time the other day. It smells exactly like Aqua Velva. Cool Water is cheep aftershave. The fact that most people can't distinguish it from GIT means that I feel no need to try that one either. Why would I pay $300 for Aqua Velva?

and awayyyyyyy we go....

How bout you just get Garrigue? That's the best of the three!

If you want a Creed that's over its shelf life , buy from huge discount sites like fragrance.net or other huge depots at a lower price and lower quality. If you want a fresh one you'll have to pay the retail price.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Oh man, one of these threads again.
    GIT is imo superior but it lasts 30-45 minutes so that's an epic fail for $250 a bottle