Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a Green....

Hello...This is my first post to basenotes, but I have really enjoyed reading the forum here. It's good to know that there are others like you out there!

I would really appreciate some thoughts on finding a Green. I would describe what I am looking for as a "Wet Green". The smell of the leaves and tems of flowers you've just cut, your lawn after the rain, freshly potted plants on windowsills. Something like that [smiley=smiley.gif]

I wore Sisley Eau de Campagne for several years, but drifted away from it...it did have great scent of tomato leaves that could instantly transport you to your grandmother's vegetable garden. I think of this as a dry Green, in my head anyway!

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, and male/female fragrance is not an issue...
    Dennis

Default Re: Looking for a Green....

Call me crazy but I think you're probably best off looking into the Demeter line. They have one called, oh, what is it now? Wet Garden? Yeah, that's it, probably just the thing you're looking for.

Lacoste Land smells exactly like my english ivy when I run over it with a lawnmower.

I strongly recommend Mugler Cologne. It has a very unique plant sap note with a citrus top of traditional eaux de colognes.
    You will also like Herba Fresca by Guerlain. Just take a look at the description on their website.
    You might like Guerlain Vetiver. But it has a tobbaco note and a very raw earthy scent(almost smells like soil) which some may not like.
    Try out Lanvin Vetyver too. Very green scent. But I personally prefer Guerlain Vetiver.
    Kenzo pour Homme is worth trying out too. It combines salty aquatic notes with green notes.

As you can see, I have listed the fragrances with decreasing preference.

Welcome aboard dude!

I think Vetiver by Adolfo Dominguez may be what you're looking for.

BTW this is my 500th post, funny how time flies....

Magnnum
    Let your nose be your pilot

For green I like CdG's Calamus, Miller et Bertaux's Greenx4 and Mazzolari's Mazzolari (forest green), Shiseido's Murasaki (if you can still find it), Balmain's Vent Vert, Agraria's Balsam (forest green again) and Guerlain's Herba Fresca

What do you think of Vent Vert? I have read about it, and I know that they had changed the original formulation to make it more "contemporary". I know that Liberty carries it here, I think I'll have to give it a sniff, and CdG, which they also carry.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I've only smelled the original once, unfortunately. I didn't feel it was shockingly different, however. The current VV opens w/ a strong green blast of grass, herbs and citrus, but it's quickly tempered by the floral notes and then the green woodsy base notes. Definitely a fresh air and country sunshine scent. Hope you get to try it soon - certainly worth it on a green quest. You might also want to try Calandre and Chanel #19.

Definitely CDG Calamus or Guerlain Herba fresca are a splash of moist fresh cut grass!

CK Truth is a sweet green, but very short lived. Too bad really, it was a nice fragrance.

SMN Fieno (Hay) is a great scent if you love the smell of hay, but it ain't easy to come by. I'd definitely order a sample of this before purchasing.

Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbmate.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

francois

Some green scents:

green soapy: Façonnable
    green floral: Fracas for men
    green woody: Vetyver (L'Occitane)
    green fresh: Live Jazz

There are excellent suggestions above. This thread shows the knowledge and nose-wisdom of Basenotes members well.

I want to add Diptyque's Ofresia, though. Fresh summer fields in sunlight, pepper and fresia. Also Selection Verte, from Creed's Vintage collection, should get a sniff. Such a springtime subtle herbal and country air beautiful achievement.

Eau de Campagne sure was a good choice in this genre! I must tip my hat to the new member on this fine selection.

Welcome to the forum!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome!
    Although I don't care for it, consider:
    Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Yes, indeed, another vote in support of Herba Fresca, which has grass as one of its notes.

Another scent that is "green" to me is the outstanding Phileas from Nina Ricci, though it is discontinued and very difficult to find. The dominant note in Phileas is celery, which effects a strong "green" character. Finally, among those I have experience with, Coriolan is also quite green to my nose.

Jeff

Clavin Klein's Truth and Crave seem pretty lawn green to me.

Diesel Green is a sweet green one.

Montana Green is a harsher one.
    Renato

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I can see I have a lot of sampling to do!
    Great to be on BN, by the way.

The first thing which came into my mind concerning a wet green scent was Vétiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle. It's a very strong and longlasting scent and reminds me to wet cut grass.
    Another one which is sweeter and softer in the drydown is Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi.

DustB has a nice recommend in selection Vert. I would also like to add Un Jardin en Mediterreanee by Hermes. I also feel Paul Smith original is very fresh and as green as it gets. Of worthy mention is vetyver by Lanvin.

Paul Smith Original -- in the green bottle

Blog Entries

On me, Kenneth Cole Reaction has a bit of a grassy edge to it.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I suggest L'Artisan L'Eau de l'Artisan (although may be too much of a dry green rather than a wet one), Givenchy Greenergy, Diptyque Virgilio, and any of the Gendarmes.