Code of Conduct

Default A show just for us on the Science Channel

I live in Southern Calif. So, Check your local cable listings wherever you live for the Science Channel showing:

A Code In The Nose
    the sense of smell

I just watched this hour long show and was amazed how in depth it was regarding how humans perceive smells and aromas. I was especially intrigued when they went into the fragrance industry to analyze the molecules of a fragrance note. They spoke to chemists about how the fragrances are made and why certain notes are used.

Default Re: A show just for us on the Science Channel

Cool thanks for the info!! I just checked my listing, and it's on tonight at 11:00 CST, so I'll be watching! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

I am commenting too late, I am afraid. This on DVD might be a seller here. Some European stations offer such services. This one may take years before it gets transmitted over here.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I watched the first 15 minutes or so and then got too tired to watch the rest. It is the show originally produced for the BBC I do believe, as it centers on Luca Turin. It was mentioned in the book about Luca written by Chandler Burr, The Emperor of Scent if memory serves me. I'll definitely watch it again, though for those who've read the book, I don't think there is anything new. It was cool though to actually see and listen to Luca expound on his theory.

I read "The Emperor of Scent" and wasn't impressed with Turin's theory, at least as it was expounded in the book. While he may have made a good argument that shape alone is a poor predictor of smell his electron tunneling spectrometer hypothesis seemed unsupported (as he almost admits at moments). I can understand why his paper was rejected for publication in Nature - far too speculative and lacking in experimental confirmation.

I do enjoy Turin's writing about fragrances.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Thanks for the heads up about the show!

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I read "The Emperor of Scent" and wasn't impressed with Turin's theory, at least as it was expounded in the book. While he may have made a good argument that shape alone is a poor predictor of smell his electron tunneling spectrometer hypothesis seemed unsupported (as he almost admits at moments). I can understand why his paper was rejected for publication in Nature - far too speculative and lacking in experimental confirmation.
    To me, Turin's theory is the only one that makes sense. All molecules vibrate at their bonds as a function of type and proximity to other bonds, and reading this signature doesn't require receptors for every possbile shape, just the simple ability to measure the bond frequencies. As a designer of a NDIR (Non-dispersive Infrared) chromatograph, it was Turin that got me thinking about fragrances and hooked here. If there's to be any besmirching of Turin, it's only for what he's done to my bank account.

While this flies against the grain of the widely held and well published Shape Theorists, whenever someone asks someone to actually build something that can actually differentiate unlimited molecule types, vibration is how it's done.

My nose:

This detects the hydrogen-carbon bond, and returns molar fraction. Infrared energy is injected at one sapphire lens, through the media, then optical filters measure energy at 3.3 and 4.0 microns at the other lens. The ratio of energies (Beer's Law) yields molar fraction. To detect generic molecules, the filters are replaced by a prism, the frequencies split into an infrared rainbow, and energies measured across the spectrum.

When you mention "Science Channel," are you referring to the "Discovery Channel," "The Learning Channel," or another channel that's actually called the "Science Channel." I'd love to see this show--I'm currently reading Burr's book on Turin. Fascinating stuff.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    When you mention "Science Channel," are you referring to the "Discovery Channel," "The Learning Channel," or another channel that's actually called the "Science Channel." I'd love to see this show--I'm currently reading Burr's book on Turin. Fascinating stuff.
    It is the Discovery Science Channel, a different channel than Discovery, but run under their umbrella identity.

http://science.discovery.com

I missed this one last night. I checked the website and every search I do turns up nothing related to this show. Anyone have any idea when this is going to run again?

Thanks.

August 21st at 9AM EST looks to be the next and only remaining showing this month.

http://science.discovery.com/schedul...mp;channel=SCI

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Thanks for the heads up about the show!

[quote author=dcampen link=1124069088/0#4 date=1124121082]I read "The Emperor of Scent" and wasn't impressed with Turin's theory, at least as it was expounded in the book. While he may have made a good argument that shape alone is a poor predictor of smell his electron tunneling spectrometer hypothesis seemed unsupported (as he almost admits at moments). I can understand why his paper was rejected for publication in Nature - far too speculative and lacking in experimental confirmation.
    To me, Turin's theory is the only one that makes sense. All molecules vibrate at their bonds as a function of type and proximity to other bonds, and reading this signature doesn't require receptors for every possbile shape, just the simple ability to measure the bond frequencies. As a designer of a NDIR (Non-dispersive Infrared) chromatograph, it was Turin that got me thinking about fragrances and hooked here. If there's to be any besmirching of Turin, it's only for what he's done to my bank account.

While this flies against the grain of the widely held and well published Shape Theorists, whenever someone asks someone to actually build something that can actually differentiate unlimited molecule types, vibration is how it's done.

[/quote]

Two big problems with Turins theory:

~ Different chiral compounds smell differently. If smell depended on vibration alone, both compounds should smell the same.
    ~ Scent receptors have been elucidated.

Perhaps the mechanism of smell has to do with a combination of both vibration and shape. I thought the Science Channel show did a wonderful job of showing both sides.

Cheers,

#

Perhaps the mechanism of smell has to do with a combination of both vibration and shape.
    Exactly! And then Turin's mechanism, electron tunneling spectrometry is wholly unsupported. Towards the end of the book there is even an episode where Turin finally admits this. At the conference in (Africa?), while being tag teamed by the other attendees he finally blurts out something to the effect of - " well all I am saying is it is not just shape".

Also, his laments about the intellectual dishonesty of of the established scent research community seemed strongly hypocritical given his delays in evaluating information and performing experiments that might provide counter examples to his theory. The isotope experiment being one example in particular.

Luca Turin's theory, a detailed account by Turin himself:
    http://www.flexitral.com/research/review_final.pdf

Researchers say there were unable to confirm Turin's theory:
    http://www.scienceblog.com/community...20046931.shtml