Code of Conduct

Default Recommend a niche frag for the desert.

And yes I mean the desert.

Up to 120 F+ (50 C) during the day. Warm all year round. Winter here is a mild spring in temperate climes.

Work often involves lifting or moving heavy things, and lots of running around, but also often requires lots of close interaction with customers - and lots of them. Summer and winter, getting sweaty and hot is the norm. When my shirts dry after work there are often rings of salt remaining on the cloth.

For a fragrance, I think I need something cool, clean, and fresh. Something that is refreshing to wear. Something that keeps working even when I'm nearing the abyss of becoming un-fresh at the end of a long day.

Yet at the same time, something refined and beautiful. Something that is a joy to wear, with a sillage I can enjoy in any circumstance. A real conundrum for someone who likes the smell of the heavier orientals.

I tried quite a few and predictably they all failed in the context of my life. I'd read the warnings here but wouldn't believe them. My beloved failures:

A*Men
    Rochas Man
    Jaipur Homme
    M7
    Sander
    Bulgari Black
    Himalaya (didn't last but a moment, will try again)
    Envy

These are all things I liked at home, in my very cold air-conditioned apartment, relaxing. Some of these I thought were just beautiful.

A few things that kind of worked in the real world:

L'Instant de Guerlain
    Heritage
    Lolita Lempicka

Each only got one day's trial. All three lasted. L'Instant was unfailingly pleasant if not a great pleasure. Heritage was more beautiful but perhaps too formal, or out of place? Lolita was suprisingly enjoyable - not too sweet - but with any gourmand now I worry if I'm grossing someone else out. All of these have had only one day of full wear so far. Likeable, but not quite right I think. I will try all of these again, a few days in a row each as possible. I've gotten a lot of samples that I still need to give a proper trial, but most fall into that heavy oriental category.

At this point I'm more inclined to look at niche frags. I've been punched in the nose one too many times by Aqua di Gio and D&G PH. And honeslty I'd like something more exotic or unusual. And of course the chase is par of the fun. *[smiley=wink.gif]

So if you can think of a frag that you would wear if you had to bake in the desert heat, then move heavy boxes or crates around for a good while, then just as you wipe the sweat off of your brow you have to chat up several pretty girls in close physical proximity, please suggest it now. [smiley=shocked.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Recommend a niche frag for the desert.

There's no doubt in my mind that the fragrance you're looking for is Live Jazz. The citrus notes will refresh you, the mint will cool you, and the subtle vanilla will add a perfect touch of oriental that you're looking for.

Oh, it's not niche. I guess I'm "fragrance-blind" when it comes to such categories.

#

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow, I wouldn't ever try wearing some of those scents during the summer here in Vegas (got up to 117 this year), with perhaps the exception of Himalaya. M7 Fresh would be worth seeking out, too.

For Creeds, good ole SMW and/or Imperial would work best. I'd stay away from the Villoresi's, except for maybe Uomo or AdC. Centuare from MPG seems like it would be perfect -- very long lasting and fresh smelling.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Holy cow, I wouldn't ever try wearing some of those scents during the summer here in Vegas (got up to 117 this year), with perhaps the exception of Himalaya. *M7 Fresh would be worth seeking out, too.
    I absolutely agree with you...now. I had to learn the hard way.

Agree 100% with Live Jazz suggestion
    YSL PH Haute Concentrate
    I've heard good things about Eau de Guerlain but have not tried it myself.
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta (my preference is the Colonia, but I'm not sure it will have the duration you like)
    LV Uomo
    Pasha
    Lucky You
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I live in Arizona, so trying to get by with a mild fragrance can be tough, especially when I find particularly good strong fragrances. I usually bring out my work horse of 212 by CH, I absolutely love it.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    I live in Arizona, so trying to get by with a mild fragrance can be tough, especially when I find particularly good strong fragrances. *I usually bring out my work horse of 212 by CH, I absolutely love it.
    Where in Arizona do you live? I grew up in Chandler but live in Virginia now. I find fresh or citrus fragrances work better for me in the summer, woody spicy fragrances which are my favorites don't work well on me when its hot.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like Ouarzazate, from the CdG Incense Series. Perhaps because I've been to the actual city of Ouarazazate, at the base of the Atlas Mountains and the edge of the Sahara, and I was there in July, I've always thought of this as a desert scent. It's one of the first colognes I bought for myself, before I discovered basenotes, so it has a place in my heart. It's dry and peppery, with a citric tang that I believe is from the clary sage and a woody drydown. It's worth a try.

For whatever reason, these off-the-wall ideas jump out at me:

Dior Fahrenheit 0 Degres - a much fresher version of the original. *Toned down on the heavy notes, with a healthy dose of citrus. *I've gone to this one often this summer. *It was the 2004 summer version, but is still available at a variety of online outlets (e/g perfumebay.com)

Guerlain / *Eau de Guerlain - one of the "coldest" scents I've tried. *The review from Opalsdad describes it as a dry citrus...a perfect summary. *It can be a bit fleeting in terms of lasting power.

Polo Sport - relatively light and fresh, this is one that seems to hold up to high activity levels on me. *Too often, a fragrance can really degenerate on me if I'm active in the heat. *I haven't found that to be a problem with this one.

And for a few more obvious ones:

Creed Millesime Imperial - legend has it that this one was developed for the King of Saudi Arabia. *How bad could it be. *Plenty of reviews on this one: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121101.html *This was my first Creed, and remains one of my favorites.

CSP Motu - I think it's marketed under a different name now. *This is one that holds up in the heat really well. *Characterized as a "marine" fragrance, it can be an acquired taste. *While the general advice of "sample it first" is always well-placed, it's a particularly good idea with this one. *One of those "love it or hate it" scents that took me awhile to warm up to.

Hermes - Eau D'Orange Verte - I absolutely love the original. *Bathe in it. *One of the freshest, classiest citrus scents around. *Unlike some (Dior Eau Sauvage), it doesn't have any hint of herbal heaviness. *The problem with the original is one of duration. *Alot of people find it to be rather short-lived. *The Concentree is also a good choice, but I think its a bit of a comprimise.......better lasting power, but sacrifices a bit in terms of "purity".

So....a curiosity question......can you tell us what your job is? *Wondering about the combination of "lifting/moving heavy things" and "close interaction with customers". *I've had a few "heavy lifting" jobs in the past, but didn't have to worry much about dripping on a customer. *So, back in the day, "Eau du Miller Draft" suited me just fine!

Just curious!

Cheers and good luck,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Another good one would be L'Artisan, L'eau de L'Artisan -- very long lasting for a citrus scent, and of course it's done with a bit of a twist.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Carlos, in your job you lift and push heavy things in the heat, you interact with pretty girls, and your clothes get dirty and sweaty by the end of your shift. What type of work do you do, if i may ask?

Btw, i recommend Boss Elements Aqua. So refreshing, smells great and long lasting!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I work in a large cd/dvd/bookstore. Receiving product (yay boxes!), putting out product (yay crates!) and customer service.

I don't want to exaggerate the heat and sweat thing, but it is a factor. *Mind you, I'm not moving boxes and stuff around outside under the desert sun. The physical labor stuff happens in a mildly air-conditioned environment. But like at the gym, it doesn't stop you from sweating.

Fragrance for the desert? Well, I can't believe nobody beat me to the punch: Cool Water.
    * Yikes *

In all seriousness, though, I second Live Jazz and would suggest Essenza di Zegna, L'Uomo Trussardi, Jean Patou Voyageur, and Givenchy pour Homme, as well.

** EDIT **

Missed the "niche" caveat... Timbuktu, maybe?

Bring the sea to its timeless counterpart. Bring on Erolfa.

Post Thanks / Like

Gobin Daude's Nuit au Desert of course!

marlen

LIVE JAZZ (Octo is right - it's perfect)
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Original Vetiver
    CSP Aqua Motu
    Mugler Cologne
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, maybe? (used lightly)

Recommend pasha, that's coming from south Texas. I'm going to try the L'artisan recommended earlier and SMW soon. Hmm, is Cartier niche? For me, you bet it is.

Best,

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    Gobin Daude's Nuit au Desert of course!

marlen
    Damn, marlen beat me to the punch!

Post Thanks / Like

Live Jazz!

Cologne Bigarade by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Post Thanks / Like

I see no point in trying to fight the desert. Go with it. New West, Yatagan, Gigli's Sud Est, or maybe even a little something on the green side, Cartier Concentre. All arid, dry, and at home among sand and cacti and those who live there. Just my two cents.

Hmmm, a slightly oriental niche frag that's appropriate for hot weather? I suggest I Profumi di Firenze's Melograno Selvatico or Gobin Daude's Sous Le Buis.

Post Thanks / Like

Creative Universe Mare, Acqua di Parma, Mugler Cologne or CdG Dry Clean would be my choices for desert