Code of Conduct

Default Patchouli colognes questions

As we all [ch65355]now, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" CD was scneted with pachouli oil This was actually my first exposure to patchouli. Some. And as soon as I found out this fact, I rushed to a nearest herb store and bought an essential oil of patchouli. But I was kind of surprised at the very earthy smell of patchouli oil. I could feel that the smell changes as it starts to dry out, to be sure, but it was nothing like what these CDs were smelling like. If I were allowed to use colors as a metaphor, the scent on the CDs were "purplish pink", as opposed to the essential oil, which was pretty "brown". Anyone have any info/opinion on this?

Anyway, I love patchouli and have been looking for colognes which has patchouli as its main ingredient, hopefully bumping into the one which smells like "Like A Parayer" CDs. One of my friends used to wear Givenchy Gentleman, and I guess this cologne has a lot of patchouli in it. Again, this cologne smells very earthy and "brown" and it does not smell interesting at all. I understand that there are alot of colognes with patchouli as a main component. Will you give me the difference among these, such as Lorenzo Villoresi's Patchouli, Patchouli Patch (by L'Artisan), Patchouli (Santa Maria Noella), Patchouli (L'Atisan)...etc? Does any of those smell like Madonna's CD?

Thank you for your info, guys!

Asianwind

Default Re: Patchouli colognes questions

Voleur de Roses and A*Men sort of have a pinkish purple patchouli smell to me

Don't know about Madonna's CD but for lighter patchouli's --

Prada (for women)
    Patchouli patch (musk with patchouli thrown in)
    Voleur De Roses (rose with patchouli thrown in)
    SMN patchouli (rose/patchouli mixture with lesser rose)
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

On my recent European trip, I was quite impressed with Byblos Patchouli. I bought a 125ml bottle for 20 Euros and it lasts strongly all day.
    Renato

Zino has a strong patchouli note that persists throughout.

Have you tried the discontinued Biagiotti Uomo? It's a great fragrance with dominant notes of patchouli. Very smooth and well blended - hardly happens in most patchouli frags.

Thank you for all these info, but will someone also make a comment on Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli? I would appreciate it!

Asianwind

Quote Originally Posted by Asianwind
    Thank you for all these info, but will someone also make a comment on Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli? I would appreciate it!

Asianwind
    LV patchouli is very earthy. It has patchouli from top to bottom. Good quality patchouli but doesn't have enough of other notes to tame down the earthiness. Definitely a very 'brown' patchouli
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Asianwind
    LV Patchouli is one of the earthiest and strongest Patchouli scents that I know. It's masterfully blended, deep, dark and misterious but according your colour description it's brown nearly black and absolutely not pink.
    A lighter version of Patchouli is Etro's Patchouli.

Aura of Patchouli by Caswell Massey is a sophisticated Patchouli blend. Very classy and dry. Dont know if this fits

your description. Heres an idea...buy a bottle of Tabu splash by Dana and add drops of pathchouli essential oil

until you reach the desired strength of the note. Tabu is a sensual inscence fragrance with patchouli as one of

its stronger notes but it does not smell as earthy as pure patchouli. I think if you bumped the Patchouli

note up , it would become more unisex and unique. Just a suggestion but it could be an answer to a prayer. [smiley=cool.gif]

I'm inclined to believe that they used some synthetic kind of patchouli to perfume those CD's in order to allow them to cope with all the distribution/retail process without loosing their intended olfatory characteritics. Plus, it sure was blended with some other aromas to achieve that "pink/purple" perception. IMHO.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

By the way, my favourite patchouli is the one I get from "Un Bois Sépia" by Serge Lutens, it is blended, and indeed kind of earthy.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

GnuGnuAntiloop

Has anyone sampled Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums?

Top Notes: Patchouli, Coriander, Cardamom
    Heart Notes: Patchouli, Floral Bouquet, Juniper Berry, Black Pepper
    Basenotes: Patchouli, Musk, Vetiver, Moss, Leather, Vanilla

Doesn't it sound marvelous?

-T-

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    By the way, my favourite patchouli is the one I get from "Un Bois Sépia" by Serge Lutens, it is blended, and indeed kind of earthy.

I totally agree, I love Un Bois Sepia. Most of the time patchouli doesn't work on me but it does in this fragrance and in Voleur de Roses. I really want to try Montale Patchouli Leaves too.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

As we all know, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" CD *was scneted with pachouli oil
    We do?
    LOL!
    I'm sorry, I just found that funny. The next Madonna album I listen to will be the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    [quote author=Asianwind link=1124511564/0#0 date=1124511564]As we all know, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" CD was scneted with pachouli oil
    We do?
    LOL!
    I'm sorry, I just found that funny. The next Madonna album I listen to will be the first.
    [/quote]

Don't mind Coleman. He is our resident misogynist lumberjack. He uses sulfuric acid as aftershave. He's a mans man. No Madonna for him!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    [quote author=Coleman link=1124511564/0#14 date=1124589473][quote author=Asianwind link=1124511564/0#0 date=1124511564]As we all know, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" CD *was scneted with pachouli oil
    We do?
    LOL!
    I'm sorry, I just found that funny. *The next Madonna album I listen to will be the first. *
    [/quote]

Don't mind Coleman. He is our resident misogynist lumberjack. He uses sulfuric acid as aftershave. He's a mans man. No Madonna for him!!!!!!

[/quote]

Ah gahd! Last time you had me shaving with napalm, now I've graduated to sulfuric acid. You're killin' me, here!
    [smiley=wink.gif]
    And me, misogynist? Nahhhh. I don't hate women. I just hate Madonna! LOL!
    [smiley=evil.gif]
    Oh I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay....

For those who gave me precious suggestions/info on patchouli colognes, thank you very much. I truely appreciated it.

And more importantly, for those who have nothing better to do other than giving such condescending messages, I was depply disappointed and evern regret joining this forum. I thought this forum was for those who share interests in fragrances and who would like to help one another in a constructive manner.

It was a short time, but, again, I appreciate those of you who shared your knowledge on certain fragrances I'm interested in. But I won't come back this website again. Thank you again and best wishes.

Asianwind

Big Madonna fan obviously.....

For those who gave me precious suggestions/info on patchouli colognes, thank you very much. I truely appreciated it.

And more importantly, for those who have nothing better to do other than giving such condescending messages, I was depply disappointed and evern regret joining this forum. I thought this forum was for those who share interests in fragrances and who would like to help one another in a constructive manner.

It was a short time, but, again, I appreciate those of you who shared your knowledge on certain fragrances I'm interested in. But I won't come back this website again. Thank you again and best wishes.

Asianwind
    Ok, now I'm completely lost. Can ANYONE explain to me what in the world was condescending about this particular thread. Personally, I found it an amusing mix between solid information (after all, all of Asianwind's question were answered promptly, right!?) and some good old tongue-in-cheek humor that was neither condescending nor offensive. Did I miss something here???

P.S.
    I have never listened to a Madonna CD either, for that matter, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything....

No I couldn't find the condescending parts either...which is why I think he just didn't like Madonna getting a slating....if it helps Asainwind I quite like her!

I really don't see the big deal with listening to Madonna. I admit that I like a few of her songs as well. Some of the outrageous things we do as fragrance fanatics make listening to Madonna's music seem mundane.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    [quote author=Asianwind link=1124511564/0#0 date=1124511564]As we all know, Madonna's "Like a Prayer" CD *was scneted with pachouli oil
    We do?
    LOL!
    I'm sorry, I just found that funny. *The next Madonna album I listen to will be the first. *
    [/quote]

Actually I think it was the Immaculate Collection LP that smelled of patchouli.

Lush Karma is patchouli plus orange. Very potent.

Edit: Oops, I never read the part where he got offended.

I never did, do not, and never will listen to Madonna!

I hope this cause us to lose any other members!!

Some people are too sensitive.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I'm sure he will eventually return and post here but just with another alias...
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    I'm sure he will eventually return and post here but just with another alias...
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Listen you cretins, I can't believe you all treated that poor chap so rudely.
    Well, I like Madonna - not her music really, but I like her, you know, as a person. Sometimes. Like when she fell off her horse. I liked her then. Oh, and I used to listen to her music before basketball games, like in 1985. I liked her then too.
    So do I have to leave the forum? Are all Modonna lovers being shown the door?

Well, I'm out of here too then, in a show of solidarity!!
    All Madonna lovers UNITE!!
    BOYCOTT BASENOTES!!!!

See, now I'm bordering on condescending...
    Doc

Guess I missed what got his "undies bunched in a wad" also...totally flew right over my overlyfragranced head. I was going to suggest Patchouli Pure by FRESH....can be found online at their site or now at Sephoria. I think it is EXACTLY what he is looking for. Too Bad.