Code of Conduct

Default Mouchoir de Monsieur

I recently sought out a sample of Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur, due to positive comments I have read on this board, with the thought of purchasing a bottle. *I thought it smelled very much like Shalimar. *I couldn't get over the similarity. *Yet, unlike Shalimar, which I have sampled and lasts for hours on my skin, I couldn't detect Mouchoir on my skin after an hour.

Being made by the same company, I can understand the similaries. *My question is, why would someone pay the exhorbitant price for Mouchoir, when they could find Shalimar at their nearby TJ Maxx or Marshalls for about 1/5th the price? *Is it because it's hard to find? *Is it worth the price? *Any opinions from those who have sampled Mouchoir or own it? *Does it last a long time on you? *

Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur

Ah.....Mouchoir....so many stories....at one time it was a much more powerful scent...

Spray Mouchoir on one hand and Shalimar on the other...wait 10 minutes, now sniff...there's your answer. You'll find they head in very different directions. On me it is quite earthy and rich with amber and cinnamon, animalic with its tonka and patchouli, and slightly buttery floral with iris and jasmine.

To my nose, and for sake of history, Mouchoir is actually closer to Jicky with its lavender and civet notes, less about the vanilla as compared to Shalimar. I find it develops differently when sprayed vs. splashed or dabbed. But you are correct - a high price tag, but a chance to wear a vintage scent that truly has no comparison.

Use the search function to read more comments on Mouchoir from past threads - I think we'd all agree it's longevity is disappointing, but it does work as a second-skin scent. If Guerlain produced additional products it would really help carry this scent further.

I recently sampled Mouchoir in depth recently (to refresh my memory of it) and found it more civet-y than I had recalled. I still find it very pleasant.

The scent later settled out into a nice, light floral. Perhaps too light for my tastes. (I like a bit of in-your-face masculine sillage. Perhaps my nose was off that day.)

Any other impressions on the amount of civet in Mouchoir de Monsieur, or the sillage and longevity of this very unique scent?
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th March 2010 at 09:24 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Mouchoir is deceptive though. It actually lasts far longer than you think it does. I love the fragrance and always feel I'm wearing something special on the days it feels right to wear it.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I find its longevity admirable at least on my skin. A few years back it wasn't that hard to come by. I think things might have changed now.

Thank you for the input. Mouchoir is often not in stock for online retailers but readily can be had (at full price, of course) in the boutiques. I really like this scent and eventually hope to buy this some day. Remarkably well-blended and never harsh.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th March 2010 at 10:39 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I find MdM to have decent longevity. Mouchoir is a hold out from the 19th Century whereas Shalimar perhaps defines a more 1920s type stronger perfume. MdM is an acquired taste for sure, but quite nice to have around.

Post Thanks / Like

From my point of view, men's fragrances were not commonly very tenacious in bygone days. MdM does have a lighter longevity than, say, Shalimar due to its original intended audience. Granted, it has been tinkered with over the years, and I believe the current MdM has much better longevity than it did in the past.... It always had better longevity than other early Gueralin fragrances worn by men such as Imperiale.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 30th March 2010 at 11:12 PM.

I agree, mrclmind, that 19th century scents (esp. earlier on) were the eau de Colognes and eau de jasmins, which were essentailly light toilette waters. The Comte d'Orsay was known to have used "orange flower water" as this was listed in "essential things to have" when he, his wife and mother-in-law moved to London in the 1830s. I doubt if this was a potent EDT or pure parfum.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th March 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you for the input. Mouchoir is often not in stock for online retailers but readily can be had (at full price, of course) in the boutiques. I really like this scent and eventually hope to buy this some day. Remarkably well-blended and never harsh.
    I thought your comments were coming from someone who had already owned a bottle of MdM.

I, like you, found a certain 'absence' to this scent the first time I sampled it. It wasn't until I got a large decant (and then subsequently a full bottle) that I realized what a fantastic lavender masculine this is. It is everything that I wanted Jicky to be, but better. Longevity, sillage and the prominence of the civet can morph from almost imperceptible all of the way to very prominent. The magic of MdM is in the tiny, rather elegant whiffs, it gives off the entire time it's worn.

Have you read my review thread I started last year? http://www.basenotes.net/threads/237...rlain-a-review
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 31st March 2010 at 12:19 AM.

Thank you for the link, Mike. I enjoyed your in-depth review. I missed your thread in my archives search. I sampled Mouchoir many times in stores but never ended up buying, instead buying a sample. I hope to buy a full bottle but that confounded Habit Rouge always gets in the way...

Yes, MdM *is* indeed a chameleon of a scent--at turns civet-y and then floral on me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the link, Mike. I enjoyed your in-depth review. I missed your thread in my archives search. I sampled Mouchoir many times in stores but never ended up buying, instead buying a sample. I hope to buy a full bottle but that confounded Habit Rouge always gets in the way...

Yes, MdM *is* indeed a chameleon of a scent--at turns civet-y and then floral on me.
    Well, if I had to choose between Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur (thank God I don't), I would pick Habit Rouge too Primrose.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well, if I had to choose between Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur (thank God I don't), I would pick Habit Rouge too Primrose.
    I would love to sample the upcoming HR extrait, but it is sooo pricey... (sigh) I love the EDP, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to sample the upcoming HR extrait, but it is sooo pricey... (sigh) I love the EDP, though.
    They are rereleasing HR Extrait? I thought that was gone.

Post Thanks / Like

HR extrait is being rereleased because it was so successful apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    HR extrait is being rereleased because it was so successful apparently.
    Where did you get this info? Mr. Guerlain had said that Guerlain Paris told him it was not slated for re-release. I hope you are correct!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Where did you get this info? Mr. Guerlain had said that Guerlain Paris told him it was not slated for re-release. I hope you are correct!
    I believe that Mr G got the information straight from the horse's mouth, ie Guerlain in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    It seems the re-release is at best on hold: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...tumn?p=1793556 I missed Mr. Guerlain's March 2nd post when I first read it. Nothing like letting one's hopes soar and then dashing them to pieces.

I think I'll be one of those making a phone call in September.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Post Thanks / Like

On me, apart from the stunning smell, Mouchoir de Monsieur has such record worthy lasting power, that it were good value for money at almost any price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I, like you, found a certain 'absence' to this scent the first time I sampled it. It wasn't until I got a large decant (and then subsequently a full bottle) that I realized what a fantastic lavender masculine this is. It is everything that I wanted Jicky to be, but better. Longevity, sillage and the prominence of the civet can morph from almost imperceptible all of the way to very prominent. The magic of MdM is in the tiny, rather elegant whiffs, it gives off the entire time it's worn.
    I agree completely with mikeperez23 - it is amazing how you can keep catching prominent 'whiffs' of MdM even 4-5 hours after it has been first applied. It's not massively long lasting and doesn't produce acres of sillage - it's far too refined for that type of behaviour!! However, it lasts brilliantly on the skin and can be smelled on clothing the next day. Having owned it for a couple of years now (and used it sparingly for special occasions) I would hope to never be without it again. It will never replace Habit Rouge in my affections but comes a very close second.
    Last edited by Derbyman; 31st March 2010 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been my favourite fragrance for the last ten years, and after trying hundreds of others I have never found anything better. This is as good as it gets IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    On me, apart from the stunning smell, Mouchoir de Monsieur has such record worthy lasting power, that it were good value for money at almost any price
    And, Ken, as a plus, Luca Turin calls this "as studiedly dandifed as a perfume can be." LOL! He says of the reformulated HR, that it has less "dandified frippery" than earlier versions. Sad for the new HR, as I happen to like a little frippery...perhaps by "frippery" he is meaning the subtle sweetness.

I like the "reduced frippery" in MdM very much and adore the lavender.
    Last edited by Primrose; 31st March 2010 at 03:54 PM.

All my perfumed life Jicky has been in my must have list and gets replaced when it's done. I'm not so keen on the latest reformulation but after the now disappointing opening I still enjoy it. I bought MdM without trying it first because I read on here that it's a 'brother' of Jicky's (and because I saw it at a good price) and I just love it. It lasts all day on me. I use three sprays and I can still smell it wafting up from the neck of my blouse when I get home from work, although it's not 'in your face'. It's not like Shalimar on me at all.