Code of Conduct

Default The creed-ulity factor

I have observed that we tend to give the more expensive fragrances, 6th, 7th, 8th chances to like them while the cheaper ones get tossed when they don't impress us on the first try. Several friends of mine have also confessed that they will never purchase a certain brand like Armani, Tommy or Hugo because they hate the ubiquitous nature of their offerings and have stayed away from the frags that these houses offer. Is there a certain prejudice (too strong a word perhaps) or inclination in us that causes this particular behavior? One thing i've learnt from writing reviews of scents is that you need to give every scent a full wearing for at least a week to discover its subtle nuances and even then, there are scents that mature well and tend to be very fickle at revealing their inner jewels too soon. [smiley=undecided.gif]

Default Re: The creed-ulity factor

The funny thing is, i keep giving GIT test drives, not enjoying it at all until the drydown. I wouldn't do this with most scents, usually it's pretty clear whether i like something or not. Embarrasingly enough, i finally admitted to myself that the part of Green Irish Tweed that I enjoy so much is when it goes into smelling like cool water (which i had previously avoided buying) and so instead of continuing this love/hate thing with GIT, i went and bought myself a small bottle of cool water today.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Quite frankly, I'm inCreedulous at the prices you guys pay for that stuff! Doh!
    Someday, maybe my ship'll come in and I'll try some of it.

I just do not see the whole GIT = CW thing.
    They smell similar for about 60 seconds then the GIT smelss far better on the drydown.
    JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    I just do not see the whole GIT = CW thing.
    They smell similar for about 60 seconds then the GIT smelss far better on the drydown.
    JMO.
    I'm with you.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Yes, another thing that perplexes me is how much airplay Creeds get compared to even some of the other artisinal offerings. Basenoters seem to gravitate towards this house like bees to honey. And this is even given the quality control issues as brought out in Indie's thread "My Himalaya Debacle". Sure, i've got my favourites from this house: Bois du Portugal, MI, SMW, Selection Verte, things i could never imagine being without. But I also have others like Lutens' Vertiver Oriental, Douce Amere, Ambre Sultan, Villoresi's Dilmun and Yerbamate, Costume National Scent Intense, Artisan's Passage D'Enfer, Tea for Two, Navagateur etc... that stands on an equal footing or surpasses the Creeds (except for BdP which is an awesome woody scent, the best in my collection).

BTW, to my experience, GIT is closer to Floris JF and Curve. CW is an aquatic scent that evokes blueness. Curve has a Green leaf note in the topnotes and living cactus in the midnotes which in the overall effect tries to evoke a sense of greenery, hence also GREEN Irish Tweed. No matter, whatever you equate GIT to, you have to justify that the GIT experience is well worth the extra dough that you're forking out for it in relation to just buying Cool Water AND/or Curve. For me currently, i sometimes layer my GIT(yes i own GIT) with my Curve for a unique, mind bending experience.

To those who see absolutely no or little similarities between GIT and Curve or Cool Water, then splash on the GIT in confidence and enjoy the scent.

Now, doesn't OV smell a lot like Mugler's Cologne? and i hear Original Santal smells like Chanel Allure?? (rhetorical questions!) LOL!!!!! Bois du Portugal man!!! Now there's a truly unique experience!!!

Oh, here's my review of GIT and Curve for those who wouldn't be caught dead perusing the Liz Claiborne Directory pages! LOL!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, it's written in my usual long-winded narrative style:

GIT vs Curve

I am really struck by how similar Curve smells to Creed's Green Irish Tweed! This has been mentioned before but i was a bit sceptical because i kept thinking, how can a mass marketed scent smell so similar to a legendary Creed! I've gotten into collecting Creed recently and the association just simply refuses to connect for me. My first impression was that GIT and Curve are very similar, definitely in the same family. Upon closer inspection/testing i've found:

Curve lacks the projection ability of GIT. I sprayed 2 spritz of Curve on my chest and 2 on each wrist, put on my clothes and went out to do some shopping. Nothing! I barely got a drift of scent from my wrists but nothing emanated from my clothes. The "Caron 3rd Man" effect just wasn't there! Last night i tried the same thing with GIT. Frankly, i expected a resounding success and i wasn't disappointed. Some Creeds may have longevity issues on some people, but none i've tried have had problems with producing sillage IMO. I went out last night to an all-night cafe wearing just two spritz of GIT on my chest and it was pumping out plumes of GIT notes throughout. My pals noticed it, their girlfriends noticed it even more!

So, the question now is: Is GIT a more potent/concentrated Curve or is Curve the poor man's GIT? While GIT has a citric topnote that turns green rapidly, Curve goes straight to the point of being green with a slightly vanillic base that mimics the sandalwood + ambergris base of GIT. Upon application, Curve immediately expands its notes, like a Chinaman spreading his wares on the sidewalk of Chinatown, while GIT (and most Creeds) prefers to keep things strictly regimented. You get one dominant note, it subsides and you get another and another and so on, like buying jewellery. You could say that GIT does it with style and panache while Curve exudes youthful exuberance and brashful energy. Being exuberant, Curve also tires itself out faster and doesn't last as long as GIT, spritz vs spritz. GIT takes its time, nice and slow, playing out a mellow soulful tune before hitting the basenotes. I think this is the attraction for the opposite sex. GIT promises a prolonged engagement of a pleasurable encounter. Afterall, why does GIT attract men of substance like Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford? Like attracts like IMO.

The problem now is: With the availability of Curve, is GIT worth it? Tough one to answer. I have both and can see situational applications for them but i came by both by "accident". I had to try out the legendary Creed in my lifetime (Eastwood and Redford being two of my fav actors of all time) and the Curve is a rare scent in my country, hard to come by plus nothing in the mainstream smells quite like these two. In terms of situational use, yes i believe they have a particular niche area, i'd use Curve for a day outing exclusively, while GIT for evening wear and more serious stuff where i want to feel special and confident and flirt. But what adds fuel to the fire is the price and questions of value that will inevitably cross the minds of discerning buyers with limited budgets for scents. I will go out on the limb here and say go for the GIT over the Curve. Narrow the price gap by buying from Ebay or do what i did, swap with a basenoter of excellent repute (cool from Poland in my case). I will not go into the debate of "buying retail for peace of mind" because i think you can spot a fake Creed a mile away, the Creed note being the first thing you look for unless it's a vintage line. But if you already have Curve, and think it's the beez kneez, finish that bottle unless like me, you want to explore the significance of GIT."

So If GiT= CW? Then does CW=Curve?
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    So If GiT= CW? Then does CW=Curve?
    GIT smells like what I'd imagine someone spraying curve on top of cool water would smell like. When I sample GIT, i get mostly cool water fragarnce, but w/ a few notes of curve...it's odd...
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

great review again milamber, please keep those coming!

I currently own MI, GIT, Himalaya, and Tabarome Millesimie. I love them all because they all have their specific functions in my wardrobe. I had purchased SMW a month or so ago but it had that terrible note that just killed my wanting any more of it for the time being. They are truly great fragrances and will always have a place in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    I have observed that we tend to give the more expensive fragrances, 6th, 7th, 8th chances to like them..... Is there a certain prejudice (too strong a word perhaps) or inclination in us that causes this particular behavior?.......

One thing i've learnt from writing reviews of scents is that you need to give every scent a full wearing for at least a week to discover its subtle nuances and even then, there are scents that mature well and tend to be very fickle at revealing their inner jewels too soon.
    (1) I also give scents a second or third chance before I make up my mind. Had I not, I would have missed the best scents in my life. But there are exceptions: when something troubles me in a cologne, like Cool Water, for longer than five minutes, I get demotivated as a scent frag. That thing would just be bored in my bathroom because day after day I would reach for another bottle instead. I would do this in spite of knowing it is exceptionally nice after a few hours. Things would be different could I develop a more academic interest in colognes that I find boring or annoying. More than four chances? Never!
    You are certainly correct - there is the common prejudice that something expensive might be better than products sold at modest prices. Prestige value, status etc. play a big part here. If not expensive, a cologne must be difficult to come by to gain in appreciation. After we went through some trouble to obtain it, we are more inclined to love than to criticize.

(2) Your balanced views on various colognes have impressed me, sometimes they also inspire me to go and (re)try them myself. I know, that reviews like you do them have hardly been written fast. But I am amazed that you need to give every scent a full wearing for at least a week. Chapeau!
    During most of my days I cannot concentrate much on what I am wearing but I noticed that two Creeds, a Malle, Lutens etc. a n d a few others from Guerlain to Puig develop during the course of the day. Surprises are possible during the whole life of half a bottle (I never seem to finish one completely).

I wonder if there are more popular ones with similarly rich facets during the day. We must not forget, of course, that our body has a daily cycle of its own, and the varying scent messages may partly be caused by the body itself.

[smiley=undecided.gif]

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Yes I do think GIT reminds me of Cool Water and OV of Mugler Cologne but only for the first 30 minutes! I get a much better drydown on the Creeds. The other ones smell too synthetic on the drydown. I never thought GIT has sandalwood but now I smell it on the drydown, I don't smell it in Cool Water.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    Quite frankly, I'm inCreedulous at the prices you guys pay for that stuff! *Doh!
    Someday, maybe my ship'll come in and I'll try some of it. *
    Coleman, do you know who your daddy is? I think we might be long lost brothers ;-).

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    [quote author=Coleman link=1124580782/0#2 date=1124588734]Quite frankly, I'm inCreedulous at the prices you guys pay for that stuff! *Doh!
    Coleman, do you know who your daddy is? I think we might be long lost brothers ;-).

--Steve[/quote]

Well you know, Steve...

Papa was a rollin' stone
    wherever he laid his hat was his home
    And WHEN HE DIED
    all he left us was alooooone!!!
    [smiley=wink.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    [quote author=SmellsLike link=1124580782/0#13 date=1124654450][quote author=Coleman link=1124580782/0#2 date=1124588734]Quite frankly, I'm inCreedulous at the prices you guys pay for that stuff! *Doh!

--Steve[/quote]

Well you know, Steve...

Papa was a rollin' stone
    And WHEN HE DIED
    all he left us was alooooone!!!
    [smiley=wink.gif]
    [/quote]
    You sure its not:
    Papa was a rollin' stone
    And WHEN HE DIED
    all he left us was a 100 bottles of cologne!!!

That's what my son would sing probably! [smiley=undecided.gif]

I think I'm pretty much "equal opportunity" when it comes to testing frags. After trying one out it goes into one of three boxes - (1) Absolutely!; (2) Let's check this out again later; and (3) I can't see myself wearing this at all. The frags which end up in the #2 box seem to get test driven more because I feel like I have to eventually classify them as either #1 or #3.

Now, when it comes to actually *purchasing* a fragrance, I definitely consider the ubiquity factor. If I smell a frag from my #1 box too frequently on others when I go out, chances are I won't purchase it

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcut
    Now, when it comes to actually *purchasing* a fragrance, I definitely consider the ubiquity factor. *If I smell *a frag from my #1 box too frequently on others when I go out, chances are I won't purchase it
    Yeah, the "ubiquity factor" could definitely be an eliminator. But considering "average joe's" poor taste that shouldn't be any big tragedy.

Creed reminds me of Rolex. A long while ago, a wristwatch board very similar to this board called Timezone had an extremely knowledgeable participant that took apart and analyzed a Rolex and found that it wasn't really the be all and end all of the art of watchmaking yet everyone coveted it and wanted at least one. Certainly it was still of high quality and totally functional but many other artisan watchmakers had products of a much higher caliber and some were quite a bit less money than the Rolex. In fact, to get similar quality, at the time, one didn't need to spend anything near what a Rolex cost. Did this negate the desire in anyone to own a Rolex? Not really. For some reason it remained "the" status symbol watch to own. Sure, some were very put off by what was found and these were possibly the true aficionados who like wristwatches purely for the artistic, quality watchmaking they contain yet the majority still coveted the Rolex and fought for what they still perceived as the true watch to strive for. There was even some quality control issues mentioned with Rolex yet again it seemingly was not a deterrent to purchase
    a Rolex in any way.
    This all sounds very familiar to me. And by the way..........I still continue to want my Creed's and I still want a Rolex one day...... [smiley=grin.gif]