Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default What was your first cologne?

It was only a couple years ago when I noticed that some of the fragrances that men wore were so fresh and universal that even myself as a woman could wear & enjoy. After some casual sniffing @ Dillards fragrance counters, I instantly fell in love w/ Clinique Happy for men. This became my first "Pour Homme" fragrance.

What was the scent that started you all on your fragrant journey?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: What was your first cologne?

Back in the late 80's, when i was 18 or 19, i bought my first cologne; it was Aspen for men. Later on in my 20's i was into Drakkar Noir.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

yeah I know,I am still trying to figure out how everything became so fresh and universal,sux to go to the club and all the chicks ae wearing the same frag as me,got rid of the gio,and happy,got some visit,gucci,and still lookin for some more sawdust smellin type of stuff that the girls will like not wear,or will they...hmmm,maybe I'm just at the wrong club...hmmm?
    anyway my first fragrance
    avon black suede,or was it halston 101,jade east.
    lagerfeld
    missoni
    drakkar
    new west
    rest is history

At 1976 Paco Rabanne pour homme.

Hi,

My sister gave me a bottle of CK One for Christmas around '94. I've had several different bottles since then, but I would have to say Fahrenheit was what started my interest in fragrances.

Cheers,

Jambo

First worn? I'm sure it was either Old Spice, English Leather or Tabac Original. (Dad's three.)
    First bought for myself? Either Wind Drift or Racquet Club -- two of the (many) Dana fragrances of my youth.

Yvan

A bit of Old Spice, but then rapidly into Monsieur Musk by Houbigant...(late 70s)
    then Racquet Club...(early 80s)

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122410.html

then Aramis and Drakkar Noir. But I think it was around the time I got Gucci Envy that I started sampling furiously.

My first was Halston 1-12. I think I was 15. I wanted JHL but mum didn't think it was appropriate for my age.

If you do not count Axe/Lynx etc. my first "real" fragrance must have been Tsar.

My first cologne was Drakkar noir.
    Let your nose be your pilot

I still remember my first bottle - I was in university - first year and sample it during lunch hour inside a department store - the SA insisted that I try it. He was very generous as he gave me a decant - poured it in front of me, about 10 to 15 ml. I bought it a week later - when I got my paycheck.

It was Héritage by Guerlain.
    The date - it was the openning day of its release in Canada - either 1991 or 1992

My very first cologne was Eau Jeune by some french-russian venture.
    Then - CK Eternity for men
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Somewhere around 1990: Sport de Paco Rabanne

My very first cologne worn was Polo , which was my father's and then Drakkar. I believe i was around 13. My first cologne that was purchased: Claiborne Sport and Curve I think?

Hi Karate.

Kouros.

Paco Rabanne pour homme

Kouros, back in 1983

Started early on the stuff with Yorktown back in '62, a tip from a sophisticated older friend. Everyone else I knew smelled of English Leather at the time.

Brut came along soon after and everyone switched to it. I prefered to continue with Yorktown, finding Brut a bit gastly, until Canoe came along, venturing on to Aqua Lavanda, Oak Moss, and CM Lime.

Drakkar Noir
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Aramis Tuscany in the mid 80's. Then went through a Chanel Pour Monsieur period and a Drakkar Noir period. Up until about six months ago, I only ever had one fragrance at a time and the ideas of having more than one, paying attention to the notes in a fragrance, or matching a fragrance to a season, occasion or mood were totally unknown to me.

Thanks, Basenotes. Or damn you, I'm not sure which ;-).

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Wild Country (1967)
    by Avon (Avon)
    * My grandmother was an original Avon Lady. Starting in the 50's and selling up to 1982.

* I traveled with her down the back roads of eastern N.C. for years and saw folks with no

* indoor plumbing buy bags full of these products. I remember helping her tear open the large

* boxes that would arrive from the Avon distribution . *My God that glorious aroma will be in my
    * heart and soul forever . This was the beginning of my life long *love affair with fragrances.

First it was a knock-off of Cool Water, then Obsession by CK.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Chaps was the first bottle of cologne I remember owning. Before that, I used to bum off my stepfather's Brut.

Drakkar, when I was in high school in the 80s. A couple of years ago, when I got back into fragrances, the first one was Pi.

I think it was Drakkar Noir, but it might have been Fahrenheite.

Armani Pour Homme
    D&G by Man
    Lacoste Booster
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

STETSON COUNTRY.. Yee-Haaa !

Jules / Christian Dior in 1981 - I was 19 years old

Tommy was my first cologne. I wore it every single day in junior high. Now when I smell it, I always ask myself "Why???"

in my case, XS paco rabanne at 13-14, then a drakkar noir miniature... at my 16-17 years old, a girl gave me Eau d rochas, wooow *how i remember that fragance !! *i really want to buy it again, but im afraid to memories ejejej

there my 3 first fragances.....

now i hate XS... [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

[smiley=cheesy.gif]

I cheap ones as a little boy but my first real ones were when I was going through jr. high:

1. Drakkar Noir

2. Polo Green

Paco Rabanne
    Jazz-YSL
    Cacharel pour homme

My first "good" cologne was YSL pour homme. I did occasionally borrow my older brother's Eau Sauvage.

4711 (1792) was given to me as a child from Grandma (who was Czech, but Grandpa was German) and I used this on special occasions till I discovered Pierre Cardin in the early 80's.

So first tried: 4711

First used regularly: Pierre Cardin

And it was Azzaro

I can recall smelling this on a plane or train etc......... becoming a classic signature I was probably too young to wear it but it was the smell of the moment

laurent
    Invisible Power

Old spice as a little boy.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I got Polo Sport when I was...like, 10 or something. Didn't care for it, still don't. The first fragrance that I actually owned and enjoyed was Boss Bottled (no.6). I got it when I was 14-15 I think. I still think it's a good fragrance, but it's a bit too popular now...

English Leather (1961, when I was a Sophomore in High School).
    I still own a little tester bottle of that fragrance. Although I'll probably never wear the fragrance again, I do enjoy smelling it every once in a while from the bottle.

Avon's Wild Country or what ever it's called, in a Snoopy Bottle which I still have.
    My 1st real scents was Jovan musk Oil and then came Halston Z-14.
    Followed by Pierre Cardin.
    Gary

Why So Serious?

Back when i was 14, i was poor, coldn't afford $60-$80 colognes, so i bought a knock-off of Polo Sport called Pony, it probably contained a few drops of the real Polo Sport and the rest was just water, it was $5. Back then Polo Sport was a hit in high school, it was also a big hit with the girls then, i actually saved money from my allowance and eventually bought my first bottle of Polo Sport, everyday i used to overspray the stuff and most of my friends borrowed it occasionally, a 125ml bottle was gone in about two months. I was so obessessed with it that i bought another bottle, and i remember one day one of my friend was gonna borrow it again from my locker, and he dropped it on the floor in the hallway, that floor in the school smelled like PS for the next few weeks. I was pissed and did not buy another bottle, when i was 16, i had a few more colognes like Nautica, Swiss Army and ADG. One day out of the blue, i smelled Polo Sport on somebody else, i couldn't help it but to buy my third bottle, only this time it lived, in fact 30% of it is still laying around on my desk, it's been almost 8 years and it's still going strong, though i dont wear it at all since my basenotes era, it will always have a special place in my massive fragrance wardrobe, it brings me back to my golden days, and those goldens days really have made me whom i've become today.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

At 16 I was a stock clerk at a local drug store. The costetics manager asked me if I wanted some samples so I took home Jovan Musk and Eau Savage. Didn't care for Johvan but kept the Eau Savage and it has been in my collection ever since. Drakkar came soon and then Lagerfeld before things really took off.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Back in the late 80's, when i was 18 or 19, i bought my first cologne; it was Aspen for men. Later on in my 20's i was into Drakkar Noir.

Same here! Except I bought Aspen when I was 14 and Drakkar Noir and Cool Water when I was 18.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

When I was around 16, working in my folks' restaurant, a guy came up to the counter and I *really* wanted to know what cologne he was wearing. I didn't have the kahuna's to ask, but luckily my coworker buddy of mine was thinking the same thing, and he point blank asked the guy. The guy, somewhat embarrassed, said it was Azzaro PH, and that he may have overdone it a little. Well the rest is history. I drove to the mall that day and purchased my very own bottle of Azzaro PH. And I *still* love the stuff.

In college, I made the switch to Tsar. I don't remember exactly what motivated me to do so, I probably just needed a change.

And now I can't imagine wearing the same fragrance more than two days in a row

I bought my first bottle of cologne in 1987, it was Salvador Dali Pour Homme, yes, I know I am a freak.

CK Obsession for Men was my first.

I smelled it recently and struck me as surprisingly gourmand for the period. I don't remember that candied cinnamon-like note that jumps out at you.

My first bottle was a bottle of Chaps that one of my friends gave me when I was around 7. I hated the smell of it so much that I never wore it.

My first "real" bottle was a small bottle of Hermes Equipage from a Varig Brazilian Airlines first-class travel kit, also given to me by the same friend. Didn't wear that one, either.

And the first bottle that I actually wore was Acqua di Gio...and that was four years ago. I've since moved on to bigger and better things in smellies.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

First from Mom: Canoe. What's this? Water you wear just to smell good? Does it have any practical purpose? What a bother. Just another thing to do before I run to catch the school bus.

First from Grandfather: Nina Ricci's Signoricci. Oh, this is so important a step in my growing up that I only get a mini bottle? Sure, smells nice, but I've got to go ride my bike now.

First wow: Halston Z-14. Sample brought home by Mom. Made an impression.
    Twin wow: Halston 1-12. Twin impression--wow. There might be something to this.

First purchases: Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Lagerfeld (Classic), Grey Flannel, Polo. I'll just bring this along to school, put it on the shelf of my locker, and refresh after each class.

First bought and worn on girlfriend's command: Aramis. Wrap me around her little finger and make me smell like Aramis.

First signature: Eau Sauvage Extreme. Bullied by fragrance counter sales woman into buying it. Beat myself up for being a dumb consumer. Whoa, this smell rocks! I'll put this on every morning since I'm not bothering to bathe. And I can still feel good about myself!

Second signature: Drakkar Noir. Mom delivers again. I wear and love this through my senior year in college--just as I think of what I want to be as I become a real person in the real world.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

[blue]Entertaining set of vignettes Chris.

I am interested to know, was that the original Signoricci (a.k.a. Signoricci 1, which came in a red box with a lion on the front) or was it what now passes for Signoricci (a.k.a. Signoricci 2, which came in a brown and gold trimmed box with a lion on it) that your grandfather wore? Either way, your grandfather was one cool dude with seriously good taste. Now we know where you get it from. [smiley=wink.gif]

scentemental[/blue] [smiley=happy.gif]

jazz
    the chicks would always say. omg merv u smell so good.

The first I ever bought for myself was Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur. That was everywhere in the seventies!

Adidas moves, which sort of made me nauseous..then i was given a bottle of tommy which i wore for a while..and the first fragrance i bought for myself, which got me addicted to all this was A*men
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

OMG! It was Polo by Ralph Lauren...I don't know why...probably because it was THE frag of the moment. I remember people saying that it smelled like pine trees, but I kept on wearing it. It was nice to know that I could buy a small bottle of that stuff for $17.50 and I was considered wearing "the expensive stuff". LOL Couldn't believe it, but I was 14 yrs. old then, but that started my whole fascination of the meaning of scents!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Funny how Drakkar Noir keeps getting mentioned!
    I still have a bottle of the stuff, it's my wife's favorite!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Lacoste (original) back in early high school. And a Lagerfeld Photo deo stick. That Lacoste was so horrible, even then.

Excluding Lynx/axe etc: Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren.

MMM

Aramis

The very first one was with thirteen.

A 30ml After Shave bottle of Versace L'Homme. I didn't have the money to go for the Eau de Toiltette. LOL!

It's not the best Cologne for a thirteen year old, but maaan was I proud!

I still think it's no bad joice (for a guy over 30) [smiley=grin.gif]
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

nino cerruti pour homme when I was 14 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [blue]Entertaining set of vignettes Chris.

I am interested to know, was that the original Signoricci (a.k.a. Signoricci 1, which came in a red box with a lion on the front) or was it what now passes for Signoricci (a.k.a. Signoricci 2, which came in a brown and gold trimmed box with a lion on it) that your grandfather wore? Either way, your grandfather was one cool dude with seriously good taste. Now we know where you get it from. [smiley=wink.gif]

scentemental[/blue] [smiley=happy.gif]
    Hey, Scentemental, thanks for the kind words.

I'm pretty sure it was a mini of what now passes for Signoricci, or the "Signoricci 2." Pretty sure, that is, but not certain. The bottle shape as I recall it had similarities to both of the 1970s releases of Signoricci that the BN directory shows us. I think I'd have to smell them all again, even my long lost mini, to be certain.

I wish I knew if my grandfather wore it. The scent I most remember of him was the smoke of Salem cigarettes in bright sunlight. For fragrance he wore some traditional edc formulation that might have been 4711 or C-M's number six. It also could have been Acqua di Parma, which almost always reminds me of him, but seems like something he'd never approve of purchasing. I thought his wife, my grandmother, always wore Diptyque's Olene the first day I ever smelled Olene, but it was released in 1995--long after I'd been smelling whatever it was on her. So my notions of what both my grandparents wore have just gone pffft out the window. I really suspect that the mini of Signoricci I received was from some gift with purchase for something else he purchased. I sure wish I knew for certain what that might have been.

The Signoricci was great stuff, when I remembered to put it on. I'm sure I never wore enough to get any sillage though, and I'm sure I just forgot about it when I had it on even more than forgetting about it after a shower before school in the morning.

Thanks for asking! I love the life stories that come with how we make ourselves smell.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.