Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aquolina "Blue Sugar"

I just read on makeupalley that Aquolina was coming out with a scent for men called Blue Sugar. Has anyone else heard of this? I had Pink Sugar once and it was WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY to sweet for me. I got sick, my eyes would water, and i would cough everytime i wore it.
    Awesomeguy

Default Re: Aquolina "Blue Sugar"

No haven't heard of this. Would be interesting what the 'blue' would stand for. The pink sugar most definitely stands for pink cotton candy. Same sticky, cloying mad mad mad sweetness. It would be good if the blue was some absinthe based theme like Douce Amere from Serge Lutens. Let's see...
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

This does NOT sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3 View Post
    I just read on makeupalley that Aquolina was coming out with a scent for men called Blue Sugar. Has anyone else heard of this? I had Pink Sugar once and it was WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY to sweet for me. I got sick, my eyes would water, and i would cough everytime i wore it.
    I bought a bottle of this and its just like being at the fair, the candy floss store in particular. Mind you it was 4.95 of Amazon. Earlier I had purchased a very expensive fragrance that everyone was raving about Acqua e Zucchero for 135. Its strange I thought you attach a high price to somthing and its becomes ecsoteric and coveted. Exactly the same smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow! What a blast from the past! I like these old OPs, Euros were still being broken in and the Emerald Isle was the Celtic Tiger!
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
    This does NOT sound good.
    Agree

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree
    Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it! I really like this one and find it quite similar to New Haarlem, to the point where an inexperienced nose might even say that they were the same scent! And consindering I bought this for just a shade under 5 and NH for 140 (after Postage) I'd say it's pretty good!
    Last edited by ahep2007; 27th August 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahep2007 View Post
    Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it! I really like this one and find it quite similar to New Haarlem, to the point where an inexperienced nose might even say that they were the same scent! And consindering I bought this for just a shade inder 5 and NH for 140 (after Postage) I'd say it's pretty good!
    I wore each of these around my significant other recently, who has a decently experienced nose, and they found them fairly similar. They slightly preferred NH at the outset, but about an hour into the wearing they dried down into rough analogues of each other. I prefer NH as well, but don't wear gourmands enough to justify the higher price tag a full bottle of it would demand.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    I wore each of these around my significant other recently, who has a decently experienced nose, and they found them fairly similar. They slightly preferred NH at the outset, but about an hour into the wearing they dried down into rough analogues of each other. I prefer NH as well, but don't wear gourmands enough to justify the higher price tag a full bottle of it would demand.
    I rest my case! In fact, when I've used my 100ml NH (probably in about four years!) I shall just use Blue Sugar instead!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ahep2007 View Post
    I rest my case! In fact, when I've used my 100ml NH (probably in about four years!) I shall just use Blue Sugar instead!
    Are you serious?? Blue Sugar is cloying and sickeningly sweet with zero subtlety to the fragrance! Honestly, I am not trying to bash anyone's opinion but it is not even close to being similar.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    Are you serious?? Blue Sugar is cloying and sickeningly sweet with zero subtlety to the fragrance! Honestly, I am not trying to bash anyone's opinion but it is not even close to being similar.
    Sorry, but that's my opinion. I did say that to a less experienced nose they would be perceived as being very similar. Also, in an other thread I have noted that whilst NH is obviously higher quality, Blue Sugar is a very close second. Sure, NH is richer, but Blue Sugar is a close second! In fact, MJM, as a bit of a fragrance snob, I was expecting to hate the 5 Aquloina offering, but I like it! And in a side by side test, these two definitely come from the same family and share the same attributes!

Obviously someone who spends a lot of time with fragrances can tell the difference, especially if you have worn each. However, most people haven't had the benefit of wearing each, and thus haven't experienced the progression and dry down of each fragrance. For most people, who are only operating with one or two sniffs, there isn't a vast gulf between the two fragrances.

It's like hearing two cars pass by blasting a similar genre of music: given only a couple seconds to hear each they seem quite similar. But to the people driving those cars the artists are dissimilar and easily discernible.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Obviously someone who spends a lot of time with fragrances can tell the difference, especially if you have worn each. However, most people haven't had the benefit of wearing each, and thus haven't experienced the progression and dry down of each fragrance. For most people, who are only operating with one or two sniffs, there isn't a vast gulf between the two fragrances.

It's like hearing two cars pass by blasting a similar genre of music: given only a couple seconds to hear each they seem quite similar. But to the people driving those cars the artists are dissimilar and easily discernible.
    Nice analogy/similie. Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just buy Rochas Man as it's always compared to New Haarlem and better quality then Blue Sugar. I have a bottle of NH, but it's only cold enough to wear it 1 month or maybe 2 in Florida. I agree with you guys that unless your really a gourmand fan and live in an environment that has average to long winters it's really not worth the extra money for it to just sit.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Why not just buy Rochas Man as it's always compared to New Haarlem and better quality then Blue Sugar. I have a bottle of NH, but it's only cold enough to wear it 1 month or maybe 2 in Florida. I agree with you guys that unless your really a gourmand fan and live in an environment that has average to long winters it's really not worth the extra money for it to just sit.
    If you look at my wardrobe, you'll see that I have NH, Blue Sugar, Rochas Man and Rochas Man Intense. Money really isn't an issue for me, but I still say that Blue Sugar is the closest fragrance I have encountered to NH. I don't have a problem dropping 200-300 for a fragrance but I'll happily use one that's much cheaper if I feel it is a good scent in it's own right. Also, Blue Sugar projects much more than RM on my skin.

The reason I don't get Rochas Man or Play Intense is because they, along with most gourmands, quickly turn nasty and sour on my skin. They may be of higher quality, but smell utterly awful on me. I genuinely like Blue Sugar and New Haarlem, and given that I would only wear either fragrance a few times a year it isn't worth the large price difference for the marginal increase in quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Im also a fan of Blue Sugar & wear it quite often in cooler months. I bought it and A-Men at the same time when I was just getting into fragrances a few years ago and was searching for gourmands. I preferred the $20 bottle of Blue Sugar over the $80 bottle of A-Men, and honestly, I still do today as well.

I certainly have went on to buy much more expensive scents, but I still find Blue Sugar to be one of my favorite gourmands, and a great buy.

any updates on this, is blue sugar really the closest to NH?!?

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

some said no and a few said yes

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

how would you guys rank blue sugar with hanae mori, rochas man, amen, new haarlem?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I too enjoy Blue Sugar - way too strong for summer but in winter and autumn its just great.
    Very similar to A*Men but not in the same class unfortunately.
    Nice little cheapie to add to your collection esp if you are a gourmand lover.
    Nice projection and longevity as well.

I also like Blue Sugar a lot, it really is a nice gourmand. Only smelt NH once but I don't find them similar from what I remember.