Code of Conduct

Default Eau des Merveilles - Pronounciation help!

Just won a bottle of eBay UK for a BARGAIN £13:50 100ml tester!

But I can't work out how to pronounce it properly!

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Col

Default Re: Eau des Merveilles - Pronounciation help!

That would be (more or less) something like: o-de-mervey... (the "de" pronounced as in "demonstrate&quot

« L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    That would be (more or less) something like: o-de-mervey... (the "de" pronounced as in "demonstrate&quot
    I thought it was mervey too, but looking at the spelling I assumed it would be Mervey-ley.

I dunno!

Can't find an answer on google either

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=Sandalwood link=1124486148/0#1 date=1124487544]That would be (more or less) something like: o-de-mervey... (the "de" pronounced as in "demonstrate&quot
    I thought it was mervey too, but looking at the spelling I assumed it would be Mervey-ley.

I dunno!

Can't find an answer on google either[/quote]

The "es" at the end of that word is not pronounced.

Here's the transcription from the Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: mer·veille
    Pronunciation: mer-vey
    Usage: foreign term
    Etymology: French
    : marvel

I hope this serves.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I would assume it's Mervey as well. Like Versailles.

~Silk

(except with an e, instead of an a, of course)

A good guide might be the 'eilles' in Marseilles, but hey who cares how you sound as long as you smell good

Thanks everyone!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Isn't there some website where you can type in the word / phrase you want to hear, then the language and it will play an audio of it?

I used to have it bookmarked, but don't have all my old bookmarks on this new computer. I think it was originally posted by someone here on BN. Guess I need to search the archives, it was really quite a useful site.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    Isn't there some website where you can type in the word / phrase you want to hear, then the language and it will play an audio of it?

I used to have it bookmarked, but don't have all my old bookmarks on this new computer. I think it was originally posted by someone here on BN. Guess I need to search the archives, it was really quite a useful site.
    Yes I had the bookmark too but they have taken away that function from the site [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=sad.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=Scentsational link=1124486148/0#8 date=1124490994]Isn't there some website where you can type in the word / phrase you want to hear, then the language and it will play an audio of it?

Yes I had the bookmark too but they have taken away that function from the site [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=sad.gif][/quote]
    here it is:

a bit like mervay.

http://www.scansoft.com/speechworks/realspeak/demo/

The "de" is pronounced "des" ("day&quot, not "de" like "deranged".

It would be o-day-mair-vay-elle. (the ELLE is pronounced very quietly, and from the throat - but not quite silent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes
    [quote author=CoL link=1124486148/0#9 date=1124491510][quote author=Scentsational link=1124486148/0#8 date=1124490994]Isn't there some website where you can type in the word / phrase you want to hear, then the language and it will play an audio of it?

Yes I had the bookmark too but they have taken away that function from the site [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=sad.gif][/quote]
    here it is:

a bit like mervay.

http://www.scansoft.com/speechworks/realspeak/demo/[/quote]
    COOL! ITS WORKING AGAIN! CHEERS NOTESY! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]