Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Major creed lot available on ebay

I bid 3 times on this & then it got too rich for my blood...& the reserve still isn't met! But it's a lot of 7 4oz bottles. Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-7-bottles...QQcmdZViewItem
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Major creed lot available on ebay

Very cool but there is a mistake in there. The vetiver is Original Vetiver if it truly is the 4oz. bottle. Vetiver 1948,(the truly "original" Creed Vetiver) is an EdT and only available in the 2.5oz. bottle. The picture they show is the new Original Vetiver and again, if it is a 4oz. bottle as they claim, then it is Original Vetiver.
    I gotta wonder what the reserve is.....?

Lastly, CJ, if you like OV, do check out the 1948 Vetiver from Creed. Quite different than OV. Ginger, cedar, very smooth and not too heavy on the vetiver. Highly recommended.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanx for the suggestion, Eric. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at Hall's. And yeah, I'm assuming the seller is meaning OV.

I detest auctions with a hidden reserve!
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I detest auctions with a hidden reserve!
    Me too!!!! It makes no sense to me @ all. Why not just put the "reserve" price as the starting bid????

I never buy anything off e-bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ebay totally rocks as long as you check the seller's feedback & make sure they offer insurance before you place a bid.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    [quote author=dcampen link=1123874836/0#3 date=1123889297]I detest auctions with a hidden reserve!
    Me too!!!! It makes no sense to me @ all. Why not just put the "reserve" price as the starting bid????[/quote]

Because if the starting bid is too high, even if it is in the ball park of the actual known market value price, people tend not to bid.

It's a fact of human nature (supported by the data I might add).

Bidders in an auction format will only tend to join the game if the bidding starts at a price that is at least substantially lower than the generally accepted current market value for that item. By placing a reserve, on the item and putting a low starting bid, the seller can make the listing enticing to bidders and still protect her investment, so to speak. And getting people to commit to a bid is crucial since another interesting bit of human nature is that once someone puts a bid in on an item, they often feel they have achieved ownership of said item, well in advance of the actual determining moment, that is, the auction's closing.

And once a bidder starts to feel that faux sense of ownership, they tend to rebid when outbid which often results in a bidding war which usually means that rational pricing flies out the window as two or more bidders battle it out.

So, although there are some that don't like the idea of a reserve, the figures show they work much better than a high starting bid.

BTW, it's no secret that I work for eBay but I also am an avid buyer and seller. I buy something on eBay nearly every day (check my feedback - uncle_griff ) and granted I am a fairly savvy buyer but I have never had an issue or problem in the nearly ten years I have been trading on the site. I have three houses full of treasure I found on eBay.

It simply does not make sense for anyone who is serious about collecting or even shopping to not use eBay. The selection and pricing are unequaled plus, it's a lot of fun (you meet the nicest people on eBay) but in reality, I don't mind that there are those who don't or won't use it. That's one less competitor for the great stuff.

Griff

Griff

I bet the reserve is somewhere between $300-$500!!! I can only afford decants of this stuff!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The highest bid on this was for $415 & the reserve hadn't even been met!

Bidders in an auction format will only tend to join the game if the bidding starts at a price that is at least substantially lower than the generally accepted current market value for that item. By placing a reserve, on the item and putting a low starting bid, the seller can make the listing enticing to bidders and still protect her investment, so to speak. And getting people to commit to a bid is crucial since another interesting bit of human nature is that once someone puts a bid in on an item, they often feel they have achieved ownership of said item, well in advance of the actual determining moment, that is, the auction's closing.

And once a bidder starts to feel that faux sense of ownership, they tend to rebid when outbid which often results in a bidding war which usually means that rational pricing flies out the window as two or more bidders battle it out.
    I agree and that is why I detest hidden reserves. If I am bidding on something it is to make a purchase not play a game. If there is something on Ebay that I want I will wait until seconds before the end of the auction and then place a single bid.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

There's always the option to ask the seller directly what the reserve is. I have done this from both perspective of purchaser and seller.

Shameless Plug:

There is an interview with Griff on buying fragrances on eBay here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/int-unclegriff.html

End of Shameless Plug.