Code of Conduct

Default What the heck is Arabian Oud?

My fragrance happy finger is itching to buy some Montale stuff. However, I can't get around Arabian Oud. Isnt this just agarwood (M7)? Or is this something else. Also, I thought agarwood was a southeast asia thing, what is the arabian prefix mean?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Default Re: What the heck is Arabian Oud?

Its indigenous to both Southeast asia and middle east. Although over harvesting has made it endangered.

LIGNUM ALOES also known as aloes wood, agar wood agarci wood, eagle wood, oud, ud etc.
    This is sweet perfumed wood from the Aquilla tree, which is native to India and surrounding areas. One of the most ancient and traditional incense woods, celebrated in biblical texts (ie the Song of Solomon) simply as "Aloes". The unique aroma is due to a fungal infection of the heartwood, which causes the tree to secrete an aromatic protective resin. The Japanese have identified six grades of this wood, as it changes with age and degree of infection. The top grade (old wood, where practically everything has decayed except the infected part) is very rare, and very, very expensive. Moreover, to confuse matters, the lower grades smell totally different to the top ones.
    Because of its value Aloes wood is frequently faked by adding synthetic oils to a common wood -then sealing them in with a neutral gum or resin.
    Not to be confused with Aloes Resin!

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Buffalo Gal, I'm impressed. Next time I have a scent question, I know who to ask!

Very informative. [smiley=beer.gif]

JAG

Thanks Buffalo Gal and dcampen. Looks like I have to go blind on Montale ...
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Thanks Buffalo Gal and dcampen. Looks like I have to go blind on Montale ...
    Sentient. You don't have to go completely blind. There are several members who can offer Montale advice.

For my part I would suggest:

Montale Vetiver des Sables - the presentation of oudh in this scent most resembles M7 and might be a good starting point.

Montale Oudh Cuir d'Arabie - mixes oudh with leather for a very dark and mysterious combination.

Montale Oudh Amber - another very good blend.

Others in the Montale Oudh line are very good but may be a bit "foreign" to western senses. Royal Oudh is one that definitely benefits from experience and scent "education".

Don't hesitate to try them. I have liked all that I have tried but have found some easier to like on initial wearing.

Actually what the heck is Arabian Oud. Oud/Agarwood doesn't even grow in Arabia..

Quote Originally Posted by Man_from_Shalimar View Post
    Actually what the heck is Arabian Oud. Oud/Agarwood doesn't even grow in Arabia..
    *arrested by fact police*
    Last edited by joey86; 5th April 2010 at 08:10 AM.

I meant it in a sarcastic way. Oud = Agarwood (oil)

The only ancient source for Oud for the Arabs used to be India. They seem to prefer Indian oils over the Southeast Asian ones aswell.
    There is no Oud growing in Japan.

There also is no Arabian oud. They import it mostly from India (preferred) and Cambodia (cheaper)

Arabian Oud is the name of a Saudi Arabia based company specializing in oud wood, incense, and oil based perfumes, many of which contain oud oil. Here are links to their websites. Bear in mind that these websites are generally ignored by the company, and that the product information is usually out of date. The UK website may be more current than the other one.

http://www.arabianoud.com/en02/default.asp (English version of Saudi site)

http://www.arabianoud.co.uk/flash.php (UK site)

As far as I know there is no separate type of oud known as Arabian oud. But it has traditionally been so popular in the region, which is closer to Europe than the Far East, that many people associate the use of oud with Arabia. Oud itself comes from India, Bangladesh, Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, and other places in SE Asia, including some of the island nations.

In the Arabian peninsula, ouds from India are generally the highest regarded, followed by those from Cambodia. I don't know why this is, if it is just a regional preference based on the way these ouds smell, or because they have been easiest to get. Some oils are available as unblended products from a particular region, but most companies offer their own blends of various oils as well as mukhallets, or mixtures with various other ingredients such as amber, patchouly, saffron, labdanum, etc.

Good luck in your oud investigations!

noggs

I do know that malaysian oudh has been known to be one of the best and rarest. sadly its as elusive and its been banned as the agarwood tree here is near extinction.

there is agarwood in china, and thats where the japs got theirs which they store in temples for a few thousand years, using shavings occasionally for important ceremonies.

This is very unlikely as the Chinese knew of Agarwood only in the 3rd century. The most ancient source has been the Assam region in Northeast India.

This is very unlikely as the Chinese knew of Agarwood only in the 3rd century. The most ancient source has been the Assam region in Northeast India.
    *arrested by the fact police*
    Last edited by joey86; 5th April 2010 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    In the Arabian peninsula, ouds from India are generally the highest regarded, followed by those from Cambodia. I don't know why this is, if it is just a regional preference based on the way these ouds smell, or because they have been easiest to get.
    This because of the tradition because they have been importing Indian Agarwood and the oil even before Islamic times. Also the aged Indian varieties are the most expensive I suppose. Sheikhs love expensive stuff.
    I'm not sure if the Thaqeel is a Hindi though, I don't think so. But the Kala Kash is a very expensive aged Hindi that I would love to try once.
    Last edited by Man_from_Shalimar; 5th April 2010 at 05:10 AM.

This because of the tradition because they have been importing Indian Agarwoodand the oil even before Islamic times. Also the aged Indian varieties are the most expensive I suppose. Sheikhs love expensive stuff.
    I'm not sure if the Thaqeel is a Hindi though, I don't think so. But the Kala Kash is a very expensive aged Hindi that I would love to try once.
    so do I but im not rich lol.

agarwood oil here in msia is also used to make love potions.....mmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    Okay but Japan did not appear before the 5th century if i am not mistaken.

so we get it india is the source of agarwood..i'm not challenging that fact. you can back down now
    What do you mean?
    I'm trying to explain where it's from and added some history, you don't seem to understand.

so do I but im not rich lol.

agarwood oil here in msia is also used to make love potions.....mmmmmmmmm
    I'd rather have chicken Satay with peanut sauce then eat agarwood.

Dependent

Edited: Moved to PMs.
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th April 2010 at 03:43 PM.

Okay but Japan did not appear before the 5th century if i am not mistaken.
    Well you are mistaken. I shall not go into details but a quick search will show that Japan did exist before the 5th Century and further. But if u are certain about your facts please let us know your sources. If I am Japanese I would be rather insulted by your statement.

BTW, 5th Century BC or AD ?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 5th April 2010 at 07:03 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

moved to PMs
    Last edited by joey86; 5th April 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Japan appears in first written records in 57. AD Of course culture existed long before that. What we know and consider Japan more or less came to be around 8th century AD
    Last edited by Zgb; 5th April 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Dependent

Edited: Moved to PMs.
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th April 2010 at 03:43 PM.