Code of Conduct

Default Question about a certain bad note

Hello,
    First message. Started wearing fragrances about two years ago and this forum has been immensely helpful. I have a question I was hoping someone might answer. I have tried some fragrances that have a similar repulsive quality to them. In looking at the pyramid construction of notes I can't quite isolate what's going on here. The fragrances are:

Carolina Herrera for Men
    Platinum Egoiste - Chanel
    A*Men - Mugler (mainly the drydown after the intense chocolate mellows)

I thought maybe I just don't like that Olfactory Group as Osmoz lists Herrera for Men and Platunim Egoiste as Woody / Floral Musk. But that group also contains L'Anarchiste and Grey Flannel which I like and don't get that repulsive note from. I can't quite describe the offensive note, I just know that it pervades the above mentioned fragrances. Maybe like a rotting garlic clove or mildewy leather. My favorites so far are L'Anarchiste, Phylosykos, ADP's Cipresso di Toscano and Givenchy Greenenergy. Another one that blew my mind but I didn't think I could pull off is Bois Farine. I think I like unique and strange fragrances as I can't tell you how many I've tried that I instantly judge to be boring. Maybe I'm rushing my judgements but I figure if it can't make an immediate impression then I'll move on. Thanks

Default Re: Question about a certain bad note

Platinum Egoiste - Aldehydes
    A*Men - Tar

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Platinum Egoiste - Aldehydes
    A*Men - Tar

I'd say the Patchouli is more dominant than the Tar.... I also don't think of PE as a Aldehyde dominated fragrance. Anyone want to correct me here?

What does the repulsive note smell like? Can you describe it a bit? What is repulsive about it?

While I don't necessarily think the aldehydes dominate in Platinum they are certainly strong enough to eliminate this as a choice if you don't relish them. Probably the most aldehyde of Chanel men's selections and the reason I ended up with it. Getting bored with it now though.

Agree that the patchouli is a lot more apparent than tar in A*Men and the coupling of patchouli with any sweet heavy base drives me away. Far away. The trust fund neo-hippies of Hawthorne Blvd reeking of BO and patchouli oil have made this note one for me to avoid. I never relished being served espresso or pizza by a white kid in filthy looking dreads stinking of patchouli. Enough to make you go punk skinhead.

Hmm... hard to say I would say the suspects are (in decreasing order)

1. Vetiver
    2. Clove
    3. Labdunum
    4. Musk

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

It's difficult to source out a bad note when everyone has different "hates and likes"! I do find the tar note in A*Men interesting but I can also see why some people are repelled by it.

Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    The trust fund neo-hippies of Hawthorne Blvd reeking of BO and patchouli oil have made this note one for me to avoid. I never relished being served espresso or pizza by a white kid in filthy looking dreads stinking of patchouli. Enough to make you go punk skinhead.
    Yeah, I think that is generally my feeling with patchouli, I really don't like it straight-up, and it really reminds me of hippie-type stores and the ilk. Such is my prejudice.

At the same time, it is interesting to note that some of the "respect my authorita!!!" *[smiley=grin.gif] frags I have use patchouli as a base: Heritage and the recently acquired Boss No. 1 come to mind.

Patchouli is a dichotomy.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    [quote author=Xen link=1124263582/0#1 date=1124264412]Platinum Egoiste - Aldehydes
    A*Men - Tar

I'd say the Patchouli is more dominant than the Tar.... I also don't think of PE as a Aldehyde dominated fragrance. Anyone want to correct me here?

What does the repulsive note smell like? Can you describe it a bit? What is repulsive about it? [/quote]

Well, it's a sharp, bitter but pungeant smell. It's all over the three listed fragrances. It may be a note or it may be a carrier or something in the formulation. I hope I am making sense, but if not it won't be the first time [smiley=cheesy.gif]. I'm surprised nobody knows what I'm referring to because the second I smelled these I had to turn my head and I thought "oh no, it's that smell". Of the three I'd say Herrera has it the strongest.

Well, it's a sharp, bitter but pungeant smell.
    That fits vetiver though I only see vetiver listed in Platinum Egoiste.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.