Code of Conduct
    deco

Default My honest question

I want to dare to ask men. Please don't laugh at me but I honestly want to hear rather men's opinion. Because half of the human are men on this planet, so usually I don't want to wear a perfume which is hated by men.

Well, I tried Shalimar parfum recently, then I'm stuck on it. Do you think Shalimar reminds you of your nanny? And do you think this perfume is too too common?

I'm fond of Oriental scents anyway. Please give me some recommendations if you know other fabulous ones.

Default Re: My honest question

Hello there. I really like Shalimar for women. While I don't wear the men's version, my girlfriend wears Shalimar and I think it smells sweet and not offending. Maybe it's just me but I don't see how people can call this a "granny" scent.

tobydear

Hi,

Is there a men's version of Shalimar????

And it is NOT a granny's scent. On the contrary, it is very elegant "oriental" fragrance, and if you like it, wear it. I picture it on an elegant woman, probably not too young, sure of herself, and perhaps slightly "oriental"-looking herself. To a blond, sporty woman I'd rather recommend something fresher like Chanel No.19.

But I'd always choose a "classic" scent, not something that will have disappeared from the shelves in 6 months.

Td

Top Notes
    Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon Caron pour un homme is kind of like a mans
    version of Shalimar in my opinion...a very comforting scent.

Middle Notes
    Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood

Base Notes
    Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to feminine fragrances. Having said that, I certainly do not think "nanny" when sniffing Shalimar. This fragrance certainly does exude elegance, confidence, and classiness.

My favorite women's fragrance, which is also a classic, is Tabac Blond. So of course I offer that as my recommendation.

Good luck and best regards,

#

When I think of Shalimar, I think of a Mature Women with taste and class. This is not a Teeny Bop scent. This is a classic scent. That vanilla always gets me for sure. When reading the notes in this fragrance....I just know that this is a wonderful scent.
    I think this should be a rule here at basenotes. If you like the fragrance...Wear and enjoy the fragrance. Simple rule if you think about it for a while.
    Gary

Definitely a nanny scent. It is a great scent, however its massive popularity amongst a certain demography means the association cannot be broken.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

It is my favorite lady's scent and is suitable for any woman, regardless of age.

To me, there is no such thing as a "old" person's scent. You read this kind of thing among fragrance buffs, but I really don't think that members of the general public would even know what this means. The only way non-fragrance buffs would associate a scent with older people would be if they remember someone older wearing it. Except for something like Old Spice (I'm not knocking it, I love it), they wouldn't know a 1920's fragrance from a 2005 fragrance, and nor do I think they would care. Nor would they care to notice the ages of people wearing any fragrance.

My belief is that a man should wear any man's fragrance that he likes and a woman should wear any woman's fragrance that she likes.

One thing that I cannot understand is how a guy would avoid a men's fragrance so as to not be considered "old", but then not care that he smells like a woman by wearing a woman's fragrance, and vice versa (since ingredients in a man's fragrance are made to attract women and ingredients in a *woman's fragrance are meant to attract men). .

I would suggest that you try Must de Cartier. It is a very nice and elegant oriental.
    (In fact, twice did I recommend it today)
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

deco

Nice to meet you everybody. Thank you so much for your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Definitely a nanny scent. It is a great scent, however its massive popularity amongst a certain demography means the association cannot be broken.
    It's the other problem I'm considering. I heard Shalimar is too recognizable. Further since it is very popular, I'd thought it corny.
    Shalimar is a great as you say. But always I'm in a dilemma when I consider about Shalimar.

Shalimar is sexy to me. Nobody in my country wears it though...

I sniffed it the other day after reading all of the praise on this board and on Luca Turin's blog. My first thought was "old lady." Likewise Samsara, though I found that more pleasant. But I also put Creed's Tuberose here as well, and Creed's OV was the counterpart "old man."

I think that with these classic 20th century frags (as with any) that you'll get a split audience - men who love it, men who don't. If you like Shalimar, I imagine you'd prefer the company of men who share your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by volpe
    Nice to meet you everybody. Thank you so much for your kind words!

[quote author=sentient link=1124204844/0#6 date=1124222374]Definitely a nanny scent. It is a great scent, however its massive popularity amongst a certain demography means the association cannot be broken.
    It's the other problem I'm considering. I heard Shalimar is too recognizable. Further since it is very popular, I'd thought it corny.
    Shalimar is a great as you say. But always I'm in a dilemma when I consider about Shalimar.
    [/quote]

It's very popular since its very classy and smells great. You can't go wrong with that combination!

Shalimar is great. It verges towards nannyism but perfumes change according to body chemistry and attitude so if it fits you keep it. Have you tried Opium (pour Femme!)? Its a much more modern oriental and just as recognizable as Shalimar.

Alas, I must confess that I associate Shalimar with older women. That said, it smells wonderful, and if you like it, then to hell with other people's opinions.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

deco

I'm really glad to hearing your opinions and kind recommendations.
    Tabac Blond is a bit frail on my skin. Haven't tried Must de Cartier, but sounds very nice. Opium is one of my fave, though I have to try the parfum maybe.

"to hell with other people's opinions" *....Cheers!

Thanks million!