Code of Conduct

Default My tastes are really changing.

I can't stand "cologne" anymore. I hope that makes sense. Anything that smells remotely department store-esque just irritates me now. I'm wearing Gap Blue No. 655 now and I think I'm going to have to go wash it off. I was around a guy last night wearing AdG and I thought I was going to barf. They're just so strong and if you really think about it, I don't know why anybody would want to wear something that smells like this every day for the rest of their lives like so many people do.

I'm on a new search for the unusual. Right now my favorite is MPG Baime. I think I'm going to order some samples of Passage d'Enfer and Jardin du Nil. Maybe Eau des Iles and Grain de Plaisir, too.

I have this new urge to escape the mundane and enter the (expensive... ) world of niche fragrances.

I don't think I can go another day wearing "cologne".

At least for a while.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: My tastes are really changing.

Ren- At times I can empathize with your plight. Although MPG fragrances IMHO can be a bit "strong". L'Artisan, Patricia de Nicolai, Santa Maria Novella and Diptyque make some interesting high quality juice you might try, if you haven't already. BTW- Jardin du Nil is quite different and definitely not for the masses!

I would also like to add ... be prepared for your tastes to change, yet again, when you start sampling and using "high end" or "niche" fragrances. My list is endless of the fragrances I've bought from houses or high end designers ... that I originally thought were fantastic, only to grow to dislike them after an extended period of use. Two, off the top of my head, are MI and Amouage Silver. Unfortunatley, the only way to find this out IS to use one for an extended period of time.

I agree 100% with you about that "cologne" smell. I've found there are a ridiculous amount of scents, mostly at dept. stores, that all have that "too much cologne guy" smell. And they're all alike.

But if you're on the search for "unusual", I would sample (and I did say SAMPLE) L'Artisan Dzing, SMN Nostalgia, and LV Piper Nigrum.

Good Luck ... I hope you have a healty bank account! [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Its funny, I was gonna post to say how much I really don't think I like cologne much anymore myself these days.

This past week, I have had to smell SO much cologne on other people, it just really annoyed the living $hit out of me. I smelled guys wearing D&G PH, and Le Male, two scents I used to love, and they made me nauseous. I was like, "how sad are these guys, no one around them can breathe, and they are driving people away!" And then there were the guys who were wearing really CHEAP cologne, and it was so bad I thought I was gonna smell like them if I stood to close, for too long.

So its like this. I am still really into frags and still wear them, collect them, and like to talk about them. But the whole "cologne-ish" vibe of most of them is just something I'd rather not project. Not many people wear alot of scent and when I encounter a person who is radiating too much cologne it makes my judgement of them unfavorable. It may be hypocritical yes, but I always remember that most times I don't want to SMELL EVERY PERSON WITHIN A SIX FOOT RADIUS. Usually I just wear enough fragrance to smell good to those who get very close. I do cut lose and wear a good amount when I am at a club or at a wedding or something. But really I tend to think people are trying too hard when I smell their cologne and it is something obvious like Le Male, or they're wearing something that is just all wrong for them. Its odd but the more into this hobby I get, the less actual cologne I wear at a time. I'd rather just admire my stuff when I'm at home, because most of it just doesn't suit me to wear it out. I just know that I rarely smell some guy's cologne and think, "hey, I want to stand closer to that dude". usually its the opposite. I'm sure alot of it has to do with the amount, but mostly I think more people should wear scent- just less of it, and not always obvious stuff.

So next time I get drunk and douse myself with Kouros at a club, remember to call me a hypocrite if you see me! [smiley=wink.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    I would also like to add ... be prepared for your tastes to change, yet again, when you start sampling and using "high end" or "niche" fragrances. My list is endless of the fragrances I've bought from houses or high end designers ... that I originally thought were fantastic, only to grow to dislike them after an extended period of use. Two, off the top of my head, are MI and Amouage Silver. Unfortunatley, the only way to find this out IS to use one for an extended period of time.

I agree 100% with you about that "cologne" smell. I've found there are a ridiculous amount of scents, mostly at dept. stores, that all have that "too much cologne guy" smell. And they're all alike.

But if you're on the search for "unusual", I would sample (and I did say SAMPLE) L'Artisan Dzing, SMN Nostalgia, and LV Piper Nigrum.

Good Luck ... I hope you have a healty bank account! [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Oh yeah. I know they will. My stye is in a constant revolving door. There are times when I actually don't want to stand out and I will just wear Sung Paradise or something like that. And there are times when I get high off Clinique Happy, and there are times where all I can wear is pure tea tree oil or cinnamon and clove. And sometimes I want woody so I wear pure sandalwood over and over, and sometimes I want sweet and light so I wear SMW or MI. And sometimes I want green so I wear OV for a week..

This is an expensive hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    Ren- At times I can empathize with your plight. Although MPG fragrances IMHO can be a bit "strong". L'Artisan, Patricia de Nicolai, Santa Maria Novella and Diptyque make some interesting high quality juice you might try, if you haven't already. BTW- Jardin du Nil is quite different and definitely not for the masses!

In a good or bad way??

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    I just know that I rarely smell some guy's cologne and think, "hey, I want to stand closer to that dude". usually its the opposite. I'm sure alot of it has to do with the amount, but mostly I think more people should wear scent- just less of it, and not always obvious stuff. [smiley=wink.gif]
    YES! Perhaps AdG would be a PLEASANT fragrance if worn in a moderate amount!! With the amount some people project, I can just imagine them at home just spraying and spraying and spraying and spraying..................

Basenotes Plus

Ren- I assume you are asking me to clarify my statement regarding Jardin. It is a sharp, potent, quality fragrance that is not my cup of tea, however I know several guys who love it.

Yvan

Ren, you mentioned that sometimes you wear cinnamon and clove. As a clove fan myself, I'm curious...what scent do you wear that has clove in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    Ren, you mentioned that sometimes you wear cinnamon and clove. *As a clove fan myself, I'm curious...what scent do you wear that has clove in it? *
    My apologies for butting in uninvited. *I think Ren is referring to oils, but if you want a frag that has LOTS (and I mean LOOOOTS) of cinnamon and clove, try Jacomo de Jacomo! *On my skin, it's cinnamon and clove with woodsy undertones! *Try it...it's certainly priced right if you decide you like it! *

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACOMO-de-JACOMO...QQcmdZViewItem

Ren, you mentioned that sometimes you wear cinnamon and clove. *As a clove fan myself, I'm curious...what scent do you wear that has clove in it? *
    If you want clove and pepper try Caron Poivre parfum
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Welcome to the club. I too, went through this quite sometime ago. I new there had to be better in the world as I was getting tired and unsatisfied with mall offereings so I got on the net and my curiosity climaxed. I started ordering samples; I went crazy, started purchasing, even blindly. I would order tons from sephora and wind up sending them all back because they sucked. I finally started to discover creed, then I discovered basenotes which lead to my discovery of comme des garcons, MPG, Frederic Malle, L'Artisan, etc. The "niche" is the only thing to calm the beat wthin me and give me total satisfaction. I cannot stand dept. stores in the mall and what they offer. I want to send most of what is in a macy's, dillards, etc etc, to hell. It grows increasingly difficult to find what I call a quality fragrance due to my expereince with fine fragrances. I still, and will always adore creed.

You are definitely not alone around here. It was my disdain for the "cologne" genre that spurred me to find basenotes. The cost alone of niche was sufficient to dissuade me for a while still thinking I'd find alternatives cheaply. A costly error. I've sold dozens and lost hundreds; still have dozens to go.

It pays to get selective early!

I cannot wear classics, synthetics, gourmands, Calvins, Ralphs, Tommys, Diors, Armanis, etc, etc, etc, etc....no Mugler for me, Kenzo has to go too. Life is too short to wear stuff you don't really like.

There are many niche frags I don't want to wear too, but the ones I like, I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    I have this new urge to escape the mundane and enter the (expensive... ) world of niche fragrances.

I don't think I can go another day wearing "cologne".

At least for a while.
    If I may wear my patronizing clothes, let me say that what you really want is assess things for what they are and not what their pricetag is. Have somebody send you blind samples and see what you really like.

All the rest is Hollywood.
    [smiley=cool.gif]

Ren, you mentioned that sometimes you wear cinnamon and clove. As a clove fan myself, I'm curious...what scent do you wear that has clove in it?
    I've had the best luck with the "singular note" oils at the Aveda store. They have 16 or so to choose from, mostly rather common offerings such as lavender, jasmine, white musk, patchouli, sandal,etc. but they also have some delightful surprises like tea tree oil, ylang ylang, and some others I don't remember. I've made a couple oil mixes there, they're fun to play with. I spent like an hour in there last time just mixing on this sheet of paper. The SA was ready to call security on me They have some premade ones that are nice but rather conventional; the best one I purchased was a mixture I made that was cinnamon and clove with just a touch of patchouli and frankincense. Really fantastic oils for the price ($12 for a .5 or so ounce bottle, or $25 for a vial or sprayer or mixes.) The sandalwood is a very interesting one, not your typical sandalwood. She told me where it was from but I forgot. The tea tree, ylang ylang, frankincense, bergamot and cinnamon are all really really good.

Ren, it's funny to me (in a nice way!) that you like tea tree oil for its smell. The oil is the best antiseptic I know. I have used it for years. You get any cut or skin irritation or anything, you put tea tree oil on it, it heals right away. So I just think of it as medicine, and the pungent (but not unpleasant) smell as a side effect.

Delighted you're delighted. And next time you get a little boo boo, reach for the tea tree and see what I mean.