Code of Conduct

Default BEST & Exceptional Niche Fragrances

I will be in Europe in a couple of days, including Paris, and I am interested to know what your opinions are on the best of the best niche fragrances.... you know, the ones that you guys find personally the most strikingly unique and exceptional, and ones that everyone needs to experience (even if they are hard to find). Ones that are unique works of art.

I want to make a list of which fragrances are worth investigating (there are lots and lots of them) in the short time that I am in Paris. I want to make sure that I visit these fragrances, in case they are very hard to find outside a city like Paris.

Thanks a lot *[smiley=smiley.gif],
    g

Default Re: BEST & Exceptional Niche Fragrances

Go to the Shiseido boutique and try out all the Serge Lutens fragrances that aren't sold in the US, bring some back for me too
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Default Re: Help! BEST & Exceptional Niche Fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    Go to the Shiseido boutique and try out all the Serge Lutens fragrances that aren't sold in the US, bring some back for me too

Any specific ones that are very good?

If you ever find yourself in the united kingdom, please ensure that you visit Czech & Speake on Jermyn street in the picadilly area of London. No.88 is what I consider as an exceptional artisanal fragrance.

While you are on Jermyn street, Geo F Trumpers is also worth a visit, I recommend Eucris & Spanish Leather from their range.

Maybe after your have exercised your nostrils, you may want to indulge in some fine English shirts - that of Hilditch & Key, Turnbull & Asser & Harvie & Hudson...
    Let your nose be your pilot

i would try chergui,fumerie turque,cuir maresque and vetiver oriental also you could ask for a sample of the new one borneo 1834 if they have any

Quote Originally Posted by gshock
    [quote author=AZsmells link=1124255655/0#1 date=1124256173]

Any specific ones that are very good?[/quote]

Muscs Koublaï Khän falls into that "everyone should experience" category IMHO.

I'd also be sure to check out Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle.

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/mallesite_gb/index.htm will give you information on where the Paris locations are.

Quote Originally Posted by gshock
    [quote author=AZsmells link=1124255655/0#1 date=1124256173]

Any specific ones that are very good?[/quote]

Go to this website and see which ones interest you: http://www.salons-shiseido.com/anglais/pageparf.html

I like Un Bois Sepia, Chergui, Fumerie Turque also Ambre Sultan and Douce Amere which are sold in the US too. I really want to try Cuir Mauresque and all the Bois series too.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Your profile says you're in NY so I'm assuming you can easily shop in NYC if you're not actually *in* NYC. I take this to mean that trying a whole bunch of artisanal / niche frags in NYC is not difficult: Frederic Malles at Barney's, Caron on Madison, CDGs at the CDG boutique, L'Artisan, MPG, etc, at Aedes, and a variety of artisanals at Takashimaya, to name a few. I suggest focusing on the houses that are not represented in NY: Montale, Guy Delforge, Divine, Galimard, Fragonard (and of course Serge Lutens, as mentioned earlier). The Guerlain boutique does carry items which are exclusive to the boutique so that's definitely worth a smell. I think L'Artisan is located on a street called Passage d'Enfer so if only for the name of the street you might want to check it out.

Someone on the board (an American in Paris, literally --- can't remember who, though) mentioned that Charvet has an in-house fragrance which you may want to check out.

Since you'll be in Paris, I strongly recommend visiting the D'Orsay boutique, and trying Le Dandy and Chevalier d'Orsay. Many of the other D'Orsay scents are also truly special.

Jeff