Code of Conduct

Default Kiehl's Musk, hello nurse!

Apologies for the Animaniacs reference, but I am giddy as a school girl after trying this. I went to Neiman Marcus in Oakbrook today to pick up some more Kiehl's hair stuff when there was a blue hair who was bitching about something to the sales staff. After sitting there for the first 5 minutes, I was looking around and decided to try Burberry Brit (not bad....I can see myself trying to swap for it, but not something that I probably would shell out what they're asking for it) and then on the other wrist saw a Cuiron looking bottle with Kiehl's musk. The bottle has an amusing ancedote about it's creation saying that it was started in 1920, discontinued, and rediscovered in 1953 in a vat entitled, "Love Oil". Being underwhelmed by the Brit, I decided to give it a go. The initial blast was very similar to the musk in the sublime Musc Ravageur and the mind blower that is Muscs Kublai Khan. It is an essential oil, and it delivers what it promises, sweet, sexy animalic musk. And is it ever fantastic. It doesn't have the monkey house note of Kublai Khan nor even the slight Tropic World Africa musk quality of Musc Ravageur and is without the cinnamon note which distictly defines Musc Ravageur. It's musk in all its glory here and I LOVE IT! When I finally got up to the counter after 20 minutes, the girl behind the counter immediately said, "wow, what are you wearing??? if you don't mind me asking." Sensing a salesploy, I told her it was the Kiehl's musk there and she said, in disbelief, "you're kidding, that stuff is awful!!" She asked to smell my wrist, and then compared it to a sample card she sprayed with it and then agreed that it was the same scent, but she said that she has actually been steering people away from it wanting return business. Score one for body chemistry. After a chuckle, I said, no I was serious and she was saying that she had smelled it on about 20 different people and it was horrible and smelled like, "a zoo". So, I said thank-you, went on my way and continued to smell my wrist getting some odd looks from the people at Bloomingdales as I bought some new sheets. This stuff is enchanting. Absolutely enchanting, a clean pure musk scent that on my skin is wearable to an amazing degree. At that point, I realized I got hooked, by another saleswoman probably and went to inquire about it's price. Asking for the 50ml bottle, I was shocked to find it was $37.50. WOW! I'm in. Plus, embarrassed by the whole shameless plug, the woman included samples of the new Guerlain, new Bvlgari, (they were out of Brit) and included over TWENTY samples of Kiehl's stuff. What a find. This is one of the better bargains on the market and an absolutely unbelievable fragrance. Musk lovers, this is a must try. Wow.

Default Re: Kiehl's Musk, hello nurse!

I was at the new Kiehl's store here in Atlanta last weekend and while waiting in line to pay for my unscented body wash, picked up one of the sample sprays. I took it home and everything Paul says, is dead on. I still want to try it head to head with SMN Musc, but its definitely on my wish list. Absolutely one of the better values available.

Great review and story.

Paul - I don't get it man, I tried it, and it smelled so close to Opium for ladies! The drydown wasn't so much Opium, but a persistant floral that just kept going and going! :

I have to throw my hat in the ring here...I love this stuff!!...Easily in my top 3 musk fragrances.

Regards,
    Steve

I have to confess to not having any idea what musk smells like in and of itself. However, I **love** Etro Musk. Does the Kiehl's bear any similarity to it? If so, I'm buying a bottle today!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Nope...Etro Musk is airy and sagey..Kiehl's has a "down home" good old-fashioned 70s musk feel...with some pathcouli and some sort of florals thrown in. The Etro is much drier and hhmm....modern?

This is really good! I bought the oil, which I prefer to the edt. Don't know why, I just love oils. They remind me of my Spiritual Sky perfume oil wearing/incense burning days!

I was at Neiman-Marcus yesterday, and the rep was showing me different stuff. She walked away and returned with a bottle that DOES look exactly like the Cuiron bottle, but with a goofy anecdote on the label, like Paul said. She said she liked the Kiehls musk alot, and sprayed some on a card. I liked it, but it reminded me strongly of something that I couldn't put my finger on. I still can't. I ended up buying a Jo Malone scent, but I kept thinking about how much I liked the Kiehl's "Love Musk" of whatever it says on the label. It is pretty old school, but I was really taken with it. I may get some of this in the future. Awesome price too.

And so it goes...I was at Nordstroms yesterday and sampled the Kiehl's Musk...I said to myself..."this smells similar to AMOUAGE GOLD" ... but I like this one. I cannot stand GOLD but with the Kiehl's...there is something missing that GOLD must have and must be the reason I don't like GOLD.

hmmmm, JMO.

I most likely will get some of this....my wife wasn't repulsed by it so....it goes on the list.

Wow! That sounds like really something!

But Kiehl's products are sadly not available in Europe. :'(
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darber muss man schreiben."

Oh, BTW...

whenever i think of the words "Kiehl's Musk", i associate it with Richard Kiehl, the giant caveman in the movie "Eegah", as skewered on MST3k. Not a pleasant image, but fortunately the scent doesn't smell like a caveman!

"Watch out for snakes"...heh-heh

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    "Watch out for snakes"...heh-heh
    Is someone talking about me?

How odd I should find this thread after finding Kiehl's Musk today at Needless Markups and thinking what a good scent this is, too. (Well, okay, the first thing I thought was, Hey, Cuiron is back!) I didn't try any one because I can't afford to buy any until the new gig starts, but this stuff really did really intrigue me. I may be breaking my new self-imposed No-More-New-Bottles-Until-I-Empty-One-I-Already-Have Rule (yeah, that rule needs a shorter title) for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent

Is someone talking about me?

nah. the "watch out for snakes" is line from the movie "Eegah", which became a running gag for mysties across the nation, I hear. The movie was really awful, and at one point, some discombobulated voice from offscreen utters, "watch out for snakes", as the actors wander out into the desert. Its priceless.

Anyway, back to the Kiehls Musk- I think I'm gonna get some. I like it and there seems to be a sudden interest in it on here. But the bottle is very close to Cuiron, although it probably predates Cuiron by a long time. The label is a bit tacky. i wouldn't leave it sitting out, unless the person who saw it could appreciate the humor in it.

Kiehls Musk...Word is getting around. Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!

My favorite Mystery Science moment was during Alien from LA (the Kathy Ireland movie) in which the immortal line, "man if I could I'd slap this movie." was uttered.

Yvan

I haven't seen Eegah!, but I always got a kick out of Kiel as Jaws in the Bond movies. He'd grab Bond's face, and it's like his hand would be as big as Roger Moore's face! (Don't forget his appearance in Happy Gilmore too!) I wonder if he's ever said, "I always wanted to do Shakespeare."

Haven't tried the Musk yet, but will when I see it...sounds good.

Well...i promised myself i wouldn't buy any more bottles for a while.
    BUT, my collection is in dire need of a musk, specially a NICE musk.
    So tomorrow...HELLO KIEHL'S!! ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Found a sample I was given right after it's release...I neglected to try it...my mistake...sampling it today - an excellent musk...

I went to Kiehl's this week to buy my girlfriend some Valentine's Day presents and they had a bottle of the musk on almost every table in the store. So, the salesperson asks me if I want any samples and I asked for the musk, of course. I already own the Pour Homme Essence (a gift) that they make and like it quite a bit. When I got home I immediately sprayed some of the musk on and I loved it, it really reminded me of Royal Copenhagen- sweet, floral, and powdery- not at all musky though, I thought the name was misleading. I sprayed a little more on and went to work. About half an hour later at work I noticed that I smelled really bad. I went home for lunch, put on some anti-perspirant (something I rarely need to use), and changed my shirt. Then I sprayed on a little more musk before going back to work. When I got there I smelled even worse than before and people started to cringe when they got close to me. I smelled like the worst smelling taxi I've ever been in. It was a long and uncomfortable day. When I went home to my girlfriend I sprayed some on her wrist and asked her what she thought of it- she also loved it at first. I told her to wait half an hour and tell me what she thought of it then. Again, the same thing on her- horrible BO stench. It did smell like musk after all! This stuff definitley does not mix with my or my girlfriend's skin chemistry. I could smell this way for free by eating lots of cumin and not bathing for a month. Anyone else have a similar experience with this or others "musk" scents?

Serpent

I posted on the ladies' board that I tested and hated the Kiehl's Original Musk after originally thinking I liked it. That was after sniffing it on cards and thinking it nice. But that test involved a very concentrated spot on my hand that ended up smelling like Lysol disinfectant, so I took the carded sample and gave it a much less concentrated full body test yesterday.

The results? Not nearly as bad as the last time - I didn't smell like the freshly mopped floor of the hospital trauma unit, thank God - but I didn't love it but any stretch. For starters, it pretty much sputtered out by lunch, lying very low and faint. I found it rather herbal and sweet, somewhat thin and brittle. The Kiehl's reminded me of a more skeletal version of Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne. The plush quality of the Lang scent - the florals, the golden vanilla and patchouli, the wood notes - are missing. Kiehl's is more economical.

To me, Kiehl's Original Musk seems a bit like Diet Helmut Lang. This isn't a bad thing. In fact, at certain times or to certain wearers, this could be a very good thing, but it didn't suit me.

I just started a thread entitled "Who Knows Kiels?" a few days ago, raving about the Musk.

I either didn't give the thread a jazzy title, or I'm unpopular, because it got few responses!

This is indeed the best musc scent I have ever smelled.

Serpent

Aw, Ballardbeau, don't feel unloved! This thread is actually much, much older is all. I actually started a Kiehl's Original Musk thread on the women's board thread, too. (Of course, that was because I thought the stuff was nasty as all get out and didn't want to offend Mr. G. :P) There have been several of these threads floating around...

ahahaha....I'm pretty sure my dog kinda likes me!

I think...

Serpent

Just don't untie that pork chop from around your neck! ;D

Yvan

I just got some Kiehl's today, and I'm really impressed...this is really good musk! *It's my first try wearing it, and my first impression is that it's plenty musky, it has "classic qualities" but doesn't seem too dated (in terms of the 70s), it isn't too heavy, it smells pretty natural, and in addition to the musk, I think I make out some floral notes, which help lighten it and give it dimension. *Some people posted that they found it like B.O. or too animalic, but I don't find it that way at all.

I weighed whether I should get the EDT or the oil, and I chose the oil. *When I got some Madini oils a while back, I found that it took them quite a while to dry on the skin, but the Kiehl's dries pretty quickly; I think it's thinner than the Madinis. *When the SA gave me a tester strip of the EDT, he said that more people are going for the EDT these days (I don't know if that was a sales ploy, since the EDT seems to cost more), and he claimed the EDT has more citrusy top notes and was more aromatic than the oil; I hadn't heard there was a difference, and maybe what he really meant to say was, the EDT brings those characteristics out more. *Kiehl's Musk certainly stands on its own as a fine scent; I'm also interested in finding out how it does to layer it with other scents that I might want a bit more musk with. *

Incidentally, as part of my "musk quest," I stopped by Caswell-Massey and picked up some of their oils: Musk, Egyptian Musk and something they call Ambergris Oil, and the ambergris smells really good! Looking forward to trying that one. *One reason why I got the musks is to try adding a few drops to essential oils and alcohol in my homemade fragrance experiment, because I've found musk really adds something to fragrances that aren't musk-based.

Hands down the best Musk Ive tried, ever. I own and love Helmut Lang, but this is more potent a tad fresher and more complex somehow to my nose. I prefer it over SMNs competent one as well. Just lovely, will buy as soon as I find it again.

MMM

Wow this thread is back from the dead!! [smiley=grin.gif]

I tried to like Kiehl's, but it went back to the store the next day. Too feminine for me.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I've smelled Kiehl's Musk since my earlier posting. I sprayed some on a card, and as my friend and I strolled along the mall, I asked him to smell it. His terse reply: "urinal cakes."
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I recently found this stuff at Marshall's on clearance for $15. It's not bad, but since I already have a small bottle of MR, I'm covered in the Evening Musk department. I still bought it, because I had a return certificate burning a hole in my wallet.

The top note is truly awful though, and I recommend blowing it off with a hairdryer. Definitely a steal at $15 though!
    Current frags (in order of preference):

1) GIT
    2) GV
    3) MR

Kiehl's Musk is my all time fave musk
    It's quite funky, but not as much as Muscs Koublai Khan, which I love, but honestly wouldn't wear in public...
    Love both, the oil and the Edt, which has amazing sillage. The oil stays closer to the skin. In fact, I must grab my bottle now and get a whiff

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    I posted on the ladies' board that I tested and hated the Kiehl's Original Musk after originally thinking I liked it. That was after sniffing it on cards and thinking it nice. But that test involved a very concentrated spot on my hand that ended up smelling like Lysol disinfectant, so I took the carded sample and gave it a much less concentrated full body test yesterday.

The results? Not nearly as bad as the last time - I didn't smell like the freshly mopped floor of the hospital trauma unit, thank God - but I didn't love it but any stretch. For starters, it pretty much sputtered out by lunch, lying very low and faint. I found it rather herbal and sweet, somewhat thin and brittle. The Kiehl's reminded me of a more skeletal version of Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne. The plush quality of the Lang scent - the florals, the golden vanilla and patchouli, the wood notes - are missing. Kiehl's is more economical.

To me, Kiehl's Original Musk seems a bit like Diet Helmut Lang. This isn't a bad thing. In fact, at certain times or to certain wearers, this could be a very good thing, but it didn't suit me.
    Now it all clicks.

On me the Kiehl's was pretty darn similar to Kouros when I tried it out. In fact, I told my wife, hey there's no point in getting this, I already have Kouros.

Anyhow, to me, Helmut Lang - Cologne is a nice soft frankincense frag, while Kouros is a little more mixed but the frankincense is still there. I'm guessing I'm picking up on the frankincense note in the Kiehls. I don't detect the musk, but then again maybe I'm blind to it (I don't detect musk in Monsieur Musk either, but I don't care if it's in that or not, that frag is a masterpiece IMHO.)
    K
    Last edited by MisterK; 14th May 2007 at 08:55 PM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Even though warmer weather approaches I've developed a craving for many of my darker, muskier frags and Kiehl's Musk is one of my favs. I love the oil layered over some Auric Blends Amber.
    Good stuff!

Basenotes Institution

Did absolutely nothing for me - I'll pass.

Smile Re: Kiehl's Musk, hello nurse!

this is the best musk ever made. It is what got me liking musk in the first place. I just bought SMN Musk and its great, but it starts off smelling like off skintastic before it dries down into its beauty. Kiehls sarts strong but satisfying from the beginning. Kiehls also after time smells like something creamy citrus and flowery, but never in my opinion feminine. Go with Kiehls first, Smn second, Lorenzo villoresi 3rd, and Royall musk 4th. All good, but different.

I am a musk aficionada. I have Kiehl's and like it, but I loooove MKK. It's my favorite, hands down. Musc Ravageur is also on my top five list, but to me it is heavy on the cinnamon and not as musky as other musk fragrances I have.

But yeah, all three are incredibly sexy! Love them!

I am dieing to try this. I had some Kiehl's Musk body wash and I really liked it, but I HAVE heard that on some people it sort of goes rancid, so I was afraid to buy it. Musk tends to go very baby powder on me and I have tried all sorts, because ever since I was a teen in the 70's I have craved being able to wear Musk and have it smell "right". Even as a teen, I couldn't wear it. I recently bought some from someone here on another board, but it hasn't arrived yet. I will let you all know what I think when it gets here.
    Hope it is as good as you all say!!
    --------------------------------------
    I do wear MR and it works but doesn't last very long for me. Story of my life. And it is expensive to have shipped here to Australia.
    Last edited by lannansidhe; 31st May 2007 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

FWIW, I just saw a **ton** of this on sale at Marshalls for around $20 a bottle.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Kiehl's Musk, hello nurse!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW, I just saw a **ton** of this on sale at Marshalls for around $20 a bottle.

"Sex Panther"? Hell, I would buy something called "Sex Panther" just to have it sitting on the shelf! Whoa!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell