Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman...

Is it "stinky"?

Like, would it offend someone?

I love patchouli, and so it would seem like I would like Gentleman...but I've heard a lot of people call it stinky and over manly, etc. Is it stinky like Kouros? Because I can't tolerate stinky like Kouros or Canoe or something like that...

Or is it not stinky at all?

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman...

I love it, and it strikes me, personally, as elegant, but...I can definitely see how others might percieve it as "stinky."

I find it quite offensive [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

I've been trying to like this one.
    Hopefully my bottle can find a more loving home!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Yvan

I agree that it's a classic. *I got compliments from some "laydayz" when I wore it about a month ago. *I do find it a bit on the formal side, and I don't find it stinky, which is a subjective term--I do find it manly, gentlemanly and refined in a manly way. But I have been wondering what it is about it that gives it what I discern as a certain stiffness. *Just for fun, here's Scent Direct's pyramid.

Top: Bergamot oil, Fruit Notes, Honey, Lemon, Rose
    Heart: Cedarwood oil, Jasmin, Orris, Patchouli, Vetiver
    Base: Amber, Leather, Moss, Musk, Vanilla

Sephora says it does have civet:

Tarragon, Cinnamon, Bergamot, Patchouli, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Rose, Carnation, Civet, Russian Leather

So, I wonder what it is that gives GG that "stiff" accord...a combination of civet, patchouli and tarragon? *At any rate, I find GG the best for CERTAIN occasions, though I usually go for something more relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    So, I wonder what it is that gives GG that "stiff" accord...a combination of civet, patchouli and tarragon? *At any rate, I find GG the best for CERTAIN occasions, though I usually go for something more relaxed.
    I have to say that I think it's the very forward patchouli.

I think if you find GG "stinky" maybe you're not giving it enough time to evolve? *It is a leetle beet... raw there at the beginning. *But once it settles into the skin (well, my skin anyway) it becomes... dreamy... *and damn near perfect. *And not "stinky" in the slightest.

Post Thanks / Like

GG reeks of pure class. That said, it definitely starts off a little strong--you gotta really wait for the drydown to appreciate this one.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I don't think it's stinky at all. But there is something I don't like about it. Sephora saying it has civet in it is probably the answer why I didn't like it.

There have been occasions where I wanted to immediately get a bath after spraying this one, and others where I think I'm hot stuff. It is the most volatile scent on me. On the whole, I don't think it is an offensive scent, but not one I wear that often because I'm concerned about the volatility.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I only liked it on my third try. And I'm definitely going to get it. Not as bad as Kuoros but still very pungent. If you love pathouli, go for it! It's an overdose of pathouli similar to Clinique's Aromatics Elixir. Just brace yourself for the first whiff [smiley=wink.gif]

It is a complete stinker and it is very offensive!!!

At the same time it is so classy and cool.................and that's why I love it so much.

I always get comments when I wear it, either "can I lick your neck" or "please leave the room NOW"

Mic.

The first whiff was a real punch in the nose. I don't know if I'll try again...

to me.. givenchy had the same feeling to it as dreamer.
    it was a very addictive smell that i had to keep smelling over and over and over again on my wrists..
    seriously adddddddddddddddddddddictive. :P

I got a whiff of gg on a card,but have never worn it,it was strong but did not offend me at all,I tend to like scents that are strong at first those are usually the best over time,it's the smell great and fade stuff I am leary of.
    try it, if you like it get it
    peace
    R-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    to me.. givenchy .(is).. a very addictive smell that i had(have) to keep smelling over and over and over again on my wrists..
    P
    I can second that for this lifetime partner of mine. While I do not believe to possibly molest anyone with Monsieur de Givenchy at any place or occasion, I am afraid GG could just do that. So, it belongs to my 'private' scents as almost all of my top favorites from BdP to Kouros, which seem to be liked by some, but n o t by everybody. I would feel self conscious wearing them to the office, talking to my bank manager or a client. After hours - definitely, everywhere!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.