Code of Conduct

Default Ever felt your skin has had enough?

My skin - especially round my neck - has been a little "burning" lately. It is not that it is very irritated or red or anything like that (not allergic), just a little itchy and a feeling of too much sun.

Could it be the daily cologne-bath that does this? Are there any limits for how much the skin can take you think?

Mic.

Default Re: Ever felt your skin has had enough?

[blue]Mike,

I always apply copious amounts of fragrance around my neck. It's a major pulse point. I've never had problems, expect when I might be allergic or sensitive to a particular fragrance or I haven't been careful shaving. The skin is the body's largest organ, and I suspect that if it is taxed by too much by sun, then cologne might exacerbate the skin's compromised condition, but it has never been my experience over a lifetime of wearing fragrances-more years than I care to rememberm that the skin suffers from the application of fragrance, all other things being equal.

I think there are worse offenders than fragrance; namely, smoking, copious alcohol consumption (a.k.a.: you supply the popular term), excessive exposure to sun, and, finally, and probably most importantly poor diet and lack of adequate hydration.

I am sure some people would notice their fragrances last longer on their skin if they took care of hydration and diet. Sure, applying moisturizer or even vaseline helps, but if your skin is so dry that is needs those to hold a fragrance, then maybe rehydrating and nourishing yourself internally would be a better strategy. This also seems a more productive strategy for those who genetically have dry-to-very-dry skin.

I am not sure this was the type of response you were particularly looking for, but your interesting question triggered a chain of thoughts particularly in the light of the number of recent threads about how to make a scent last longer. Just some thoughts off the cuff.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

Scentemental,

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Mic.

Ingredients in cologne can cause a reaction with the skin, especially if the sun hits the area you sprayed for a prolonged amount of time. I used to have problems with cologne burning my skin, rashes, etc., when I was in my teens and outdoors a lot.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mic
    Scentemental,

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Mic.

[blue]My pleasure Mic.[/blue]

Ingredients in cologne can cause a reaction with the skin, especially if the sun hits the area you sprayed for a prolonged amount of time. I used to have problems with cologne burning my skin, rashes, etc., when I was in my teens and outdoors a lot.
    [blue]Good point iMaverick. While one of the things modern producers of fragrances are very careful to do is to make sure that fragrances do not contain phototoxic chemicals that would present adverse reactions on exposure to the sun, it makes little sense to spray yourself with cologne and sunbake for, as you note iMaverick prolonged periods of time.

One has to be particularly careful with the application of certain essential oils, however, and exposure to the sun. Citrus oils are the main culprits and bergamot is especially dangerous. If you make your own essential oil concotions that you wear and which might be exposed to the sun, get bergapten-free bergamot oil. Of course, if you're already making your own essential oil blends then you probably aware of this anyway.

scentemental[/blue]