Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge EDT vs. EDC

I moved my response from the Heritage thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by rapscallion
    I have seen Habit Rouge listed as edt and edc and wondering which one Basenoters *prefer.
    Karl
    Karl-
    Probably most BNers are familiar with the EDT version, as that is the one which is most available. The EDC pops up on a website and I got it at TJ Maxx, but I can't think of where else I've seen it.

Anyhow, I have both and let me say a little on them; I hope it helps.

First, they are both similar in notes and structure. They both start citric, then some spices which merge into a vanilla-powder-leather drydown. The EDC has slightly more citrus, and a bit less vanilla, and more powder than the EDT.

Aside: HR is a cousin (really younger brother) of Shalimar, if you've ever smelled that, which may be why many people think it is a feminine scent. My fiancee adores Shalimar and constantly gets compliments on it. However, she does not like HR on herself. I don't know why. But she loves HR on me. Personally I don't like Shalimar. Go figure. *[smiley=rolleyes.gif]

There is a note in the transition into the base of the EDT which I call the "cardboard" note. Other people have noticed this as well. *I have noticed the "cardboard" note in the Acqua di Parma - Colonia as well.

However, I have not detected the "cardboard" note in the EDC. I do not know why.

Others have commented that the EDC does not last on them. I have not found this to be the case. Keep in mind I wear this to work, and apply it to my chest, back of the knee, back of the neck, and sometimes to my wrists. With the EDC you can afford to be a bit more liberal in application than the EDT. I have found the EDC to be more subtle than the EDT, but still has good duration. You would probably want to apply it using classical technique I elaborated upon above or as outlined in the seminal "tribute to classics" thread. The EDC would probably disappate quickly on bare skin, while the EDT is a bit more potent and should last longer on exposed skin.

The EDT however, may be better suited to dry, cool weather which will be coming in a few months (depending on where you live). The EDC would be particularly well suited to warmer climates, summer wear, or if you are in a formal profession (like mine) and really don't want to run the risk of overdoing it... the EDC is much more forgiving in that respect.

Note: I believe it was scentemental who stated that the EDC is actually the original formulation of HR, and the EDT is actually not quite the same. I have not tried the "Light" version of HR. The EDP version is similar to the EDT but adds an agarwood note to it which emerges after about an hour or so. You might be familiar with agarwood if you've tried M7. It is an interesting note, but not one I want in HR ... but there are some on the board who adore it!

You should be happy with either the EDT or the EDC; my preference is for the EDC for its flexibility and I like to be able to spritz away without abandon at times. Might make it SOTD tomorrow!
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Default Re: Habit Rouge EDT vs. EDC

[red]Many, many excellent discriminations on the differences between and qualities of *Habit Rouge EDC* and EDT Vicomte de K. Your posts are always exceedingly helpful precisely because of your carefully thoughout discriminations. I always appreciate your sharing them with us.[/red]

I am going to repost my review of the *Habit Rouges* EDC, EDT, EDP, and Légère (a.k.a. *Habit Rouge Light*) for those particularly interested to know some more about the EDP and Légère versions and how they compare and contrast with the EDC and the EDT versions. The review that follows was originally posted on the interim board when Basenotes was down in April and May of this year. The review now seems lost, so I beg everyones indulgence to post it again.

[blue]*A comparative review of *Habit Rouge* EDC, EDT, EDP, and Légère (Light)*

The EDC is the original formulation which tends to emphasize the citrus spice accord more throughout the entire drydown. It's definitely the most sophisticated and the most complex of the four. The animalic/vanillic accord is present but never brazenly like the EDT. The EDT on the other hand, even more so than the EDP, emphasizes the animalic/vanillic accord from the outset. It’s bold and makes no apologies for being so. If the EDC is the Habit Rouge, then the EDT is the Habit Rouge with the tie loosened and the shirt open. There is a brief nod to the EDC version in its hesperidic opening, and there is also a far less complex and persistent interplay of the spices with the hesperidic and animalic/vanillic accord. It is, however, the most potent form of the animalic/vanillic accord and, if your nose thinks so, a beautiful and beguiling one at that.

The EDP, interestingly enough, opens with stronger, but smoother hesperidic/neroli dominated top and middle notes and paradoxically with a decidedly more muted animalic/vanillic accord; one could even say that the signature *Habit Rouge* animalic/vanillic accord is barely perceptible until well into the drydown when the agarwood makes a show and blends with it to the point where its presence is now almost liminal. One finds oneself catching whispers of it as the agarwood dominates the final drydown in a very cozy and yielding way and acts as a wonderful basenote substitute for the vanilla predominant drydown of the EDT. If you’re looking for a stronger version of the EDT—and why anyone would want one is beyond me—you won’t find it here. The EDP is its own animal, with less animal in it and not more. It is, however, EDP strength, lasting at least 24 hrs on the wearer, at least on this wearer. If you like the agarwood note in YSL *M7*, you’ll love it in *Habit Rouge EDP*; its smoother, less medicinal, and better blended.

I just got my bottle of the *Habit Rouge Light*, so I've only had a chance to wear it once so far, but I will be retesting it regularly in the next week or two. For now, I'll note that the light version has a very subdued animalic/vanillic accord throughout with a prominent but very clean hersperidic top and middle note accord underpinned by a very sophisticated neroli note. In this sense the Light version is more of a reworking of the EDP than it is of the EDT. The neroli note in both the EDP and Light versions is never sharp, prickly, and unsettling as it is in say *Rochas Lui*. This neroli note is the one which makes people say *Rochas Lui* smells like *Habit Rouge*. However, I find the neroli note in *Rochas Lui* taxing; to my nose it’s an unsuccessful use of aroma chemicals. The benchmark for a more sophisticated aroma-chemical neroli note is, of course, Thierry Mugler's *Cologne*, and now, it seems, *Habit Rouge EDP* and *Habit Rouge Light*. As noted before, throughout the drydown of the Light version, the animalic/vanillic accord is a reticent presence, barely perceptible except for those who look for it. It's there, but on a much more liminal level than the EDP or the EDC, whereas, it’s a main feature in the EDT drydown. On the whole, the Light version is a very successful modulation of the EDP, as are all the various incarnations of the *Habit Rouge* line. This is quite a remarkable feat when one thinks of it. But I must caution, it is very easy to overlook the indivduality of each one of these incarnations if one compares them rashly to what one is used to. If anyone of these were created without the others exisiting, many of us would be raving about them. It's hard to see things afresh, but all of the various *Habit Rouges* are sui generis, a tribute to the original, inimitable EDC, which, when all is said and done, remains my favorite--not that the others are very far behind. Do I feel that owning four different version of *Habit Rouge* is the definition of redundancy? No. Everytime I wear them, I am reminded that reinvention can be recreation, and I myself find much recreation in wearing these scents whenever the particular mood for one over the other finds me amenable.

I hope all this helps to some extent.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

P.S. [red]Interestingly, the EDC formulation remains unchanged from its inception. I have this on good authority, the people from Guerlain themselves, or at least the Guerlain website’s customer relations person, a charming women by the name of Isabelle Rousseau, who was quite happy to talk with me at length with regard to *Habit Rouge*, and quite possibly quite amused by my passion with regard to *Habit Rouge*.[/red]

I am wearing HR EdT as my SOTD and I have been yearning to read the above post again! Thanks to both K and Scentemental for putting their amazing interpretations of all the variations of HR into such eloquent words. While I love the animal/leather base accord of the EdT, I do remember the original Habit Rouge from years ago to be more similar to the EdC. The EdP is truly special as well. I did expect a stronger version of the EdT but I certainly was not disappointed. I am not a fan of M7 and thankfully as Scentemental mentions, the EdP's agarwood is much better blended than what I find in M7.
    K, I sure do get a cardboard note in the EdT! Slightly different from what I find in Aqua di Parma but I do see exactly what you mean in both of them. I also get cardboard in Dzing! but to me, this is still different from what I get in HR EdT or Aqua di Parma. Go figure.
    I am now yearning to own all the variations of HR but my bank account is screaming back at me...

Regards,
    Eric

*bumps* oops

well, i thought this was a great thread for Habit Rouge admirers. i recently got hold of the Edc and Edt from buzzlepuff & Mike from Manhattan respectively(pacakge still in US thugh ). i have sampled the Edc and was totally blown away by the silky smooth divine basenotes.

Scentemental offers some insight into the differences to lookout for between the Edt, Edc, Edp & Light. reading thru his reviews, i'm totally drawn into procuring the edp version as well...Guerlain doing Oudh? Jeez.. :wave:

p.s. anyone here who wants to part with the Edp?..pls let me know...
    Last edited by jenson; 16th March 2009 at 07:25 AM.

Didn't I see a thread about the EDP recently? Maybe it was in the Wanted section of the marketplace. I have tried EDC and EDT, and of the two prefer the EDC. I sure would like to try the EDP and extrait, too.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th March 2009 at 01:56 PM.

EDC. Much less heavy and way better than the EDT. I love it!

I'm a happy owner of the EdT with a bottle of EdP on the way... I have a sample of the extrait and would only be so fortunate as to own a bottle, but alas it's not in the cards for me. I've actually never tried the EDC, but I'm sure a sample will find itself to me someday, as some fragrances tend to do.

Great reading from '05, though.

***** Five Stars to EDC *****
    I recently acquired this & Im totaly satisfied .
    Looking forward to someday trying the other versions .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Old thread, but I think a lot of people are always interested in comparing the different versions of Habit Rouge.

I have the EDC and the Legere versions. Today I went and bought a mid-90's bottle of the EDT. It's definitely very different from the EDC. There is a much more prominent animalic note-- not unlike that of L'Artisan's Dzing. I think I'm picking up a hefty carnation note also. Sometimes the way lime and vanilla mix reminds of a jello dish, which I like. This is common to both the EDC and EDT, however in my EDT, it seems disintegrated from the rest of the fragrance as a whole-- while the EDC has this accord all the way through. It's tough for me to really review this, since the bottle is probably 13 years old. There may be some deadening of some of the notes (I tried to compare a bottle of Vetiver from the same time period with a modern bottle and couldn't quite say much with any certainty). I think I'm going to get myself a new bottle of the EDT and compare it also, at some point. Right now I much prefer the EDC, but then again, I haven't spent much time with the EDT.

Has anyone done an A/B with the older Habit Rouge EDT and the new formulations? I know Vetiver is usually the subject of such comparisons, but I'm curious if anyone knows how many reformulations occured with Habit Rouge and when they happened.

BTW, Scentimental's review of the different versions of HR is something I find myself rereading all the time. A great reference!

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 27th March 2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added something

Kicking this topic to ask a question about Habit Rouge EDT.

I've tried it twice, and about 15 minutes into the frag it turns really nasty and sour on me, like wine vinegar. This sourness lasts for about half an hour and then it reverts back to leather and vanilla. It's really strange and it's happened to me on both occasions. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I don't suppose there's something I could do to avoid it...

Thanks!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

No idea about the sourness... that's odd for sure.

I just want to report I got the EdP recently. It starts off with a distinctive animalic/woody 'funk' that subsides into a more muted citrus. The agarwood is noticeable in the drydown, but it's not so distinct that it interrupts or changes the standard HR development. I have decants or bottles of all four concentrations (EdC, EdT, EdP, extrait), and I think the EdP is my favorite.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I just want to report I got the EdP recently. It starts off with a distinctive animalic/woody 'funk' that subsides into a more muted citrus. The agarwood is noticeable in the drydown, but it's not so distinct that it interrupts or changes the standard HR development. I have decants or bottles of all four concentrations (EdC, EdT, EdP, extrait), and I think the EdP is my favorite.
    Congrats. Now you need the After Shave.

Well, it's three for three in the sourness dept., but I just realized that they were all from the same tester bottle from one store so it could be that the bottle turned. I was actually testing it in the hopes of buying the vintage EDC. Would anyone be willing to spare me a sample? Preferably vintage EDC of course Thanks!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I have decants or bottles of all four concentrations (EdC, EdT, EdP, extrait), and I think the EdP is my favorite.
    I have yet to try the extrait but I've tried the EdC, EdT and EdP and think the EdP is, in my opinion, the best with the EdC nipping at its heels.

I have yet to sample the extrait too, but I'm sure it's amazing. However the new Habit Rouge Sport is dreadful... very fake lemony scent a la Dior Homme Sport with no powdery or leather note whatsoever. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Congrats. Now you need the After Shave
    I long ago gave up getting matching bath products, but I was seriously considering getting the Habit Rouge body wash and bar soap... then I came to my senses and realized it would be a total waste of money.