Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Default Re: Female fragrances used by men?

I have just recently gotten into female fragrances. Male freshies are really clunky and boring, so I think for the lighter fragrances I will keep an eye out on both sides of the store and get whatever I like. I really enjoy the few Aqua Allegorias I got to try. Oh, and I know Hermes Elixir des Merveilles is quite masculine despite being marketed for women. In the end, who cares! Try every damn thing you can get your hands on. Don't let a masterpiece slip away because of some stupid marketing. Though do note that you will have to start incorporating womens clothing into your wardrobe.

Oh, and you will also loose your manhood. Oh, and you will wake up knowing the words to Evita by heart. You can do it! We all believe in you!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

delete
    Last edited by mrclmind; 9th December 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I cannot see fragrances as masculines or feminines. For me, there just two categories: the ones that i want to wear, and the ones that i don`t want to wear.
    My sentiments exactly .

I started with this hobby only 3 or 4 years ago and never thought I could wear female fragrances (maybe because I am gay?). I must admit that I don't like most of the female scents I have smelt, maybe because some of them are like flower or fruity bombs. However, I am becoming to be more openminded, and now I have just found that I have double choice of finding scents I like. Some of the gems I found are Black Orchid, Un Bois Vainille and In Black (Jesus del Pozo).

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Reformulation had a as a consequence Magie Noire becoming more masculine. The vintage version is way too girly...

Chanel 19 smells manly so does Je Reviens, which, as a mater of fact, share the same kind of structure Sisley's Eau de Campaigne, which is unisex.
    My Magie Noire is not the recent version, but the vintage one. And i don't see it as too girly at all. Maybe it was girly for that time, but today is not the kind of scents that girls and women seem to appreciate.

Better for me, because it's a gorgeous mossy musky scent

AromiErotici

I wore Eau de Patou today....and of course......I smelled AWESOME. ( I was also reeking of Globe and Moschino from side by side comparisons.....so besides awesome.....I may have smelled very weird.....)

Female Shmemale......it either works or it doesn't. I try all kinds of juice and usually, the feminines don't work for me, but there are exceptional exceptions.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    I have just recently gotten into female fragrances. Male freshies are really clunky and boring, so I think for the lighter fragrances I will keep an eye out on both sides of the store and get whatever I like. I really enjoy the few Aqua Allegorias I got to try. Oh, and I know Hermes Elixir des Merveilles is quite masculine despite being marketed for women. In the end, who cares! Try every damn thing you can get your hands on. Don't let a masterpiece slip away because of some stupid marketing. Though do note that you will have to start incorporating womens clothing into your wardrobe.

Oh, and you will also loose your manhood. Oh, and you will wake up knowing the words to Evita by heart. You can do it! We all believe in you!
    I'm usually not at a loss for words........

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    My sentiments exactly .
    Mine as well!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I'm believe in division between the male and the female. Division...value discrimination, ads to the variety of life.

The trouble comes when someone pipes up vocally toward you about it. I have a number of female fragrances, and there's no greater downer than when the girl I'm with exposes her inner hick by exclaiming something like, "wait...why are you wearing woman's perfume?"

Now, if I caught the scent of a guy wearing Youth Dew, that'd be quite beyond my understanding and taste. Though I'd keep it to myself. Keeping one's mouth shut is highly underrated in this age of the self-righteous declaration.

Anyway, lightly misted Joop for men smells really cute on a girl. I love to smell utra-masculines on women, but I don't like the reverse, ultra-fems on men. From what I can tell, this is just human nature. Girl hot-rodders are kick ass. Guy flower arrangers are nothing special.

Something ferverishly hot, like Antaeus or Fahrenheit on a chick would be killer.

Rochas Man is good for a girl too, especially during the brisky holidays. It even comes in a pink box.

I've a weak spot for burnt sugars on myself. I'd wear Hot Couture or Nanette...lightly.
    Last edited by Frip; 10th December 2010 at 01:55 AM.

Dependent

Dang, I just arrived at work, and the show is still running since last night. i would have imagine it banished into archival oblivion. Even my big bro Aromi has gotten involved, I am feeling lucky, going to buy lottery during lunch.

Jokes aside...

I like what CanwllCorfe said: I have just recently gotten into female fragrances. Male freshies are really clunky and boring. Coz I realized I started to open my (previously "homophobic" mind) to the idea of "perfume for women" because I was getting a little jaded and bored with the seemingly dull fate of the current mainstream designer fragrance. Of course, you shouldn't apply this concept to your marriage, you get jaded and bored, but you live exclusively with him/her.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th December 2010 at 02:04 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    Dang, I just arrived at work, and the show is still running since last night. i would have imagine it banished into archival oblivion. Even Aromi has gotten involved, I am feeling lucky, going to buy lottery during lunch.

Jokes aside...

I like what CanwllCorfe said: I have just recently gotten into female fragrances. Male freshies are really clunky and boring. Coz I realized I started to open my (previously "homophobic" mind) to the idea of "perfume for women" because I was getting a little jaded and bored with the seemingly dull fate of the current mainstream designer fragrance. Of course, you shouldn't apply this concept to your marriage, you get jaded and bored, but you live with him/her.
    Matt.....it's statements like this that drive me to pour drams of Dior's Poison over my naked torso and vehemently dance around the lit perfume box campfire on my living room floor. Naturally, technoviking music will be providing the beat.

I'm also on my third marriage.....and you wait until now to tell me this?

Dependent

^ LOL!!

Just to make sure we're on the same frequency my big bro...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    ^ LOL!!

Just to make sure we're on the same frequency my big bro...

OH yea.....the Germanic studmeister in one of his finer moments. If he isn't a candidate for Kouros, I don't know who is....

Love Poison!
    My wife is wearing Code by Armani, and I steal a couple of sprays every now and then.
    I'll wait until she finishes it and get her some Dune or Chergui, I can c myself wearing those!
    Oh and Angel too!

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I'm usually not at a loss for words........
    That's just how I do. I'm the resident weirdo! Oh, and the picture is from:

http://www.21arrondissement.com/

Definitely wanna give credit where it's due! It's a great blog.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    That's just how I do. I'm the resident weirdo! Oh, and the picture is from:

http://www.21arrondissement.com/

Definitely wanna give credit where it's due! It's a great blog.
    I shouldn't critique fashion because I'm 54 and too damn old to care or pull it off........PLUS......when I was a young buck running around Philly back in the 1970's, I looked like psycho-pimp-daddy.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 11:00 PM.

I shouldn't critique fashion because I'm 54 and too damn old to care or pull it off........PLUS......when I was a young buck running around Philly back in the 1970's, I looked like psycho-pimp-daddy.
    Hahahaa! Yeah I wouldn't wear that outfit. It's not my style . It just fit with what I was saying and such. There's a couple of knockout outfits on there, but it'll be years before I could afford any of it.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Thanks for so many replies. I tried some ladies scents today, but only Chopard Wish was almost acceptable. Forget about my post. My chest is too hairy

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double vanille was my first feminine and i love it
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robes08 View Post
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double vanille was my first feminine and i love it
    I'm pretty sure Guerlain considers that a shared fragrance, not a feminine.

@Ash H. Thank you for the in-depth look at the gender issue!

The subject often raises emotional (and questionably logical) responses here on BN, so it is nice to look at it from a sociological and scientific perspective.

I agree with the data showing a sharper sense of smell in females than in men, and my mom is a great example of that sharp sense of smell. We used to tease her that she could put a pack of bloodhounds out of business, she was so good at sniffing out "contraband" in our possessions, no matter how well we thought we had hidden or contained that particular item.

My approach to perfume is definitely to wear perfume that I like, regardless of its target market. This to me is the only thing that makes sense.

What surprises me is the number of people who "dare" to wear a perfume marketed for the opposite gender who then discover that with a few exceptions, if comment is made about the scent that comment has nothing to do with the perceived "gender appropriateness" of the scent. It's not scientific at all because often people withhold what they believe might be "offensive" comments like - "hey girl, your perfume smells just like my father's aftershave!"

But that said... I really don't care whether people think this or not, if I'm happy in my own skin and the scent I'm wearing only accentuates that happiness.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Pictures! :evli:
    & Hey Aromi we're the same age!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I would consider wearing some of the Aqua Allegoria too, as well as Black Orchid by Tome Ford, Ispahan by Yves Rocher, Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari, Cuir de Russie by Chanel

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Default Wearing a fragrance not designed for your gender.

Would you wear a fragrance not designed for your gender? I ask because I wanted a Rose scent and I bought Sa Majeste La Rose by Serge Lutens. I'm a 44 yr. old Male and I thought I was going to buy Penhaligon's Hammam Boquet. But when I smelled Sa Majeste La Rose I had to have it. If I wear it lightly and not try to bring attention to myself I think it will work real nice.

Default Re: Wearing a fragrance not designed for your gender.

If you look around enough in this forum, you'll see that perfume gender designations are usually ignored. Sa Majeste smells good, and that's it. Or perhaps you can just claim you are Victorian, since rose (and later violets) were normally worn by stern Victorian men.

Now you can move on to to the whole Parfums de Rosine range and then to the bigger Nahema and Rive Gauche (woman, that is).

As for myself, I was tempted to buy Anais Anais...

cacio

As cacio replied, many of us here would. Besides, the Lutens line has no gender delineations. I doubt if people who think men should not smell like flowers will then trace the scent to you if they smell roses in the air. They'll probably attribute it to a woman, or that it's from real roses, an air freshener or cleaning agent!
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As for myself, I was tempted to buy Anais Anais...
    cacio
    Do it, do it!
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

I grabbed Anais Anais at Marshall's, $20, but then there was the usual ridiculous line at checkout so I gave up. For now. (Luca Turin thinks it a masculine too, btw).

As for roses, my only current one is the (very masculine) 1876, but I've set my eyes on some Parfums de Rosine.

cacio

Although fragrances are designed with an intended audience based upon what we socially consider masculine or feminine scents, people should wear what makes them happy and resonates with them.
    Last edited by elementalscents; 6th March 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Typo

As I mentioned on various other threads, I think that a good example may be Ispahan by Yves Rocher, meanwhile discontinued and marketed strictly as female, is a rich, dark, deep leathery floral which would be easily suitable as an unisex or male frag

I work in Perfume retail and i found that gender doesn't really matter in perfume and most people agree, even though its in a pink bottle it doesn't really matter! So many men go away with a 'womens' fragranceand vise versa. if it smells good on your skin then why not!

I wear Armani She alot of the time, its just quite a fresh and subtle scent, its not like people point at me cause i'm wearing it lol!

I was accidentally sent a sample of Mazzolari Ambra recently. I wore it not realizing it was something other than what I ordered and loved it. Most people categorize Ambra as a woman's fragrance. What difference does this make? None really, I'm buying it anyway.
    - Expect the unexpected

A fragrance for the other gender???

Argh!!

Last edited by socalwoman; 7th March 2011 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Get missundertood

if you like it , don´t mind
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

On Basenotes, many members wear what they like without caring about the marketing.

Wear what you enjoy!

As for rose marketed to men, you may wish to try Rose d'Homme:

http://www.beautyhabit.com/parfumsrosine_men.html

Another rose made for men is Artisan Voleur de Roses:

(scroll to the bottom)

http://www.beautyhabit.com/lartisan_travel.html#6076
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

what they all said ^

and personally i wear l'heure bleue on rare occasions, with Mitsouko arriving from the post any day now.

so screw gender connotations! if it works for you it works! With that said, white florals and berry-patchouli frappocinos are too girly for me to pull off...

When I was first wed, my husband's eldest brother was married to the most elegant British woman you could imagine. She wore only the finest clothing and accessories, never wore costume jewelry; only platinum, diamond, and pearl jewelry. And she wore the most incredible fragrance which only enhanced her feminine and elegant aura. I was floored when I learned (years later) that she wore a man's cologne. That was my introduction to the fact that fragrance knows no gender. If you like how it smells on you then so will others. It really only matters if you like it and how it makes you feel about yourself. Enjoy your life and fill it with what pleases you.
    "The universe is a continuous web. Touch it at any point and the whole web quivers." Stanley Kunitz

I really enjoy wearing Jasmin Noir, despite the Kate Moss marketing campaign. Wear w/e you think suits you!
    Hosting an *off-site* split on wikisplits for Sycomore. I am in Canada but in an attempt to improve foreign relations, this split is now International!!!

There have been offers made on 175ml of the 200ml bottle which means 25ml is open. There is the option for (under breath) 25ml.

Get your hands on an amazing fragrance in an affordable size at an incredible discount. Join the site if so inclined also, you are most welcome!

Contact me with any questions.

Canadians, follow this link to sign up for an off-site bottle swap/split marketplace!

http://perfumecanada.forumotion.com/

I wear many fragrances marketed to women. Many chypres, especially, are suitable for either gender, as well as are some orientals.

I also own and wear Sa Majeste La Rose. It is a beautiful rose fragrance, not too sweet or powdery. I don't see anything particularly feminine about it other than that it is a floral fragrance. Hammam Bouquet is one of my favorites from Penhaligon's. It is powdery and "doctored up", more old fashioned than Sa Majeste La Rose, but oh so good.

Wearing "opposite gender" fragrances is a matter of your own confidence more than anything else. Other people who smell it, through conditioning, are going to automatically assume that you are wearing a "masculine" fragrance because you are a man. They aren't going to freak out and shout, "Oh, my God! Tommv is wearing a girl's perfume!" Chances are that they won't even think about it being anything other than a man's fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommv View Post
    Would you wear a fragrance not designed for your gender?
    Nope - but that's just me.

Blog Entries

I tend to wear a fair amount of unisex, but only a few feminines. I'm a huge fan of woody, smoky, spicy, and green notes, and those tend to get called masculine or unisex. But I'm also a sucker for jasmine, and that gets me crossing the aisle for some good ones in the women's area.

If rose is your note, go for it. Many men's scents and shave creams emphasize rose. My Trumper's Rose shave cream is a treasure. When I smell "women's" rose scents, most of the time, I can't really distinguish the gender stereotype anyway.

Any opinions here on Femininitè du Bois? I'm wondering about some of the more woody feminines. The ones I've tried always seem to go over well with me, but I've never even smelled that one.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I've worn Sa Majeste la Rose. It is indeed awesome. For guys, irrespective of the fragrance, a light application / low sillage is always more appropriate. At least that's what I gather from the fine ladies here...

Blog Entries

in this day and age anything goes you can wear what you like
    don't let gender rule i know it's cliche but it's true
    i'm a woman and i love Azzaro Pour Homme faberge Brut
    English Leather and Paco Rabenne pour Homme

DeepSilence

Sa Majeste la Rose is one of complicated roses i've ever seen. With huge lasting!
    I like Hypnotic Poison, The One by D&G.

Blog Entries

Just about everyone replied to this thread back in March, except Tommv the O.P. I am curious. Did he read the replies and if so, did he then act as was suggested? that is, forgetting about what gender a perfume is supposed to be for, and just going for what smells good for them? (I notice that Tommv has not posted since March 20th).

By the way, widening the question a bit, I have found, as I have grown older, that the age group most concerned about what other people think (usually of them) are young people. And this is as it should be. It's a part of "growing up". But I assure you that "as time passes" what other people think begins to assume its real importance, which is very little.
    "I don't like the word 'unisex', said Ellena. 'That's no sex'. She thought about it. He watched her, sought to explain his point of view. 'For me, if you write a book, it's not for a man or a woman. It's a book.' She nodded. 'For anyone who loves to read. I can wear Shalimar. If I like it, I wear it'."
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; 19th June 2011 at 06:43 PM.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

I wear Nuits de Noho by Bond No. 9 and Un Bois de Vanille by Serge Lutens. Really if you like how it smells of you, wear it, don't worry about the targeted gender.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nope - but that's just me.
    Same here.

Don't worry about gender assignments for fragrances. I mainly wear unisex and masculines. And I throw femme samples in my bf's sample box because quite often they smell better on his chemistry than on my own - especially anything with rose because he smells great in rose fragrances.
    Last edited by firehorse; 23rd June 2011 at 02:21 AM.

Not a fan of Sa Majestie la Rose, but A la Nuit is awesome. Wear whatever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Don't worry about gender assignments for fragrances. I mainly wear unisex and masculines. And I throw femme samples in my bf's sample box because quite often they smell better on his chemistry than on my own - especially anything with rose because he smells great in rose fragrances.
    Firehorse, any of us concur with the idea that scent has no gender.

Wear what you like and be happy about it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I LOVE wearing a man's fragrance as long as there are some citrus notes and it's not too musky/woody. But that's just my preference.

Grey Vetiver and Guerlain Homme are stunning. Think a fair few of the Chanel "men's" ones are very likeable to me, as are a lot of the Gucci's and Boss's. (on women) Orange Boss for men and Hugo are also fabulous.

Default Female frags - how many of you men use them regularly ?

I see some female fragrances in the wardrobe pics of male collections in here and wonder how many of you males use female labeled frags on a regularly basis ?

Is it mostly gays who tend to use these often sweeter and more flower based scents or are there also full blown straight guys who spray female frags after the daily shower ?

Just curious hope I don't offend anyone with my question !!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Default Re: Female frags - how many of you men use them regularly ?

I wear fragrances marketed as feminine quite a bit more than masculines. Maybe it's because I've been wearing feminines for so long, but in a lot of cases I can't see any particular reason why a fragrance is marketed to one gender rather than the other. In other words, I think a lot of fragrances marketed as feminine are better perceived as unisex.

I don't have any insight into the correlation between sexual preference and tendency to wear feminine fragrances.

I wear what I like!

Personally don't use them.

I thought all men who wear any fragrance of any gender was gay...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Do female drags have little vaginas?
    I checked. They dint. Neither do they have little penises (penii?).

So how do you determine the gender?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Do female drags have little vaginas?
    I checked. They dint. Neither do they have little penises (penii?).

So how do you determine the gender?
    Why turn this discussion into this :lol:

If you look at it that way we're pretty much all unisex - but come on, if you have more than let's say 4" flaccid between your legs, it's not a clit anymore, right

I'm a straight 7" flaccid guy, and if i found a female frag I liked, I would consider buying and using it !
    Problem is I haven't found one yet
    They all smell too fruity, lipstick and flower based for my taste.

So just curious what kind of female fragrances appeal to you guys, who buys female frags and consider all frags as unisex and not segregated ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit