Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 361 to 420 of 793
  1. #361

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Alien, Black Orchid, Hypnotic Poison & Lovely.

  2. #362

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    You really just need to know what type of fragrances best represent you. For me, I'm not into strong florals, so even if the fragrance is marketed for men or unisex, if it's too strong a floral, I'll stay clear.

    These are the fragrances I use that are marketed to women:
    Shalimar EDP
    No. 19
    Stella
    Vetiver pour Elle
    Mitsouko

  3. #363

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Shalimar EdT, No. 19, Angel, Amouage Lyric Woman and Reflection Woman with most of them being applied et minimis.

  4. #364

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    I'm a little saddened that we keep having this discussion over and over. I should think that by now anyone here would be totally unconcerned with this matter, just as oenophiles think nothing of pairing some white wines with red meat and fashionistos find many conventions of style for amateurs. Why aren't we beyond this yet?

  5. #365

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I'm a little saddened that we keep having this discussion over and over. I should think that by now anyone here would be totally unconcerned with this matter, just as oenophiles think nothing of pairing some white wines with red meat and fashionistos find many conventions of style for amateurs. Why aren't we beyond this yet?
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm still pretty new to the forum, but I see this issue with the 'gender' of fragrances popping up several times now already.

  6. #366

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    I think it's important for us to keep educating people. I know some of you have done it for a long time, and are tired. Just skip these threads.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

  7. #367
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    I think it's important for us to keep educating people. I know some of you have done it for a long time, and are tired. Just skip these threads.
    What he said!

  8. #368

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Tabac Blond, Narcisse Noir, Infini, Bellodgia, Fleurs de Rocaille (Caron)
    L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko (Guerlain)
    Joy (Patou)
    Bal a Versailles (Desprez)
    Crepe de Chine (Millot)
    No 5 (Chanel)
    All are vintage extraits. My favorite by far is Joy. Maybe it's ... oxidized, or something. The civet is intense.
    Last edited by jdemetre; 15th September 2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: addition

  9. #369

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    I like and wear Habanita, Rose Pivione, and SMN Opoponax.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  10. #370
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,343

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Currently, unisex is as far as I wanna go.
    I'll leave others to my wife.

  11. #371
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    Why aren't we beyond this yet?
    Unfortunately, we never will be - as you can see. But to each his own. If people want to be narrow-minded, that is their prerogative.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th September 2010 at 01:28 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  12. #372

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    However, I do not consider people who have these limits/boundaries to be serious fragrance enthusiasts.
    (the message I quoted is a piece of the original one, funny you changed it)

    There is not a definition of a "real / serious" fragrance enthusiast.
    Everyone experiences this hobby in his own way.

    You know, if you like to test fragrances marketed towards women, I wish you good luck and happy hunting.
    All the best to you.
    What you are saying in the post that I quoted is just agressive and intolerant, as if you are better than some members on this forum. Why can't you just be nice? Does it somehow make you feel bad that some people do care about the marketing?

    There is always a reason behind the marketing you know. It's not like a bunch of apes and gorillas on crack chose the gender of a fragrance.

    My interest in feminine fragrances is absolutely zero. Like I said, I did get a wrong sample (Encre Noire pour elle, wanted the masculine version) , and it was so floral and feminine it was disgusting. With this experience, I'm quite sure I won't have any interest in feminine ones for the following years to come, to say the least.

    And I mean seriously, from the feminine ones you test, how many of them do you find wearable? It's not like your wardrobe is stacked with feminine fragrances. Do you wear these fragrances in public, or only in private?

  13. #373

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    Why aren't we beyond this yet?
    Because there are enough goodies on either side of the aisle to keep even a moderately-experienced person occupied without venturing against the labelling. After all, not everyone is looking for their "holy grail" rose or leather fragrance from the start.

    It's also yet another excuse to swap lists of current "loves", and maybe get ideas for other things to try out. I'm a little surprised not to see En Avion on any lists.

  14. #374

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    (the message I quoted is a piece of the original one, funny you changed it)

    There is not a definition of a "real / serious" fragrance enthusiast.
    Everyone experiences this hobby in his own way.

    You know, if you like to test fragrances marketed towards women, I wish you good luck and happy hunting.
    All the best to you.
    What you are saying in the post that I quoted is just agressive and intolerant, as if you are better than some members on this forum. Why can't you just be nice? Does it somehow make you feel bad that some people do care about the marketing?

    There is always a reason behind the marketing you know. It's not like a bunch of apes and gorillas on crack chose the gender of a fragrance.

    My interest in feminine fragrances is absolutely zero. Like I said, I did get a wrong sample (Encre Noire pour elle, wanted the masculine version) , and it was so floral and feminine it was disgusting. With this experience, I'm quite sure I won't have any interest in feminine ones for the following years to come, to say the least.

    And I mean seriously, from the feminine ones you test, how many of them do you find wearable? It's not like your wardrobe is stacked with feminine fragrances. Do you wear these fragrances in public, or only in private?
    If you're looking at this from the marketing point of view, it's not a good one, since the marketing aim is money, is to sell the maximum number of bottles to an uneducated consumer who in general doesn't know a lot of fragrances and doesn't really cares a lot, that is a costumer that only searches for a fragrance that smells god, even if this fragrance is not so original and can even be similar to others existen on market.
    Your post is also intolerant and agressive when you say you have zero interest in feminine fragrances, like they were differente creatures that would make you smell like a woman. If you really are a fragrance lover you'll want to try the fragrances based on the notes, based on your desires, on what you feel you need on a fragrance, and not based on what someone may think, according to a testing group of people that may even not have the same tastes of yours, that would be masculine or feminine.
    I wear my male and female fragrances without any constraints, i just wear them when I feel like i want to wear them. And there are great feminine fragrances, so you may have tried only the popular or obvious ones. Black Cashmere is very wearable, a nice spice, dry, incense frag that fits like a glove in winter days. Mitsouko is a dry mossy frag where peaches gives a soft touch. Lancome Magie Noire is another example of a dry, mossy chypre with musky notes, and which is great on a man skin.
    I always get compliments when I wear my kingdom, and from my female friends. They say that i smell great.
    If you really, really love fragrances gender marketing will one time get irrelevant to you, since you'll find a fragrance marketed to another sex that you like and looks fine to you. You may be not fully enjoying your experiences as a fragrance lover if you only stick with what others tell you to try and wear, and not what YOU may want to try. I think that, as animals with intelligence, we humans have the ability to think by ourselves....

  15. #375

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    (the message I quoted is a piece of the original one, funny you changed it)

    There is not a definition of a "real / serious" fragrance enthusiast.
    Everyone experiences this hobby in his own way.

    You know, if you like to test fragrances marketed towards women, I wish you good luck and happy hunting.
    All the best to you.
    What you are saying in the post that I quoted is just agressive and intolerant, as if you are better than some members on this forum. Why can't you just be nice? Does it somehow make you feel bad that some people do care about the marketing?

    There is always a reason behind the marketing you know. It's not like a bunch of apes and gorillas on crack chose the gender of a fragrance.

    My interest in feminine fragrances is absolutely zero. Like I said, I did get a wrong sample (Encre Noire pour elle, wanted the masculine version) , and it was so floral and feminine it was disgusting. With this experience, I'm quite sure I won't have any interest in feminine ones for the following years to come, to say the least.

    And I mean seriously, from the feminine ones you test, how many of them do you find wearable? It's not like your wardrobe is stacked with feminine fragrances. Do you wear these fragrances in public, or only in private?
    I bet that if you tried some fragrances like Pure Turquoise from Ralph Lauren or Elixir des Merveilles from Hermes or Escale A Portorfino from Dior you wouldn't tell that they are feminine fragrances. You're basing your comments on a single experience of a fragrance that you didn't like. If you want to say that you really, really don't like feminine frags, at least you should try some of them on skin for a day to have a full experience and see what do you think of them after your tests. If you don't do this, your opinion is as agreessive or intolerant, since it's base on a preconceived notion, not in a real experience.

  16. #376

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    If you're looking at this from the marketing point of view, it's not a good one, since the marketing aim is money, is to sell the maximum number of bottles to an uneducated consumer who in general doesn't know a lot of fragrances and doesn't really cares a lot, that is a costumer that only searches for a fragrance that smells god, even if this fragrance is not so original and can even be similar to others existen on market.
    Your post is also intolerant and agressive when you say you have zero interest in feminine fragrances, like they were differente creatures that would make you smell like a woman. If you really are a fragrance lover you'll want to try the fragrances based on the notes, based on your desires, on what you feel you need on a fragrance, and not based on what someone may think, according to a testing group of people that may even not have the same tastes of yours, that would be masculine or feminine.
    I wear my male and female fragrances without any constraints, i just wear them when I feel like i want to wear them. And there are great feminine fragrances, so you may have tried only the popular or obvious ones. Black Cashmere is very wearable, a nice spice, dry, incense frag that fits like a glove in winter days. Mitsouko is a dry mossy frag where peaches gives a soft touch. Lancome Magie Noire is another example of a dry, mossy chypre with musky notes, and which is great on a man skin.
    I always get compliments when I wear my kingdom, and from my female friends. They say that i smell great.
    If you really, really love fragrances gender marketing will one time get irrelevant to you, since you'll find a fragrance marketed to another sex that you like and looks fine to you. You may be not fully enjoying your experiences as a fragrance lover if you only stick with what others tell you to try and wear, and not what YOU may want to try. I think that, as animals with intelligence, we humans have the ability to think by ourselves....
    There is a difference between being agressive and intolerant towards people and being "agressive and intolerant" towards fragrances. But seriously, if I don't want to test fragrances marketed towards women, I am agressive and intolerant towards those fragrances? Really? Like those fragrances are actually living beings?

    I have no doubt that some feminine fragrances work like magic on male skin. The thing is, I don't have any interest to search for such fragrances. I'm really wondering what the problem is when people do not want to do this. It's remarkable how insecure some people are who wear the feminines.

  17. #377

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    I also cringed a little petruccijc when I read that line just after you posted it. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think someone can be a true enthusiast without venturing into scents marketed toward the opposite gender. This being said, I personally feel that with a greater appreciation and understanding of the perfuming arts, one will usually come to want to venture over that line. (Refraining from doing so only diminishes your olfactory experiences by half)! Perhaps not necessarily to wish to wear them, but to at least enjoy and have an appreciation for them.

    To answer Siifter's question though, yes, I too am a male in my 30s who likes to wear a selection of "women's perfumes".

  18. #378

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    There is a difference between being agressive and intolerant towards people and being "agressive and intolerant" towards fragrances. But seriously, if I don't want to test fragrances marketed towards women, I am agressive and intolerant towards those fragrances? Really? Like those fragrances are actually living beings?

    I have no doubt that some feminine fragrances work like magic on male skin. The thing is, I don't have any interest to search for such fragrances. I'm really wondering what the problem is when people do not want to do this. It's remarkable how insecure some people are who wear the feminines.
    I think insecurity is when you stay inside the box, not when you think outside the box...

  19. #379

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I have no doubt that some feminine fragrances work like magic on male skin. The thing is, I don't have any interest to search for such fragrances. I'm really wondering what the problem is when people do not want to do this. It's remarkable how insecure some people are who wear the feminines.
    I'm not entirely sure where this quip about peoples insecurities has come from. That to me is a passive-aggressive (and slightly intolerant) remark about people as well.

    I think perhaps if you were given a mixed bag of unlabelled, unmarked samples and asked to go through them and set to one side all those you would like to wear, you would likely find a number scents that you could call gender-neutral or unisex... and some of these might very well be perfumes marketed towards women. The thing is, whilst you may not actively go out and test fragrances in the "women's" section of the store, this "blind test" might actually inspire you to buy one based on the way the perfume smells. And thats really the nuts and bolts of the matter, isn't it?

    But hey, this is a theoretical scenario, and I applaud you for doing what you're doing. Everyone's journey is a different one.

  20. #380

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I'm not entirely sure where this quip about peoples insecurities has come from. That to me is a passive-aggressive (and slightly intolerant) remark about people as well.

    I think perhaps if you were given a mixed bag of unlabelled, unmarked samples and asked to go through them and set to one side all those you would like to wear, you would likely find a number scents that you could call gender-neutral or unisex... and some of these might very well be perfumes marketed towards women. The thing is, whilst you may not actively go out and test fragrances in the "women's" section of the store, this "blind test" might actually inspire you to buy one based on the way the perfume smells. And thats really the nuts and bolts of the matter, isn't it?

    But hey, this is a theoretical scenario, and I applaud you for doing what you're doing. Everyone's journey is a different one.
    I did say "some people" their insecurity. You personally are not calling anyone names, you are not claiming some people are no real fragrance enthusiasts. So I don't call you insecure, even if you test and like women fragrances. But good to know I'm the intolerant one, I guess.

    All your basically doing is searching for unisex/masculine aspects in fragrances marketed towards women. And like I said, I have no doubt it's possible. But there are some people out there who find such a fragrance, buy it, and go all artistic online on how "open minded" they are, and others are ofcourse narrow minded people with no idea. That fragrance has "no gender", while they are essentially searching for masculine aspects in feminine ones. What a load of cr*p.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 16th September 2010 at 03:20 AM.

  21. #381
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Sorry. I did not mean to offend anyone. I was stuck in the airport waiting on a delayed flight and was in a very bad mood - but that is no excuse. Please accept my apologies.

    However I just wish people would experience fragrances for themselves - and not let marketing/rules/boundaries get in their way. I feel there is a whole world of wonderful experiences waiting for them. But that is up to them if they want to take that journey....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  22. #382

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    I'm 21 and I wear 'Nuit de Noel' which smells like really good incense on me and I find it very comforting, can get a bit "chalky" but I've gotten good compliments on it. I'm looking for others but I feel a lot of the OLDER perfumes are much more wearible by men these days.

    I did like 'Mitsouko' which smells like peach fritters fried in peanut oil and 'Vol de Nuit' which is closer to 'Nuit de Noel' in terms of scent with Guerlain iris and tonka-vanilla but they are harder to find in vintage since I don't think the modern stuff would hold a candle to any of these particular scents while I've found those larger 30-40 year old square clear flacons of 'Nuit de Noel' eau de toilette from Caron from 30-60 bucks.


    As far as moderns I've also worn 'Eaux des Merveilles" from Hermes and that is another GREAT scent if you like kind of salty-ambergris orange? They really should sell that one unisex considering their classic eau de'orange verte (another great citrus scent) is unisex.

  23. #383
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,460

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    I do.

    Dior Hypnotic Poison
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Guerlain Shalimar EDP
    Guerlain Samsara EDP
    Chanel No.19 EDT
    Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT
    Chanel Cristalle
    Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl
    Hermes Kelly Caleche
    SMN Imperial Oppoponax
    Serge Lutens Sa Majeste le Rose
    Serge Lutens Rousse

    I wear these 'female-marketed' scents purely on the basis of how good they smell on my skin. Some overtly floral, some may be less so. I think it really depends on your 'comfort zone'. My own comfort zone allows me to wear many types of scent but imposes more restrictions on the projection/sillage - so whatever I wear it is usually discreet.

    We don't really have to bash each other up over this issue; it's just a hobby after all. I may not wear extremely floral feminine scents but I wouldn't call them disgusting either. That's rather insensitive considering many (females/males) who happen to like their florals. So to me it's not always about likes/dislikes; often it is more about 'appreciation'. That's why I'm here on Basenotes.

  24. #384

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Hi Siifter, we hope this thread helped you in some way!

  25. #385
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,146

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Just be careful....
    Hahaha, you naughty boy!

  26. #386

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    i can tolerate only Shalimar EDC

  27. #387

    Default Re: Who wears fragrances that is marked as women?

    Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Hi Siifter, we hope this thread helped you in some way!
    Well yes. But i would feel too weird anyway to wear a womens fragrance. But I appreciate all the answers all though its nothing for me.

  28. #388

    Default Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Now first of all, this isn't for all female scent wearers, im merely throwing something out there as to why some men like scents for women.

    Now, its a general, worldwide 'men are from mars, women from venus' thing, women are softer in nature, some like things cute and cuddly, as opposed to what a man likes, and as a consequence, they might prefer a note in their fragrance that is very soft and powdery, men (depending on their reasoning for wearing a fragrance) might choose something not soft and powdery.

    This might not be applicable to true collectors of perfume, who buy for other reasons than wearing them, but for those who aren't but buy 'womens' fragrances, is it more to do with the fact that there is a particular note in a woman's perfume that is more regularly found in 'masculine' fragrances?

    For instance, you can find almost all notes that have been in both male and female scents, its just the way they are composed, take tobacco or vetiver for example, you can tell the notes when you smell them, regardless of what scent they are in, but theres a way they are composed that makes them seem 'feminine' or 'masculine'.

    My opinion is, SOME buy women's fragrances simply because there are masculine composed notes in them, mixed with the quintessential feminine note, some say its acceptable to wear.

    Its not marketing, its not that its genderless, its because it some female scents smell masculine, and thats why you wear it and say theres nothing wrong with wearing a womens perfume. The reality is, most men wouldn't buy a womens deodorant, even though deodorant is made for one job regardless of gender, skin type, sweat glands etc, its because of how it smells, if Sure for women smelt like Right Guard for men, men would wear Sure for women, and say there is nothing wrong with wearing womens deodorant. Thats my point. Again, just an opinion.

  29. #389

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Personally, I think it is justified to have all three classifications (feminine/unisex/masculine) as there are compositions that are almost universaly associated (or not associated) with a specific gender. However, from my own experience so far, I'd say that a large percentage of fragrances could work well as unisex, regardless of how they are marketed. There are many examples of misleading marketing in the history of the perfume-industry, so I'd say that plays a role in what people are associating - it's a significant factor in the everlasting process of reshaping our expectations. Yet, I believe that there is a universal template (like Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man") for what we perceive as beautyful / aestheticaly striking, that is burried very deep in our nature (so that it is not that much dependend on the psychology of marketing).

    I often enjoy wearing very masculine scents very much but I would never let that become a dogma. Depending on my mood I enjoy wearing all kinds of scents!
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 25th September 2010 at 12:29 PM.

  30. #390
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Choose between two answers - short and long.

    1. Short:

    As PetrucciJ said, scents don't have genitalia, and MikePerez dixit, your pee pee won't fall off if you wear a female scent. So gender does not matter at all, it is all related to personal tastes.

    2. Long:

    Check out fragrances classified according to their families and you will realize mostly florals are femenine and orientals / spicy / woody / leather scents are mostly clasified as masculines.

    Now, there are some florals that are classified as masculines (Insensé) and some orientals/ woody / spicy / leather scents that are classified as femenine (Bandit - leather).

    Add to this the fact that some are not truly "honest" to their gender qualification - ie, and as far as my experience goes, Cabochard being femenine and being worn by a man is identifiied as a masculine scent, Dior Homme being a masculine scent and being worn by a woman is identified as a femenine.

    Now, let's add some confusion: top notes can be femenine (ie: florals) and base notes masculine (ie: leather). So, again, as my experience goes, the basenotes of Quartz pour femme by Moulineux are described as masculine, and more even so when compared to the drydown of another men's fragrance I cannot recall its name.

    I have plenty of anecdotes on how misleading scents can be in terms of gender:

    - Jovan's Musk for men was my sis' signature scent and no one got its manly character,
    - Once I wore JHL once and was told Opium pour Femme did smell great on me.
    - While wearing Mitsouko I was told "oh, that you are wearng is SO virile".
    - Once I was asked if I were wearing Chanel N° 5 (with an expression of awe, of course): no, I was not, it was a really dirty cheap cologne with a drydown that is quite similar to that of Chanel's.

    Add historical facts - ie, Old Spice was targeted to women, proved a flop, rerelased for men.... and became a success.

    Now, noses have traditionally worked for a mostly femenine market until the 1960's - 1970's, when men started to use scents. That meant that the had to work on gender-related styles since then, the reason why some classics feel masculine - vintage Shocking (Jean Carles, 1937) is very similar to Kouros, Tabu (same, 1932) smells much alike to Lagerfeld Classic (1978), etc. Did Bernard Chant realized this? I gues so, Cabochard (1959) has the same structure as Aramis (1973), but with more floral notes in it. Now, the time has come when men are not afraid of using bold scents in their sweetness, once a femenine trademark, so you've got truly femenine masculine scents - I am thinking of A*men, Lolita Lempicka et al.

    The point being, manufacturers deliver information on their products to customers that do not justify spending time in acquiring the information needed in order to analyze their offers. Thus, if they are being told scent A is a masculine, they will buy it regardless of prominent notes present or the character of the blend.

    Add to all this one's personal policies regarding one's hobby - my wardrobe is quite big, so I have to decide which kind of scents to buy, this ruling out femenines (the ones I bought were before I became aware and decided on this) - as well as personal tastes - for me, wearing loud scents regardless of their notes is a sign of affection, plain scent wearing ignorance or just bad taste.

    So, after all this thoughts, all you get is a... just enjoy whatever you like!

  31. #391

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yet, I believe that there is a universal template (like Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man") for what we perceive as beautyful / aestheticaly striking, that is burried very deep in our nature (so that it is not that much dependend on the psychology of marketing).

    !
    Good point, very true

  32. #392
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    To me there's a clear difference between male and female fragrances. I wear a bunch of ultra-sweet fragrances that many people say are unisex or even feminine, but to my nose there is a big difference in smells of male and female fragrances. Givenchy Pi is the one that I'd really call unisex though; my girlfriend was wearing a sample of Pure DKNY that i gave her and i thought she was wearing Pi.

  33. #393

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

    Add to all this one's personal policies regarding one's hobby - my wardrobe is quite big, so I have to decide which kind of scents to buy, this ruling out femenines (the ones I bought were before I became aware and decided on this) - as well as personal tastes - for me, wearing loud scents regardless of their notes is a sign of affection, plain scent wearing ignorance or just bad taste.

    So, after all this thoughts, all you get is a... just enjoy whatever you like!
    I hear you, and agree, my point was to those who make an excuse to wear feminine scents, i've seen someone say they wear Black Orchid, Double Vanille, Shalimar and i think Narciso Rodriguez for her, and there is nothing wrong with wearing female scents. While that is true, im questioning whether or not he wears those not because he enjoys some feminine scents, but because those for fragrances can easily be put on a male scent shelf and be bought and sold by men without a problem because of their hugely 'masculine' influences....

  34. #394

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    As for your main point, which i understand to mean that there are just some notes/structures that appeal to men or women and that the "women's" ones that men wear are essentially mens constructions, while I agree that there are some notes that people generally prefer, I'm not sure that I would agree with you there are only two reasons why men would buy a women's frag. You've said it's either because they're a collector so they just buy anything, or they're really buying a men's frag dressed by marketing as a lady's.

    There's also the question of the chicken and the egg. Do boys like blue because they've always been surrounded by blue and told blue is for boys and they should like it? Ie, do men like leather and vetiver scents (or whatever) because they can't get away from it? and women like roses because they're in every women's frag?


    I think that within a community like ours, we're more like art apreciators (?). Ie, when we run out of stuff that just smells nice, we start looking for things that smell interesting, or unique. An experience, a story, an expression of an abstract concept. I've bought some frags because
    1. I find them inherently interesting or unusual and I want to understand them further. Eg Black Orchid. It's polarizing. I'm fascinated and must own it and wear it to try and understand this beast. Do I inherently love the smell? I don't even know, nor do I care at this point. I'm looking for an interesting experience, not just to smell good. In that case I don't really care if it's mens or womens or if it even smells "good".
    2. It's meant to be feminine (eg Chanel no.5) and I feel like I can challenge my preconceptions about fragrance and gender in general by wearing it. It's almost a little thrilling to be test myself by wearing something I "should" be uncomfortable wearing because it's a floral or something.
    3. It's a "must own". I find I don't actually relate to many of Guerlain's frags. They're from a time past. But I know I should respect them and I have them since they are landmarks, whether male or female, they are the predecessors to many others.
    4. Maybe it just smells nice, so I buy it and wear it. If you told me Tabac was for women, i'd still probably get a bottle, just incase because it smells nice.


    and there's the point as mentioned that some are released as mens or womens and switched over time.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  35. #395

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    I think a blind test would be more useful.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...all-experiment

    You can try the same thing.

  36. #396

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post




    2. It's meant to be feminine (eg Chanel no.5) and I feel like I can challenge my preconceptions about fragrance and gender in general by wearing it. It's almost a little thrilling to be test myself by wearing something I "should" be uncomfortable wearing because it's a floral or something.

    And i applaud this, many people would put fear and pre conceived notions about how they smell to others before doing this, but a part of my point is maybe a large percentage of men would not do this, in terms of reasoning when buying a womens fragrance.

  37. #397

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    There's also the question of the chicken and the egg. Do boys like blue because they've always been surrounded by blue and told blue is for boys and they should like it? Ie, do men like leather and vetiver scents (or whatever) because they can't get away from it? and women like roses because they're in every women's frag?
    It's the "Nature versus nurture"-debate. At this point, I am fairly certain that both play a huge role. Of course socialisation is a huge factor in how humans live their gender roles but there's also a significant amount of 'hardcoded' information envolved. I tend to think that heredity outweighs socialisation.

  38. #398

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    It's the "Nature versus nurture"-debate. At this point, I am fairly certain that both play a huge role. Of course socialisation is a huge factor in how humans live their gender roles but there's also a significant amount of 'hardcoded' information envolved. I tend to think that heredity outweighs socialisation.
    Yeah both do play a huge role, and I like you would like to think heredity wins, but i cant help but think if our western society was not so capitalistic would our views be different?

  39. #399

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    As many experienced Basenoters correctly pointed out, long I before did, the masculine/feminine separation came very late, in comparison to the true age of perfume history from day one onwards and was initially there mainly for marketing purposes

    Besides, I do find myself all the time discovering truly masculine notes in e.g. Le Dix by Balenciaga, the female Opium by YSL or Ispahan by Yves Rocher

  40. #400

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Yeah both do play a huge role, and I like you would like to think heredity wins, but i cant help but think if our western society was not so capitalistic would our views be different?
    I am sure, they would. I also think that in times of gender confusion (emancipation of women, androgynity in the pop culture etc) our society is divided between those who appreciate just that and those who long for the ease of clarity. The eighties were probably the pinacle of this conflict but it's been smouldering on ever since. It's no wonder that the 70ies and 80ies brought us the most masculine scents while at the same time the gender distinctions melted away. In times like these there's a growing demand for anything that provides clarity.

  41. #401

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    I wear women's fragrances because I want to be Paris Hilton's BFF. I say this because there doesn't have to be a reason why a man wears a fragrance marketed towards women. The reason could be as silly as "I want to be Paris Hilton's BFF." If you like the fragrance, wear it. I'm sure the perfumers would love that you want to wear their creation.
    Last edited by Rosehavn; 26th September 2010 at 05:47 PM.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

  42. #402

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    I wear women's fragrances because I want to be Paris Hilton's BFF.
    while i appreciate the sarcasm, this was intended to be a mature conversation.

  43. #403

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    I wear mostly feminine and unisex fragrances because my favorite genre is florals ( mostly female-designated ), orientals ( about an even split with many designated unisex ). I look for fragrances based mostly on my favorite notes ( e.g. jasmine, civet, cardamon ); gender is simply not a consideration for me, only whether I like how it smells on me.

  44. #404
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,413
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Tastes have changed over the years. Really "girly" fragrances seem to have lost their appeal for many women, and more and more men's fragrances have begun to feature "feminine" notes, like jasmine, tuberose, honeysuckle (white florals have really invaded men's fragrances).

    Also, I think in general, the whole gender role stereotyping thing has changed in Western society, especially among younger guys. The impact of gay men on fashion and perfume was always there, but sub rosa. Now, it seems to be more out in the open as acceptance for sexual variation seems to have increased in many places.

    I'm generalizing, of course, and there are exceptions to every generalization. You might call me a collector, but I do (at least occasionally) wear some of
    the "feminines" (even the more traditional ones) in my collection. The only truly unused bottles I have are back-ups for ones that are running low.

    In the end, there are as many reasons for perfume choices as there are scents and people to wear them. Remember the formula for permutations: n!/(n - k)! How many people have how many perfumes each? Factorials are geometric in nature; at about 11! or 12! calculators start to be unable to display the result!
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

  45. #405
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,471
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Perhaps people's reasons for wearing feminine frags could be erroneously misinterpreted as excuses.

    Everybody has a unique reason for doing whatever they do. I wear some feminine frags because they smell great, are very well made, and do not make me feel like i am wearing a leotard and lipstick. Some fem frags are more butch than some masulines i have (Magie Noire by Lancome) yet some are just so creamy that i would feel cheated not being able to wear them for some reason or the other (Encre Noir pour Elle). Yet i am a card-carrying powerhouse frag lover.

    The feminine frags i like will be different from the ones another guy likes, simply because our tastes differ, not necessarily our perception of what is feminine and why we wear them.

    This is a very thought-provoking thread and thanks, jlouismi, for sharing.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  46. #406

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Choose between two answers - short and long.

    1. Short:

    As PetrucciJ said, scents don't have genitalia, and MikePerez dixit, your pee pee won't fall off if you wear a female scent. So gender does not matter at all, it is all related to personal tastes.

    2. Long:

    Check out fragrances classified according to their families and you will realize mostly florals are femenine and orientals / spicy / woody / leather scents are mostly clasified as masculines.

    Now, there are some florals that are classified as masculines (Insensé) and some orientals/ woody / spicy / leather scents that are classified as femenine (Bandit - leather).

    Add to this the fact that some are not truly "honest" to their gender qualification - ie, and as far as my experience goes, Cabochard being femenine and being worn by a man is identifiied as a masculine scent, Dior Homme being a masculine scent and being worn by a woman is identified as a femenine.

    Now, let's add some confusion: top notes can be femenine (ie: florals) and base notes masculine (ie: leather). So, again, as my experience goes, the basenotes of Quartz pour femme by Moulineux are described as masculine, and more even so when compared to the drydown of another men's fragrance I cannot recall its name.

    I have plenty of anecdotes on how misleading scents can be in terms of gender:

    - Jovan's Musk for men was my sis' signature scent and no one got its manly character,
    - Once I wore JHL once and was told Opium pour Femme did smell great on me.
    - While wearing Mitsouko I was told "oh, that you are wearng is SO virile".
    - Once I was asked if I were wearing Chanel N° 5 (with an expression of awe, of course): no, I was not, it was a really dirty cheap cologne with a drydown that is quite similar to that of Chanel's.

    Add historical facts - ie, Old Spice was targeted to women, proved a flop, rerelased for men.... and became a success.

    Now, noses have traditionally worked for a mostly femenine market until the 1960's - 1970's, when men started to use scents. That meant that the had to work on gender-related styles since then, the reason why some classics feel masculine - vintage Shocking (Jean Carles, 1937) is very similar to Kouros, Tabu (same, 1932) smells much alike to Lagerfeld Classic (1978), etc. Did Bernard Chant realized this? I gues so, Cabochard (1959) has the same structure as Aramis (1973), but with more floral notes in it. Now, the time has come when men are not afraid of using bold scents in their sweetness, once a femenine trademark, so you've got truly femenine masculine scents - I am thinking of A*men, Lolita Lempicka et al.

    The point being, manufacturers deliver information on their products to customers that do not justify spending time in acquiring the information needed in order to analyze their offers. Thus, if they are being told scent A is a masculine, they will buy it regardless of prominent notes present or the character of the blend.

    Add to all this one's personal policies regarding one's hobby - my wardrobe is quite big, so I have to decide which kind of scents to buy, this ruling out femenines (the ones I bought were before I became aware and decided on this) - as well as personal tastes - for me, wearing loud scents regardless of their notes is a sign of affection, plain scent wearing ignorance or just bad taste.

    So, after all this thoughts, all you get is a... just enjoy whatever you like!
    Good post.

    Someone from my year in school got a fair amount of stick for wearing female perfume. (He was a guy obv)
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

  47. #407
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    I hear you, and agree, my point was to those who make an excuse to wear feminine scents, i've seen someone say they wear Black Orchid, Double Vanille, Shalimar and i think Narciso Rodriguez for her, and there is nothing wrong with wearing female scents. While that is true, im questioning whether or not he wears those not because he enjoys some feminine scents, but because those for fragrances can easily be put on a male scent shelf and be bought and sold by men without a problem because of their hugely 'masculine' influences....
    Social pressure? Indeed, you are darn right. Besides the fact that it is not poliitcally correct to disagree on men wearing perfumes....

  48. #408

    Post Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Look at my SotD...How about the fact that it just smells good, nothing less, nothing more.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

  49. #409
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,460

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Peer & social pressure do play a part in shaping your preferences esp. when one is younger & more impressionable. At that age, many of us just want to :

    (a)fit in with our peers
    (b)do not want to offend anyone with our fragrance
    (c)trying to score with the girls
    (d)stand out from the crowd so you can get to (c)
    (e) all of the above

    I remember when I was 10, I used to read the Nancy Drew mysteries - a series with a female protagonist. I picked up the book because that was what my elder sister borrowed from the library. I continued reading Nancy Drew books until one day, a girl looked at me and wondered out aloud to her friend, "Why is that boy reading a book for girls?" I stopped reading Nancy Drews from then on & started on Hardy Boys. Same goes with fragrances, really.

    But as you get older & become more aware of your own strengths, you see the BS that many people buy as truth and become less fearful about experimenting. That's when you start pushing the boundaries. Arguably the male 'female fragrance' wearers have pushed their boundaries a little further than those who are still stuck within their macho fragrance comfort zone.

    Either way, if you're perfectly happy where you are, why should you give a sh*t about what others think about your fragrance wearing habit & preference? Wear what you want, be happy & stay that way. Negativity sucks the marrow out of life; better to hang around with more positive thinkers who will find something positive to say about your scents & talk about topics more interesting than the 'genitalia of fragrances'.

    I buy & wear whatever smells good on me. And 3 out of 4 times, I'd pick a unisex or a 'feminine' as a matter of preference. But interestingly, my GF tends to pick from my wardrobe the more 'masculine' options for herself. She's never hung up over whether a scent is male- or female-marketed.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 25th September 2010 at 05:31 PM.

  50. #410

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Personally I think it's a combination of social expectations and personality. Take myself, for instance. Now nobody is going to confuse me for Rambo, but I'm what you would consider a man's man, I'm straight as an arrow, and probably a little rough around the edges in some ways. Highly floral, nice pretty things just aren't me. I can clean up ok, but dressing really spiffy and elegant isn't my style. I can appreciate them on others, but they would be out of place on me, I think.

    Now spicy, woody type scents are probably more in keeping with my stoic, trouble-making nature.

    To be totally honest, I find I have to tune down a little on the scents I like when I'm on the chase for women, as they probably find my natural style a little too aggressive. That is why I will tend to make concessions and look for middle-ground scents I really like as well (ex. Creed MI, Musc Ravageur)

  51. #411

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Now first of all, this isn't for all female scent wearers, im merely throwing something out there as to why some men like scents for women.

    Now, its a general, worldwide 'men are from mars, women from venus' thing, women are softer in nature, some like things cute and cuddly, as opposed to what a man likes, and as a consequence, they might prefer a note in their fragrance that is very soft and powdery, men (depending on their reasoning for wearing a fragrance) might choose something not soft and powdery.

    This might not be applicable to true collectors of perfume, who buy for other reasons than wearing them, but for those who aren't but buy 'womens' fragrances, is it more to do with the fact that there is a particular note in a woman's perfume that is more regularly found in 'masculine' fragrances?

    For instance, you can find almost all notes that have been in both male and female scents, its just the way they are composed, take tobacco or vetiver for example, you can tell the notes when you smell them, regardless of what scent they are in, but theres a way they are composed that makes them seem 'feminine' or 'masculine'.

    My opinion is, SOME buy women's fragrances simply because there are masculine composed notes in them, mixed with the quintessential feminine note, some say its acceptable to wear.

    Its not marketing, its not that its genderless, its because it some female scents smell masculine, and thats why you wear it and say theres nothing wrong with wearing a womens perfume. The reality is, most men wouldn't buy a womens deodorant, even though deodorant is made for one job regardless of gender, skin type, sweat glands etc, its because of how it smells, if Sure for women smelt like Right Guard for men, men would wear Sure for women, and say there is nothing wrong with wearing womens deodorant. Thats my point. Again, just an opinion.
    I disagree. I wear fragrances for the notes that i enjoy, not because they suggest feminine or masculine sides. I enjoy spices, vanilla, some flowers, aldehydes, cream musks, woods, citrus. I just don't feel that it's right to limit my olfactory experiences trying to put them in sex terms. It's what the industry try to sell and it's what most people will buy, but to me fragrance is above all the things art, and art cannot be restrained to this approach. Fragrance is one of the areas of my life that i feel most free. I just wear what makes me feel happy, I'm not searching for men, or woman fragrances, i just search for fragrances. My taste for fragrances went to this direction and to me it's pointless to waist my time not wearing some that i like just because it's marketed for another sex besides mine.

  52. #412

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Although I can see that the gender in fragrances is a helpful for someone who doesn't want to go deeper in the world of fragrances. With so many products being launched every year, it'd be kind of stressing for a regular costumer to choose a new scent. I think that the classifying system that i enjoy the best is the one that luckyscent started to adopt. They tell you in what direction a fragrance go, more femine or more masculine, without gendering it fully.

  53. #413

    Thumbs down Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yet, I believe that there is a universal template (like Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man") for what we perceive as beautyful / aestheticaly striking, that is burried very deep in our nature (so that it is not that much dependend on the psychology of marketing)...
    I disagree
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  54. #414

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    All i have to say is wear what makes you feel good,no matter what. I've worn alot of mens fragrances that people have said it smells like girls perfume,go figure. :0) And i've had alot of men ask me what are you wearing it smells nice where can i get that. And it was a womans perfume.

    I myself wear Shalimar and it happens to be one of my favorite fragrances,including Habanita & Narcisse Noir. I also love alot of the Hermes womens fragrances also.

  55. #415
    Basenotes Plus
    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    10,975

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Look at my SotD...How about the fact that it just smells good, nothing less, nothing more.
    Completely agree Ron.
    Ditto for my SotE - bought it today. Marketed towards the fairer sex and smells amazing on me (according to my G/F). I never pigeonhole fragrance whether by sex, age or anything else. If I sample something and it appeals to my nose my wallet will invariably end up lighter regardless of the gender it is marketed towards.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th September 2010 at 07:40 PM.

  56. #416

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I disagree
    ok, but what's your take on the subject then? Do you believe that those persisting gender cliches (boys prefer blue to pink, play with toy guns and cars rather than Barbies etc) are just a product of our education/society?

  57. #417

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Great discussion and great points from everybody here!
    I wear perfumes regardless of the gender they are marketed for. Manlyness is a state of mind, no matter what you wear and after all if you wea also a very feminine scent, let's say a girlish rose, it doesn't affect your manlyness if you have pleasure from this scent. After all where there's taste, there's no damage
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 25th September 2010 at 08:24 PM.

  58. #418
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,471
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    ...I never pigeonhole fragrance whether by sex, age or anything else. If I sample something and it appeals to my nose my wallet will invariably end up lighter regardless of the gender it is marketed towards.
    Agreed. This way, one expands horizons of satisfaction.

    Co-incidentally, i am wearing Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea, marketed to women. My wife, not suspecting, said it smelt very nice on me. Now she too has one more frag in "her" arsenal, since what's mine (and she likes) is hers as well....
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  59. #419

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    I regularly wear Brit for men, which is soft and powdery (going back to the OPs comments) and sweet and floral to boot. I had a work colleague tell me this week that I smelt like a 'tarts handbag'. Do I care? No, I love the stuff, it puts me in a good mood.

    I do have trouble with certain notes that are common in perfume marketed at women, they just don't fit my personality. Jasmine would be one such note. But it means I just as unlikely to wear 'mens' frags that have strong Jasmine note, like Jaipur, as I am something like Pure Poison.

    I realise recently, that the website I use most for buying fragrance, only has mens and womens pages, and don't know how to handle unisex frags, so they sell some of my favourites and I had no idea, because they were in with the womens scents. That just goes to show how arbitrary these labels can be.

    Lastly, I've got my wife interested in Midnight Poison, to the point were she has asked for it for her birthday... Just so I can steal it sometimes for myself!

  60. #420
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    As PetrucciJ said, scents don't have genitalia, and MikePerez dixit, your pee pee won't fall off if you wear a female scent. So gender does not matter at all, it is all related to personal tastes.
    Did I say that? LOL

Similar Threads

  1. Men who wear women's fragrances
    By Sillage6 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 1st June 2009, 10:16 PM
  2. Perfume the Guide: Top ten Mens and Womens fragrances [preview]
    By zztopp in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 15th April 2008, 08:53 PM
  3. Confusion over Prada fragrances for men
    By dreamchaser in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th March 2008, 02:48 PM
  4. what is that in men fragrances?
    By Riccigirl in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th September 2006, 04:10 AM
  5. Strong and powdery fragrances for men
    By Sanzio in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30th September 2005, 08:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •