Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 793

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    I heard Hermès femenine scent, Eau des Merveilles it's so "strange" or particular fragance that could men use (what kind of men? i don't know?), or at least, take the unisex role.

    In this great site someone clasificated Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps as a "angelical" smell. Neither femenine or masculine fragance; without sex, like the angels. [smiley=smiley.gif]

    So, what kind of rich, provocative, sophisticated women parfum could suit in the skin of an open-minded men?

    (Sorry about the english... I dont speak it very much)
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara
    So, what kind of rich, provocative, sophisticated women parfum could suit in the skin of an open-minded men?
    First off, welcome to basenotes. There are many womens' fragrances that can be worn by men. There are many unisex fragrances that can be worn by men and women. Restricting to 'womans' fragrances I would say (others will provide a lot more suggestions)

    Prada
    Angelique Encens.
    Chanel Cuir De Russie
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

  3. #3

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Hi K,

    What? Men wearing WOMENS fragrances! OUTRAGEOUS! I would NEVER wear a WOMANS fragances...well...errrr...except BANDIT (which I own)...but just BANDIT...and...well errr perhaps...KINGDOM (which I own)...yea...BANDIT and KINGDOM...but...that's it...BANDIT and KINGDOM and...well...perhaps if...if I owned TABAC BLOND or JICKY...I would wear that as well...but just BANDIT, KINGDOM and TABAC BLOND and/or JICKY. Oooh...well...perhaps...errr...Welcome to the MADNESS!

    Regards,
    SixCats!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Welcome to the board. Where are you from, may I ask? Kakihara sounds Japanese... moshikashitara nihonjin desuka? dattara ureshii na~

    As for men wearing "feminine" fragrances, sure, why not! If you feel comfortable wearing a fragrance, go for it!

    Some of the "feminine" or "unisex" scents I like are:

    Hermes Hiris
    Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee
    YSL Nu (EdP & EdT)
    Chanel #19
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Bois de Iles
    Guerlain Jicky
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Bulgari Black

    ...and a whole bunch of Niche fragrances, most of which their companies don't even bother to label "masculine" or "feminine" because they leave it up to their customers to decide...

  5. #5
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,376

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    The big question is who determines what is a men's or women's fragrance? Would I defer my own taste to some corporate suit who may not know jacksh*t about fragrance, but says--we need a men's fragrance blah blah blah or a women's fragrance that is like some competitor company fragrance blah blah blah? Do I actually believe that they would know better than I what smells good on me? I'd have to be a pretty pathetic sheep to fall for that kind of commercial control, and I don't live that way. Only I decide what I like to wear on me; the labels are for people who are too timid or who have not yet bothered to educate themselves. Sorry for the rant; welcome to BN!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Ones I have are:
    Bandit EDP
    Miss Dior
    Diorella

    There is something in most scents denominated as women's frags that I don't care for; I can't pin it down - might be an aldehydic-floral accord or something. And there are the women's frags which are hardcore floral that I just don't go for (although I do go nuts over carnation and sometimes rose).
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

  7. #7

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Ahem *none* cough...
    [smiley=wink.gif]

  8. #8

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    I own Black Cashmere by Donna Karan and Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. Black Cashmere is a spicy, smokey, subtly sweet brew while Kingdom is a boisterous concoction starring civet, cumin, rose, myrrh, citrus, vanilla, musk and sandalwood. Both can be easily worn by men. Just seeing how many male BaseNoters own these two is proof of that. Both have been discontinued by their respective houses. IMO, probably because most women found them to be too masculine smelling for their skin. Or at least, that assertion is based on how many SA's have told me of the two fragrance's sales numbers. They're both still out there...just takes a little looking!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Sorry, my nick was an ocurrence...I'm from Spain... [smiley=laugh.gif]

    Totally agree with docluv45... if my own taste leads me to a femenine fragance that I feel interesting, attractive and sufficiently "masculine" (in my own way), why I had to say "no"?

    Even in the graetest and creative art of the perfumes exists that kind of parameters? Yes, I know femenine fragances I'll never imagine wearing, but there's also a lot of them that can be very great!!

    So, follow with the suggestions...
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    MANY of my favorite scents are women's or unisex scents already mentioned here. I just want to add my vote for


    Bandit (Edp and Edt)
    Bulgari Black (marketed as unisex)
    Kingdom
    Jicky
    Comme des Garcons edp
    Black Cashmere
    Hermes Jardin Med (marketed as unisex)

    And I *also* like some super masculine things like Yatagan, M7, Carven Vetiver and Bel Ami.

    Eau d'Hermes is supposed to be unisex, I think, but I find it too femmy for me (kinda ironic, considering some of my favorites listed here). Or maybe I just don't like it.

    Guys, if you try these, you'll probably be like "why did they ever think a guy wouldn't want to wear this?"

    If you own it, and you're a guy, then it's a guy's scent. OK?

    Have fun adventuring.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Dude, do youreself a great favor--discover the world of Bond No. 9.. Infinite possibilities, where gender is no issue at all.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    Dude, do youreself a great favor--discover the world of Bond No. 9.. Infinite possibilities, where gender is no issue at all.
    You *do* work for them, don't you!!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    You *do* work for them, don't you!! *[/quote]

    I sincerely wish I did.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    I'm wearing Cacharel Amor Amor as we speak! I love scents that have that "rhubarby" note in them.

    YUMSTERS!

    Other faves

    Kingdom
    Black Cashmere
    Red - Giorgio BH
    Vol Du Nuit
    Samsara

    Loads more that I can't remember.

    Go for it I say!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    All I know is that I've been wishing they created a Men's version of Coco Mademoiselle--the scent drives me nuts (in good way!). I suppose they might call it Coco Pour Monsieur??? Men in France as I have read would buy Chanel No. 5 for themselves to wear--this scent in itself has elements that make it masculine as well, very much like the clothing made in this fashion house. In Ancient India, I read that men rubbed jasmine petals on themselves. People are correct here in this forum when they say there is no "gender" of a scent. Just what society dictates and what "sex" the fragrance is offered to.
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Let your nose be your pilot

  17. #17

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif]

  18. #18

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#15 date=1123362719]Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif][/quote]

    You're not wrong dude, I need to wash it off!!!
    Let your nose be your pilot

  19. #19

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    [quote author=CoL link=1123107937/15#16 date=1123362931][quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#15 date=1123362719]Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif][/quote]

    You're not wrong dude, I need to wash it off!!![/quote]
    Go grab some Brut or other manly one that'll do the trick!

    LOL

    It does make me laugh though, peoples attitudes that is. Its particularly evident in Scotland (rather backward me thinks, I can say that being a Scot [smiley=rolleyes.gif])I remember on many occassions walking up to a fragrance counter and going to spritz a new LADIES scent. SA's start running and screaming "THATS A LADIES SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!" almost in slow motion, as if when it touches my skin, breasts will magically sprout from my chest. Jez [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

  20. #20

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#17 date=1123363497][quote author=CoL link=1123107937/15#16 date=1123362931][quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#15 date=1123362719]Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif][/quote]

    You're not wrong dude, I need to wash it off!!![/quote]
    Go grab some Brut or other manly one that'll do the trick!

    LOL

    It does make me laugh though, peoples attitudes that is. Its particularly evident in Scotland (rather backward me thinks, I can say that being a Scot [smiley=rolleyes.gif])I remember on many occassions walking up to a fragrance counter and going to spritz a new LADIES scent. SA's start running and screaming "THATS A LADIES SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!" almost in slow motion, as if when it touches my skin, breasts will magically sprout from my chest. Jez [smiley=rolleyes.gif][/quote]


    lol!
    Let your nose be your pilot

  21. #21

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Sheesh, here in the good ol' U S of A ANY TIME I browse the men's fragrance counters I hear one of the following phrases:

    "Is this for your boyfriend/dad/brother?"
    "Oh honey, that's a men's cologne, come over here & I'll show you some lovely women's fragrances"
    "You do know that's a men's cologne, right?"
    "I don't think that's right for you"

    etc...
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  22. #22

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Sheesh, here in the good ol' U S of A ANY TIME I browse the men's fragrance counters I hear one of the following phrases:

    "Is this for your boyfriend/dad/brother?"
    "Oh honey, that's a men's cologne, come over here & I'll show you some lovely women's fragrances"
    "You do know that's a men's cologne, right?"
    "I don't think that's right for you"

    etc...
    Thats hilarious!!!!! * I have gotten some funny lines and faces too. *Sometimes the sa's would walk away from me really fast after i told them i was looking at womens scents for me. *Others would contort their faces in ways you would think only an octupus could. * *Some sa's say "what does she usually wear"?????? * *or is this for your wife? *NO.....its for me. * LOL!!!!!! * *Now, though, so people can stay within their comfort level i respond by saying something like "She" usually wears Angel or Chanel 5. *Or its for my girlfriend. *Lately though, people have been saying to me "are you looking for mens or womens" then i'll say "whatever smells good". *then the sa will say *"is it for yourself or a girlfriend" *If we go through that exchange i'll say its for me. *It seems people can accept it better that way.
    Awesomeguy

  23. #23

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    I have worn unisex fragrances such as

    Bvlgari The Blanc
    Bvlgari Black
    Burberry Baby Touch

    I have worn Angel and I would wear Bvlgari Omnia since I dont think its more feminine than the unisex ones, and its very nice. It has that Bvlgari smell, with chocolate.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    most of my perfumes are feminine, i think men's ones have no originality, except for the Dolce Gabbana pour homme, Gucci pour homme, M7 and Dior's Bois d'argent and Eau Noire...So i love NU- Yves Saint Laurent, Kingdom - Mc Queen, Prada, Madness - Chopard, Castelbajac EDP, Tabac Blond - Caron, Féminité du bois- Shiseido, Light Blue Dolce Gabbana,Costume National Scent Intense, L'Eau par Kenzo. And all the Serge Lutens unisex fragrance...because I agree with what he says: we are what we smell

  25. #25

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    This is one of those subjects that seems to come up alot.
    Eau des Merveilles, Brit Red, Bvlgari Blv and Blv Notte Feminine, Omnia by Bvlgari, All of the Bvlgari's except for Femme, Nu by YSL, Siselys Eau des Soir EdP, Black Cashmere, Jicky.....the list goes on and on and on.
    Many of the Creeds are unisex.....and many Bond No.9 scents.
    I noticed that someone mentioned Prada, and I agree. L'Occitane has many that can go either way. Bath and Body works aromatherapy line has scents that guys and gals can where. Many L'Artisan's, MpG's. OK...I'll stop,this could go on for a while.
    Gary

  26. #26

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    I would wear Bvlgari Blv for women. It smells as if you have just had a shower. Something powdery that is clean.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Silver Rain
    Opium for Women

    I have worn both and received many compliments from women.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    There was a thread up the other day about men wearing Angel.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    I can recommend you explore feminine chypres and cuir scents of 50-70 years of XX century.
    Try this:
    Cabochard de Gres - very good leather, castoreum and some bitter flowers
    Jolie Madame Pierre Balmain - leather, violet, artemisia
    Diorella - barbarella
    Miss Dior - nice chypre
    Diorissimo

    Doblis by Hermes - nice and soft leather
    Parfum d`Therese - formerly the unique perfume of Edmond Roudnitska wife, now the frag from Editions de Parfums de Frederik Malle
    Padparadshah de Satellite - like Gucci Rush for men, but with cade oil and incense
    etc., etc., etc...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

  30. #30

    Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

    Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    All I know is that I've been wishing they created a Men's version of Coco Mademoiselle--the scent drives me nuts (in good way!). *I suppose they might call it Coco Pour Monsieur??? *Men in France as I have read would buy Chanel No. 5 for themselves to wear--this scent in itself has elements that make it masculine as well, very much like the clothing made in this fashion house. *In Ancient India, I read that men rubbed jasmine petals on themselves. People are correct here in this forum when they say there is no "gender" of a scent. *Just what society dictates and what "sex" the fragrance is offered to.
    I agree, my mother wears this and its just amazing! if they could tweak it to make a mans version I dont think id ever buy anything else after that ever.

  31. #31

    Talking Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    In return for the thread the other way I think some womens perfumes would smell good on men
    Paloma Picasso
    La perla
    212
    Very valentino bought my husband this and was much later I found that I had bought the ladies version for him but he got loads of compliments LOL

  32. #32

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    The list is very long and I'll miss some for sure so here are a few that I wear...
    1. Cartier's Kiss Of The Dragon
    2. Bvlgari Blv ( Fantastic ).
    3. Eau des Merveilles by Cartier ( Wonderful ).

    Donna Karans Black Cashmere is one that I could wear.... Some may not agree with me on this one but I could wear Chance by Chanel.
    Kingdom by McQueen is one that comes to mind...this is just a few of many.
    Gary

  33. #33

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    Yes, definitely Black Cashmere and Paloma Picasso

    I'd also suggest Aromatics Elixir, Eau de Sud, Eau de Ciel, Bijan, Narciso Rodriguez, Yohji, Ambre Sultan, Helmut Lang, Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica, Coty Chypre, Villoresi's Yerbamate, Gap Grass, Mitsouko, Perry Ellis 360 Degrees, Coco, Demeter's Dirt, Aliage, Youth Dew, POTL's Luctor et Emergo, Long Lost Perfume's Anarchy (their version of Chaos), and oh heavens lots 'n lots more. Several of these are unisex anyway.

    Basically, whatever floats your boat - go for it

  34. #34

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    The fragrances that I wear which are classified as women's are:
    - Chanel Bois des Iles (both EDT and extrait)
    - Caron Tabac Blond extrait

  35. #35

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    Premier Figuier

    and

    Mat; Chocolat

    are two that I use.


    Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

    "The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

    Daily Wardrobe


  36. #36

    Cool Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    I use often Angel, CGD Lily, Nilang, Diorissimo, Flower By Kenzo, Léau par Kenzo, Diorella, and Halloween.
    I have got loads of cumpliments.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

    Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

  37. #37

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    I can see a man wearing Samsara well.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    I wear most of the "women's" scents that are on my wardrobe, from one time to the other, but i wear mostly men's scents more frequently...

  39. #39

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    Fragrances that seem unisex to me: Mitsouko, Samsara, L'Occitane Neroli, Gres Cabochard, Aromatics Elixir, Agent Provocateur, Cuir de Russie, Coty Wild Musk, Omnia, NR for Her, Prada, Angel, most of the Rosines, every Yardley scent, every Guerlain AA, every Serge Lutens and L'Artisan ever created (even Tubereuse), and The Body Shop's Patchouli, Japanese Musk, Lemon Tea, Woody Sandalwood, Cinnamon Spice, Cosy Cashmere. Also anything from the "Invent Your Scent" range.

    I think anyone can wear a perfume regardless of which gender it's marketed towards because personal chemistry changes a scent. Also some perfume oils (Nemat) can be worn by anyone because there's no image attached to the product.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 21st February 2007 at 05:52 AM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  40. #40

    Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

    I second Nu edp and Narciso Rodriguez edt.....And maybe even Hypnotic Poison and Pure Poison.

  41. #41

    Default Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Now first of all, this isn't for all female scent wearers, im merely throwing something out there as to why some men like scents for women.

    Now, its a general, worldwide 'men are from mars, women from venus' thing, women are softer in nature, some like things cute and cuddly, as opposed to what a man likes, and as a consequence, they might prefer a note in their fragrance that is very soft and powdery, men (depending on their reasoning for wearing a fragrance) might choose something not soft and powdery.

    This might not be applicable to true collectors of perfume, who buy for other reasons than wearing them, but for those who aren't but buy 'womens' fragrances, is it more to do with the fact that there is a particular note in a woman's perfume that is more regularly found in 'masculine' fragrances?

    For instance, you can find almost all notes that have been in both male and female scents, its just the way they are composed, take tobacco or vetiver for example, you can tell the notes when you smell them, regardless of what scent they are in, but theres a way they are composed that makes them seem 'feminine' or 'masculine'.

    My opinion is, SOME buy women's fragrances simply because there are masculine composed notes in them, mixed with the quintessential feminine note, some say its acceptable to wear.

    Its not marketing, its not that its genderless, its because it some female scents smell masculine, and thats why you wear it and say theres nothing wrong with wearing a womens perfume. The reality is, most men wouldn't buy a womens deodorant, even though deodorant is made for one job regardless of gender, skin type, sweat glands etc, its because of how it smells, if Sure for women smelt like Right Guard for men, men would wear Sure for women, and say there is nothing wrong with wearing womens deodorant. Thats my point. Again, just an opinion.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Personally, I think it is justified to have all three classifications (feminine/unisex/masculine) as there are compositions that are almost universaly associated (or not associated) with a specific gender. However, from my own experience so far, I'd say that a large percentage of fragrances could work well as unisex, regardless of how they are marketed. There are many examples of misleading marketing in the history of the perfume-industry, so I'd say that plays a role in what people are associating - it's a significant factor in the everlasting process of reshaping our expectations. Yet, I believe that there is a universal template (like Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man") for what we perceive as beautyful / aestheticaly striking, that is burried very deep in our nature (so that it is not that much dependend on the psychology of marketing).

    I often enjoy wearing very masculine scents very much but I would never let that become a dogma. Depending on my mood I enjoy wearing all kinds of scents!
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 25th September 2010 at 01:29 PM.

  43. #43

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yet, I believe that there is a universal template (like Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man") for what we perceive as beautyful / aestheticaly striking, that is burried very deep in our nature (so that it is not that much dependend on the psychology of marketing).

    !
    Good point, very true

  44. #44

    Thumbs down Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yet, I believe that there is a universal template (like Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man") for what we perceive as beautyful / aestheticaly striking, that is burried very deep in our nature (so that it is not that much dependend on the psychology of marketing)...
    I disagree
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

    Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

    More HERE
    Please PM me !

  45. #45

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I disagree
    ok, but what's your take on the subject then? Do you believe that those persisting gender cliches (boys prefer blue to pink, play with toy guns and cars rather than Barbies etc) are just a product of our education/society?

  46. #46
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    3,584

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Choose between two answers - short and long.

    1. Short:

    As PetrucciJ said, scents don't have genitalia, and MikePerez dixit, your pee pee won't fall off if you wear a female scent. So gender does not matter at all, it is all related to personal tastes.

    2. Long:

    Check out fragrances classified according to their families and you will realize mostly florals are femenine and orientals / spicy / woody / leather scents are mostly clasified as masculines.

    Now, there are some florals that are classified as masculines (Insensé) and some orientals/ woody / spicy / leather scents that are classified as femenine (Bandit - leather).

    Add to this the fact that some are not truly "honest" to their gender qualification - ie, and as far as my experience goes, Cabochard being femenine and being worn by a man is identifiied as a masculine scent, Dior Homme being a masculine scent and being worn by a woman is identified as a femenine.

    Now, let's add some confusion: top notes can be femenine (ie: florals) and base notes masculine (ie: leather). So, again, as my experience goes, the basenotes of Quartz pour femme by Moulineux are described as masculine, and more even so when compared to the drydown of another men's fragrance I cannot recall its name.

    I have plenty of anecdotes on how misleading scents can be in terms of gender:

    - Jovan's Musk for men was my sis' signature scent and no one got its manly character,
    - Once I wore JHL once and was told Opium pour Femme did smell great on me.
    - While wearing Mitsouko I was told "oh, that you are wearng is SO virile".
    - Once I was asked if I were wearing Chanel N° 5 (with an expression of awe, of course): no, I was not, it was a really dirty cheap cologne with a drydown that is quite similar to that of Chanel's.

    Add historical facts - ie, Old Spice was targeted to women, proved a flop, rerelased for men.... and became a success.

    Now, noses have traditionally worked for a mostly femenine market until the 1960's - 1970's, when men started to use scents. That meant that the had to work on gender-related styles since then, the reason why some classics feel masculine - vintage Shocking (Jean Carles, 1937) is very similar to Kouros, Tabu (same, 1932) smells much alike to Lagerfeld Classic (1978), etc. Did Bernard Chant realized this? I gues so, Cabochard (1959) has the same structure as Aramis (1973), but with more floral notes in it. Now, the time has come when men are not afraid of using bold scents in their sweetness, once a femenine trademark, so you've got truly femenine masculine scents - I am thinking of A*men, Lolita Lempicka et al.

    The point being, manufacturers deliver information on their products to customers that do not justify spending time in acquiring the information needed in order to analyze their offers. Thus, if they are being told scent A is a masculine, they will buy it regardless of prominent notes present or the character of the blend.

    Add to all this one's personal policies regarding one's hobby - my wardrobe is quite big, so I have to decide which kind of scents to buy, this ruling out femenines (the ones I bought were before I became aware and decided on this) - as well as personal tastes - for me, wearing loud scents regardless of their notes is a sign of affection, plain scent wearing ignorance or just bad taste.

    So, after all this thoughts, all you get is a... just enjoy whatever you like!

  47. #47

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

    Add to all this one's personal policies regarding one's hobby - my wardrobe is quite big, so I have to decide which kind of scents to buy, this ruling out femenines (the ones I bought were before I became aware and decided on this) - as well as personal tastes - for me, wearing loud scents regardless of their notes is a sign of affection, plain scent wearing ignorance or just bad taste.

    So, after all this thoughts, all you get is a... just enjoy whatever you like!
    I hear you, and agree, my point was to those who make an excuse to wear feminine scents, i've seen someone say they wear Black Orchid, Double Vanille, Shalimar and i think Narciso Rodriguez for her, and there is nothing wrong with wearing female scents. While that is true, im questioning whether or not he wears those not because he enjoys some feminine scents, but because those for fragrances can easily be put on a male scent shelf and be bought and sold by men without a problem because of their hugely 'masculine' influences....

  48. #48
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    3,584

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    I hear you, and agree, my point was to those who make an excuse to wear feminine scents, i've seen someone say they wear Black Orchid, Double Vanille, Shalimar and i think Narciso Rodriguez for her, and there is nothing wrong with wearing female scents. While that is true, im questioning whether or not he wears those not because he enjoys some feminine scents, but because those for fragrances can easily be put on a male scent shelf and be bought and sold by men without a problem because of their hugely 'masculine' influences....
    Social pressure? Indeed, you are darn right. Besides the fact that it is not poliitcally correct to disagree on men wearing perfumes....

  49. #49

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Choose between two answers - short and long.

    1. Short:

    As PetrucciJ said, scents don't have genitalia, and MikePerez dixit, your pee pee won't fall off if you wear a female scent. So gender does not matter at all, it is all related to personal tastes.

    2. Long:

    Check out fragrances classified according to their families and you will realize mostly florals are femenine and orientals / spicy / woody / leather scents are mostly clasified as masculines.

    Now, there are some florals that are classified as masculines (Insensé) and some orientals/ woody / spicy / leather scents that are classified as femenine (Bandit - leather).

    Add to this the fact that some are not truly "honest" to their gender qualification - ie, and as far as my experience goes, Cabochard being femenine and being worn by a man is identifiied as a masculine scent, Dior Homme being a masculine scent and being worn by a woman is identified as a femenine.

    Now, let's add some confusion: top notes can be femenine (ie: florals) and base notes masculine (ie: leather). So, again, as my experience goes, the basenotes of Quartz pour femme by Moulineux are described as masculine, and more even so when compared to the drydown of another men's fragrance I cannot recall its name.

    I have plenty of anecdotes on how misleading scents can be in terms of gender:

    - Jovan's Musk for men was my sis' signature scent and no one got its manly character,
    - Once I wore JHL once and was told Opium pour Femme did smell great on me.
    - While wearing Mitsouko I was told "oh, that you are wearng is SO virile".
    - Once I was asked if I were wearing Chanel N° 5 (with an expression of awe, of course): no, I was not, it was a really dirty cheap cologne with a drydown that is quite similar to that of Chanel's.

    Add historical facts - ie, Old Spice was targeted to women, proved a flop, rerelased for men.... and became a success.

    Now, noses have traditionally worked for a mostly femenine market until the 1960's - 1970's, when men started to use scents. That meant that the had to work on gender-related styles since then, the reason why some classics feel masculine - vintage Shocking (Jean Carles, 1937) is very similar to Kouros, Tabu (same, 1932) smells much alike to Lagerfeld Classic (1978), etc. Did Bernard Chant realized this? I gues so, Cabochard (1959) has the same structure as Aramis (1973), but with more floral notes in it. Now, the time has come when men are not afraid of using bold scents in their sweetness, once a femenine trademark, so you've got truly femenine masculine scents - I am thinking of A*men, Lolita Lempicka et al.

    The point being, manufacturers deliver information on their products to customers that do not justify spending time in acquiring the information needed in order to analyze their offers. Thus, if they are being told scent A is a masculine, they will buy it regardless of prominent notes present or the character of the blend.

    Add to all this one's personal policies regarding one's hobby - my wardrobe is quite big, so I have to decide which kind of scents to buy, this ruling out femenines (the ones I bought were before I became aware and decided on this) - as well as personal tastes - for me, wearing loud scents regardless of their notes is a sign of affection, plain scent wearing ignorance or just bad taste.

    So, after all this thoughts, all you get is a... just enjoy whatever you like!
    Good post.

    Someone from my year in school got a fair amount of stick for wearing female perfume. (He was a guy obv)
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

  50. #50
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,225

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    As PetrucciJ said, scents don't have genitalia, and MikePerez dixit, your pee pee won't fall off if you wear a female scent. So gender does not matter at all, it is all related to personal tastes.
    Did I say that? LOL

  51. #51

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

    Add historical facts - ie, Old Spice was targeted to women, proved a flop, rerelased for men.... and became a success.
    The first Old Spice product was a fragrance called Early American Old Spice for women, introduced in 1937. Old Spice for men followed in 1938.
    Merlin is my Hero.....

  52. #52
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    To me there's a clear difference between male and female fragrances. I wear a bunch of ultra-sweet fragrances that many people say are unisex or even feminine, but to my nose there is a big difference in smells of male and female fragrances. Givenchy Pi is the one that I'd really call unisex though; my girlfriend was wearing a sample of Pure DKNY that i gave her and i thought she was wearing Pi.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    As for your main point, which i understand to mean that there are just some notes/structures that appeal to men or women and that the "women's" ones that men wear are essentially mens constructions, while I agree that there are some notes that people generally prefer, I'm not sure that I would agree with you there are only two reasons why men would buy a women's frag. You've said it's either because they're a collector so they just buy anything, or they're really buying a men's frag dressed by marketing as a lady's.

    There's also the question of the chicken and the egg. Do boys like blue because they've always been surrounded by blue and told blue is for boys and they should like it? Ie, do men like leather and vetiver scents (or whatever) because they can't get away from it? and women like roses because they're in every women's frag?


    I think that within a community like ours, we're more like art apreciators (?). Ie, when we run out of stuff that just smells nice, we start looking for things that smell interesting, or unique. An experience, a story, an expression of an abstract concept. I've bought some frags because
    1. I find them inherently interesting or unusual and I want to understand them further. Eg Black Orchid. It's polarizing. I'm fascinated and must own it and wear it to try and understand this beast. Do I inherently love the smell? I don't even know, nor do I care at this point. I'm looking for an interesting experience, not just to smell good. In that case I don't really care if it's mens or womens or if it even smells "good".
    2. It's meant to be feminine (eg Chanel no.5) and I feel like I can challenge my preconceptions about fragrance and gender in general by wearing it. It's almost a little thrilling to be test myself by wearing something I "should" be uncomfortable wearing because it's a floral or something.
    3. It's a "must own". I find I don't actually relate to many of Guerlain's frags. They're from a time past. But I know I should respect them and I have them since they are landmarks, whether male or female, they are the predecessors to many others.
    4. Maybe it just smells nice, so I buy it and wear it. If you told me Tabac was for women, i'd still probably get a bottle, just incase because it smells nice.


    and there's the point as mentioned that some are released as mens or womens and switched over time.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...


    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  54. #54

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post




    2. It's meant to be feminine (eg Chanel no.5) and I feel like I can challenge my preconceptions about fragrance and gender in general by wearing it. It's almost a little thrilling to be test myself by wearing something I "should" be uncomfortable wearing because it's a floral or something.

    And i applaud this, many people would put fear and pre conceived notions about how they smell to others before doing this, but a part of my point is maybe a large percentage of men would not do this, in terms of reasoning when buying a womens fragrance.

  55. #55

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    There's also the question of the chicken and the egg. Do boys like blue because they've always been surrounded by blue and told blue is for boys and they should like it? Ie, do men like leather and vetiver scents (or whatever) because they can't get away from it? and women like roses because they're in every women's frag?
    It's the "Nature versus nurture"-debate. At this point, I am fairly certain that both play a huge role. Of course socialisation is a huge factor in how humans live their gender roles but there's also a significant amount of 'hardcoded' information envolved. I tend to think that heredity outweighs socialisation.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    It's the "Nature versus nurture"-debate. At this point, I am fairly certain that both play a huge role. Of course socialisation is a huge factor in how humans live their gender roles but there's also a significant amount of 'hardcoded' information envolved. I tend to think that heredity outweighs socialisation.
    Yeah both do play a huge role, and I like you would like to think heredity wins, but i cant help but think if our western society was not so capitalistic would our views be different?

  57. #57

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    It's the "Nature versus nurture"-debate. At this point, I am fairly certain that both play a huge role. Of course socialisation is a huge factor in how humans live their gender roles but there's also a significant amount of 'hardcoded' information envolved. I tend to think that heredity outweighs socialisation.
    How is heredity relevant in a gender debate? If the argument is that men are inherently traditionally masculine and women inherently traditionally feminine, I feel that I have to point out that my heredity is exactly 50% masculine and 50% feminine, as is just about everybody else's...

    All that aside - this is all about cultural conceptions. Rose is culturally coded as a feminine note in contemporary Western perfumery, not so in Arabic perfumery, and not in Western perfumery 200 years ago. Trust your nose, wear what you like. Perfume is one of life's great sensual pleasures, it's there to be enjoyed, why limit yourself?

  58. #58

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    I think a blind test would be more useful.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...all-experiment

    You can try the same thing.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    As many experienced Basenoters correctly pointed out, long I before did, the masculine/feminine separation came very late, in comparison to the true age of perfume history from day one onwards and was initially there mainly for marketing purposes

    Besides, I do find myself all the time discovering truly masculine notes in e.g. Le Dix by Balenciaga, the female Opium by YSL or Ispahan by Yves Rocher

  60. #60

    Default Re: Male 'female fragrance wearers'......be honest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    As many experienced Basenoters correctly pointed out, long I before did, the masculine/feminine separation came very late, in comparison to the true age of perfume history from day one onwards and was initially there mainly for marketing purposes

    Besides, I do find myself all the time discovering truly masculine notes in e.g. Le Dix by Balenciaga, the female Opium by YSL or Ispahan by Yves Rocher
    The genderfication of scent is only about 100 years old or so. In the past, people (who could afford it, that is) just used fragrance--period.

    I agree with Ken that it's all marketing. Colour the bottle pink and it will sell to women; colour it dark blue, and it will sell to men.

    Case in point, I find Womanity very gender neutral. Of course, the juice is pale pink and the bottle covered in "artsy" decor, and the name has "woman" in it.

    Still, TRY the scent and use the nose to judge.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Similar Threads

  1. Men who wear women's fragrances
    By Sillage6 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 1st June 2009, 11:16 PM
  2. Perfume the Guide: Top ten Mens and Womens fragrances [preview]
    By zztopp in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 15th April 2008, 09:53 PM
  3. Confusion over Prada fragrances for men
    By dreamchaser in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th March 2008, 03:48 PM
  4. what is that in men fragrances?
    By Riccigirl in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th September 2006, 05:10 AM
  5. Strong and powdery fragrances for men
    By Sanzio in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30th September 2005, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000