Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

I heard Hermès femenine scent, Eau des Merveilles it's so "strange" or particular fragance that could men use (what kind of men? i don't know?), or at least, take the unisex role.

In this great site someone clasificated Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps as a "angelical" smell. Neither femenine or masculine fragance; without sex, like the angels. [smiley=smiley.gif]

So, what kind of rich, provocative, sophisticated women parfum could suit in the skin of an open-minded men?

(Sorry about the english... I dont speak it very much)
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

Default Re: Men wearing Women's Fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara
    So, what kind of rich, provocative, sophisticated women parfum could suit in the skin of an open-minded men?
    First off, welcome to basenotes. There are many womens' fragrances that can be worn by men. There are many unisex fragrances that can be worn by men and women. Restricting to 'womans' fragrances I would say (others will provide a lot more suggestions)

Prada
    Angelique Encens.
    Chanel Cuir De Russie
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Hi K,

What? Men wearing WOMENS fragrances! OUTRAGEOUS! I would NEVER wear a WOMANS fragances...well...errrr...except BANDIT (which I own)...but just BANDIT...and...well errr perhaps...KINGDOM (which I own)...yea...BANDIT and KINGDOM...but...that's it...BANDIT and KINGDOM and...well...perhaps if...if I owned TABAC BLOND or JICKY...I would wear that as well...but just BANDIT, KINGDOM and TABAC BLOND and/or JICKY. Oooh...well...perhaps...errr...Welcome to the MADNESS!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Welcome to the board. Where are you from, may I ask? Kakihara sounds Japanese... moshikashitara nihonjin desuka? dattara ureshii na~

As for men wearing "feminine" fragrances, sure, why not! If you feel comfortable wearing a fragrance, go for it!

Some of the "feminine" or "unisex" scents I like are:

Hermes Hiris
    Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee
    YSL Nu (EdP & EdT)
    Chanel #19
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Chanel Bois de Iles
    Guerlain Jicky
    Guerlain Mitsouko
    Bulgari Black

...and a whole bunch of Niche fragrances, most of which their companies don't even bother to label "masculine" or "feminine" because they leave it up to their customers to decide...

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

The big question is who determines what is a men's or women's fragrance? Would I defer my own taste to some corporate suit who may not know jacksh*t about fragrance, but says--we need a men's fragrance blah blah blah or a women's fragrance that is like some competitor company fragrance blah blah blah? Do I actually believe that they would know better than I what smells good on me? I'd have to be a pretty pathetic sheep to fall for that kind of commercial control, and I don't live that way. Only I decide what I like to wear on me; the labels are for people who are too timid or who have not yet bothered to educate themselves. Sorry for the rant; welcome to BN!

Ones I have are:
    Bandit EDP
    Miss Dior
    Diorella

There is something in most scents denominated as women's frags that I don't care for; I can't pin it down - might be an aldehydic-floral accord or something. And there are the women's frags which are hardcore floral that I just don't go for (although I do go nuts over carnation and sometimes rose).
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Ahem *none* cough...
    [smiley=wink.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

I own Black Cashmere by Donna Karan and Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. Black Cashmere is a spicy, smokey, subtly sweet brew while Kingdom is a boisterous concoction starring civet, cumin, rose, myrrh, citrus, vanilla, musk and sandalwood. Both can be easily worn by men. Just seeing how many male BaseNoters own these two is proof of that. Both have been discontinued by their respective houses. IMO, probably because most women found them to be too masculine smelling for their skin. Or at least, that assertion is based on how many SA's have told me of the two fragrance's sales numbers. They're both still out there...just takes a little looking!

Sorry, my nick was an ocurrence...I'm from Spain... [smiley=laugh.gif]

Totally agree with docluv45... if my own taste leads me to a femenine fragance that I feel interesting, attractive and sufficiently "masculine" (in my own way), why I had to say "no"?

Even in the graetest and creative art of the perfumes exists that kind of parameters? Yes, I know femenine fragances I'll never imagine wearing, but there's also a lot of them that can be very great!!

So, follow with the suggestions...
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

MANY of my favorite scents are women's or unisex scents already mentioned here. I just want to add my vote for

Bandit (Edp and Edt)
    Bulgari Black (marketed as unisex)
    Kingdom
    Jicky
    Comme des Garcons edp
    Black Cashmere
    Hermes Jardin Med (marketed as unisex)

And I *also* like some super masculine things like Yatagan, M7, Carven Vetiver and Bel Ami.

Eau d'Hermes is supposed to be unisex, I think, but I find it too femmy for me (kinda ironic, considering some of my favorites listed here). Or maybe I just don't like it.

Guys, if you try these, you'll probably be like "why did they ever think a guy wouldn't want to wear this?"

If you own it, and you're a guy, then it's a guy's scent. OK?

Have fun adventuring.

Dude, do youreself a great favor--discover the world of Bond No. 9.. Infinite possibilities, where gender is no issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    Dude, do youreself a great favor--discover the world of Bond No. 9.. Infinite possibilities, where gender is no issue at all.
    You *do* work for them, don't you!!

You *do* work for them, don't you!! *[/quote]

I sincerely wish I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm wearing Cacharel Amor Amor as we speak! I love scents that have that "rhubarby" note in them.

YUMSTERS!

Other faves

Kingdom
    Black Cashmere
    Red - Giorgio BH
    Vol Du Nuit
    Samsara

Loads more that I can't remember.

Go for it I say!

All I know is that I've been wishing they created a Men's version of Coco Mademoiselle--the scent drives me nuts (in good way!). I suppose they might call it Coco Pour Monsieur??? Men in France as I have read would buy Chanel No. 5 for themselves to wear--this scent in itself has elements that make it masculine as well, very much like the clothing made in this fashion house. In Ancient India, I read that men rubbed jasmine petals on themselves. People are correct here in this forum when they say there is no "gender" of a scent. Just what society dictates and what "sex" the fragrance is offered to.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#15 date=1123362719]Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif][/quote]

You're not wrong dude, I need to wash it off!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    [quote author=CoL link=1123107937/15#16 date=1123362931][quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#15 date=1123362719]Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...
    Me thinks that one is a tad on the girly side..... [smiley=undecided.gif][/quote]

You're not wrong dude, I need to wash it off!!![/quote]
    Go grab some Brut or other manly one that'll do the trick!

LOL

It does make me laugh though, peoples attitudes that is. Its particularly evident in Scotland (rather backward me thinks, I can say that being a Scot [smiley=rolleyes.gif])I remember on many occassions walking up to a fragrance counter and going to spritz a new LADIES scent. SA's start running and screaming "THATS A LADIES SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!" almost in slow motion, as if when it touches my skin, breasts will magically sprout from my chest. Jez [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#17 date=1123363497][quote author=CoL link=1123107937/15#16 date=1123362931][quote author=magnnum link=1123107937/15#15 date=1123362719]Whilst visiting my mum today, i dabbed my wrists and the nape of my neck with 5th avenue by Elizabeth Arden, smells nice but i'm not sure its for me...

You're not wrong dude, I need to wash it off!!![/quote]
    Go grab some Brut or other manly one that'll do the trick!

LOL

It does make me laugh though, peoples attitudes that is. Its particularly evident in Scotland (rather backward me thinks, I can say that being a Scot [smiley=rolleyes.gif])I remember on many occassions walking up to a fragrance counter and going to spritz a new LADIES scent. SA's start running and screaming "THATS A LADIES SCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!" almost in slow motion, as if when it touches my skin, breasts will magically sprout from my chest. Jez [smiley=rolleyes.gif][/quote]

lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sheesh, here in the good ol' U S of A ANY TIME I browse the men's fragrance counters I hear one of the following phrases:

"Is this for your boyfriend/dad/brother?"
    "Oh honey, that's a men's cologne, come over here & I'll show you some lovely women's fragrances"
    "You do know that's a men's cologne, right?"
    "I don't think that's right for you"

etc...
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Sheesh, here in the good ol' U S of A ANY TIME I browse the men's fragrance counters I hear one of the following phrases:

"Is this for your boyfriend/dad/brother?"
    "Oh honey, that's a men's cologne, come over here & I'll show you some lovely women's fragrances"
    "You do know that's a men's cologne, right?"
    "I don't think that's right for you"

etc...
    Thats hilarious!!!!! * I have gotten some funny lines and faces too. *Sometimes the sa's would walk away from me really fast after i told them i was looking at womens scents for me. *Others would contort their faces in ways you would think only an octupus could. * *Some sa's say "what does she usually wear"?????? * *or is this for your wife? *NO.....its for me. * LOL!!!!!! * *Now, though, so people can stay within their comfort level i respond by saying something like "She" usually wears Angel or Chanel 5. *Or its for my girlfriend. *Lately though, people have been saying to me "are you looking for mens or womens" then i'll say "whatever smells good". *then the sa will say *"is it for yourself or a girlfriend" *If we go through that exchange i'll say its for me. *It seems people can accept it better that way.
    Awesomeguy

I have worn unisex fragrances such as

Bvlgari The Blanc
    Bvlgari Black
    Burberry Baby Touch

I have worn Angel and I would wear Bvlgari Omnia since I dont think its more feminine than the unisex ones, and its very nice. It has that Bvlgari smell, with chocolate.

most of my perfumes are feminine, i think men's ones have no originality, except for the Dolce Gabbana pour homme, Gucci pour homme, M7 and Dior's Bois d'argent and Eau Noire...So i love NU- Yves Saint Laurent, Kingdom - Mc Queen, Prada, Madness - Chopard, Castelbajac EDP, Tabac Blond - Caron, Féminité du bois- Shiseido, Light Blue Dolce Gabbana,Costume National Scent Intense, L'Eau par Kenzo. And all the Serge Lutens unisex fragrance...because I agree with what he says: we are what we smell

This is one of those subjects that seems to come up alot.
    Eau des Merveilles, Brit Red, Bvlgari Blv and Blv Notte Feminine, Omnia by Bvlgari, All of the Bvlgari's except for Femme, Nu by YSL, Siselys Eau des Soir EdP, Black Cashmere, Jicky.....the list goes on and on and on.
    Many of the Creeds are unisex.....and many Bond No.9 scents.
    I noticed that someone mentioned Prada, and I agree. L'Occitane has many that can go either way. Bath and Body works aromatherapy line has scents that guys and gals can where. Many L'Artisan's, MpG's. OK...I'll stop,this could go on for a while.
    Gary

I would wear Bvlgari Blv for women. It smells as if you have just had a shower. Something powdery that is clean.

Silver Rain
    Opium for Women

I have worn both and received many compliments from women.

There was a thread up the other day about men wearing Angel.

I can recommend you explore feminine chypres and cuir scents of 50-70 years of XX century.
    Try this:
    Cabochard de Gres - very good leather, castoreum and some bitter flowers
    Jolie Madame Pierre Balmain - leather, violet, artemisia
    Diorella - barbarella
    Miss Dior - nice chypre
    Diorissimo

Doblis by Hermes - nice and soft leather
    Parfum d`Therese - formerly the unique perfume of Edmond Roudnitska wife, now the frag from Editions de Parfums de Frederik Malle
    Padparadshah de Satellite - like Gucci Rush for men, but with cade oil and incense
    etc., etc., etc...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    All I know is that I've been wishing they created a Men's version of Coco Mademoiselle--the scent drives me nuts (in good way!). *I suppose they might call it Coco Pour Monsieur??? *Men in France as I have read would buy Chanel No. 5 for themselves to wear--this scent in itself has elements that make it masculine as well, very much like the clothing made in this fashion house. *In Ancient India, I read that men rubbed jasmine petals on themselves. People are correct here in this forum when they say there is no "gender" of a scent. *Just what society dictates and what "sex" the fragrance is offered to.
    I agree, my mother wears this and its just amazing! if they could tweak it to make a mans version I dont think id ever buy anything else after that ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Great women's fragrances for men to wear

In return for the thread the other way I think some womens perfumes would smell good on men
    Paloma Picasso
    La perla
    Very valentino bought my husband this and was much later I found that I had bought the ladies version for him but he got loads of compliments LOL

Default Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

The list is very long and I'll miss some for sure so here are a few that I wear...
    1. Cartier's Kiss Of The Dragon
    2. Bvlgari Blv ( Fantastic ).
    3. Eau des Merveilles by Cartier ( Wonderful ).

Donna Karans Black Cashmere is one that I could wear.... Some may not agree with me on this one but I could wear Chance by Chanel.
    Kingdom by McQueen is one that comes to mind...this is just a few of many.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, definitely Black Cashmere and Paloma Picasso

I'd also suggest Aromatics Elixir, Eau de Sud, Eau de Ciel, Bijan, Narciso Rodriguez, Yohji, Ambre Sultan, Helmut Lang, Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica, Coty Chypre, Villoresi's Yerbamate, Gap Grass, Mitsouko, Perry Ellis 360 Degrees, Coco, Demeter's Dirt, Aliage, Youth Dew, POTL's Luctor et Emergo, Long Lost Perfume's Anarchy (their version of Chaos), and oh heavens lots 'n lots more. Several of these are unisex anyway.

Basically, whatever floats your boat - go for it

Post Thanks / Like

The fragrances that I wear which are classified as women's are:
    - Chanel Bois des Iles (both EDT and extrait)
    - Caron Tabac Blond extrait

Post Thanks / Like

Premier Figuier

and

Mat; Chocolat

are two that I use.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Nu by YSL????

Post Thanks / Like

as a teen, i wore must de cartier parfum and thought it was womderful. a few years ago i was wearing a lot of azzaro orange tonic. i like CdG white quite a bit, and have seen it classified as a woman's scent....

baald

Post Thanks / Like

Javanese Cananga Flower by I Coloniali - ylang ylang and amber, smooth and very sexy! Smells great layered with sandalwood, too.

Grenades by Keiko Mecheri - a dry pomegranate

Orange Leaves by L'Occitane - another sexy one (imo) nice for fall. Not sure if this is classified as women's, it could be unisex.

Lavender by L'Occitane - lavender, verbena, sage with a tinge of vanilla on the bottom. Again, could be unisex. I think it smells better on men.

Cool Re: Great women's fragrances for men to wear

I use often Angel, CGD Lily, Nilang, Diorissimo, Flower By Kenzo, Léau par Kenzo, Diorella, and Halloween.
    I have got loads of cumpliments.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

I can see a man wearing Samsara well.

I wear most of the "women's" scents that are on my wardrobe, from one time to the other, but i wear mostly men's scents more frequently...

Fragrances that seem unisex to me: Mitsouko, Samsara, L'Occitane Neroli, Gres Cabochard, Aromatics Elixir, Agent Provocateur, Cuir de Russie, Coty Wild Musk, Omnia, NR for Her, Prada, Angel, most of the Rosines, every Yardley scent, every Guerlain AA, every Serge Lutens and L'Artisan ever created (even Tubereuse), and The Body Shop's Patchouli, Japanese Musk, Lemon Tea, Woody Sandalwood, Cinnamon Spice, Cosy Cashmere. Also anything from the "Invent Your Scent" range.

I think anyone can wear a perfume regardless of which gender it's marketed towards because personal chemistry changes a scent. Also some perfume oils (Nemat) can be worn by anyone because there's no image attached to the product.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 21st February 2007 at 04:52 AM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post Thanks / Like

I second Nu edp and Narciso Rodriguez edt.....And maybe even Hypnotic Poison and Pure Poison.

I also want to add that No. 22 smells great on a man.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

There are so many. I am one who doesn't pay much attention to the male/female divide. Why not just dump him in Chanel 5 and get it over with.

Default Feminines that could work as Masculines?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any feminine fragrances that could be worn quite comfortably by a man.

I used to quite happily wear McQueen's Kingdom and was always complimented by women (not that I look for female compliments) when I wore it. I also adore Dior's Midnight Poison. The patchouli in this is pretty powerful.
    I've tried Chanel No. 19, and although I do like the smell, it doesn't suit me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Feminines that could work as Masculines?

Creeds Fleurs De Bulgari is amazing

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not telling you not to post your question, but I think there's like a 3-page thread of suggestions along this line. Regardless, there's nothing wrong with starting a new one.

Some of the feminines I've worn and find to very unisex:

Hermes Eau & Elixir de Merveilles, Hiris, Rose Ikebana

Dior Diorella, Eau Fraiche and Addict (heavy vanilla)

Chanel No.22, 5 Eau Premiere and Cristalle

Susanne Lang Cashmere (most of her fragrances border on unisex)

Many Bond 9s feminines are unisex (I'm wearing Nuits de Noho now)

Juliette Has a Gun Lady Vengence

Creed Vanisia (this is pretty feminine, but I love it)

Helmut Lang EdP

Guerlain Mitsouku
    Last edited by bbBD; 17th October 2008 at 02:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't worn it and have not tested it but I've heard many on here say D&G Light Blue...the female version is ten times better than the mens.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

There are so many - what effect are you going for?
    Fresh? Sultry? Unique? Subtle? Strong statement?

Post Thanks / Like

Ones that have worked for me...

Givenchy III
    Guerlain Mitsouko, Shalimar, Shalimar Light, Vol de Nuit, Parure, L'Heure Bleue...
    Cartier Baiser du Dragon
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Bulgari Jasmine Noir, Ominia
    Tom Ford White Pachouli, Black Orchid
    Gres Cabochard
    Patou 1000, Sublime
    Lancome Magie Noire
    Boucheron Jaipur, Jaipur Sappir
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit
    Y
    Hypnotic Poison...

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD
    I'm not telling you not to post your question, but I think there's like a 3-page thread of suggestions along this line. Regardless, there's nothing wrong with starting a new one.
    I searched but couldn't find it, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    There are so many - what effect are you going for?
    Fresh? Sultry? Unique? Subtle? Strong statement?
    I suppose I'm looking for something unique.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far - can't wait to try some out.

Post Thanks / Like

The jardins Mediteranee and Sur le Nil are marketed as femenine sents, but work for men IMO.
    Shalimar can be used by men.
    Opion for women is good too.
    Bodyshop White Musk.
    I liked Le Parfum de Thérèse
    Obsession Night for women.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the thread you were looking for Gblue:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=211862

I might add these to the list:
    Chamade (Guerlain)
    Must de Cartier (Cartier)
    Coco (Chanel) - Chanel calls this one an anti-floral because the floral components add tremendous richness but not the usual floral aromas. The base notes are tonka bean, patchouli, and opoponax. This is definitely an interesting one that men could wear. I have not worn it myself because I find it rather unemotional. Some men might consider this to be a good thing though.

I would like to add Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, alongside the allready mentioned ones.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Post Thanks / Like

Dior's Midnight Poison is kind of manly. As long as you can get past the grandma-smell factor of the flowers, you could get away with it.

Apres l'Ondee
    Arpege
    Rochas Femme
    Agent Provocateur Strip
    Cristalle Edt, not the EdP
    Y
    Maharanih
    Bal a Versailles
    Dune
    Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie
    Norell
    Youth Dew

Dune - good suggestion
    Kelly Caleche
    Alpona
    Bond Fire Island
    Philtre d Amour

Costume National's Scent intense

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)