Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,233

    Default SotD frustrations

    Perhaps I am more obsessive than most, but I do enjoy the daily ritual of reading the SotD section and seeing what people are wearing. Sometimes someone is trying something of which I have never heard, or something that I have been dying to try. It can be helpful to ask someone more about a fragrance if one knows someone has been wearing it. My frustration stems from the fact that I often wear the fem versions of fragrances, and since there are far more fem fragrances than masculine ones, I find it helpful, before I ask someone about a fragrance to know whether they are wearing the masculine or feminine version.

    In today's SotD, many of the fragrances listed appear to be the original feminine version from the way they are entered, although I suspect they are actually the male versions. Among those listed which are ambiguous are L'Instant de Guerlain, Jaipur, Lancome Miracle, Rive Gauche, Magnetism, Tommy Bahama, and Truth Calvin Klein. Are folks really wearing the fem versions that are so named? Cool! Or am I to assume that since it's "Male Fragrance Discussion" that they are always the masculine versions? If so, how should one distinguish that one is wearing the originally and correctly named feminine version? Ok, so I am a dork, but I have worn the fem versions of L'Instant, Jaipur, and Truth before and if I write those names here,without "pour Homme", "Homme" or "Men", I am wearing the fem versions, for the record.

  2. #2

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Whether it's the fem version or not that is being posted, people here wear what they like. *If you're interested in a particular fragrance, start a new post and inquire about it. *Most people here are more than helpful, and willing to share their experience with a particular fragrance.

    But usually, if someone is wearing the fem version of a particular version, they post it that way. *I would say the vast majority of the fragrances posted in the SOTD that have a fem version counterpart, are being listed as the male version ... unless otherwise noted.

  3. #3

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    The way I do it...I usually wear men's fragrances, so I'll post my SOTD on the men's fragrance board. If I happen to wear a female fragrance, I'll post my SOTD on the female fragrance board.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  4. #4

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Personally, I'd like to see the "masculine" and "feminine" SOTD threads merged, but I suppose that would mean an amalgamation of the two boards. [smiley=evil.gif]


  5. #5

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    I always assume that they were the men's versions unless stated otherwise.

    I always try to mention the whole name to not be ambiguous. But if I forget, rest assured that it is the men's version since I do not wear women's fragrances.

  6. #6

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Well, seeing as my SOTD was Lancome Miracle...I am wearing the men's version. If you were to look at my wardrobe (link displayed at the bottom of my post), you would see that I only own the men's version. If I am wearing a sample that isn't contained in my wardrobe, I would specify that it was a sample.

  7. #7

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Unless the poster states otherwise, I always assume they're referring to the masculine edition, especially given that it's in the male fragrance area. I'd make the opposite assumption in the feminine fragrance area.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

  8. #8

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    I totally agree with Octo, but until that day I'll stick to being specific about what I'm wearing in my SOTD posts.

  9. #9

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    I also totally agree with Octothorpe! I actually always specify if I'm wearing male or female version of a scent whenever may cause doubt and I think it would be necessary in case of merged threads.

  10. #10

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Being a newbie, I posted my SOTD to the female forum - Hanae Mori, never mind I'm sure I'll get the hang of it [smiley=smiley.gif]

  11. #11

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Whether it's the fem version or not that is being posted, people here wear what they like. *If you're interested in a particular fragrance, start a new post and inquire about it. *Most people here are more than helpful, and willing to share their experience with a particular fragrance.
    This seems a rather trite answer, condescending even in its triteness.

    But usually, if someone is wearing the fem version of a particular version, they post it that way. *I would say the vast majority of the fragrances posted in the SOTD that have a fem version counterpart, are being listed as the male version ... unless otherwise noted.
    Really? How do you conclude this? I see no basis for this conclusion.

    I share Docluv's frustration. *If someone posts "Jaipur" when they mean "Jaipur Homme" then their post is worthless, it would be easier and less misinforming to just type some random letters.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

  12. #12

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    I agree with Scentsei, but normally I specify between masculine or femenile edition.

  13. #13

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I share Docluv's frustration. *If someone posts "Jaipur" when they mean "Jaipur Homme" then their post is worthless, it would be easier and less misinforming to just type some random letters.
    It would be silly to post a feminine SOTD on the male scent board & a masculine SOTD on the female scent board. I also agree that it's safe to say if it's a post on the male scent board, it's to be assumed that it's the male fragrance unless otherwise specified. I could see your frustration if both threads were merged & people were not differentiating.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  14. #14

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    I never wear womens fragrances, so that makes the choice much easier. I'm assuming most scents ,mentioned on the mens board ,are the mens version ?

  15. #15

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Whether it's the fem version or not that is being posted, people here wear what they like. *If you're interested in a particular fragrance, start a new post and inquire about it. *Most people here are more than helpful, and willing to share their experience with a particular fragrance.
    This seems a rather trite answer, condescending even in its triteness.

    But usually, if someone is wearing the fem version of a particular version, they post it that way. *I would say the vast majority of the fragrances posted in the SOTD that have a fem version counterpart, are being listed as the male version ... unless otherwise noted.
    Really? How do you conclude this? I see no basis for this conclusion.

    I share Docluv's frustration. *If someone posts "Jaipur" when they mean "Jaipur Homme" then their post is worthless, it would be easier and less misinforming to just type some random letters.
    Are you friggin' kidding me Dcamp?? You're gonna launch a personal attack on me and my responses because you're having an 8 year old's "hissy fit" about people not posting whether or not they're SOTD is the male or female version???

    It's a friggin' MALE FRAGRANCE DISCUSSIONS SOTD thread evey day! If you need help, ask a 10 year old to explain it to you! My "conclusion" is based on reading the SOTD just about every day, and noticing when a fem version is used, it's noted ... as it would only make sense in a MALE FRAGRANCE SOTD thread.

    Furthermore, you're into your mid 300's in posts and NOW you're gonna piss and moan about this because SOMEONE ELSE posted about it??? You didn't have the intelligence or the balls to post it before if that's the way you felt?? Can you say "FOLLOWER???"

    We're all here to help each other and share in our experiences about a particular subject, in this case ... fragrances. Before you call someone else's posts "trite", "condescending", or "inconclusive" ... take a step back and look at yours. Who the HELL do you think that was helpful to?? Maybe only someone else as narrow minded as yourself!


    As to Docluv ... none of this was directed at you Bud. You started a post out of frustration and I think there are enough people here who will support you on this issue. I know I, for one, never wear female scents either... so all of my posts are true.

  16. #16
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,233

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    I appreciate the feedback. This is the discussion board I have been posting in the longest and I consider it my home board for fragrance. I always post my Sotd here no matter what the "official" sex of the fragrance is, because I really don't agree with deferring to some corporation about what is appropriate for me to wear--about a quarter of the fragrances I wear are officially feminine. I am hearing that some are very strict about wearing male scents or only posting male or unisex scents on this board; but there are many who cross the barrier as well; and of course that variety of styles is what makes the world go round. I do try to post fem SotD's on the fem board as well; but as anyone who posts there would notice, it is to date a much less frequented board than this one. In one sense, the SotD board is fairly meaningless anyway--what do I really care about what what some dude in Boston is wearing? It's the comraderie that leads me to post here rather faithfully, and just a bit of curiosity as to what people are REALLY wearing...

    Thanks!

    Colin

  17. #17

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Whether it's the fem version or not that is being posted, people here wear what they like. *If you're interested in a particular fragrance, start a new post and inquire about it. *Most people here are more than helpful, and willing to share their experience with a particular fragrance.
    This seems a rather trite answer, condescending even in its triteness.
    Yikes, if you thought that was condescending, you're not going to like my idea how to fix the problem. *


    Really? How do you conclude this? I see no basis for this conclusion.

    I share Docluv's frustration. *If someone posts "Jaipur" when they mean "Jaipur Homme" then their post is worthless, it would be easier and less misinforming to just type some random letters.
    Oh good lord, an arguement started over this?? *In order to avoid this in the future, I'll ask Grant to make a template with the following for SOTD posts:

    scent:
    gender aim (unless unisex in that case you need to flip a silver dollar to determine it's proper gender):
    perfumer:
    house:
    year:
    # of sprays
    bottle color:
    bottle shape:
    store bought at:
    * * if brick and mortar, clerk waited on by if applicable with gender and clothes worn by said SA:
    * * if etailer the web code used in the store front design
    date purchased in both standard and mayan calendars:
    estimated age of the bottle (in months):
    atomizer displacement in ml/s
    major stockholders in the house (if a public holding):
    type of credit card bought with (if applicable):
    glass density
    storage method

    There was no reason to start a pissing contest over this. *It's a fine suggestion to be more specific, but that's people's choice. *I'm sure that will probably will clarify some things, so maybe people can do that. *Calling that condescending though was unneeded.

  18. #18

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.





    Oh good lord, an arguement started over this?? *In order to avoid this in the future, I'll ask Grant to make a template with the following for SOTD posts:

    scent:
    gender aim (unless unisex in that case you need to flip a silver dollar to determine it's proper gender):
    perfumer:
    house:
    year:
    # of sprays
    bottle color:
    bottle shape:
    store bought at:
    * * if brick and mortar, clerk waited on by if applicable with gender and clothes worn by said SA:
    * * if etailer the web code used in the store front design
    date purchased in both standard and mayan calendars:
    estimated age of the bottle (in months):
    atomizer displacement in ml/s
    major stockholders in the house (if a public holding):
    type of credit card bought with (if applicable):
    glass density
    storage method
    Too funny. LOL [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  19. #19

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    [quote=Paul G.][quote author=dcampen link=1123023691/0#10 date=1123086149]
    scent:
    gender aim (unless unisex in that case you need to flip a silver dollar to determine it's proper gender):
    perfumer:
    house:
    year:
    # of sprays
    bottle color:
    bottle shape:
    store bought at:
    if brick and mortar, clerk waited on by if applicable with gender and clothes worn by said SA:
    if etailer the web code used in the store front design
    date purchased in both standard and mayan calendars:
    estimated age of the bottle (in months):
    atomizer displacement in ml/s
    major stockholders in the house (if a public holding):
    type of credit card bought with (if applicable):
    glass density
    storage method
    This is *great*!!! We also need to conduct a genome map of everyone here to determine the exact locus which determines male vs. female scent preferences, because that *has* to be biological, right? Yeesh, I'd hate to have a system whereupon a heterosexual male actually *admits* that he enjoys female fragrances, without any scientific explanation.

    [/sarcasm]


  20. #20

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    [quote=Paul G.][quote author=dcampen link=1123023691/0#10 date=1123086149]

    There was no reason to start a pissing contest over this. *It's a fine suggestion to be more specific, but that's people's choice. *I'm sure that will probably will clarify some things, so maybe people can do that. *Calling that condescending though was unneeded.
    Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to start a pissing contest ... and I don't think it's going to go that way anyway. My post was because of the way my first one was responded to. *

    We're all here to help, and be helped. *And to share and learn about something we all have in common, and interest in fragrance. *I made an innocent attempt to give a helpful response to a fellow member's concern, and was spoken (typed) down to by a fellow member for doing this.

    Not gonna stand for that ... ever.

  21. #21

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    [quote author=Paul G. link=1123023691/15#16 date=1123126217][quote author=dcampen link=1123023691/0#10 date=1123086149]

    There was no reason to start a pissing contest over this. *It's a fine suggestion to be more specific, but that's people's choice. *I'm sure that will probably will clarify some things, so maybe people can do that. *Calling that condescending though was unneeded.
    Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to start a pissing contest ... and I don't think it's going to go that way anyway. My post was because of the way my first one was responded to. *
    It became one as soon as someone else started calling others condescending and the tone became heated. It wasn't your post that upset me, just to clarify.

  22. #22

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    Oh good lord, an arguement started over this?? In order to avoid this in the future, I'll ask Grant to make a template with the following for SOTD posts:

    scent:
    gender aim (unless unisex in that case you need to flip a silver dollar to determine it's proper gender):
    perfumer:
    house:
    year:
    # of sprays
    bottle color:
    bottle shape:
    store bought at:
    if brick and mortar, clerk waited on by if applicable with gender and clothes worn by said SA:
    if etailer the web code used in the store front design
    date purchased in both standard and mayan calendars:
    estimated age of the bottle (in months):
    atomizer displacement in ml/s
    major stockholders in the house (if a public holding):
    type of credit card bought with (if applicable):
    glass density
    storage method
    This template would be woefully incomplete without some sort of gas chromatograph reading of each poster's SOTD (e.g. to establish old v. new Guerlain Vetiver).

    [smiley=wink.gif]
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

  23. #23

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    [quote author=dcampen link=1123023691/0#10 date=1123086149]
    Whether it's the fem version or not that is being posted, people here wear what they like. *If you're interested in a particular fragrance, start a new post and inquire about it. *Most people here are more than helpful, and willing to share their experience with a particular fragrance.
    This seems a rather trite answer, condescending even in its triteness.
    Yikes, if you thought that was condescending, you're not going to like my idea how to fix the problem. *


    Really? How do you conclude this? I see no basis for this conclusion.

    I share Docluv's frustration. *If someone posts "Jaipur" when they mean "Jaipur Homme" then their post is worthless, it would be easier and less misinforming to just type some random letters.

    SOTD posts:

    scent:
    gender aim (unless unisex in that case you need to flip a silver dollar to determine it's proper gender):
    perfumer:
    house:
    year:
    # of sprays
    bottle color:
    bottle shape:
    store bought at:
    * * if brick and mortar, clerk waited on by if applicable with gender and clothes worn by said SA:
    * * if etailer the web code used in the store front design
    date purchased in both standard and mayan calendars:
    estimated age of the bottle (in months):
    atomizer displacement in ml/s
    major stockholders in the house (if a public holding):
    type of credit card bought with (if applicable):
    glass density
    storage method

    [/quote]
    Paul I think you have also missed the most important point to this template.

    What was your aim by applying said male/female fragrance? If applying scent marketed to opposite sex was this infact an aim to

    A) To begin to release the desire to "cross scent" because you want to appear more like the opposite sex?
    B) Because your "gay" out or not (or infact a small attempt at "coming out&quot?
    C) Because its rumoured that if your are male and wear a female scent you may in fact sprout breasts?
    D) Because it "smelled nice" and a break down of the individuals meaning of such


    Col

  24. #24

    Default Re: SotD frustrations

    Quote Originally Posted by CoL

    C) Because its rumoured that if your are male and wear a female scent you may in fact sprout breasts?

    Col
    [smiley=grin.gif]

    Oh boy, if this were true, I'd tote a bottle of perfume with me at all times and just spray people with it, just for kicks!

    Chanel No. 5, of course, a girlier scent in hopes of bigger breasts.

    ~Silk

Similar Threads

  1. SOTD: Thursday 21 September 2006
    By wicozani in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 22nd September 2006, 04:10 PM
  2. Poll: Do you read the SOTD posts
    By Lightninrod in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 13th July 2006, 12:15 AM
  3. SOTD date format
    By CoL in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th August 2005, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •