Code of Conduct

Default I felt bad for this guy and his signature scent.

A week ago I went to have a few drinks at a dive-y kind of VFW hall, where a friend of mine works. Don't ask - I have to get back to my small town roots every so often, though I stick out like a sore thumb with my crazy hair and clothing, in a room full of NASCAR fans, but people are cool to me.

Anyway, I see this old guy a few stools down. *Navy tattoos, very familiar looking. *DAMN where do I know this guy from? It was killing me, KILLING me. After about 5 minutes, he stood up and and I got this LOUD, unmistakeable blast of Old Spice, I mean LOUD!!! *Then suddenly I remembered this guy's name, the car he drove, and everything. *I used to work at a video store in that town about 5 years ago and this guy used to come in there, F*CKING REEEEEEEEKING of Old Spice. *When we saw his little white car pull up, we were like, "here he comes guys, hold your breath!" *Every day without fail, if you were looking at this guy, you were smelling Old Spice.

I felt really bad for him because he was a WWII vet sitting at the bar in a VFW trying to tell war stories and none of the younger people around him would listen.

Probably because he was killing them with old Spice!

Default Re: I felt bad for this guy and his signature scen

I felt really bad for him because he was a WWII vet sitting at the bar in a VFW trying to tell war stories and none of the younger people around him would listen.

Probably because he was killing them with old Spice!
    I doubt that the Old Spice had anything to do with that.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

One of my friends reeks of old spice but he does not wear fragrance of any kind that's "Fag"rance to him..... it that darn Old Spice RED ZONE deodorant.

That stuff is so powerful no wonder it lasts 8hours.

Man, now I feel bad for the old guy too! [smiley=sad.gif] Maybe you should say "hi" and give him a chance to tell one story?

(I'm a sucker for old people. If I had a dime for every long story I've been sucked into I'd be a millionaire.)
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Was there a fire hose around there?

All I could remember about Old Spice was how much I had detested it as I came of age in the fifties. Then I saw it win the big award here on Basenotes a few years back so while wandering through one of those big discount stores I picked up the box and slid the white conical bottle out, pulled the gray stopper and it splashed over my hands. YIKES! Unbelievably nasty. Worse even than I recalled. I couldn't get to the mens room fast enough. Scrub a dub dub and it wouldn't come off.

These men that refer to fragrance as "fag"rance have issues for sure. There is nothing wrong with smelling good. There is nothing fag about fragrance. It is a shame that people must feel this way. If this is the way that many feel, why is Old Spice Ok and everything else is "fag"rance? Just a thought.
    I feel sorry for the WWII vet myself. I can hear my wife now", Come on honey, we don't have time for stories today". There is no way that I could turn my back on a veteran......No Way..... I'm there for another hour for sure.....Old Spice and all.
    Gary

I don't understand why someone would refer to a guy wearing a men's fragrance as wearing a "fag"rance. Old Spice is my favorite scent, but I certainly don't think my Boucheron Pour Homme, Versace L'homme, Pasha, Paco Rabanne etc. are any less masculine. I find that Old Spice is sweeter than these.

I don't think that Old Spice is the problem with the older gentleman. I think it is the amount he puts on since it is very powerful and long lasting.

I always use it sparingly and I get compliments from ladies when I wear Old Spice.

I do believe that the problem with Old Spice is the amount that is splashed on. I agree with Mike from Manhattan.
    My Son aksed me what I was wearing when I 1st sprayed my Jaipur Pour Homme. He thought for a second that I had used Old Spice.
    Old Spice is still good juice. I think that older men using half of the bottle has given this classic a bad rap. I do believe that it could be better if sprayed. That would balance out the application and make this scent more appealing. This is one of those less is better scents and would solve a big problem I do believe.
    Gary

I agree regarding Old Spice--I still dig it, as long as it's used in moderation.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I love the smell of old spice on guys! I mean, there are definitely scents that I like more, and old spice does seem to show a little lack of originality, but purely smellwise, it's great. Very manly and sexy. Perfect for a younger man who wants to pull off that rugged oldfashioned cowboy or outdoorsman style.

~Silk

There was this other one winning the world after the war: green and just as strong. I think it was simply called Palmolive. Great, clean, plush smell for Europe then (and I am serious)! But whenever I think 'American scents' Old Spice and some Procter & Gamble detergent come into my nose. Oh, plus Wrighleys mint, of course.

Can you imagine Tabac Original by M&W as the German answer to Old Spice? I believe, that was the intention, bottle and all. No copy, just something spicy, manly and sweet, and completelely off the 4711 alley.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Another Old Spice fan here. This stuff brings me back to my childhood, when my dad used to slap some Old Spice on after shaving, and then joking smack some on my cheeks

This is one of my "guilty pleasures" scents, that I wear once in a while when I'm just heading out to the grocery store or something similar. It is funny that it truly does ellicit such positive responses, in a world of expensive aquatic designer fragrances. One just needs to head to the local drugstore and drop 8 bucks for a decent cologne.

BTW, for those interested, they do sell Old Spice in a 2.5 oz. spray bottle. This was unbeknownst to me until recently.

#

I wasn't sure if there was a spray available in this scent. That spray would be the way that I would go with out a doubt.
    English Leather and British Sterling were 2 scents that my Dad used, along with Old Spice, and Brut 33 was worn by my Uncle....... Memories.....Wow......Priceless.
    Gary

Talking back about my "FAG"rance friend I too think he is idiot! *He does not wear cologne at all Period! *He does those Red Zone deoderant sticks from Old Spice which pretty much act like colonge they are so fricking strong.

There is nothing wrong with guys wearing colonge it is totally acceptable now a days and younger at age 11 start wearing it for the gals.

My friend is old school which the knowledge must have been handed down by his father...that its all right for a man to cover his BO pits but nothing elses. *idiots!