Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger

I tested Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger from a sample today, and I gotta say I have mixed feelings about it.

When I first sprayed it, once to the chest and once to the wrist, it smelled divine out of the air. Definitely deep and rich as people had mentioned before. I could really smell the jasmine, too, and it added beautifully to the orange flower. Jasmine's one of those flowers that's like a perfume in and of itself, with a distinct evolution from top, middle, to base. It's starts off with an almost sharp, exotic and intoxicating note that did wonders to bring depth and complexity to the beautiful and pure, but almost too pure scent of orange flower. Gaaah, I was in love. The rose, too was there, albeit lightly but more smoothly.

Then, I sniffed my wrist.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention this before, nor is it listed anywhere in the notes, but I smelled a strong and distinct note of peach. Not overpowering, but very very present, strong, sweet, and...fruity . The orange flower is still there, but the rose and jasmine while still existent were barely detectable to my nose. What I smell seems to have simplified itself to 40% peach, and 60% orange flower, with just a smattering of *other* that I can't even distinguish completely anymore. And I know, to the untrained nose, ie most people, I will smell pretty much just peachy. They'll smell the orange flower, but won't be able to put a name to it, and so they'll just think “peachy”. *Sigh*

After an hour, the peach faded as top notes are wont to do. However, the jasmine as well is completely gone. The rose is faintly there, if you pay close attention. What's left is simply orange flower, straight, pure, and light. Too light. A beautiful smell, but it lacks complexity and, by itself, is simply not me. Nor does it justify a Serge Lutens price. I feel that I'm better off just taking my orange flower absolute, cutting it with carrier oil, and wearing it as a single note perfume. And I had such high hopes for this one, since the only complaints I'd read were that it was too heavy or deep or powerful.

I'll give it a few more spins before I reach my final verdict, but outlook is sadly disappointing.

I'd love to know what everyone else thinks about it, as well. Please?

~Silk and Steel

Default Re: Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger

You did an excellant job at describing it. It sounds like the type of scent that is right up my alley. I'll have to look into getting it. Thanks
    Awesomeguy

I was disappointed with this one also. I sampled this a while back along with the other citrus one (Fleurs d'Citronier I think) and, while the Oranger was a bit better, I didn't like either. I thought the topnotes were great also, but the drydown didn't do anything for me. Had a very "perfumey" or "old lady" scent to me.

I would never pay those prices for this one. The only 2 SL's I've found worth the price are Datura Noir and Daim Blond.

[blue]Nice break down of the development of this fragrance SilkandSteel; I am afraid I have to agree with you on this one. Multiple wearings of this illicited the following notes in my scent journal:

Serge Lutens *Fleurs d'Oranger*: A very strong, overwhelming, if not beguiling, neroli note. True to the name of the fragrance, at least, but will not please if you’re looking for more than a neroli note.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

With Serge Lutens it's not always because something is called Fleurs d'Oranger that it smells automatically of orange flower extract. Another good example is the new Cedre which smells as much of ceder as of tuberose and prune.

Hmmm...Does anyone smell that strong peach note, though?

Thanks for your opinions, glad to know I'm not the only one.

~Silk

Great review. The jasmine opening is phenomenal, much like the beauty of Lily in Un Lys. Neroli is such a overused and boring note that it would be really shameful if that was the only floral in this fragrance. I will comment on the peach part though - I am on the fence on this one. One part really thinks this is honey, cinnamon and flowers giving a sweet/floral accord. On the other there might indeed be a fruity note hidden here. I am inclined to the first view, because Lutens seems to put honey everywhere. Maybe he has a vat of honey he needs to use up [smiley=grin.gif]. Otherwise, delightful summer floral fragrance from Serge Lutens. One of the more wearable ones from the house.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkandSteel
    Hmmm...Does anyone smell that strong peach note, though?
    I've sampled Fleurs d'Oranger so many times in the last couple of years and yet I can't say I recall a peach note. I'll sample it again when I get a chance because I'd love to see if I find the peach. I seriously don't get much more than tuberose with this one. Not a creamy, smooth Fracasesque tuberose, but something quite raw or rough. But, as I said, I'll sample again.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkandSteel View Post
    I tested Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger from a sample today, and I gotta say I have mixed feelings about it.

When I first sprayed it, once to the chest and once to the wrist, it smelled divine out of the air. Definitely deep and rich as people had mentioned before. I could really smell the jasmine, too, and it added beautifully to the orange flower. Jasmine's one of those flowers that's like a perfume in and of itself, with a distinct evolution from top, middle, to base. It's starts off with an almost sharp, exotic and intoxicating note that did wonders to bring depth and complexity to the beautiful and pure, but almost too pure scent of orange flower. Gaaah, I was in love. The rose, too was there, albeit lightly but more smoothly.

Then, I sniffed my wrist.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention this before, nor is it listed anywhere in the notes, but I smelled a strong and distinct note of peach. Not overpowering, but very very present, strong, sweet, and...fruity . The orange flower is still there, but the rose and jasmine while still existent were barely detectable to my nose. What I smell seems to have simplified itself to 40% peach, and 60% orange flower, with just a smattering of *other* that I can't even distinguish completely anymore. And I know, to the untrained nose, ie most people, I will smell pretty much just peachy. They'll smell the orange flower, but won't be able to put a name to it, and so they'll just think “peachy”. *Sigh*
    I get a strong peach with my other orange blossom perfume, and I do detect a trace of it here as well. SL's one doesn't come across as sickeningly sweet though it is on the sweet side. In the dry down I get a very prominent orange flower soliflore so I am very happy with this. The weakness on your skin might be due to skin chemistry.
    ~~~~ www.nascio.com.au ~~~~