Code of Conduct

Default Short reviews of 50 frags...and a few questions

Hello all,

When I started this adventure several months ago, I didn’t really know where it would take me. Well, like anything else, I have experienced more failure than success. I started with five blind full bottle purchases. They were Creed Tabarome, Pasha, Cerutti Image, Amen, and Le Male. The Amen and Le male were disasters and were swapped immediately. However, my top three remain Tabarome, Pasha, and Image. I have come full circle. My only previous experience was with Obsession. It is classified as an oriental so that is what I gravitated towards. I know now that it is only an oriental with a little O. Hence, many failures. I have outgrown Obsession since then but it helped me get acquainted with my fragrance palette. Some things I now know are I despise powder. I don’t get along with vetivers or florals and I love musk. So without further ado, here are my experiments in brief.

Lagerfield – The most intense pungient powder finish I have ever encountered. Smelt like Bayor asprin. Absolutley wretched. Nausiating. Washed it off!

CoolWater – Sour rotten fruit. Sharp, sickeningly sweet. Washed it off!

Opium – Wanted to like it. Spicy vanilla. Lasted one and a half hours. Flat. Awkward. No good.

Keoros – Sharp baby powder. ‘Nuff said!

Chanel Egoiste – Floral. Fem. Light. Good frag for women. Smelled like #5 on me!

Jaipur – Le Male lite, and not very lite at that. Had that too familier rotten vanilla stab. No good.

Mediteranium – Rotten citris Hai Karate. Nausiating.

Guerlain Vetiver – Sharp lemon bottoming out into COMPOST! Evil. Incinerate this!

D&G – Too lemony then too cedery. Well made frag but boring.

Sexual – Another sour oriental. Same sharp note as Juiper but not as intense. Washed it off. No good.

Chanel Allure – Yet another oriental that sours. God, make it stop!

Hermes orange – lovely but lasts about twenty minutes. (cologne strength)

Hermes mediteranian – salty grapefruit, not much longer lasting (toilete strength) Fun frag

Lolita – OUZO! LOPA! Save the mini for the Greek festival!

Eau Savage – Beautiful scent. One of the few cirises I like but lasts about an hour. Too bad.

Aqua di gio – typical aquatic. Citrus, etc. Don’t care for it of course. addendum - on second thought the musk makes it appealing. Give it a wrirl. On third thought, nice but doesn’t last. Why bother?

Obsession Night – Obsession Lite. Almost like a gourmand, I get a vanilla-coconut-carmel drydown. Rather yummy. Me like! Longevity problem, though.

Armani Mania – Subtle little oriental. Very pretty top notes. Descent reaction at work but, alas, it lasts two Hours. Too bad. Outta here!

Very sexy for him – that same sharp oriental nauseating drydown. Revisit this? I doubt it. Outta here!

Givenchy Gentleman – Smells lifeless and very “gentlemanly” i.e. FEM. It’s the patuli! Outta here!

Bora! Bora! For men – sour oriental. Godawful. Outta here!

Mambo – white pepper, alternates between exotic and annoying. Outta here!

Escada – Patuli dominate. Like Givenchy. I kind of want to like this but had better stay away from it. Pity.

Hugo – Aquatic, so outta here!

Royal Copenhagan – Dries down to a lighter version of Lagerfield. POWDER! Ah! Outta here!

Joseph Abboud – interesting little frag. Kind of a mapley peppery drydown. Not a keeper.

Plush by FUBU – reminds me of Bora! Bora! Badda! Badda! Outta outta here!

Baldessarini (Hugo Boss) – just another oriental with that putrid drydown. Dissapointed.

Devine Bergamole (The Different Company) – pretty frag. Kind of remeinds me of Hermes Mediteranian but lasts longer than ten minutes. Had a “pledge” kind of drydown I didn’t care for.

ETRO Sandalo – definitely got the sandalwood down. Reminicsent of Gucci Rush to me but lasts a lot longer than an hour. Well made frag.

Tiffany’s – dissapointed. Powder! Like Lagerfield but not as pungient. Some sandalwood appearant but powder still dominates. Too bad. Classy though!

Boucheron – I mean no disrespect but…pledge. Cheap air freshiner on me. Too bad

Drakkar – Good old Drakkar. I felt the need to visit this classic. Definatly a fougere, has a shaving cream kind of drydown. It remeinds me of certain people, and that aint good. Acid washed jeans, thin ties, and junk bonds. It is a victim of its own success.

Gucci pour homme – goes on like barbeque sauce then dries down to smoldering ceder. A wonderful, sensual fragrance in itself, but not what I want to smell like. Good lasting power.

Gucci Rush – this one doesn’t even try to be anything but ceder. Is there a point?

Gucci Envy – the addition of the incense is nice but again it dries down to a singular ceder on me. Too bad.

Romance Silver – subtle oriental, almost aquatic in some notes. Same sour vanilic drydown. Kind of a nice little frag but not really me. Hi Ho Silver…Awwwwaaaaaayyyyy!

Armani Black Code – A nice creamy more subtle but long lasting oriental. Of course, it still has that putrid drydown. Is it the tonka bean? Well made frag though.

Burberry Brit – pretty frag. A subtle oriental but the rose note is dominate on me and I found it too fem. Very well made frag though and I understand its popularity.

Bijan – goes on nicely but dries down to a powdery lemon. Reminds me of Lagerfield in a bad way. Also smells kind of stale.

The Dreamer – smells just like Le Male. Bad, very bad…

Ricci Club – uh,oh. Powder rears its ugly head…

Worth Pour Homme – kind of a spicy plum thing going on. Smells a bit stale though and a bit too much spice for me.

Jean Patou pour homme – identical to Boucheron to me, meaning bad. Got a rotten lemon peel thing going. Bad sample?

HOT Always – beautiful top notes but powder, powder, powder on the dry down. Too bad.

Lornzo Villoresi Vetiver – Me and vetiver don’t get along. This is a smooth and well made vetiver, on par with Creed and superior to Guerlain but it still gives me a headache.

Comme des Garçons 2 – started off like grape then ended very floral. Beautiful and well made scent but has got to be the most feminine fragrance I have ever tried. Can’t pull this one off.

Geurlin Heratage – A bit too much insense and patchouli for me.

Penhaligon’s LP No. 9 – Spicy vanilla. Reminds me of Opium only much better. I enjoy this one but is not really a keeper.

Piper Nigrum – This is the forum’s darling and it is an intriguing frag. The well lauded evolution never happened for me. It stays a singular black pepper on me.

So where did I go wrong? Or more specifically, where did I go right? What do my top three have in common? Is it musk? Where should I go from here, if anywhere? Thanks for the daily information. I love the forum.

Duke

Default Re: Short reviews of 50 frags...and a few question

You found Givenchy Gentleman FEMININE????
    And Kuoros smells like baby powder?????

The rest of your comments are great! Short but succinct and informative!(though I'd prefer reading page long reviews!)

Dude, you are a hard man to please!

Enjoyed reading your reviews though.

I think you have one sour olfactory neuron going off like a fire alarm! So many fragrances dubbed "sour" and moved on...I honestly don't think that I've ever smelled that sourness on any of the scents you mentioned that I've smelled!

Out of curiosity, what is it that you LIKED about your favorites, they seem like the only ones you didn't give a review of.

Thanks for the reviews, though. You sure have done your research!

~Silk

Hmm. :exclamation

P.S. Does anyone here see "frags" and immediately think fps? Or is it just me.

*hangs her head in geek shame* [smiley=huh.gif]

Hermes Eau d' Orange should go out too!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkandSteel

Hehe yes, that concept does enter my mind when I see "frags." The more frags the better, whether it be here or on the electronic battlefield, right?

Hold your head high! Be proud of your geekdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    So where did I go wrong? Or more specifically, where did I go right?
    My advice would be to stick with prescription only from now on.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter
    [quote author=Duke link=1123289491/0#0 date=1123289490]So where did I go wrong? Or more specifically, where did I go right?
    My advice would be to stick with prescription only from now on.[/quote]

Yikes, I was thinking the same thing! I'm glad Pieter had the nerve to say it. Do you have anything **positive** to say about anything, Duke? And in what time frame *on your own skin* did you come to your conclusions about these fragrances? Let us know which fragrances you like!! Enquiring minds want to know

hey DUKE, dont waste your time...

and MAKE YOUR OWN FRAGANCE ! ! !! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Thanks for the feedback. All comments are well deserved.

“You found Givenchy Gentleman FEMININE????
    And Kuoros smells like baby powder?????”

Actually, yes and yes. I don’t get it either. I know Gentleman is considered one of the most macho frags on the board but it is not what I would wear while playing Quake. The traditional fragrance to wear to a LAN party is Doritos on the chest and Mountain Dew on the wrists. I think Gentleman might have got its reputation based on the “volume” of the frag. It is certainly in your face and lasts but it remains on me a wallop of patuli which I associate with hippie chicks. I love hippie chicks, mind you, but I don’t want to smell like one.
    As for Kuoros, I loved the top notes. They were just beautiful, especially the figs. I used to spray it on again just to enjoy them but my goofy skin defeated even this muscular frag and reduced it to simply powder. I think I must be a walking diaper. How and why my skin does this is a mystery. I am not a Kuoros basher! I really wanted to like it. I didn’t get that “urine cake” thing that I have read about. It wasn’t offensive, it just didn’t follow through with its promise. I would have loved to be in the “love it” camp on this one.

“I think you have one sour olfactory neuron going off like a fire alarm! So many fragrances dubbed "sour" and moved on...I honestly don't think that I've ever smelled that sourness on any of the scents you mentioned that I've smelled!”

I agree. I think I used “sour” more than any other adjective. I am still trying to figure it out and hope you guys might have some insight. What is that god-awful note common in orientals? It is like some sort of rotten vanilla. Is it tonka? Or maybe sandlewood? Le Male was the worst offender but Sexual came in a close second. Citrus’s also soured on me. And vetivers did as well. The citrus started off so lovely but then smelt like a compost. I am forced to stay away from these though I do enjoy them.

“Hmm.”

Hmm.

“My advice would be to stick with prescription only from now on.”
    “Yikes, I was thinking the same thing! I'm glad Pieter had the nerve to say it. Do you have anything **positive** to say about anything, Duke? And in what time frame *on your own skin* did you come to your conclusions about these fragrances?”

Ha! Actually, Prozac has some lovely heart notes. I really didn’t mean for it to come off so negatively though I know it did. I swear I am a positive person. I think it is actually unfortunate that I had such great success right off the bat. After scoring such winners I thought it would be easy. It was so disappointing to experience one disaster after another. I tested each for a whole day to three depending on how much of a sample I had. I wanted to give them all a fair shake. That is why these reviews have been several months in the making. One fragrance I didn’t bother to include was Herrera for Men. I just know I want it and am hoping to score a bottle in a swap.

So now I get to be positive for a change…

Tabarome – The King. Sixcats knows what he is talking about. This is frag number one for me. I wish I could do justice to how gorgeous this one is. It is class in a bottle but yet not stuffy. There is something “hot” in there that makes mine and others blood boil. I think it might be ginger. This is a masterpiece. I would love to break the notes down but it is difficult. I consider it a whole experience. It is a blend that defies description.

Pasha – My second in command. This one has its detractors on the board but I think it is masterful. It somehow manages to be classy but “dirty” at the same time. In other words, it smells like (ehem) sex. The mint and spice lie together in bed. What a beautiful and useful dichotomy. I imagine this is what Patrick Bateman would smell like. A veneer of class and sophistication with darkness and evil just beneath. (“Bateman, is that a raincoat you’re wearing?”) When class alone is too stuffy and pure sexuality too crude, this is the best that both have to offer. I can’t imagine being without this frag.

Finally, good ol’ Image – This one is like the rebellious offspring of the top two. It seems to have elements of both but just doesn’t care enough to show it off. It is in no way pretentious. It has a job to do and does it. I get a black pepper note I adore and the juniper seems to jump out also. It is perfect to wear to get noticed but not have to deal with the bold statements of the previous two. This one is like a good friend.

There. That wasn’t so bad was it? But my question still stands. Aside from my love for each, what do they have in common? I think it might be the inclusion of musk but I am still unsure. If I knew, it would give me some direction. Right now, all I know is what to stay away from.

There are a few frags I am intrigued with I would like feedback on based on my likes and dislikes.

Farenheit
    Antaeus
    Miyake L'EAU D'ISSEY
    Ambre Sultan
    Le Dandy
    Philosykos

Thanks for all the comments. This is really fun.

Duke

LOL that's one LONG reply!
    I guess you found Givenchy Gentleman feminine because of how similar it is to Clinique Aromatics Elixir.
    That awful note you're talking about might be tonka bean. It smells a wee-bit rubbery sometimes in some frags.

Maybe you're not giving the frags enough time, so most of them smell "sour" to you. You really have to wait for it to settle!

Your reviews show that everybody's taste is her/his own and there is no way to give suggestions about anything, much less fragrances. That is why I always refrain from playing this kind of game.

On the negative side: if you like so much Pasha, I think you WON'T want to essay other Cartiers like Must or Santos. They share a common amber base, but they got vanilla, so it's a no go. Miyake is a vanishing citrus like Acqua di Giò, so DON'T bother. Pasha LOOKS like sex, since its bottle it's shaped like a phallus. Other than than I wouldn't know...

P.S. Does anyone here see "frags" and immediately think fps? *Or is it just me.

Unreal Tournament geek right here, so of course I think of frags as kills. I even have the Ubergamer t-shirt, which reads "He who has the most frags when he dies, wins".

It is even more appropriate in this thread since most of the fragrances were fragged by Duke...which of course reminds me of Duke NukEm...okay, I'll stop now.

There are a few frags I am intrigued with I would like feedback on based on my likes and dislikes.

Farenheit
    Antaeus
    Miyake L'EAU D'ISSEY
    Ambre Sultan
    Le Dandy
    Philosykos
    I can't comment based on your reviews, since how I see a fragrance and you see one will be different, but here are my perceptions of the above ones that I'm familiar with.

Fahrenheit - I detect this sort of gasoline note in this one, which I have no idea where that comes from, but it is almost as if a leather jacket has been soaking in gas, then set ablaze and quickly put out. I dig this and love wearing it in the fall and winter.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme - Bitter aquatic. I like it, but prefer Inis since the bitterness isn't as pronounced.

Philosykos - Coconut and green figs. I think I remember reading that fig leaves actual smell of coconut. Very simple and linear scent that works well for me.

I don't know any of the others well enough to comment on them.

A veneer of class and sophistication with darkness and evil just beneath.
    Sounds like Antaeus could be for you!
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Same here. [smiley=grin.gif]
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Great Post!!!!! And I do not agree with many of your reviews, but this is what makes fragrance so fun and personal.
    I must say that the sour note or what ever you could call it stumps me.... I do not detect anything sour in many of the scents that you call sour.
    Hey, thats ok, nice reading and nice to see what you think about certain scents. Be careful not to make too many enemies.
    Gary

Well, maybe some skin or liver problem happened with you...
    Did you ask doctor about it?
    Maybe some diet? Or maybe you have a course of drugs (some drugs could affect on metabolism)... Or just other examination in hospital?
    I`m really frightened by huge amount of frags that you found TOO SOUR...

(By the way - I never seen figs in pyramide of Kouros. Never. And I`m sure that there`re no figs in it!)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Hmmm... IMO, Orientals in general are meant to be sweet not sour. And, the one frag that i would place in the "sour" category, is in your top 3!!! PASHA is sour spices! I'm gonna throw you into the other end of the spectrum with these recommendations:
    1. Havana
    2. Bel Ami
    3. Sung Homme
    4. Aigner In Leather
    5. Cuiron

Whatever you do, don't try Laguna, i couldn't live with my fav scent being called sour!!!!!

Hate to say it but for the most part I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm getting to the place where I have to force myself to wear many of my collection just to justify all the pain and expense I went through acquiring them. When I'm more honest to myself I end up wearing the Niches. I've never been disappointed by a Creed, L'Artisan, MPG, and even to a lesser extent Etro, Bash, and CdG. Had that startling revelation again this morning and had to pass on Guerlain Vetiver. This Yatagan I decided on instead is good though.

"PASHA is sour spices!"

Hey! Oh well, turnabout is fair play. I hope I have not been banished. I truly like reading all of your posts and you have all been very helpful. I just hope I don't end up on the business side of one of you in Unreal Tournament. Now I am off to make that appointment for my liver problem...

Thanks again and take care,

Duke