Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: A stranger in a strange land...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos3
    I have tried Dolce & Gabbana PH, and I do like it. Of the things I've tried so far, my likes would list as:

1. A*Men
    2. Le Male
    3. Happy
    4. Pi
    5. Dolce&Gabbana PH
    6. Lolita Lempicka

I was pretty close to buying Dolce & Gabbana PH, until I tested the gourmand orientals.
    Yup! You've definitely caught the sweet bug for the time being. With that said, you MUST try Roma Uomo from Laura Biagiotti. I think you'll really like this, even if I reserve it for cooler fall/winter weather. Also, how about Rocabar from Hermes? Finally, I agree with your excellent initial post and follow-ups!

Jeff

Carlos-
    Welcome. Sounds like you're infatuated with gourmands at this point. When I first got into frags I was heavy into gourmands, but transitioned out; you might have the same experience.

Rochas Man is good, but you'll have to be judicious in wearing it, it is probably the most powerful gourmand I wore. The lavender note is what seems to make this one different from all the other gourmands I've tried.

You might want to avoid (though you should at least give it a try) Casual Friday. This is a coffee-type gourmand with some definite synthetic notes, and a long woody drydown. It is the woody notes which make me caution you against this.

May I suggest:

Body Kouros - An oriental scent really, but smells a lot like a gourmand scent. Fairly linear - it doesn't change much during the day. My favoite scent for at least a year. My fiancee loves it. You'll probably love this if you enjoy Lolita Lempkita (or however it is spelled). Dries down powdery.

Miracle Homme - I consider this the "gourmand for the non-gourmand" wearer. Subtle coffee notes, and a well rounded frag. It is almost an aquatic frag, but doesn't seem to step into aquatic territory. You would not confuse this with Acqua di Gio. Really nice, and a good way to transition into various types of scents.

Habit Rouge - One of the best oriental frags out there. Overall a subtle scent, with an undercurrent of vanilla and leather. The EDP formulation has agarwood, which you may have noticed in M7, but the EDC and EDT do not have it.

Again, welcome aboard, and make sure to put a padlock on your credit cards because they may take a beating over the next couple months if you really get into frags.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Carlos, I think Habit Rouge will be right up your strasse. Starts with a burst of citrus and mellows down to vanilla with hints of leather, patchouli and musk.

One that is a bit hard to come by is Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. A wonderful potent concoction. Decidedly oriental with tonka notes and some spices, it lasts and lasts.

Welcome and heed well the good advise of Eric and others about the sweet stuff. I am another who passed on from the sweet oriental/edibles after a period of believing I needed a complete set of everything in the catagory. I've sold around ten and still have half dozen that I almost never wear.

If they appeal to you by all means get them. Consider decants. Be selective.

Thanks everyone.

I'll definitely hold off buying anything else for a while. I want to see how these two actually wear in everyday use. To what degree do they fit, to what degree not. Then from there, what else would I like.

I wore Rochas Man for the first time today. I had thought from my trial that this might be a better work wear scent than A*Men, but actually I find its dark velvety smoothness suggests relaxed evening wear to me, while the vibrancy of A*Men fits the daytime. OTOH, Rochas Man hold up really well in the summer heat. If anything it seems to open up more when it gets a little warm. A*Men, can get a bit yucky in the the heat unless you are really restrained wih the application.

If I can be permitted a moment of romanticism, I've kind of got this platonic idea of a frangrance in my head. Something rich and floral, and spicy, full-bodied. I see something exotic and oriental. Freshly ground spices, honey, smoke, incense.

Think the Count of Monte Cristo in his opulent excess, or the disheveled Han Solo in the Mos Eisley cantina.

I'd read about those special deals at marshalls and I found Guerlain's Heritage and Vetiver there. No sealed boxes alas, but I tried both on the skin. My impression of vetiver only worsened. Powerful, pungent, and very unpleasant. I had to wash my hand three times to get it off and it still isn't quite gone.

Heritage was a very pleasant suprise. I like this very much. If there had been a sealed package on the display I would have gone back to pick one up. I guess I'm easily taken with lavender, bergamot, patchouli, and tonka. I've read many comments of this being a very strong scent, but it seems very soft to me, very modest if enduring.