Code of Conduct

Default Discontinued fragrances

Ok, I have a rather odd question. I was browsing perfume bay and came across killer deals on fragrances that were no longer in production but still in stock. I nabbed JHL, Iquitos, and Coriolan to name a few. I know it's a broad question, but what are some other discontinued ones that I should be on the look out for? My tastes are pretty broad so I'll entertain any suggestion that's thrown out!

Default Re: Discontinued fragrances

DK Fuel and DK Unleaded.

Both smell fantastic and there's nothing else like them. Nothing.

RTbar

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    DK Fuel and DK Unleaded.

Both smell fantastic and there's nothing else like them. *Nothing.
    I just picked up Fuel and there really is nothing like it, I highly reccomend it... defenitly look out for that one, Havana also is great although I'm not sure it's Havana or the Reserva which is discontinued...

Just received Coriolan via a swap, and I think it will make a great fall scent.

I also agree on the DK Fuel & Unleaded. Also, from the boards here, it sounds like Laguna PH and Zino may soon be discontinued. Both are great.

The only other discontinued I would add is Jil Sander Feeling Man EdT. Good stuff.

#

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    [quote author=ziffy321 link=1123112821/0#1 date=1123113039]DK Fuel and DK Unleaded.

Both smell fantastic and there's nothing else like them. *Nothing.
    I just picked up Fuel and there really is nothing like it, I highly reccomend it... defenitly look out for that one, Havana also is great although I'm not sure it's Havana or the Reserva which is discontinued...[/quote]

I have havana, will look for Fuel next!

Krizia Time, a slighlty floral citrus with class
    Jean Patou pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

Davidoff Relax(may be re-released), Ambro de Jacomo, Jil Sander Background, Dunhill Edition, and Montana Parfum D'Homme are all excellent!

Polo Crrest

Havana and Zino. It's a crime that they've discontinued the first, and it's going to be a crime if they discontinue the second!

Guerlain Derby
    Yang by Jacques Fath
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

MJH

In addition to some of my faves already listed (Patou PH, Derby, etc):
    Ebene (Balmain)
    Bowling Green (Geoffrey Beene)
    Giorgio for Men (Giorgio)
    Globe (Rochas)
    Buckingham (Crown)
    Marquis (Crown)
    French Line (Revillon)
    Chamade Pour Homme (Guerlain)*
    Chypre (Coty)
    Homme de Gres (Gres)
    Phileas (Nina Ricci)
    Sud Est (Romeo Gigli)
    Tenere (Paco Rabanne)

* a limited edition

I`d add some more:
    Cerruti pour homme
    Monsieur Carven
    Vetiver Givenchy and Lanvin (old)
    Amouage Silver Cologne
    Centaures Serie by Pierre Cardin
    Gucci Nobile and pour homme (old)
    Lancome Sagamore
    Morabito Or Black
    Shiseido Tactics
    Zegna pour homme
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    I`d add some more:
    Cerruti pour homme
    Monsieur Carven
    Amouage Silver Cologne
    Lancome Sagamore
    Morabito Or Black
    Shiseido Tactics
    Zegna pour homme
    I miss gucci nobile a bit but if I had it I probably wouldn't wear it much. Amouage silver colonge is not discontinued, you must be thinking of amouage silver crystal. Am I right?

Krizia Time is a very unique and classy scent, though it didn't mix particularly well with my skin chemistry. I suspect it will shortly appear on my swaplist so let me know if anyone is interested.

This thread simply illustrates how many GREAT FRAGS have been discontinued, while the Cool Waters of the world still sell by the gallons. Inexplicable.

Versace Versus Uomo
    Guerlain Derby
    Paco Rabanne Teneré

I miss these three. [smiley=cry.gif]

Gucci Nobile - still have a big one left - hooray
    Extreme Polo Sport - This was saoooo underrated, a fantastic black pepper trip

Shiseido Tactics isn´t discontinued I believe. Was easy to find in Italy anyway.

MMM

@ Concord, I agree with you on the Versace [smiley=sad.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Versace Versus Uomo
    Guerlain Derby
    Paco Rabanne Teneré

I miss these three. *[smiley=cry.gif]
    I have em all!

YUMSTERS!

If you look hard enough you can find em still. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    [quote author=Concord link=1123112821/0#14 date=1123136196]Versace Versus Uomo
    Guerlain Derby
    Paco Rabanne Teneré

I miss these three. *[smiley=cry.gif]
    I have em all!

YUMSTERS!

If you look hard enough you can find em still. [smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

[smiley=dankk2.gif]
    I saw Versus on strawberrynet a while ago and thought "I'll order it next time". Now they're out. I always do things like that. I'll keep looking though.

Versace Metal Jeans.

At least in Germany it is no longer being sold...

m

As discussed on another thread, certain Chanel fragrances (eg Antaeus, Egoiste) seem destined for boutique-only status. Feeling slightly nervous about this, I intend to stock up on large bottles of each just in case.

Tenere was a lovely fragrance, and I'm still on a quest to get my hands on Havana.

Lancome Sagamore (and Balafre) are not discontinued, but are only available at the Lancome Institute in Paris. ScentDirect.co.uk sometimes has them.

I thought Nino Cerruti PH, although rare, was still in production?

I would add The Crown Perfumery - my favourite is the unique Sandringham.

I just got a 100ml bottle of Coriolan at a local 'Designer Village' for £4.49!!! Brand new, boxed and sealed.

Trot

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    [quote author=moon_fish link=1123112821/0#11 date=1123130076]I`d add some more:
    Cerruti pour homme
    Monsieur Carven
    Amouage Silver Cologne
    Lancome Sagamore
    Morabito Or Black
    Shiseido Tactics
    Zegna pour homme
    I miss gucci nobile a bit but if I had it I probably wouldn't wear it much. Amouage silver colonge is not discontinued, you must be thinking of amouage silver crystal. Am I right?
    [/quote]
    Nope, on the bottle is Silver Cologne - and it was Killer Vavoom from OAE who told me about this scent is discontinued...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

[blue]*Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours* (Guerlain)
    *Balenciaga Pour Homme*
    *Cuiron* (Helmut Lang)
    *Eau de Patou*
    *Ho Hang* (Balenciaga)
    *Nino Cerruti Pour Homme*
    *Ô Pour Homme* (Lancôme)
    *Patou Pour Homme Prive*
    *Patou Pour Homme*
    *Ungaro Pour L’Homme I*
    *Ungaro Pour L’Homme II*[/blue]

Yes how to forget Ho Hang? A quintessential early Seventies male scent is Monsieur Worth. They made stuff like that at the time: sharp, herbal, mossy, uncompromising. For the man who never has to ask!

I'm not entirely sure that L'Occitane Vetyver has been discontinued, as it seems to be available on their website. In any case I know it has been discontinued in the old packaging and bottle.

My fiancee adores L'Occitane Amber, so I will have to add that on her behalf.

KL Homme
    Gucci Nobile
    Ungaro I

Is Trussardi Uomo discontinued? Whenever I see for sale, it is at inflated prices, which leads me to think it has been discontinued. One of the best roses out there. Also sometimes the same holds true for L'Uomo Trussardi.

I did pick up a bottle of JHL and I'm still thinking about what to make of the scent.

K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Gentlemen, sure there was beautiful stuff in the past, but the past is gone! We live today in one of the fragrance world's very best periods--perhaps the pinnacle even.

It is easy to write rhapsodically about things we haven't smelled and can't ever smell, sure, same as it is easy to make a long lost tale of worth and treasure map about anything one wants to sentimentalize over. Think of what we have today that the past would long to have. Think of Voleur de Roses, L'Ombre dans l'Eau, Yatagan, Dzing!, Vetiver Oriental, and Route du Vetiver. Think of your own magic potions--many will think of Santal Noble or Ambre Precieux. Think how lucky we are today to have so many of extreme quality and artistic delight that we can build collections of all of them.

Sure, there are many I'll never smell that I wish I could smell, and I could list them here for you, but what's the use? Try to transfer that wish for the long lost into something that's just on a different continent, say, today. It's more productive to crave something that can with effort be gotten, no?

On with the new! Further! In the spirit of 20th Century modernism I say things are better now and the better is more available.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Chris, that's a very good point.

I guess people wear/collect fragrances for many and varied reasons. I recall that I was lead towards Basenotes just over a year ago when I was seeking out info about a once much-loved but almost forgotten scent - Lancome Balafre. I had been sorting out my loft and came upon some old diaries. In one dating from the early 80s I noted a reference to 'Balafre', and recalled buying this great fragrance while on holiday in Belgium. I can't remember it ever being sold here in the UK. So for me this hobby has a good deal to do with nostalgia and I do admit to trying to revisit most of my old favourites - its a challenge I enjoy. I am not so concerned about whether a scent is discontinued as such but rather whether it will help me recapture my long lost youth! I am sure Proust would have something to say about that...

But that doesn't stop me buying newly launched scents as well [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Trot

1: Thanks for the help everyone, as always this place is a font of recomendations

2: Tenere is discontinued but I bought a bottle of it from perfumebay, and I've seen it in local stores.

3: I must clarify that the reason I'm asking is that due to my youth I may have missed out on exceptional scents, and while I love new scents, I'd fee slighted if I denied myself the chance to explore the old ones as well.

Vendetta by Valentino
    Let your nose be your pilot

2 words:

**NICOLE**
    **MILLER**
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    2 words:

**NICOLE**
    **MILLER**
    I strongly second Scentsei's sentiment.

... and JHL is not discontinued.

One that I miss most dearly, VERSAILLES pour homme by Jean Desprez. There are a few bottles out there. Treat this search like a hunt for the holy grail!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.