Code of Conduct

Thread: "Powdery" = ???

Default "Powdery" = ???

OK, here's a two part question that's bugging the crap out of me:

1. What do you mean when you use the term "powdery" to describe a fragrance? The word "powder" itself seems vague to me--lots of substances can be powdery, e.g. talcum powder, cocoa powder, flour, chalk, etc. Right? However, I get the feeling that most posters use the term "powdery" to specifically mean the smell of "baby powder." Am I correct?

2. Does anyone here who owns *Rochas Man* think it has a (baby) powdery drydown?
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Default Re: "Powdery" = ???

I don't know about Rochas Man, but Yerbamate on my skin smells just like baby powder.

Jeff

If you mix floral notes with vanilla you get the so called "powdery" smell.

Although it has vanilla, Rochas Man doesn't smell powdery on me. It is simply sweet.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    I don't know about Rochas Man, but Yerbamate on my skin smells just like baby powder.

Jeff
    Bingo! Its the powdery drydown that kept me from buying this LV gem. I love the top and middle, can't stand the powder.

As for Rochas Man, I don't remember powder. More like coffee flavored cotton candy for me.

And yes, though I don't speak for anyone but me, I generally assume powdery is that baby powder smell. Nothing wrong with it, just not something I enjoy smelling of.

I get the same powdery (dry, talcum, sweet, strong) note from Bvlgari Blu and for that reason have never purchased it. It's a great scent - for a while. Then the "talcum cloud" arises and hangs on like a lost puppy.

Aaron

Just try out stuff like Monsieur de Givenchy, 4711, Bvlgari BLV... and you'll know what's powdery!

CM Jockey Club dries down very powdery.
    Nothing wrong with that!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Powdery ususally denotes the soft, aldehydic/vanillic smell of baby powders. Orris/iris is also described as powdery because of it's association with classic face powders like the ones your grandmother used.

In addition, Crown Imperial has a nice powdery drydown.
    Let your nose be your pilot

I do believe nothing is more powdery than Villoresiīs Teint de Neige. It is even described as the essence of perfumed powders.
    Agree on Yerbamate and Blu as well and would like to add Helmut Lang.

MMM

meteorites by guerlain - also good sample of powder
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    I do believe nothing is more powdery than Villoresiīs Teint de Neige. It is even described as the essence of perfumed powders.
    Agree on Yerbamate and Blu as well and would like to add Helmut Lang.

MMM
    Definitely top three in powdery to me also ... Yerbamate, Helmut Lang, and Teint de Neige.

Yerbamate being the only one that I would consider "wearable".

Indeed Yerbabate and Teint de neige are very powdery! But also FM Iris poudre is very powdery too.
    I think "powder" is more an idea than an association with something real...
    For example baby powder is itself scented adding essences.
    I mean "powder" is an imagine to describe the smell of something undefined, slightly sweet, very close to skin... I know often great quantities of iris root are used to obtain powderry effect!

Monsieur Musk is a great example of Spicy powder!

I completely agree with Magnifiscent. To me powdery notes are something more abstract. Itīs not that they smell of talcum etc *heavily, itīs more a certain type of dryness, notes that somehow evoke a feeling of flour. But sure, vanilic and aldehydic properties are a big part of it. Another one I think fits the bill perfectly is Oscar de la Renta Por Lui. Very powdery, a floral type of powder with dark spices. An acquired taste, but I enjoy it.

And another 2 for women: L'Air du temps and White Linen, canīt stand 'em - yuck [smiley=tongue.gif]

MMM

SMN Melograno is old school powdery as is Zizanie.

I think generally when someone refers to "powder", they refer to baby powder. Lots of scents seem to have the note: Amouage Gold, Royal Copenhagen, Lagerfeld Classic, Habit Rouge, and Body Kouros come to mind. Amouage Gold and Royal Copenhagen seemed to be the ones with the most "powdery" smell to me, the others less so.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Does anyone here who owns *Rochas Man* think it has a (baby) powdery drydown?
    I'm wearing it right now (love it btw), and yes, the drydown does remind me a little of baby powder, only sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    I do believe nothing is more powdery than Villoresiīs Teint de Neige.
    Oh yes, I forgot about that one. I tried a sample of it once and somebody in the office asked if I'd had an accident with some talcum powder. I said no, but I might as well have.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    [quote author=Jeff H. link=1123211106/0#1 date=1123211905]I don't know about Rochas Man, but Yerbamate on my skin smells just like baby powder.

Jeff
    Bingo! Its the powdery drydown that kept me from buying this LV gem. I love the top and middle, can't stand the powder.

As for Rochas Man, I don't remember powder. More like coffee flavored cotton candy for me.

And yes, though I don't speak for anyone but me, I generally assume powdery is that baby powder smell. Nothing wrong with it, just not something I enjoy smelling of. [/quote]

Yerbamate's powder drydown chased me off as well. Loved it before that happened. Powder to me suggests talc, like the smell you used to get stuck with after a haircut. I hated it so much I ended up letting my hair grow. Or was it the acid?