Code of Conduct

Default Please Help, rate my collection.. :)

hi.. i am new to this board and the internet.. i would really be grateful if you guys could rate my collection..
    i'm in Australlia Melbourne, i've been collecting cologne for three years now.. after i got my first bottle of joop i was hooked, and i wanted more..I feel perhaps i'm a few light fragrances short in my collection..
    i am a nightclub bouncer and do like the stronger ones for work.

jeans coutoure - Versace
    acqua di gio - giorgio armani
    le male - JPG
    dreamer - versace
    BY - dolce and gabbana - man
    pi - givenchy
    xeryus rouge - givenchy
    visit - azzaro
    chrome - azzaro
    dolce and gabbana pour home
    curve
    elements - hugo boss
    platinum egoiste - chanel

i have tested heaps of colognes and owned about fifty bottles and these are the ones i've kept..
    the rest i've given away or sold on ebay.

what is my collection lacking.. do you think it's well rounded.. ?

Default Re: Please Help, rate my collection.. :)

Upon quick inspection, I would toss the following (in my opinion of course):

Dreamer
    Pi
    D&G PH
    Platinum Egoiste is popular among some but, I cannot stand the pepper in the drydown. Perhaps a differetn spice would ahve made it.
    Curve

I would add the following:

Some creeds
    an Etro
    Possibly an LV although I have yet to purchase one
    and possible others

Sorry this is a vague response but it is late.

Welcome to the board, Gumby. We need all collectors here, since we've all got the bug, so chime in on any other threads with your experiences and thoughts soon and anytime.

On a quick look your collection looks all recent. All contemporary releases. I think you're hurting for some old kick ass classics. Some hairy chested manly seventies stuff, some grace and polish of thirties stuff, and some essence of gentlemen top of the line miscellaneous stuff.

I don't know about all the bottles you've rejected, so maybe you've rejected what I'm going to suggest. In which case, sorry, but they're just what I suggest based on what you've said.

Bouncer? Dude, if there ever was a man who needed Caron's Yatagan, it is you! You should be able to find some Caron somewhere in Melbourne. While you're at it check out all the Carons for men. Some are old, some are medium old, and one is pretty recent (L'Anarchiste, a favorite of mine).

Also check out Guerlain. This house you probably have checked out, but heck, I love their Vetiver and Habit Rouge. Classics. Just plain great stuff. It would be fun to bounce somebody while wearing things this refined and complex.

Start there, and also start looking at the older Chanels. Especially Antaeus. Pour Monsieur is pretty nice too.

I bet a lot of your club's customers wear the same scents you've got. No problem with that, but a man who exercises his nose like a scent collector does should have a greater range available, and when you want to be upright and show some power, I'm a firm believer in the power the aura of an old school and totally respectable scent can give. So I'd even urge you to try to find some stuff from your grandfathers's era. Something that makes everyone realize the better call you sir.

Welcome to the board, again.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Caron's Yatagan u wreckon. .i'll have to check that one out.

my fav sents to wear at work, would have to be dreamer, elements and platinum egoiste. I feel these are sents that are ,manly powerful.. and at the same time the ladies like.
    anyway thanks for ur great responces so far.. maybe i'll look at getting a few creeds.
    u can get them in mini's pretty cheap on ebay. think i might buy them and keep the ones i like.
    i here santal imperial, vetiver, bois du portugal, silver mountain water, green irish tweed, himalaya and millisime imperial are all good..
    gonna by the minis.. oh yer and check out that Caron's Yatagan
    any futher comments would be good

Yeah man, keeep The Dreamer and Platinum Ego...since you mentioned it, get some Himalaya. Looking at your stuff that definitely looks like your next one and impress you it will. It can project enough for you and give you a big shot of class.

Don't bounce the Pi! Keep it! All the rest is ok too. Yes you might want to explore in the field of past scents. I won't suggest anything though as I don't know what you have thrown out already.

Nice collection, if you haven't already tried it, give Carolina Herrera 212 a sniff....and don't let girls with half a bottle of cheap perfume on in the club as they kill our classy scents before they even had chance to [smiley=rolleyes.gif].

ok.. bottles iv'e tossed out off top of my head would be.
    blue jeans.. joop.. envy.. M7.. cool water.. polo sport. belligelo.. anteaus.. rush.. dark blue hugo.. hugo by hugo. romance RL.. gucci pour home. ck be. masculne by d&g.. ck eternaty.

just bought over the net, Caron's Yatagan, Vetiver, Habit Rouge and CORIOLAN by Guerlain.. also got lolita, RIVE GAUCHE and bought these creeds in 7.5 ml bottles.. santal imperial, vetiver, bois du portugal, silver mountain water, green irish tweed, himalaya and millisime imperial..
    cost me a few bob .. be fun to see which i like and which i don't . considering i've never smelt any of these before. :P

oh yer i bought 212 And thought is was boring.
    just it didn't excite me in anyway..

A shame, because I thoroughly enjoy my 212. Not going to be my everyday scent, but definately good in my own humble opinion.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Welcome to the board, Gumby. *We need all collectors here, since we've all got the bug, so chime in on any other threads with your experiences and thoughts soon and anytime.

On a quick look your collection looks all recent. *All contemporary releases. *I think you're hurting for some old kick ass classics. *Some hairy chested manly seventies stuff, some grace and polish of thirties stuff, and some essence of gentlemen top of the line miscellaneous stuff.

I don't know about all the bottles you've rejected, so maybe you've rejected what I'm going to suggest. *In which case, sorry, but they're just what I suggest based on what you've said.

Bouncer? *Dude, if there ever was a man who needed Caron's Yatagan, it is you! *You should be able to find some Caron somewhere in Melbourne. *While you're at it check out all the Carons for men. *Some are old, some are medium old, and one is pretty recent (L'Anarchiste, a favorite of mine).

Also check out Guerlain. *This house you probably have checked out, but heck, I love their Vetiver and Habit Rouge. *Classics. *Just plain great stuff. *It would be fun to bounce somebody while wearing things this refined and complex. *

Start there, and also start looking at the older Chanels. *Especially Antaeus. *Pour Monsieur is pretty nice too. *

I bet a lot of your club's customers wear the same scents you've got. *No problem with that, but a man who exercises his nose like a scent collector does should have a greater range available, and when you want to be upright and show some power, I'm a firm believer in the power the aura of an old school and totally respectable scent can give. *So I'd even urge you to try to find some stuff from your grandfathers's era. *Something that makes everyone realize the better call you sir.

Welcome to the board, again.
    --Chris
    Nice one Chris, that's the right approach.

Welcome aboard Gumby! All I can say is that you're a brave man laying your bones bare!
    In my own opinion, I'd keep only 3:

xeryus rouge - givenchy
    elements - hugo boss
    platinum egoiste - chanel

Then stick to DustB's game plan, sniff a few fragrances from the following fragrance houses: Creed, Lorenzo Villoresi, L'artisan perfumeur, Floris, Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle.

Your nose would have acquired a different sense of smell by then, from thereon there will be no turning back!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Blog Entries

Welcome Gumby. Now that you're here, you never have to throw out another bottle . Basenotes comes equipped w/ a swap board & there's surely someone here who would want to take what you don't want off your hands in trade for something you'd be better suited to
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Gucci Pour Homme should be required wearing for all bouncers.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    Gucci Pour Homme should be required wearing for all bouncers.
    Oddly enough, I completely agree!

First off, welcome to Gumby. Hope you enjoy your time here at Basenotes.

I'm not much of one to "rate" someone's collection, since each to their own I always say. My treasures could be your trash and vice versa.

Having said that, nothing to prevent me from making commentary.

Acqua di Gio - I like this one and would recommend testing Angel Schlesser pour Homme for a slightly spicier, yet similar scent. It also has this rice note which is very unique. Its not always easy to detect, but once you smell it, you'll recognize it.

I also will third the recommendation of Gucci pour Homme. Its got this amazing smoky quality, though its not as long lasting on me as I expected based on the intensity of the opening.

Someone earlier mentioned Caron's L'Anarchiste. Definitely a top ten scent for me and great for all times of year. Its a bit bizarre and not for everyone, but its pretty cheap online and nothing else is even similar to me. From the metallic opening blast of mint and mandarin, to the clove enveloped wood laden musky dry down, a winner and will always be in my collection.

If you like Platinum Egoiste, I'd see if you can find Open by Roger & Gallet. I found the two to be similar, though I don't like either. I'm much more a fan of the original Égoïste and have no idea why they slapped Platinum on a scent that shares nothing in common. Égoïste is a timeless scent of class.

I'll finish off with a recommendation for something in the leather family. Some will tell you Cuiron (my personal favorite), others will suggest Knize Ten or Bel Ami. There are many others, but I've not sampled most of them. Cuiron ended my quest for a leather scent. I think it would be a great addition for someone in your line of work.

Anyways, that's all I've got for now.

Hi Gumby,

Welcome to the MADNESS! I am going to guess that you're a fairly BIG guy being a bouncer. Of course...this isn't (nor has to be) always the case! When I first joined Basenotes, I started with MOSTLY SWEETER fragrances. However, I soon began to develope some pretty bad Headaches. I then found myself liking some of the more...UNIQUE (some say stinky) fragrances. I feel these type of fragrances work well for me. I am a fairly big guy (6'3" 238 lbs.) so, I feel pretty confident wearing the STRONGER scents. Per a current thread....TRUSSARDI UOMO would be KILLER! You might want to look into GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN, CREED MILLESIME TABAROME (one of my personal FAVORITES) and...the ONE fragrance that takes real BALLS to wear LOL...SANTA MARIA NOVELLA "ACQUA DI CUBA!". Oooh...of course...advice given by DUST B (as well as most all our members) is to be taken REAL SERIOUS! CARON YATAGAN is in my TOP TWENTY as well! Also...as DUST B mentioned...GUERLAIN is a FANTASTIC House! I recently acquired HABIT ROUGE!
    Since you enjoy many fragrances a bit on the SWEETER side...HABIT ROUGE is a MUST! HABIT ROUGE is ONE of the fragrances on the slightly sweeter (yet MANLY) side that I ADORE! Why I waited soooo long to buy HABIT ROUGE....I'll never know.
    Do keep us posted on what you try and what you like! Ooooh....Ooooh....Ooooh....
    How could I forget to recommend....YSL KOUROS!

Regards,
    SixCats!

hey, i had the GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN and i really loved it.. thought it was pure class, but then the mini ran out. shit lol.. thats one i got to get again sometime..

gucci pour home.. hmm whats the deal there, i thought it was pretty similiar to envy, wouldn't it be better just to get the envy which seems a bit more well rounded???

only bottle i think i'll ditch is the curve.. i been using as a gym fragrance.. the rest i'll keep coz i know i'll regret it if i get rid of any of the others :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    gucci pour home.. hmm whats the deal there, i thought it was pretty similiar to envy, wouldn't it be better just to get the envy which seems a bit more well rounded???
    I used to own Envy and I don't remember thinking they were similar. Envy had a much stronger cedar presence and was a bit sweeter from what I remember.

Gucci Pour Homme, as many reviews have mentioned, smelled more like burnt pencil shavings. To me, I still get a very campfire sort of smokiness, with a much darker presence than Envy. Granted, I've not owned Envy for a long time and didn't like it at all. The Gucci I've owned and continue to own, eagerly awaiting fall and winter for when this will be much easier to wear. Right now, its much too hot and humid here in Georgia for me to feel comfortable wearing this one.

Try to find both somewhere and do your own head to head comparsion, then your nose will lead you in the right direction.

And make sure to at least keep the Curve long enough to compare against your forthcoming Creed GIT, just to see if you think its the poor man's version.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby

only bottle i think i'll ditch is the curve.. i been using as a gym fragrance.. the rest i'll keep coz i know i'll regret it if i get rid of any of the others :P

If you're gonna chuck the Curve I'd be happy to take it off your hands [smiley=wink.gif]
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

For a manly frag with incredible lasting power at a very cheap price, nothing beats Sung Pour Homme.

It was mt SOTD and it really delivers.

Welcome aboard!