Code of Conduct

Default Stupid coffee question...

OK, I might be on the recieving end of a Basenotes "most stupid question award" but here goes:

I was rambling to my girlfriend, telling her about a couple of decants Iīve ordered from a fellow Basenoter and I mentioned that I was eagerly awaiting Jo Malones Black Vetyver Café. I said that I had tried some scents with coffee notes before but they tend to join hands with vanilla-gourmany-sweetness. However, I continued, this one has vetiver and a woodyness wich makes me very curious about trying it!!

Then she pops a very logical question that made me stop dead in my tracks:
    - Donīt the perfume stores use coffee beans to neutralize perfume smell? And if so wont the coffee note neutralize the whole scent?
    Having tried some coffee scents I know that itīs not the case but I think itīs a great question and I didnīt come up with a good explanation.
    Has anyone got a good answer more satisfying than that they must add just a tiny proportion of coffee essence. I was going to say that they use lemon to cover up odours and lemons blens in with other notes in fragrances just fine, but to be honest it always takes over wich ought to be the case with coffee as well!!
    [smiley=wink.gif]

If this post managed to put a smile on your face then Iīm happy and if not then I apologize for taking up your time. If you have a serious answer to amy wierd question thatīs even better!

Take care!! / Tobbe

Default Re: Stupid coffee question...

This is too metaphysical a question for me. My guess is that the coffee totally overwhelms the olfactory palate and you should be ready for the next scent, while coffee as a component of a fragrance is not as overwhelming.

Unless you spray something like Casual Friday directly in your nose. That would be overwhelming. However, I confidently predict within 25 standard deviations, that this be the next craze for teens all across America. [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I love the smell of coffee, so anything that willingly puts it in intrigues me. I guess on one side it would help subdue the scent, but maybe the chemical reaction of all the other ingredients causes something...good...to happen. Give it a try and see what you think, and if your girlfriend is right well at least you found out, right?
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

The coffee thing is a myth. No idea how it caught on, but its a myth. From what I've heard, there isn't a perfumeur in the industry that subscribes to the coffee bean theory. Just bury your nose in something cotton or wool and inhale through your nose. Thats how most 'clear the pallate'

I definately agree on the myth of coffee beans actually clearing your palette but it does help to distinguish between multiple scents. I think clean cotton or wool works better like you said, but coffee does its job up to a degree. It's just not the cure-all it's made out to be.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I don’t think that coffee beans have any sort of magical neutralizing ability. I think its just that not many fragrances smell like pure coffee beans. Therefore they get your nose used to something more familiar and different to most fragrances so that when you decide to smell another fragrance you have a clearer perception because you are comparing it to a more familiar smell and not a similar fragrance you smelled 30 seconds ago.

Therefore I believe a coffee note is just like any other note in a scent. I also believe it would work just as well if they provided manure instead of coffee beans.

Its 3:15am here, and I am tired so hopefully what I have said makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyMoo
    I don’t think that coffee beans have any sort of magical neutralizing ability. I think its just that not many fragrances smell like pure coffee beans. Therefore they get your nose used to something more familiar and different to most fragrances so that when you decide to smell another fragrance you have a clearer perception because you are comparing it to a more familiar smell and not a similar fragrance you smelled 30 seconds ago.
    is the correct answer. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Good answers everybody!! And of course you are correct!

I think most people sniff their sweaters or so after having tried too many frags but hoping to manage one more. I know I do. Good that it works so well to a certain degree. The coffee bean thing is just a clever sales trick because coffee stirrs up feelings of cozyness, familiarity and a well needed pause making you more gullible and easier to manipulate. Itīs probably all in their handbook... but I used to think of it as just a friendly, service minded ritual. MY EYES ARE WIDE OPEN NOW!!!! I'm really kidding, I didnīt go for the magic coffee bean gimmick either but it was a fun question non the less.

Have a good day/evening/night/morning everyone!!!

Tobbe

Have you ever eaten sushi? The coffee is analagous to ginger. They do make food that tastes like ginger, but actual ginger itself is significantly different enough from the sushi to cleanse your pallate. I know that the question was already answered above, but I liked my analogy

Hi all,

Yikes....I'm still working on "why is it that Sheep don't shrink when they get wet!".

Regards,
    SixCats!

Perfume stores do not use coffee beans to neutrilize the olfactory bulbs in a chemical sense, they use them to mask the previous fragrance since some fragrances share similar notes and it becomes hard to distinguish one from the other. Straight out coffee beans will smell like nothing you are smapling most likely and getting that into your nose just beofre you try soomething else will decrease the chances of them running together??????

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats
    Hi all,

* Yikes....I'm still working on "why is it that Sheep don't shrink when they get wet!".

Regards,
    SixCats!
    Wool does not absorb water like cotton, hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    [quote author=MannyMoo link=1122922290/0#5 date=1122923784]I don[ch8217]t think that coffee beans have any sort of magical neutralizing ability. I think its just that not many fragrances smell like pure coffee beans. Therefore they get your nose used to something more familiar and different to most fragrances so that when you decide to smell another fragrance you have a clearer perception because you are comparing it to a more familiar smell and not a similar fragrance you smelled 30 seconds ago.
    is the correct answer. [smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

Well said Marcello! [smiley=thumbup.gif] Also coffee keeps a very robust scent to itself that lasts.

Yvan

I should be none too surprised if the Baron de Charlus does not require his valet (Andre? Or was Andre only Marcel's valet?) to tote along a tin of gourmet coffee beans for de Charlus to snuffle while sampling the fragrance bill of fare in finer department stores, so as to avoid boisterous sales assistants shoving low-grade coffee beans in his well-tailored face.

To "clear my palate" I smell my own skin in the back of my elbow, because if there's something that smells neutral to you it's your own skin-smell.

Indeed MannyMoo and Marcello are right! Brain receipts stimuli from olfactorial apparel but, when a smell became constant, it tends to "ignore" it. If not so, owr brain should be elaborating too many informations about smells around us; thus it considers and elaborates only new info (smells) reaching our nose.
    Moreover, there's also a strange defense against too intense smells (i.e. coffe beans directly under your nose) that tend to send violent stimuli to the brain. So overwelming smells tend to be smoothed or even ignored. That way your olfactorial palate will be erased.

Hey SixCats, don't you know that Sheep don't shrink when they get wet to avoid wool becames felt? [smiley=laugh.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    To "clear my palate" I smell my own skin in the back of my elbow, because if there's something that smells neutral to you it's your own skin-smell.
    Are you double-jointed? [smiley=laugh.gif]

I think the previous posters are correct--other strong-smelling items would probably work just as well as coffee beans. The coffee beans are more convenient and pleasant than a bowl of moth balls, for example.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    [quote author=Concord link=1122922290/0#14 date=1122965548]To "clear my palate" I smell my own skin in the back of my elbow, because if there's something that smells neutral to you it's your own skin-smell.
    Are you double-jointed? *[smiley=laugh.gif]

I think the previous posters are correct--other strong-smelling items would probably work just as well as coffee beans. The coffee beans are more convenient and pleasant than a bowl of moth balls, for example.[/quote]

Lol, A bowl of manure might be a good marketing decision. After customers smell it, even the worst of fragrances will smell great to them in comparison.

I like the ginger analogy so Iīm going out for sushi tomorrow!! Manure is a bit of a chance... but they already have math balls as a prominent note in some frags; itīs called vetiver! JUST KIDDING!!! I REALLY like vetiver but if itīs too strong and pure it will definitely clean your palate...

/Tobbe

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    [quote author=Concord link=1122922290/0#14 date=1122965548]To "clear my palate" I smell my own skin in the back of my elbow, because if there's something that smells neutral to you it's your own skin-smell.
    Are you double-jointed? *[smiley=laugh.gif]

I think the previous posters are correct--other strong-smelling items would probably work just as well as coffee beans. The coffee beans are more convenient and pleasant than a bowl of moth balls, for example.[/quote]

*lol* I meant the inside of my elbow. Don't know what that bodypart is called. You know that part where you shoot up if you're mainlining?