Code of Conduct

Default Inspired suggestions wanted

On Friday I will be visiting a very comprehensively-stocked shop (no Serge Lutens, MPG or Diptyque but most other things) and I'm starting to plan what to try/purchase. I like well-made scents that are unusual but wearable. Some things I regularly wear include Philosykos, MI, CDG3, Kyoto, Jaisalmer and Vintage Tabarome. A bit less frequently, Odeur 71, Palisander, BdP, Gomma, Hadrien Absolu, and a few Amouages that I'm somewhat over.

I'll probably be considering Avignon, Harissa, Sequoia and possibly Sandalo. Also may try Heliotrope and a few of the more obscure Creeds (not Himalaya, GIT, SMW, etc., but maybe something like Vetiver).

Anyone feel like offering some suggestions? What would it be remiss not to check out?
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Default Re: Inspired suggestions wanted

Hard to recommend without knowing which specific houses they do carry, so I'll go with a few select choices.

L'Artisan

~ Dzing! - definitely fits the criteria of being unusal, but wearable. Okay, opinions on the wearable part will vary, but its worth trying.

~ Voleur de Roses - this is one that doesn't work at all for me, but does for others. As I've said before, smells like a rose garden gone bad on my skin.

Santa Maria Novella

~ Pot Pourri - if you like spices and no, it doesn't smell like your typical mass merchandised potpourri, but is based on a real pot pourri sold by the same company. I still have a bit of mine and its quite good.

~ Nostalgia - look around in some recent threads for comments on this one. I've never smelled it, but am intrigued based on the descriptions given by other members.

Of the ones you mentioned, Avignon and Harissa are great! Heliotrope smells good too (kinda like "Play-Doh" to me, but in a good way), but I don't find too many situations where I would wear it.
    I own Dzing and Nostalgia and think both should definitely be sampled. Nostalgia is VERY scary at first, but dried down nice. I think Dzing is more wearable, but not for everyone. Smells like a circus to me. I smell peanuts and popcorn in it.
    If they have L'Artisan, I like Timbuktu also. Definitely unusual, but wearable.

Other Cdg's I like are Dry Clean and Rhubarb.

Other Creed's I like are OV, Royal Delight, and Baie de Genivere.

Erolfa and BDP are two other excellent Creeds.

I'd look for L'Anarchiste by Caron if they have it, pretty unique smell there!

Another rec for Dzing! Sawdust and candied leather and musk. Avignon is wonderful too.

I suggest you to try

- CDG Series 1: TEA - a fabulous blend of strong black tea, rose, spices and wood
    - Creed Royal Delight - a graceful, not very popular, blend of green notes with hilts of violet and woods inspired by the game of golf

Ladylonestar

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Caron Yatagan
    Keiko Mecheri Oliban
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    L'Artisan Mechant Loup, L'Eau de L'Artisan and Navegar

Thanks for the great suggestions so far. Keep them coming!
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Unique, but wearable and worth a try are also:

- L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer
    - CdG Zagorsk
    - Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi
    - Santa Maria Novella Amber Lavander
    - Creed Acier Aluminium
    - Creed Chèvrefeuille Original

Good luck!

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions. I sampled quite a few fragrances, including several vetivers, and ultimately chose Creed Baie de Genievre (full name: Baie de Genievre Feuilles de Cannelier: "Juniper Berries Cinnamon Leaves&quot and CdG Series 5 Sherbet: Cinnamon. I'm quite taken with BdG and hope the impression lasts.

Of the vetivers, I preferred the Creed overall (not the new "Original Vetiver&quot, which mellowed nicely, and also liked the version by Piver, which struck me as having a very straightforward, somewhat one-note quality. Two other vetivers had very intersting notes that I will mention in a second post. I'm curious whether anyone will agree with my impressions.