Code of Conduct

Default Turin visits Guerlain

'As I expected, Elizabeth Sirot did her job and remonstrated with me on the subject of my evil columns. I explained that Guerlain had no better friends in the whole world than its aficionados, and that if she needed help to convince LVMH not to mess with the other monuments I (and many others) would be glad to oblige. I got a distinct impression, by the way, that the hiring of the great Edouard Fléchier instead of a callow youth to oversee mods to the classics was in part helped by my original NZZ column. Bear in mind that the perfume industry is not used to criticism, and much prefers supine puff pieces written by tame hacks. She explained to me that I had damaged Guerlain's image by writing so scathingly of L'Instant. My reaction was: if criticism has an effect, so must praise. How come nobody sends flowers when I say good things ? I also explained that vastly greater projects, like movies and cars have their reviewers in the press, and that the fragrance world would simply have to Get Used To It.'

http://lucaturin.typepad.com/perfume_notes/
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Default Re: Turin visits Guerlain

Thanks for this piece, interesting to note that Luca quite appreciates rive gauche...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Luca Turin;s reviews make me want to acquire every scnet he praises, though
    in reality they don't turn out that good e.g. Beyond Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham City
    Luca Turin;s reviews make me want to acquire every scnet he praises, though
    in reality they don't turn out that good e.g. Beyond Paradise
    Completely agree. I blindly bought BP based on his review and was aghast at the vile bug spray passing off as fragrance. To be fair to him, I believe he was praising the perfumer in general more than this creation in particular. His Dior Homme Eau Noire recommendation was a good one for me though.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Well it's all about Luca Turin's personal taste. He loves Beyond Paradise and isn't crazy about L'Instant. I prefer L'Instant over BP.
    Luca Turin is a perfume critic who gives his opinion, it's not like he is god or something. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. It's the same with movie critics.

I was also drawn to the piece on Yardley English Lavender. Interesting that Italian men consider this quite acceptable as a male scent whereas most of my unimaginative countrymen here in England only ever buy it for their mother/granny. Except me of course!

Trot

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    I was also drawn to the piece on Yardley English Lavender. *Interesting that Italian men consider this quite acceptable as a male scent whereas most of my unimaginative countrymen here in England only ever buy it for their mother/granny. *Except me of course!

Trot
    Do you also like English Blazer by Yardley?

Hi magnnum
    I have never tried it and only rarely seen it on sale.

There are numerous little out of the way chemist shops in Norfolk for example that seem to have a variety of male scents by Yardley. Last year on holiday I saw 'Equity' and another one I cannot recall and have not seen since.

What is Blazer like? Does anyone know the others?

This is becoming a rather different thread! [smiley=laugh.gif]
    Trot

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    Hi magnnum
    I have never tried it and only rarely seen it on sale. *

There are numerous little out of the way chemist shops in Norfolk for example that seem to have a variety of male scents by Yardley. *Last year on holiday I saw 'Equity' and another one I cannot recall and have not seen since.

What is Blazer like? *Does anyone know the others?

This is becoming a rather different thread! [smiley=laugh.gif]
    Trot
    I've sampled it once or twice & all I remember is that it seems to have some lavender in it, I might be wrong, it's an ok scent but nothing spectacular, I live in the UK as well & I notice that a lot our country men treat traditional english fragrances with some reproach.

Ok back to topic [smiley=rolleyes.gif], does anyone know what happened to the email campaign to stop Guerlain from tinkering their formulae on older frags? Has Guerlain relented?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Ok back to topic *[smiley=rolleyes.gif], does anyone know what happened to the email campaign to stop Guerlain from tinkering their formulae on older frags? Has Guerlain relented?
    That would be great wouldn't it?, a fragrance house that realy listens to it's customers. Don't expect Guerlain ( or any other fragrance house) to do so, cause who are we anyway? *I really share M.Turins views and most of the customers who don't want Guerlain to change some old formulas, but on the other hand, the changes were made due to the new healtcare regulations, to save their customers from allergic reaction problems or worse. Also I believe that costs are a big issue to. *And to be honest, most people won't even notice the changes cause , I believe it's all about the old,classic formulas from the vintage ones. Most of us weren't even born then to compare them.
    I have compared several Vetiver bottles f.e. and I found the changes very minimal. I really want Guerlain to listen to him, but in the mean time I also like what Guerlain is doin now , the revamped store, the up to date releases and all. ( I really like Habit Rouge light and I'm looking forward to the edp strength L'Instant p.h.).

But unfortunately the quote from the Luca Turin blog says it all:

Bear in mind that the perfume industry is not used to criticism, and much prefers supine puff pieces written by tame hacks. She explained to me that I had damaged Guerlain's image by writing so scathingly of L'Instant.