Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Vétyver (1959) by Givenchy

Does anyone know where I can purchase the inexplicably discontinued Eau de Vétyver (1959) by Givenchy? After running out of my last bottle, I cannot find it anywhere. Unfortunately, I cannot get myself to like any other vetiver on the market as much as I like this one. Thanks -- Jean-Baptiste

Default Re: Vetiver by Givenchy

Are you referring to the "Eau de vétyver" from 1959 ? Or is it something else ? I haven't seen it in shops around here. Maybe the Givenchy boutique in Paris ? That is if they didn't stop producing it...

Default Re: Eau de Vétyver (1959) by Givenchy

A quick Google produced this:

https://www.parfumflacons.de/nusa20.htm

Aaron

Vetiver de Givenchy is generally considered to be one of the best vetivers ever made. Unfortunately, this masterpiece has been off the market for so long now that it's next to impossible to find anymore.

I hesitate to suggest a replacement as its subtlety is unparalleled. However, you may want to try Adolfo Dominguez' Vetiver Hombre. Not quite the same, but nevertheless... Good luck in your search!
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Luca Turin had very good words on this (not that it matters). Anyone here sample this fragrance? Would like to hear where it falls in the continuum of vetiver frags - SL, Hermes, Guerlain, Creed etc.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by lazycalm
    A quick Google produced this:

https://www.parfumflacons.de/nusa20.htm

Aaron
    Thanks for the tip, but I have already checked this website. They only offer a 3 ml miniature flacon for USD12.95. 100 ml would cost about USD430.00, provided they have 33 flacons in stock. -- Jean-Baptiste

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Would like to hear where it falls in the continuum of vetiver frags - SL, Hermes, Guerlain, Creed etc.
    It doesn't, really - if anywhere, I'd categorise it along with the other gentlemen's fragrances of that era, like Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur. In those days subtlety was still a virtue, at least in perfumery.

How it smells? Its subtlety is difficult to describe. Think of a walk in a damp, foggy forest with old oak trees in autumn, a whiff of Chanel 19 - but without any sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter

How it smells? Its subtlety is difficult to describe. Think of a walk in a damp, foggy forest with old oak trees in autumn, a whiff of Chanel 19 - but without any sweetness.
    Thanks, Interesting, would love to get hands on a sample.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

So would I - several hundred ml, preferably. Where's David?