Code of Conduct

Default Battle of the Vetivers: Guerlain vs. Carven

Which do you prefer and why? I'm neutral on Guerlain (I sometimes love it and sometimes think why did I spray this) but am considering Carven.

L'Occitane Vetyver is my favorite.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Battle of the Vetivers: Guerlain vs. Carven

Guerlain.

The Carven was nothing but disappointment for me. *I couldn't wait until I could find someone I knew in a far away city who needed a gift. *It is like water. *No sillage, no lasting ability, no punch, nothing to wake you up so you can skip the coffee. *Just plain a puddle of water caught in plastic tarp kind of scent. *Of all the vetivers it resembles Lanvin's recent Vetyver the most--they're both so dull they embarass the vetiver genre.

Even if you're neutral on Guerlain, it is the better product, monsieur le vicomte.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain - tho I haven't smelled the reformulated version. It's a vetiver that one either loves or hates, but a lovely fragrance.
    Cordially,

Serge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Carven!!!

Something about Guerlain really annoys my nose and makes it curl but Carven is fresh, elegant and understated, a soothing, calming anti-stress scent, perfect workhorse vetiver for the office! [smiley=smiley.gif] And it lasts the whole day, at least on my skin.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

francois

I had a bottle of Carven several months ago and to me it smelled the same as Guerlain's. Maybe it was an older formula?
    Don't like both of them anyway.

My favorite is also L'Occitane's!

Guerlain.

Carven Vetiver becomes powdery on me; Guerlain becomes peppery.
    CV seems to have less citrus than Guerlain in the topnotes.
    I detect lemon and some lavender in CV, then a powdery vetiver/woods.
    With Guerlain, it's lime/bergamot with some coriander, then peppery vetiver/grass.
    Carven's actually lasted fairly well on me despite it's reputation on here for subpar longevity.

I finally got a bottle of L'Occitane Vetyver and do not like it much. Somewhat medicinal, alcoholic, fleeting herbs, and a little vetiver. Maybe I need more time with this one.

MJH

I like the Carven well enough: prim, straightlaced, correct.
    It lasts well enough on me, but I hate the fact that, whenever I wear it,
    I realize I'm secretly craving a more intense, more flavorful vetiver experience,
    but know that I.....settled....on the Carven knowing that it was safe.

On the other hand, I'm slightly addicted to Guerlain's Vetiver.
    It was my first Guerlain, and my first exposure to Guerlainade
    (even though I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who notices it in
    Guerlain Vetiver). The citrus-y top-notes remind me a bit of old-fashioned
    eaux de cologne, while the Guerlainade provides a soft cushion of
    hay notes (tonka bean) that always make me think of driving in the Ohio
    countryside on a summer night, smelling the clover and hay.

Vétiver.... I'm very fond of the root, so I can hardly compare only two perfumes !

Guerlain "Vétiver" (the original) is (was?) my all-time favorite.... a beautiful creation, true to Guerlain's savoir faire: fresh start, complex notes evolving to a fantastic tabac/woody scent. The vetiver root is of great quality, from 'La Réunion' where Guerlain had its plants. But the new/revisited Vétiver from Guerlain.... it seems like the original one but it differs a lot, mostly in the subtle evolution of the scent. A true disappointment.

Serge Lutens "Vétiver Oriental". An extraordinary combination of vetiver root with amber and musk. It's a very complex scent, magnificent, woody and oriental. I simply love it.... May not be good for everyday use (it's strong and musky) but it's perfect for special occasions, like all great perfumes are.

Then there is one from Etro. If you were disappointed from the change in the Guerlain "Vétiver", I'll suggest this one. It's close to the original. It's a nice juice but it doesn't evolve much on the skin. I'd say it's good for the office....

Editions de Parfums (F. Malle) "Vétiver Extraordinaire". In my opinion the best vetiver around... It's true to the root, woody and spicy ! Loads of woody extracts, with the vetiver screaming in the middle. Perfect for daily use if you dare something strong !!! I'd say it's a perfect combination with the vetiver from Lutens. This one is woody where the other one is oriental...

Annick Goutal "Vétyver". A disappointment... it smells like the sea... it has a marine note, very strong. It's sad because the vetiver root used in it is of good quality (from Java). Maybe something to use in the summer...

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier "Sur la route du vétiver". Fantastic !!! This is simply amazing: it simply smells like a vetiver root freshly extracted ! It's earthy, humid and woody. The most original and the most true to the root itself. It is very special and not everyone will like it, not a every day scent in my opinion... if you care for the people around you ! But if you like vetiver scents, you'll love this !

Artisan Parfumeur "Vétiver". Not bad, not very exciting. Good for daily use....

Carven "Vetiver". A very old vetiver, hard to find ! It's good but not very special. I'd say it's for a daily use if you like something more conventional.

Creed "Vetiver". Again, a conventional vetiver, with marine notes.

There are a few more around, Lanvin, Azzaro but in my opinion, not worth a test or a comparison...

So in short... Try the combination/rotation Malle Lutens and MPG !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Carven!!!

Something about Guerlain really annoys my nose and makes it curl but Carven is fresh, elegant and understated, a soothing, calming anti-stress scent, perfect workhorse vetiver for the office! *[smiley=smiley.gif] And it lasts the whole day, at least on my skin.
    I agree - except for the lasting qualities. If you use enough, though it lasts as well as most of my fragrances. The older one, with the darker green packaging is the one to get - if you can.

Trot

The Carven was nothing but disappointment for me. I couldn't wait until I could find someone I knew in a far away city who needed a gift. It is like water. No sillage, no lasting ability, no punch, nothing to wake you up so you can skip the coffee. Just plain a puddle of water caught in plastic tarp kind of scent.
    I have the new Carven Vetiver and this is exactly how I feel about it. With Guerlain Vetiver you may love or hate it but you won't compare it to water.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by nego
    In my opinion the best vetiver around...
    Ditto that. Its SUBLIME!!

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Vetiver Extraordinaire is truly sublime and not an impossible leap from Guerlain or Carven. Nice post, Nego!

Just got the Carven Vetiver. In terms of value, I'll have to say that at $9ish it is fairly good value.

It seems to be rather similar to the Guerlain but gets rid of the citric elements. Duration so far seems to be good; about the same as Guerlain, perhaps a bit more subtle. The Carven seems to be more of a straight vetiver scent while Guerlain more complex.

All in all, I would say it might be a tie for me. Maybe the older Guerlain and Carvens were better. Both seem wonderful to me to wear in the summer or when I don't know what to wear.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Right now I am wearing Carven Vetiver which is having similarities, oddly enough to................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .........................................Caswell Massey Sandalwood. Doesn't make sense, but since I adore CM Sandalwood, I don't mind at all. I think a couple years ago I noted that CM Sandalwood seemed to have a vetiver note in it, so this seems like things have come full-circle.

Carven Vetiver is fairly subtle though. While I don't agree with the "smells like a puddle of water" comments about it, it is a lot more subtle than Guerlain, which has quite a bit of citrus in it.

All in all, I am glad I got the Carven (at least right now).
    I guess this makes me a contrarian? [smiley=rolleyes.gif]
    K

In my opinion Vetyver Guerlain and Vetyver Carven are both good and classic fragrances.

Guerlain is much more vetiver note, and the best vetyver version that i know.

Carven is more patchouly, woody fantasie, sweet spicy, powdery...

Post Thanks / Like

There is no contest between these two in my book, Guerlain's Vetiver walking all over the Carven! The Carven is nice enough, to put it politely, but it is simple, dull and ponderous, and quickly slinks off to nowhere. The Guerlain, on the other hand, leaps forward with citrus and vetiver, and then engages in a long-lasting, delightful evolution during which tobacco appears, the vetiver lasts, and it remains polished and sparkling on through to the end. In car terms, the Guerlain is like an Aston Martin while the Carven is like a Dodge.

YMMV.

Jeff

The Carven Vetiver is just _so_ weak. It is hard to apply enough to be able to compare it to the Guerlain.

Artisan Parfumeur "Vétiver" smells more like pure vetivert essential oil than either Carven or Guerlain. So the comparison is not really which fragrance smells the most like natural vetivert or even which is the best interpretation of true vetivert . Rather with cologne is a better vetivert dominate (blend) . In that case there really is no contest. Guerlain Vetivert has become the vetivert dominate fragrance by which all others are judged .

I am wearing Carven Vetiver today and I will say again that it is just so weak. I must have applied 20 sprays from the bottle and can hardly smell it. I will have to decant into a stopper bottle so that I can use it as a body splash.

Be careful, there are two versions from the Carven vvétiver: one from 1957 (hard to find) and the "vétiver dry" from 1988. Is it the second one you're referring to ?

The one that I find so weak is apparently a newer version, it comes in a bottle that looks like a hip flask:
    http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens/details.cfm?id=1306

It is not the one pictured in the Basenotes Directory:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121666.html

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this old thread...

I have never smelled vintage Carven Vetiver. How does it, compare to vintage Guerlain Vetiver?