Code of Conduct

Default The New Fragrances From Bond No. 9

I've tried all the Bond No. 9 fragrances, but have only chosen to purchase one - New Haarlem. While some of them were quite interesting, I didn't find that I wanted to add the other scents to my wardrobe.

However, I was just sent the two newest fragrances from Bond, The Hamptons and Chinatown. I'm happy to report that both are excellent. Hamptons is a very nice, fresh scent that reminds me of a more refined Cool Water. But, to me, the standout is Chinatown - I can't even describe how it smells other than to say that it is highly unusual and complex, yet extremely smooth and wearable. It seems to be a gourmand, with hints of mild spice, vanilla and some mystery note that may be coconut (?). Yet, it is not cloying in the least. A definite future purchase!!

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumičre Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: The New Fragrances From Bond No. 9

Coincidence? I just purchased New Haarlem last night as I was so savoring my sample of it that I thought I would be depressed if I ever ran out of this scent. It was by far the most unique and yet comforting of the line that I tried. So many of the other ones were good...but all seemed a bit derivitive of other scents. "This is GIT with a twist", etc. Not with New Haarlem, that is for sure. I have a bunch of the samples that I will be working my way through. Riverside Dr. also caught my attention...

I love Little Italy.

I love H.O.T Always.

Bond No. 9 rules. Congratualtions on discovering the olfactive gems of this house.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    I've tried all the Bond No. 9 fragrances, but have only chosen to purchase one - New Haarlem. *While some of them were quite interesting, I didn't find that I wanted to add the other scents to my wardrobe.

However, I was just sent the two newest fragrances from Bond, The Hamptons and Chinatown. *I'm happy to report that both are excellent. *Hamptons is a very nice, fresh scent that reminds me of a more refined Cool Water. *But, to me, the standout is Chinatown - I can't even describe how it smells other than to say that it is highly unusual and complex, yet extremely smooth and wearable. *It seems to be a gourmand, with hints of mild spice, vanilla and some mystery note that may be coconut (?). *Yet, it is not cloying in the least. *A definite future purchase!!

- Brad *
    Hey, it's been a long time and if I remember correctly, we have similar taste.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Chinatown, Hamptons and the ALMIGHTY New Haarlem.
    Chinatown is definitley Unique. I tried to bid on ebay but was outdone.
    I'm still holding out for a good deal for them both.

I really like New Haarlem as well, but it's not as unique as all that... In fact, it's a dead ringer for Rochas Man. I haven't tried Chinatown or The Hamptons yet, but they are on my hitlist for my next visit to Harvey Nicks.

Steely

After receiving a generous sample of Hamptons, I tried it as a splash and a spray. From the description, I expected something far more interesting than it proved to be. On my skin, I found it to be mediocre at best.
    As always, try before you buy.

I own and enjoy H.O.T Always and Riverside Drive.

I must respectfully disagree with the post saying that New Haarlem is a dead ringer for Rochas Man. While Rochas certainly has its fans, I personally find it much less complex and cloyingly sweet in comparison to New Haarlem. Basically, I would describe the Rochas as cotton candy, while the NH is a wonderful warm blend of coffee, vanilla and exotic spices. To me, it's like comparing a can of Chicken-of-the-Sea to a top quality ahi tuna served at a fine restaurant.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

i found chinatown to be leaning hard on the feminine side.....whatcha think?

I detest the house of bond.

Hamptons is the ONLY fragrance I have worn that got me unsolicited female compliments EVERY time I've worn it!

i found chinatown to be leaning hard on the feminine side.....whatcha think?
    That seems to be what was intended.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1108562712

"Created by Aurelien Giuchard of Givaudan, Chinatown features top notes of peach blossom; middle notes of peony, gardenia and tuberose, and base notes of cardamom and dark woods. ăThis is for a young girl, an avant-garde woman,ä said Rahme. ăItâs not a classic fragrance ÷ itâs for more of a young crowd, someone who is adventurous in fashion, food and fragrance"
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Chinatown is about the only one I haven't tried because it did seem marketed for women. I do, however, have Madison Soiree which is marketed the same--love how it comes across as fresh and not so flowery for a floral fragrance.

Wall Street is still my favorite from the house, and the one I consider to be the most unique.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I agree with Bark that Riverside is among the more unique offerings from this house. Chez Bond is a bit like GIT, without the edge.....a softer more rounded rendition. When I'm in the mood for a statement, I wear GIT, while going for Chez Bond when in a more understated mood.

Hot Always is also a unique scent......one of our members compared it to the musty smell of his family cabin. I can see that. I also see a subdued oakmoss that evokes comparison (favorable) to some of the more overt offerings launched in the 80's and 90's.

Wall Street is one I like....sort of a marine scent. I can't wear it more than a few days in a row though without getting bored with it. There's something about it that tires my nose.

Hamptons....I've only sampled this, but based on the sample, I like it alot. It reminds me more of SMW than it does GIT....again, without the brightness of SMW. The upside of Hamptons is that it lasts significantly longer on my skin.

I got a sample of Chinatown....and honestly can't remember much what it smelled like. I do remember opening it, taking a whiff, and handing it to my wife. But.....I don't think she's worn it much either. Probably one of those "tweener" scents that you either like or don't, irrespective of whether your male or female.

Cheers,
    Jim

i find that wall street and hamptons smell very similar.....anyone think the same?

My original post was premature. After letting the Chinatown dry down, I must say that it really did become more feminine as the day wore on. Not so crazy about it anymore.

I will, however, say that Hamptons is really very nice. Like others have said, it is very similar to SMW but even better and lasts much longer. May be a keeper...
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Must be the lethal combination of tuberose with the vanilla. I love the mix and find it less feminine than many masculine, designer frags, like Angel, Limpika, and Richas - Man.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    My original post was premature. *After letting the Chinatown dry down, I must say that it really did become more feminine as the day wore on. *Not so crazy about it anymore.

I will, however, say that Hamptons is really very nice. *Like others have said, it is very similar to SMW but even better and lasts much longer. *May be a keeper...

OH! ARRRG!
    Your words cut me like a knife! HAHA!
    I LOVE the chinatown, i tried my sample again last night and it is really really good.
    I can see how some would call it "feminine" but to me it is my kind of scent.
    It's strange but it reminds me of a combo of Dia for men and New Haarlem with a bit of a powdery note in there somewhere.
    I like it. I also like the Hamptons more so than SMW. However, I thonk I may have had a bad bottle of SMW.

Hamptons is a nice fresh scent, just waiting for the gray market/swap market to heat up to buy myself a bottle. [smiley=grin.gif]
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust