Code of Conduct

Default Silver Mountain Water question/observation

I just received a 4oz bottle of SMW in the mail today from scentiments and to me it smells like liquor. I had sampled it at a perfume shop in Louisville, KY a while back and liked it then but when I smell it now it reeks of whiskey, watermelon wine, etc. Is this the tea and black currant note??? I don't know because my nose isn't as trained as some on here and I know there a lot of basenoters that love SMW and could give me their take on this. Please chime in.

Default Re: Silver Mountain Water question/observation

Smells like whiskey? That's VERY odd.

Where did you order yours from? I ordered a bottle of SMW online and they sent me a "gone bad" bottle. SMW is fairly notorious for gone-bad online purchases. I don't know why, it just seems like it's a rather 'fragile' fragrance that is spoiled eaisly by sitting in a hot warehouse for a long time.

It should smell like a cup of tea with cream and honey, and just a tad bit of spice (the black currant smells a bit like pepper).

If it's not what you sampled, send it back and ask for a refund. Don't try for an exchange, chances are they'll send you another bottle from the same spoiled box.

I just got a bottle from Perfumebay.com and the black current note is a little more up front than I remember, but I still think it smells great!

I got it from scentiments.com and have NEVER gotten anything bad from them before. I will try it again tomorrow and see if it still smells bad/fermented or whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    I just got a bottle from Perfumebay.com and the black current note is a little more up front than I remember, but I still think it smells great!
    That rancid black currant note that is overpowering and smells like it has gone bad is the sign of a bad bottle. The green tea should be up front and the black currant faintly in the background hiding.

Just put in the fridge, let it cool. Everything will work out fine. I have had good experiences with Scentiments.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Sentient----- I had actually wondered if refrigerating the SMW would help it any as it has been awfully hot lately. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    Sentient----- I had actually wondered if refrigerating the SMW would help it any as it has been awfully hot lately. Thanks
    Yes, it has pretty hot lately. I would leave it in at least overnight to see if it settles back to its original form.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Cool-----------no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    [quote author=cookesoul link=1122333574/0#6 date=1122340484]Sentient----- I had actually wondered if refrigerating the SMW would help it any as it has been awfully hot lately. Thanks
    Yes, it has pretty hot lately. I would leave it in at least overnight to see if it settles back to its original form.[/quote]

I think I'm gonna leave my bottle in for about a week and see what it does. I left it in for a few hours and it didn't really do anything. I was worried about leaving it in too long because I didn't want my precious SMW to absorb the fragrance of leftover fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    I was worried about leaving it in too long because I didn't want my precious SMW to absorb the fragrance of leftover fish.
    There is a zinger in there but since so many here seem to worship this fragrance I'll refrain. * *

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Just put in the fridge, let it cool. Everything will work out fine. I have had good experiences with Scentiments.
    Doing this will only retard the process further. Unfortunately, the chemical reactions are not mechanistically reversible upon chilling.

What should I do then??????

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    What should I do then??????
    I'd recommend going to NM, if there's one by you, and sniff their tester bottle. If you're sure you have a bad bottle, definitely send it back. If they give you any problems, just point them to this thread.

There's no NM near me but there is a neat little perfume/cologne shop in the St. Matthew's Mall in Louisville, KY (about 80 miles away) that I frequent about once a month and they carry all of the Creed offerings. It's where I first smelled the likes of SMW, GIT, Himalaya, MI, and Tabarome--all of which I now gladly own except for the SMW so far. Thanks for the .02

Gee cookesoul, don't freakout over this. Put it in the fridge and sleep sound. Cooler temperature slow down chemical reactions. It would be better than leaving it outside. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    -- Marcel Proust

I put mine in my fridge a few weeks ago & my observations are that refrigeration has only improved the fragrance marginally, do not hessitate or delay if you can obtain a refund...

Let your nose be your pilot

The refrigeration did absolutely nothing for the juice---it is definitely not wearable. I'm going to call the company and see what they can do to help me out.

dr_spine

i bought mine from scentiments also. for the first couple of weeks, it smelled fine i thought. but i don't know if i am being paranoid or not, but i am thinking i am starting to detect that sharp overpowering black currant note. should i just finish this bottle off? do you think if i bought a new bottle from Neiman Marcus, would it smell "normal"??