Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MUST HAVE SUMMER SCENTS: Calypso Marine

One of my favorite marine fragrances, Christian Celle Calypso Marine is a perfectly-priced, amazing summer fragrance!

Beautyhabit.com writes:

Musky wood smell of sea grass and driftwood warmed by the hot sun. This refreshing fragrance has top notes of bergamot, raspberry, nutmeg and bamboo leaves. Mid notes of salty marine accord, patchouli leaves and lotus flower mix with dry notes of driftwood, sandalwood, soft musk and white amber.

On initial blast, this scent is very much about ylang ylang. At once slightly salty and bitter, and airy and fresh, think Erolfa but with a cleaner sweeter tinge. The middle notes reveal the raspberry and nutmeg combo, but this is merely one facet of the fragrance's middle passage to the ambery musky drydown. This raspberry and nutmeg reminds me of del Pozo's On EL, another great summer scent, but far too fleeting for my tastes. The bamboo leaves add a kick of green and the lotus in the base travels up to the middle bouquet offering a hint of floral. The drydown is divine with a melange of sandalwood, musk, amber and patchouli, but all incredibly subtle and light. Though it sounds like a sweet heavy oriental, it is absolutely nothing of the sort.

This scent's closest comparison is Body Shop's Oceanus, but where Oceanus is sweet and somewhat cloying, Marine is lighter, simpler, and lightyears more intersting in its development.

The lasting power is ideal, subtly staying on my skin from shower to shower. This is one that is a must try for marine scent lovers and anyone looking for something completely original for summer.

Marine can be purchased at Beautyhabit.com, 3.4 oz edt spray for $55.

marlen

Default Re: MUST HAVE SUMMER SCENTS: Calypso Marine

Do ya have to do this marlen!! Just when I thought I had my habit under control! [smiley=laugh.gif]

Anway, it sounds great. Went to the website and thought the Calypso Homme looked interesting also. Have you tried that also?

Looks like I'm going to spring for the PdN trio they have for sale also. Three, 100 ml. bottles for $90. I love Cologne Sologne and will "blind" the others.

So, just a friendly "damn you" for this. [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Christiane Celle's Calypso line is a great series of fragrances. I have Calypso Homme, Calypso Chevrefeuille, and Calypso Amber, as well as samples of Vanille and Marine. I can attest to Marlen's assessment: Marine is a great summer scent and would work equally well all year round as a nice, unobtrusive go-to scent. Of course, the same can be said for Calypso Homme. Now there is a summer scent! From the Beautyhabit site:
    Homme - A unisex fragrance with fresh notes of tangerine, tarragon, grapefruit and musk - creates a refreshing and clean citrus.

Chevrefeuille - A splash of fresh and green honeysuckle with a twist of orange and bergamot, which slowly settles in an amber and musky vanilla.

Amber - A warm and delightful blend of lemon, bergamot on top- geranuim, jasmin and vanilla in the middle - and based upon golden amber, cedar and patchouli.

Another one of the unjustly overlooked lines.

Aaron

Very high on my wish list. I wish I'd bought it instead of the Calypso Homme. Not that the Homme is bad, just a bit too tropical and sweet for me, which is why I hardly ever wear it and would love to swap / sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Do ya have to do this marlen!! *Just when I thought I had my habit under control! [smiley=laugh.gif]

.....*Went to the website and thought the Calypso Homme looked interesting also. *Have you tried that also?
    *[smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    I had Calypso Homme, and found the tangerine and grapefruit to be a bit sharp, not as well balanced a fragrance as some of the other citrus-based scents I've tried. I am looking fwd to trying Calypso Marine based on Marlen's review!

Cheers,
    Jim