Code of Conduct

Default L'Autre and Givenchy Gentleman

I sampled L'Autre Dyptique for the first time yesterday and actually liked it quite a bit.
    The drydown reminded me of something I currently have in my fragrance wardrobe but I couldnt quite place it.
    After a while I realized it was something I havent worn in the past year. Givenchy Gentleman. Not the topnotes, but
    something in there seems similar to me. Maybe its the civet along with the dry wood notes. Anyone ever got a similar impression of these 2 fragrances? I understand that they are not identical twins but possibly second cousins [smiley=undecided.gif]

Default Re: L'Autre and Givenchy Gentleman

both are patchouli monsters [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

ONE RESPONSE IN OVER 3HRS. O.K where are all of the niche fragrance proponents who know the complete line of Dyptique like the palm of their hand.

NO kidding, sometimes this site seems to be driven by the daily Polls posted and hashing over the same crap like.... Angel Man versus Rochas Man.... jeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Gee sorry to disappoint smellitnow. Let us know what type of review you want, basnoters will meet it [smiley=grin.gif]
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I WAS JUST CURIOUS if anyone else could see a similarity in the drydown of these 2 fragrances.

Also I recently received a sample of Bond #9 *(Chez Bond) that smelled strikingly similar to Jordache for men I purchased back in the mid 90's. *Not as refined mind you, but to damn close for the price difference IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow
    ONE RESPONSE IN OVER 3HRS. O.K where are all of the niche fragrance proponents who know the complete line of Dyptique like the palm of their hand.

NO kidding, sometimes this site seems to be driven by the daily Polls posted and hashing over the same crap like.... Angel Man versus Rochas Man.... jeeeeeeeeeeeeez
    Give it a while--some people can't logon until they get home from work.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

To be honest, there are probably only a handful of people on Basenotes who would consider wearing L'Autre... the scent is really "out there", so I don't think many of us can give an informed opinion comparing the two.

There are some dedicated fans here though.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Shame, this work thing getting in the way of a more timely response

L'Autre starts out in such an odd way that I've never really made it to the drydown. Perhaps it evolves into a nice fragrance, similar to Gentleman....that I'll never know! As you've already pointed out, in the top notes, the two are incomparable. For me, the top notes make L'Autre unwearable.

On the other hand, I don't have the same visceral reaction to Gentleman. For me, it opens up with an oddly fresh yet dirty combination of notes. I was surprised to find no oakmoss in its notes, because something about it reminds me of a more elegant Kouros. Gentleman is one I go to when looking for a classic.

But, that's just my nose. I've been known to find similarities where others don't, so its probably not out of the question that I'm missing some relationship here!

Cheers,
    Jim