Code of Conduct

Default scentemental's choice

[blue]Hi everyone.

Iím back after an eight week vacation to Australia to see my family, a computer crash right before I left for vacation, and major teething problems over the last week since Iíve been back with my new computer and wireless connection. I am, however, up and running and ready to talk with all my Basenotes friends and acquaintances. My apologies at the outset to all those whom I unwittingly and so abruptly broke correspondence with just before I left. I will be touching base with you all soon.

Having been away and coming back after eight weeks, I can honestly say with great appreciation and thanks that Basenotes truly is a ďstill point in a turning worldĒ. Glad to see the conversation(s) is/are continuing with such enthusiasm.

Iíll provide a full report of my adventurers with new scents over the past two months in a separate postings soon. For the moment, I thought some of you might find it amusing to hear of the dilemma that confronted me when I was about to leave for Australia to start my vacation/visit with my family. I knew taking one or two scents was out of the question. I did try very hard, however, to make very practical and limited choices for the Australian winter (55 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit), and given the fact that Iíd be gone for eight weeks, I wanted to make sure I had a reasonable range of fragrances that would see me through the eight week and the various situations I would find myself in. I didnít want to and I knew, for all intents and purposes, that I couldnít/shouldnít be carrying enough fragrances into Australia to start up a retail business. (The fact that I could easily have done so if I didnít practice restraint is rather embarrassing.) How would I explain such a large number fragrances to Australian customs officers, who unlike most other Australians, tend not to have a sense of humor? After much soul searching, I settled on one third, one half, and in some cases one ounce decants of the follow fragrances; although, as it transpired, I could have gotten by with much smaller amounts:

*Jaipur Pour Homme EDP*
    *…goÔste*
    *Comme des GarÁons 2 EDP
    *Cuiron*
    *Oliban EDP*
    *Passage díEnfer*
    *Poivre Piquant*
    *Lolita Lempicka au Macsculin*
    *Patricia de NicolaÔ Vetyver*
    *Douce AmŤre EDP*
    *Thierry Mugler Cologne*
    *Rive Gauche Pour Homme*

The interesting thing is that I gave all these fragrances a good and about an equal wearing, but there was one fragrance among this bunch that garnered universal and consistent approbation from men and women of all ages. There was a clear, stand-out favorite among the Aussies. Anyone care to guess which fragrance reigned supreme?

Best regards, and it really is great to be back,

scentemental[/blue]

Default Re: scentemental's choice

i'm guessing Mugler Cologne or Jaipur

. . . with my luck i bet its gonna be one of the more obscure ones though lol like CDG 2.

Welcome back Scentemental. WOW! EIGHT WEEKS! Now THAT'S a vacation! I hope you had a great time. I sense a hint of carryover vacation-lag ecstasy in your post despite the computer related problems you've encountered. I'm sure that's a situation we can all relate to. Then again, there's a small measure of satisfaction to be gained from sorting out all the connections, conflicts, and anomalies and getting all the 0's and 1's working again. My guess (and believe me it is nothing more than that) is that Rive Gauche was the big winner.

Welcome back to the fray.

Regards-Aaron

Welcome back!!! There can be only one that you're talking about: Rive Gauche What do I win?

Welcome back! [smiley=smiley.gif] My guess is (but of course!) …goÔste.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

I wanna say Mugler Cologne...but only because of my personal bias of this fragrance . It's my goal to obtain a bottle of this as cheaply as I can w/in the next month.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I am going to let a number of people guess some more before I divulge the answer.

The prize for guessing correctly is my undying admiration for your powers of deduction and empirical observation. Two things not to be lightly dismissed. [smiley=happy.gif]

Welcome back. I was wondering why you hadn't posted in so long, or updated your decant list.

I'm guessing CDG 2. It maybe a bit strange, but everyone who smells it around me loves it.

Douce Amere or Lolita Lempicka, what else!

Lolita or A*Men?

MMM

Passage d'Enfer!

Mugler Cologne!
    Welcome back!

Another vote for Douce Amere ... that would be a standout to me from that list.

Overcome By Fumes

Poivre Piquant

Welcome back.

I'm going to go with Cuiron for my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    Welcome back.

I'm going to go with Cuiron for my guess.
    I'm going with Cuiron too; it seems to be the most different out of the bunch. Welcome back, my friend! Missed ya!
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I narrowed my guess to Lolita and Cologne. Of the two, I would have to go with Cologne. Glad to have you back.

Kouros!

Seriously I think its Rive Gauche.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Winter in australia, so guessing a gourmand - Douce Amere.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

MJH

I'm going to guess Passage d'Enfer, since it's the one from your list that gets me the most compliments.

Welcome back, Scentemental!

WELCOME BACK! Missed you around here! [smiley=beer.gif]

My guess is Rive Gauche...2nd guess would be Mugler Cologne.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Welcome back! If you spent a lot of time outdoors on your trip, I'll guess Mugler Cologne. However, if you were inside a lot I'll guess Douce Amere.

Jeff

Welcome back Mr.L.
    My guess would be
    Chanel's Egoiste

Cg
    CG

Rive Gauche or Lolita!!

Jaipur Pour Homme EDP

Welcome Scentmental [smiley=wink.gif]. The question is easy,friend,:

Lolita Lempicka.
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Welcome back Scentmental!
    I guess Mugler Cologne or Lolita Lempicka au Masculin.
    It's good to hear you had a long trip to Australia and hope you had a great time and solved all your troubles!

Welcome back!

I'd bet the farm on Rive Gauche

The suspense is killing me! Which one was it? (Had to be Rive Gauche...)
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Default THE ANSWER REVEALED

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    The suspense is killing me! Which one was it? (Had to be Rive Gauche...)
    Okay Scentsei, no more suspense.

The one fragrance that constantly elicited positive responses over a wide range of ages from different men and women and got me compliments pretty much every single time I wore it, and the same goes for here in the US, is
    RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME.

Congratulations to: lazycalm, Octothorpe, Azsmells, Scentsei, innamoramento, and Indie_Guy. I suspect that you all "guessed" on the basis of experience.

I have a number of theories as to why *Rive Gauche Pour Homme* has such universal appeal, but for the moment let me reiterate what I've said before:

*Rive Gauche Pour Homme* is the scent equivalent of wearing a black, slightly open-neck shirt. Most men look half decent in such a shirt. Certainly the number that do drops dramatically if such a shirt is red or even gold, but *Rive Gauche Pour Homme* definitely seems to have this black shirt quality to it. I have grown to like it and admire it immensely. It took me a long time to get it, but I finally did. It's also one of my most versatile scents. It's one of those scents one doesn't have to be in the mood to wear. It definitely was the workhorse scent of my vacation in Australia.

Thanks to everyone for guessing.

Regards,

scentemental

Versatile and workhorse. Two rather apropos adjectives. And yes, it does get the compliments.

Aaron

welcome back dude, hope you invested in some RM William's boots to complement your fragrances?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Not surprised a bit. Together wit Bulgari PH it has rendered me more compliments than all the others together. However I thought it might be a little to old skool in surfer country, apparently not. Globally appreciated.
    Completely get and agree on the black-shirt comparison as well. In fact I seem to reach for it more often just when I am wearing all black.

MMM

Thanks for confirming my excellent powers of deduction. [smiley=grin.gif]

Hey Scentemental,

Its nice to have you back!

Luca Turin recently described Rive Gauche Pour Homme as "strikingly refined and understated in a field populated by loud and exuberantly hairy-chested fragrances" on his blog at:
    http://lucaturin.typepad.com/perfume...auche_pou.html